using ellipse wristband twice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are no tricks that I have seen.

Basically its the security at each venue doesn't know their shit and they do not know what their doing. They are not brief at the security meeting each day at 4 p.m. The supervisors are at the meeting but not the people on the front lines serving us show up late just to save a couple of dollars.

There is some fishy stuff some of the times but after a while you just can't be jealous at others over a period of time. They get in, they get in. Also you can't be upset at others(regulars) that you go to 1 to 3 U2 shows all GA, and you do not get in the ellipse. Then you see or hear about regulars who get in most of the time or less than half the time. Its gossip and rumors. If some regulars most of the time if not all the time base on your own imagination.
Its a free country. More power to them. During "Bad" its just like whet Bono says in the snippet "People have the Power".

bigwali said:

The tour regulars know all these tricks and some (not all) use them. Come on now, fess up.

Tour Regulars, have you done this and how many other tricks are there besides the one mentioned above and using a wristband
from a previous show?

Not sure I agree with the logic that is OK because they weren't taking anyone's place, they were obviously big fans of the band, and because it was being done by such as small number of people.

Its deception and circumventing the purpose and intent of the whole process instituted by U2. People tend to rationalize things to make them right in their mind even though it is violating some rule or some law.

Last edited:
MTEdge said:
With that said, the chances of actually getting past security with a reused wristband is slim (and slim left town two weeks ago). For example, at MSG, the GA process was as follows:

You enter the arena, your ticket gets scanned to make sure you have a valid ticket. You then proceed up a bank of stairs to the lottery scanning tables, and get scanned. Thereafter, you proceed on your long walk to the floor (up a cordoned of hallway to another person who either scans your ticket or makes sure you were a GA wristband, then up two banks of escalators and finally down another concourse to the Floor entry spot). Once on the floor, you get greeted by security to once again make sure you have a GA wristband. If however, you have an ellipse wristband as well then you turn left (walking along sections 54 through 61) to the ellipse UV inspection center. Here, they check your ticket (presumably for the right date) and your ellipse wristband (because of the change in colors).

If you pass this merry gauntlet, you deserve getting into the ellipse, especially since you're not screwing anyone. If you don't, then you deserve to be thrown out of the arena on your ass.

i never once got my ticket checked on the way into the ellipse, and i was inside the ellipse @ MSG for the 10/08 and 10/10 shows. just had to show my wristbands, get them scanned by the blacklight, and proceed into los elliptico

u2wedge said:

How can you even argue that is acceptable? You're not better than the scammers if you side with that philosophy. If you were on the floor and Alison handed a wristband to a person who was the holder of a 400 section nosebleed seat and you just missed your shot at the ellipse tell me you wouldn't be pissed off? If you say you wouldn't be you're lying.

Re-read my post. I believe I said " I don't agree with re-using wristbands and I'd never try it, but they're not taking anyone else's place." So no, I don't think it's acceptable, but I won't use "they're taking someone else's place!" as my argument b/c I know that's not true. :shrug:

Somehow I think the people using these scams are also the ones finding a way to get to the front or a prime spot therefore taking a prime spot from a legitimate ticket holder. I've seen it all in my time, folks. It isn't just U2 fans, it happpens at all sporting events for that matter. People move down all the time and try to get a better seat. Doesn't make it right though.

This thread reminds me of people who used to re-use their bus transfers every 12 months(I'm dating myself slightly)

The work the same 9-5 schedule for years on end, and would just have an archive full of transfers.

When they changed over to barcodes, a bus driver told me he busted a surprising number of people bucking the system.

u2fp

bigwali said:

The tour regulars know all these tricks and some (not all) use them. Come on now, fess up.

Tour Regulars, have you done this and how many other tricks are there besides the one mentioned above and using a wristband
from a previous show?

Its deception and circumventing the purpose and intent of the whole process instituted by U2. People tend to rationalize things to make them right in their mind even though it is violating some rule or some law.

This is true... and what i want to know is... whats the difference between re-using a wrist band, and scamming the lottery? I've seen it done.. one person gets scanned, but 7 people get in... MAGIC!

but you know what.. even if they did break down on the ones who re-used the wristbands, people would still find thngs to complain about if they werent right in the front.

it isn't "scamming the lottery" when they allow you to take more people in--that is a decision that Clear Channel makes.

In Detroit Allison stood right in front of the GA line as we were about to go in and shouted out to a fan (a male interferencer), "hey! how are you? gosh, i looked for you last night to give you a wristband and couldn't find you! be sure you find me tonight!! Some may say that isn't fair either--and if you'd seen the looks on all the people behind him, gah--it made me feel awful because everyone was so hoping they'd get scanned in. Anyway, management make their own decisions. And I agree with LivLuv and others, regardless of your position on re-using wristbands, it does not take the place of someone who would ordinarily win a spot. They don't have a turnstile or any counting method for the ellipse, and I've never seen it stuffed full...

So right or wrong, it doesn't take another fan's space. that argument just can't be shown to be true.

In L.A. - they were checking very carefully when the first allowed us entry. You first had to be checked for the floor wristband, then checked twice under blacklight to confirm your ellipse entry... :shrug:

In Detroit I had a woman pull super hard on my wristband to make sure it wasnt cut or anything.

Re-using wrist bands was being done by the time the tour reached San Jose. I didn’t do it myself but if I had thought of taking my old wrist bands and a tube of superglue I would have done.
If we hadn’t have been screwed in the first place by such an unfair system people would not have to resort to this.

Back
Top Bottom