U2 to perform at Live Aid 20th anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sami0201

Blue Crack Addict
found this on an Aerosmith message board (they were talking about Aerosmith at the show last night) anyway, I don't think I've seen this posted but if it has been, sorry.

Boston Globe
Living Arts
U2 even more powerful in second show
By Steve Morse, Globe Staff
May 27, 2005

U2 may be peaceniks, but they have a warrior mentality onstage. They were even more potent last night than they were at Tuesday's FleetCenter debut. The sound was better, the playing more impassioned, Bono's raps were more cohesive, and a few notable changes in the song sequence sent this show straight to the A-list of U2 memories.

An air of excitement was building early because U2 revealed backstage that it will perform at the just-confirmed 20th anniversary of Live Aid in London on July 2. ''We're looking forward to it. We definitely want to be a part of it," said bassist Adam Clayton, adding that the group has a show in Vienna that night, but would play earlier in the day.

Blastoff at the FleetCenter came with the same three songs from Tuesday -- a surging ''City of Blinding Lights" (with huge curtains of LED lights dropped from the overheard rigging), a bone-crunching ''Vertigo," and tribal, call-and-response vocals with the crowd on ''Elevation," as Bono addressed the fans as ''sexy people."

Then came a song the band didn't play Tuesday -- the euphoric ''Gloria," sung with a gospel vigor and enhanced by The Edge on vocal harmonies. Frankly, if you had polled the crowd right then and there, they might have said they already had their money's worth. I can't remember another band taking their fans higher after only four songs.

The upbeat tone was furthered by ''Beautiful Day," before Bono launched a long rap about how Boston was not just ''the city of Aerosmith and the Cars," but was filled with ''smart people who believe in the future, who have faith in the future." In introducing the song ''Miracle Drug," he talked about how Boston is known for its medical community and that ''God inspires scientists and nurses." He spoke more openly about God last night than he has in quite a while onstage -- and later he talked about religious leaders from Jesus to Mohammed and how they were ''all sons of Abraham."

Oh yes, and then they rocked. An anti-war theme ran through a powerful segue from punk-rocking ''Sunday Bloody Sunday" to the heavy-metal-drenched ''Bullet the Blue Sky," as Bono, draped in a white bandana, touchingly added verses from the Civil War song, ''When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again."

The song ''Running to Stand Still" was dedicated, without sarcasm, to the men and women of the US military. It was followed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights scrolled on a video screen, leading to a thunderous ''Pride (In the Name of Love)," a tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.

Bono, who often walked on a circular ramp extending halfway onto the floor (he also briefly played a drum out there), took the main set home with the spiritual exaltation of ''Where the Streets Have No Name" and ''One," which was prefaced by a poignant speech on the need to eradicate poverty and alleviate Third World debt.

The first encore was ''The Fly" (also not played on Tuesday), followed later by another new insertion, ''Original of the Species," from the latest album, ''How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." Most of the show had songs from Tuesday, but the few changes helped sharpen the focus of an already transcendently compiled program.

Openers Kings of Leon slammed through an uncompromising set of primitive, muleskinner rock with great energy and swagger.

The press releases from the past week all say "early July".

The July 2nd was assigned for the Party In The Park concert, now cancelled.

u2fp

Did either of you REALLY read that article? :huh:

An air of excitement was building early because U2 revealed backstage that it will perform at the just-confirmed 20th anniversary of Live Aid in London on July 2. ''We're looking forward to it. We definitely want to be a part of it," said bassist Adam Clayton, adding that the group has a show in Vienna that night, but would play earlier in the day.

Also, there's this new fangled invention called the plane that allows people to get to far away places rather quick... :wink:

There going to do 2 shows on the same day?

With a London-Vienna flight in between?

With their equipment and crew?(likely similar setup as 1997 Tibet freedom concert)

u2fp

Last edited:
I've read articles on the topic a dozen times in the past week. I skim read this one.

I'm just saying that other reports are only saying "early July".

I cannot think of any group that has played 2 shows on the same day, while keeping the quality control that is usual for U2.

Also, how many hours time difference are the 2 cities?

u2fp

they would probably only do a few songs at the first concert. I'm sure Bono could handle it, it's not gonna be like a whole 2 hour concert (I don't think?)

I was wondering, from a technical standpoint, whether the u2 setup could work in 2 cities.

I have a hunch that the show will be held on sunday, July 3rd. The show will be officially announced this tuesday.

Perhaps they will open the London show with a basic/acoustic set - and then do a live satelite feed from the Vienna show?

U2FP

I think the time difference is soemthing like an hour between London and Vienna, but i don't know how long it would take to fly there. I'm sure they could do it if they really wanted to. Maybe a live satellite feed from their concert. . . :hmm:

There's what, like 20 other acts playing? It's not like U2 gets to use their ellipse and light curtains and such, so they really just need to be there with their instruments, play like 3 songs, and they're off. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, especially for people who have private jets.

U2FanPeter said:
I've read articles on the topic a dozen times in the past week. I skim read this one.

I cannot think of any group that has played 2 shows on the same day, while keeping the quality control that is usual for U2.

u2fp

First of all, the concert is probably going to take place on Saturday July 2, because it will likely run well into the evening in Hyde Park, and they would rather have a late night ending on a Saturday then on a Sunday. In fact, I've heard that it's being billed as July 2-3, just for that reason, so who knows what time it might end on Sat. Night/Sun. Morning.

In regards to a group playing 2 shows in 1 day, I'm sure that's happened countless times. Now 2 shows in 2 Countries on the same day....that would probably be more rare. The one instance I can readily think of, just happens to be from 20 years ago, Live Aid I. Phil Collins played a set in Wembley, then boarded the Concorde and flew to the U.S., where he did another set at the U.S. portion of the show. U2 has it much easier, and I imagine with their own private jet at the ready, they will be able to make it to Vienna by 7 PM, so they can be ready for their own show. My guess is they will go on sometime in the afternoon, but we'll see I suppose.

U2FanPeter said:

Also, how many hours time difference are the 2 cities?

u2fp

I hate to be a pain :evil: but at the original Live Aid, Phil Collins played at both London and Philly, flying Concorde in between.

It's not unheard of.

and i just paid $200 to change my ticket so i can leave london on...July 2 :banghead:

ruffian said:
and i just paid $200 to change my ticket so i can leave london on...July 2 :banghead:

The question now is, will you pay another $200 to change it again to July 4?

I was so proud of myself for getting the 25,000 mile reward to fly home on a direct flight from London to LA on July 1. Now I'm going to need to use another 25,000 anyways, so I can fly back on July 4. This is kind of a once....or twice....in a lifetime event. Wonder how impossible it will be to get a ticket.

<<Phil Collins>>

He is one of the reasons the Zeppelin footage was cut from that recent Live Aid DVD. Ever heard what Page has to say about him?

I can think of a couple examples of people playing more than one show in seperate cities:

-Def Leppard promoted some album in the mid 1990's by playing 3 continents in 24 hours: Tangiers(?), London and Vancouver.

-Backstreet Boys did some 100 hour world promo tour with 5(?) continents.

-Rick Springfield(?) played the US Live Aid and Milwaukee in the same day.

-Spinal Tap did a one-day cross-canada tour in 92ish.

The difference was that they flew with the time zones in their advantage - u2 is doing the opposite.

I have no doubt that it's possible that U2 can be in the both places - I just don't think they can ALL the musical equipment and crew in both cities. This also needs to be cleared up with the Vienna promoter.

Another thing to think about is that U2 is likely the highest profile act on the bill. Would you want them on in the afternoon or the headliner? That's why I say they will perform a "b-stage" type set at london and then linkup footage from Vienna later.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

I have no doubt that it's possible that U2 can be in the both places - I just don't think they can ALL the musical equipment and crew in both cities. This also needs to be cleared up with the Vienna promoter.

Another thing to think about is that U2 is likely the highest profile act on the bill. Would you want them on in the afternoon or the headliner? That's why I say they will perform a "b-stage" type set at london and then linkup footage from Vienna later.
u2fp

While I'm not going to argue whether U2 is the highest profile act or not. They are U2, and are pretty Huge. However, given the fact that Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Madonna and even Pink Floyd are rumored to be performing, they will hardly have any trouble filling the evening headlining hours. I had heard that the Stones followed by McCartney would end the show, with the finale being McCartney & The Stones onstage to conclude the evening.

SoCalMusicLover said:

I have to believe it will. They will want an international type event, and not every act would be able to make it to London, and I've heard Washington DC mentioned as the site.

:ohmy:

I agree. Bitchin' Video Signature there.

Martha, I see you're also a Bruce fan. Did you get a chance to catch him at the Pantages? A couple of wonderful shows. I'm going to miss seeing him in Paris by 1 day next month unfortunately.

martha said:

I'm sorry dear. Did you say something? I was staring at your sig. You'll have to repeat whatever it was you said.

Thought my computer was acting up earlier when I caught myself not moving or typing while watching that.
Knew better however. :wink:

Excellent sig !! one4u2 :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom