Observation about repeat stage appearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*Ally* said:
hmmm. if bono had serious concerns about a fan being too obesessed, and wanted to keep him/her 'happy' for fear of the repercussions of not doing so, i highly doubt that he would repeatedly bring that fan onstage. wouldn't that just feed into the very obesession that he's uncomfortable with? :shrug:
I was joking with that comment. That's what this smilie :wink: means.

Your friend Khelia, whom I met and spent some time with on the last tour and who is a nice person whom Bono would never have to be afraid of...does in fact engage in some of the activites I mentioned (multiple shows and "meeting" Bono multiple times in various places during and between tours). She also does a great job on stage. Because of this Bono is familiar with her, isn't afraid of her and knows she'll do a good job again, etc. Is it any surprise then that she is brought up multiple times? If she had done a bad job on stage the first time he brought her up, or was a scary stalker, or simply didn't attend that many shows and wasn't up front...than, no, she most likely wouldn't be brought up again. Again, no real formula here, but yes...persistance and familiarity do play a part for some fans, particularly those who make repeat appearances...which was the original poster's question.

Last edited:
eherncane said:
They were all small, petite, dark hair girls. Some had used a gimmick to get on stage at least once- wearing a belly dancer costume....

cydewaze said:

Hahaha, I'm sure Jessica would be tickled pink to be referred to as "small" and "petite". :D

LOL! I saw that comment, but I didn't even associate the small and petite part as having anything to do with me! :lol:

BTW, while I'm posting in here I'll just say that yes, the bellydancing was a gimmick, however, I AM a belly dancer in a U2 tribute band, so I consider it a legitimate gimmick if you know what I mean. :D

Unfortunately, I don't have any more GA, so I will never know if he would have recognized me again in normal clothes....however I did get to meet him in DC and he seemed to remember me before I reminded him who I was....so I can dream that it would have happened again!

Last edited:
atikicat said:

I was joking with that comment. That's what this smilie :wink: means.

thanks, i understand that you were joking. but the negative implications were there, despite your addition of the :wink:

do i know you, by the way? :confused:

No we've never met. And I apologize for my sarcasm. I didn't mean to offend.

I spent some time with Khelia and Ruth on the last tour in Chicago. Don't think you were there, because they both stayed with a friend of mine, as did I, and you weren't there or in line with us. I also provided them and everyone else with transportation and even gave Ruth my sign idea that helped her get brought up to play guitar at MSG.

Btw, I seem to remember Khelia getting brought up twice on the last tour...Chicago and Miami? I guess I'm wrong, as you surely would know. I know she was brought up once in Chicago and it was her birthday, right? For some reason I seem to think it happened again at some show I was at.

Last edited:
atikicat said:
No we've never met. And I apologize for my sarcasm. I didn't mean to offend.

no worries. i guess that's the problem with writing as opposed to speaking... i.e., things can be taken the wrong way. :wink:

i wasn't in chicago on the last tour, so we in fact have not met. khelia was onstage only once on Elevation- MSG, 10/25/01. :)

Last edited:
atikicat said:

I know she was brought up once in Chicago and it was her birthday, right? For some reason I seem to think it happened again at some show I was at.

hmmm, that was definitely not khelia! she was only pulled up at MSG. you must be thinking of someone else... :confused:

*Ally* said:

no worries. i guess that's the problem with writing as opposed to speaking... i.e., things can be taken the wrong way. :wink:

i wasn't in chicago on the last tour, so we in fact have not met. khelia was onstage only once on Elevation- MSG, 10/25/01. :)
Can that be right??? I know I saw her dance at least once with Bono in Chicago. It was on her birthday I think. In the Fall, not the Spring. They were at the Spring shows, but came to the one in the Fall because it was her birthday. I even remember Ruth pushing me out of the way to give her my spot on the rail for this reason (still not too happy about that...as I would've moved had she asked, or given Khelia my spot of my own free will even though I didn't know her that well). Anyway, I believe it was during Bad.

No, I know who Khelia is. I was with her 24hrs a day in Chicago. It wasn't someone else. Unless there's another girl named Khelia who looks just like her and is a friend of Ruth for whom Ruth pushed me out of the way and yelled, "No, that's Khelia's!":huh:

i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. i was not at *any* Chicago shows on Elevation, so i do not know who did or said what.

but i do know this: khelia was NOT at any of the chicago shows in the Spring on elevation. she went to one fall show in Chicago, and did NOT get onstage. and her birthday is in March.

i think this thread has gotten way off topic....

Last edited:
*Ally* said:
i think this thread has gotten way off topic....
I agree, but now this is driving me nuts. Why do I have such a distinct memory of one of them (I thought Khelia) being brought on stage? Ruth was never brought up other than to play guitar at MSG was she? I was never at MSG, and never saw any videos of either of them there. Weird.:eyebrow: I guess my memory is starting to go...it happens when you get old(er).:D Sadly, the "pushing" incident did happen and I ended up in the 2nd row after camping over-night in the cold and rain...after being their "driver" and footing all the expense of gas and parking.:( Not that that's a huge deal, but I guess it gets back to one of the topics of this thread...persistence/determination. Now that we're back on topic...I'll shut up.:silent:

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
So this way, of course girls who attend 20-30 shows are automatically going to have a better chance at getting pulled up more than once, b/c once Bono's decided to pull someone up and you're on the rail at 30 concerts, the odds are in your favor whether he recognizes you or not.

Am I making any sense?

I agree, If i had the same chances to go to a lot of shows, or to meet him, certainly he'd recognize me:wink:

atikicat said:

I agree, but now this is driving me nuts. Why do I have such a distinct memory of one of them (I thought Khelia) being brought on stage? Ruth was never brought up other than to play guitar at MSG was she? I was never at MSG, and never saw any videos of either of them there. Weird.:eyebrow: I guess my memory is starting to go...it happens when you get old(er).:D Sadly, the "pushing" incident did happen and I ended up in the 2nd row after camping over-night in the cold and rain...after being their "driver" and footing all the expense of gas and parking. Not that that's a huge deal, but still...:( And it does get back to the idea of persistance/determintion.

i'm staying out of this, because i was not there and have absolutely no knowledge of what happened in chicago 4 years ago. however, i think that if you have a problem with a particular person, you should probably say something to that person, rather than make accusations on a public message board that they don't even read. :|

I don't have a problem with anyone. If I thought it was a big deal, I would have said something at the time. No need for apologies then or now. I'm sorry that in trying to recall the concerts in Chicago that this stuff was brought up. I haven't thought about any of this since the day it happened. It's not important and I'll shut up.

Last edited:
Sorry to take this off topic quickly, I feel the need to clarify a couple things here.

First, please do not bad mouth Ruth. It is poor form to publically critcize someone like that, particulary when they do not post on the forum and cannot defend themselves.

Second, I was at the 2nd Fall show in Chicago on Elevation, but *Ally* is right. I was not on stage that night, Bad was not played, and it was not my birthday. I was there celebrating Ruth's birthday with her. It was the first night she showed her sign that she had brought with her to Chicago and later had when she was pulled up in NYC.

Sorry once again for the off topic post.

As for repeat stage appearances, most of the theories in this thread seem reasonable. My guess is the explanation as to why is some combination of these.

I have to admit....I'm a bit jealous....

I'm not female.....nor do I have tattoos like Dan....

Heck....I don't look like Bono (...just a little stab at my friend Gabe who was pulled up on stage for Detroit 2)

Worst of all.....I don't play guitar.....(I'm a bass player)

My desire isn't really to "be on stage" with the band.....as I've managed to have my own "moments" with U2 off the stage that will last my lifetime....

But I do realize....that despite the fact that Bono may or may not find my face familiar.....

....the facts mentioned above makes me realize that unless I can turn out "Party Girl" or "Angel from Harlem" on a six string...

....my chances of being on stage are slim to none...

:(

Which is ok.....really......(grabs tissue from Kleenex box).....because I have decided to find the best damn plastic surgeon who will transform me into a goddess of absolute beauty.......I will scalp all but one of my GA tickets to pay for the operation.

After which I will be plucked from the outter ellipse......in order to have my dance with Bono.

<Y'all know I'm jokin'>

:eyebrow: :no: :uhoh:

:lmao:

thanks for bringing some much-needed levity to this thread, solacevip! :up: i like the sound of your plan... :sexywink:

Mark. what about Dec. 10th? April and I have it all worked out, remember? :sexywink:

Harlequinn said:
Sorry to take this off topic quickly, I feel the need to clarify a couple things here.
Likewise, and if I could pm rather than waste space here I would. It wasn't my intention to criticize or bad mouth anyone. I mentioned some things that took place that I wasn't happy about, but that it wasn't a big deal. There was no name-calling or maliciousness in what I said. Had I any "bad" feelings even then, I wouldn't have insisted on driving you both to the train station the next day, rather than let you walk with all your stuff as you intended to do...or given you both hugs goodbye. Remember the guy who gave us all a ride to McDonald's in the middle of the night to get something to eat when we were camping out and his car got towed away? I barely knew him, but I went along in the cab to get his car out of impound and offered to help with paying the hefty fine. I did these things for fellow fans and I would do them again for him, for you, for Ruth or anyone.

Again, sorry for going off topic...:reject:

I've got nothing else to say. If you do...here's my email.
atikicat@hotmail.com

Last edited:
*Ally* said:

:shocked:

Let me get this right - your two U2 buddies were brought up for 2 consecutive nights?? (I remember Ruth being brought up to play guitar on the 24th because I was at that show but I didn`t know Khelia went up the next night!). It`s just a matter of time for you!! :yes:

ladywithspinninghead said:

:shocked:

Let me get this right - your two U2 buddies were brought up for 2 consecutive nights?? (I remember Ruth being brought up to play guitar on the 24th because I was at that show but I didn`t know Khelia went up the next night!). It`s just a matter of time for you!! :yes:

yup, 2 consecutive nights! i must be a good luck charm for my friends... :wink: as for me, i am simply happy to share in others' wonderful experiences! :happy:

have a great time at the upcoming canada shows! :hyper:

UnforgettableLemon said:
Wouldn't it be crazy if some huge guy rushed the stage and got tackled, only to have the guards called off by Bono and then proceed to carry Bono around the stage like his newlywed bride?

:sexywink:

Check out one of the pix from the Melbourne 84 concert in "U2 Live". That is fair dinkum scary!

I don't think that I would consider "persistance" to be the key here... and I certainly don't think Bono pulls up the person that's most insistant on being noticed. Infact, in my experience, I was pulled on stage at my very first U2 concert. I carried no sign, waved no flag. It never occured to me that I might end up on stage. I was sincerely moved by the music and energy, and I think that Bono must have sensed this. It's not a particular look that he goes for... I think he's drawn to positive energy, and an emotional connection is formed. I think that making eye contact is essential, as the eyes are considered the "windows to the soul." (may sound cheesy, but it's true!) For those who have been pulled up multiple times, they have caught Bono's attention and have made this emotional connection... ofcourse the fact that they are fortunate enough to be able to attend multiple shows is directly responsible for these multiple appearances.

I have really beat myself up over the fact that I have no memory of my dancing experience, or the fact that I was completely mesmerized and, probably, unresponsive... but I am beginning to come to terms with it because U2 concerts have been more than a form of entertainment for me, they've been emotional outlets. So it's ok that I was an emotional mess :cool:

Achtung_Bebe said:
I don't think that I would consider "persistance" to be the key here... and I certainly don't think Bono pulls up the person that's most insistant on being noticed. Infact, in my experience, I was pulled on stage at my very first U2 concert. I carried no sign, waved no flag. It never occured to me that I might end up on stage. I was sincerely moved by the music and energy, and I think that Bono must have sensed this. It's not a particular look that he goes for... I think he's drawn to positive energy

Exactly what I keep saying...

:yes:

Miroslava said:
Mark. what about Dec. 10th? April and I have it all worked out, remember? :sexywink:

Miroslava are you headed to Cleveland?! I am desperate to go but didn't wanna go by myself. Let me know...if there are folk I know going I'm going to seriously try to get a ticket.

I am so glad to be back online. I have been in Europe for two weeks jonesing for Interference.

Back
Top Bottom