Saitama IIi Setlist Watch and Party, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say, not the most exciting setlist they have done, especially considering its a 3rd night. Still, its not a bad one. I think the 2nd night setlist was the best out of the three though.

I've been liking what I've seen from the setlists lately. I hope U2 finally realizes they have a lot of "hit" songs that they can rotate in and out on various nights to keep the diehards and causal fans happy. Hopefully it carries over to the next tour.

Finally got a chance to look at this setlist - WOW. for those who've wanted them to mix it up, you got it, plus the new material. Not my "dream" setlist by any measure but would have been cool to be there.

Varitek said:
Finally got a chance to look at this setlist - WOW. for those who've wanted them to mix it up, you got it, plus the new material.

Mixing it up? 17 of the 22 songs were exactly the same as those played at the previous show. I wouldn't define that as "mixing it up".

Axver said:

Mixing it up? 17 of the 22 songs were exactly the same as those played at the previous show. I wouldn't define that as "mixing it up".

for U2 thats monumental

theu2fly said:
22 songs seems rather Elevation-y...

I thought the Bomb standard was 24?

No, the average is around 22, though Europe was around 23.

By Elevation's third leg, concerts were struggling to reach even 20 songs. 19 was becoming a standard.

maycocksean said:
Vertigo as a closer seems like the sort of idea that sounds good in theory, but I don't think it would actually work that well in practice.

I think I'll keep my One Tree Hill closer and go to bed happy!

I think it was great twice, It's a great way to leave the concert.. :D

Axver said:

And 21 of the 22 songs were played at the previous 2 Tokyo shows. Monumental even for U2? Hardly. Check out the Dublin/Chicago/Boston/Toronto variations on the previous legs - that is more or less monumental for U2.

bgmckinney said:

I tend to think after OTH they realized how good that song it is, but decided it was too similar in mood to work with Kite.
At Saitama I, the sequencers start the intro to OTH, and the audience erupts. Bono says "This is a song - " and then he stops. "Wow," he says, after a pause. "God bless you." He was obviously taken aback by the reception the song was receiving. He gave up on the introduction and started singing.

See now this just kills me. I was there! And I don't remember any of this! (Maybe I was too busy trying to stay on my feet when the audience erupted that I missed what Bono said).

maycocksean said:

See now this just kills me. I was there! And I don't remember any of this! (Maybe I was too busy trying to stay on my feet when the audience erupted that I missed what Bono said).

My first time on the floor at a U2 show, I was at the tip of the heart, but I still missed a lot of what Bono said. I'd been in the arena with the noisy crowd for so long by the time the band came on my ears were already buzzing before the music started.

RobboAus said:

How come?

Most likely that the band didn't want to play continuos Achtung Baby material, or touch POP... coming off of a semi-successful POP tour in America, they were risking playing material such as that.

bgmckinney said:

A better question is why Vertigo shows are so long. 19 was about standard for the JT Tour, too, I think, and back then they definitely weren't lazy.

U2 have a lot more songs now than they did in 1987.

Alisaura said:

U2 have a lot more songs now than they did in 1987.

I don´t see how that makes a difference. They could easily play 25 songs in 1987 as well. Elevation Tour had more or less the same average song count as the JT tour.

It is true that one of the greatest things about the V-Tour is that the shows were longer. The Vienna show I went too was about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom