MERGED --> One month to Chicago + Chicago is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm there too. :wink: May 9th and 10th. Hoping to add the 7th and 12th. I have reserved for the two shows I have now, so I guess I'll be down by the docks too. Oooh it'd be so cool to meet them and get a picture. :drool: :drool:

Originally posted by govikesU2
I have GA tickets for May 7th. Does anyone else? When were you planning on going to wait in line? I've never been to Chicago before and don't really know where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I have reserved seats for the 7th, 10th, and 12th... but I do know that the GA ticketholders enter through the front doors of the venue .... There will be a "General Admission" sign posted at this entrance, so you'll know where to line up beforehand.
That's how it was on the Elevation tour and there were no problems with fans lining up for GA .... As for when to line-up...... Well, the UC is NOT allowing fans to camp out this time, so get to the parking lot entrance by 11 a.m. ...... ( informed by the UC as of 4/1/05 ... but it may change again, so I may have to re-post the exact time again ... days before the show ) and park as close to the venue as possible, then, if you can't park inside their fence that early ... at least you'll be close by and won't have far to walk to the venue ..... I believe the UC parking lot still opens at 5 p.m. for parking inside their fence ... The UC is in a bad neighborhood, so be extremely careful, if you're not parked inside the fenced lot, then walk to the venue in a group with others ..... In other words, use common sense ...and you will
be fine !!!

MsMofoGone said:

Well, I have reserved seats for the 7th, 10th, and 12th... but I do know that the GA ticketholders enter through the front doors of the venue .... There will be a "General Admission" sign posted at this entrance, so you'll know where to line up beforehand.
That's how it was on the Elevation tour and there were no problems with fans lining up for GA .... As for when to line-up...... Well, the UC is NOT allowing fans to camp out this time, so get to the parking lot entrance by 11 a.m. ...... ( informed by the UC as of 4/1/05 ... but it may change again, so I may have to re-post the exact time again ... days before the show ) and park as close to the venue as possible, then, if you can't park inside their fence that early ... at least you'll be close by and won't have far to walk to the venue ..... I believe the UC parking lot still opens at 5 p.m. for parking inside their fence ... The UC is in a bad neighborhood, so be extremely careful, if you're not parked inside the fenced lot, then walk to the venue in a group with others ..... In other words, use common sense ...and you will
be fine !!!

Thanks for the info!:)

Rhia

MsMofoGone said:

Well, the UC is NOT allowing fans to camp out this time, so get to the parking lot entrance by 11 a.m. ......

Does this mean you can't start lining up before 11 a.m.? I have GA tickets for the 7th and I was planning to get the United Center around 10 a.m. I figure if I don't win the lottery to get into the ellipse, I want to be alongside it on the outside, and the only way to be sure of a spot there is to be in line early.

I have GA's for Chicago 2 and 4

1st level for Chicago 3.

300 Level for Chicago 1. I have 2 in section 309 and 2 in section 312. I am looking for a trade. I'd like my entire family to sit near one another. If anyone has 2 in section 312 or 309 and wants to swap let me know.

I AM OVEREXCITED......Like a kid in a candy store

miss becky said:

Does this mean you can't start lining up before 11 a.m.? I have GA tickets for the 7th and I was planning to get the United Center around 10 a.m. I figure if I don't win the lottery to get into the ellipse, I want to be alongside it on the outside, and the only way to be sure of a spot there is to be in line early.

On the last tour they had "no camping" and "you can't start lining up until X time" rules also, but they ended up not mattering at all. People camped out and lined up early and no one from the UC stopped anyone. It seems like they might be more strict this time, but I wouldn't take their word for it.

Originally posted by miss becky

Does this mean you can't start lining up before 11 a.m.? I have GA tickets for the 7th and I was planning to get the United Center around 10 a.m.

You can go to the UC as early as you want to ...... but that DOESN'T mean you will be ALLOWED to line up early ... Alot of people spend their time waiting in nearby parking lots ... because standing outside along the fence ... is NOT a good idea .. And
since the UC has the reputation of a BAD neighborhood ... the security staff does NOT allow people to stand along the fence, either ... ( Although I can't understand why waiting in a nearby parking lot would be any safer ... because that is VERY dangerous as well .. ) People WILL begin lining up right before they "open up" the entrance ... which IS 11 a.m. ( as of 4/1 ) .... This is why I stated that it MAY change again and I MIGHT have to re-post the EXACT time again .... days before the show, ( only if the time does however change ) ...... I know that the UC is good for making last minute changes, regarding their parking lot entrance opening times, because of past experiences with other events there ... So the BEST advice I can tell you is that if the time changes, I'll post again and let you know .... but as of NOW everything IS accurate ... and I still say getting there right before they open the entrance at 11 a.m., is what you should do ... It's the SAFEST bet, considering the area .... also, you DON'T want to be loitering around in a bad section of Chicago .....
TRUST ME .... when I say this !!! This area is dangerous, and alot of consequences HAPPEN for the worst ... when people are NOT paying attention to their surroundings ... and whatever you do, DON'T bring a purse or wallet ... carry your cash in your front pocket, and DON'T display your tickets UNTIL you're ready to hand them to an attendant at the turn-style ... BEFORE you enter the UC venue .... Hope this info helped ... See you there !!

It is a BAD neighborhood. However, I lived 5 blocks away from the UC off of Ashland Ave. for 5 years.
During the day until the time of the show, I wouldn't be too worried. The area is highly traveled on Madison, Damen and Ashland. Besides, there is a nearby college and some fast food places.

It is best to stay East of Damen Ave. and on the Madison side of the UC if possible. This area has been and is going through gentrification. So, if you haven't been by since the Elevation tour since 2001 you'll notice significant changes.

You will still see the intermmitent street begger.
Just be cautious, let me know of any questions about the area.

It isn't the best area, but I have to stick up for my ole' neighborhood!!!!

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

On the last tour they had "no camping" and "you can't start lining up until X time" rules also, but they ended up not mattering at all. People camped out and lined up early and no one from the UC stopped anyone. It seems like they might be more strict this time, but I wouldn't take their word for it.

They are being more STRICT regarding all events at the UC this year .... I've heard that they have over 200 people for security purposes alone regarding the U2 shows ... and that DOESN'T surprise me since the Chicago police DON'T really get involved when there's matters at the UC ... in less, it's absolutely necessary ... ( Also I'm NOT going to list what's absolutely necessary, in order for them to get involved, either ... )
So, I beg to differ with you, but the UC policies and procedures ARE very different now ... and they WILL enforce this issues to the fullest extent of the law if they must, is what I've understood.

Originally posted by ayearwome
During the day until the time of the show, I wouldn't be too worried. The area is highly traveled on Madison, Damen and Ashland. Besides, there is a nearby college and some fast food places.

Whether this area is highly travelled on or not, you still do NOT
want to walk the streets of Chicago in this neighborhood ..
You may have lived there for 5 years, but I've been travelling in Chicago areas for over 20 years, and this neighborhood is one
that people should definitely stay out of ... Walking around the
area SEVERAL BLOCKS away is NOT advised .... the best measures
people should take ... is to park inside the UC's parking lot fence,
that is the safest place to be .. but if you show up BEFORE they open the parking lot to cars.... then you're going to have to park in other parking lots AROUND the area .... and I for one, bought
"reserved seating" this time around because of this reason ..

Thank you, MsMofoGone!

Edited to add: I was planning to take a bus to the show, so parking won't be an issue, right? The buses can still get in the UC before 11 a.m.?

For miss becky .........

They allow buses to drop people off at the UC .... only AFTER
they open the parking lot entrance, which is 11 a.m. If you arrive
BEFORE that time ... you may need to get dropped off at another
destination, since the buses will NOT stop on the street outside of the UC .... ( in less, there's a bus stop nearby, which I don't
think so ) ... How many of you are going to the concert ???
Why not "split" the fare and take a cab, instead .... that's a bit
safer than travelling on the bus anyway... and the cabs will drop you off at an intersection, if you want.... Just don't get out too far away from the venue.... I wouldn't get let out further than one block away ... "tops" on this !!! Anything else ... come to mind??

MsMofoGone said:
For miss becky .........

They allow buses to drop people off at the UC .... only AFTER
they open the parking lot entrance, which is 11 a.m. If you arrive
BEFORE that time ... you may need to get dropped off at another
destination, since the buses will NOT stop on the street outside of the UC .... ( in less, there's a bus stop nearby, which I don't
think so ) ... How many of you are going to the concert ???
Why not "split" the fare and take a cab, instead .... that's a bit
safer than travelling on the bus anyway... and the cabs will drop you off at an intersection, if you want.... Just don't get out too far away from the venue.... I wouldn't get let out further than one block away ... "tops" on this !!! Anything else ... come to mind??

There's two of us, me and my mother. We were actually going to take the loop toward the UC, since we are staying in Rosemount. Another poster had said buses ran from the loop to the UC, so that had been my plan. Money is sort of tight for this trip, so cab fare may be out of our reach.

miss becky said:

Another poster had said buses ran from the loop to the UC, so that had been my plan.

I'll find out for sure .... where the buses drop people off ... when
going to the UC ... if the parking lot entrance is NOT open yet ..
I still DON'T think they stop and drop people off on the street
outside .... so maybe there's another entrance or something ??
I'll call the UC and double-check on this for you on Monday (4/11).
The UC should be able to confirm something regarding their bus
schedules and routes at their venue ... I'll get back on here sometime Monday evening .. Hopefully, with the answer !!
How does that sound ?? Hope I helped out again ... :wink:

MsMofoGone said:

I'll get back on here sometime Monday evening .. Hopefully, with the answer !!
How does that sound ?? Hope I helped out again ... :wink:

Thank you so much! :hug:

miss becky said:

Thank you so much! :hug:

Sorry ... miss becky

I still don't have the answer for you yet regarding the bus drop-off
at the UC ... I called the UC after I got home from work , but I couldn't get a hold of anyone !! Today was absolute chaos at work, and I didn't get a chance to call earlier ... (Mondays are always hell, anyway) So I'll give it another go tomorrow and
I'll call earlier during the day, so I can indeed contact them !! Sorry again ... til tomorrow !!

Those of you looking to get to the United Center via public transportation: when I went to the show in 2001, I took the blue line to the Medical Center stop, and exited on the west side of the station, hung a right, and walked the few blocks up Damen to the west end of the United Center.

Thanks for all the tips=) I'm flying in from Norway (!) with my friends for chicago 1,2,3. Have GA's for monday night, you'll see us jumping higher than everyone at the front then;)

wewillfollow.com

Originally posted by miss becky

Another poster had said buses ran from the loop to the UC

Okay miss becky ... UC confirmed 4/12/05

The buses DO run from the loop to the UC ... but from what I've understood ... the buses do NOT drop people off at the UC BEFORE 11 a.m. (when the parking lot is closed.) The buses will drop you SEVERAL blocks away at the nearest convenient place of business. You would have to walk back to the UC (dangerous)
to wait in a nearby parking lot (again, dangerous) before getting
into the UC lot when it opens...
The only transportation that is allowed into the UC BEFORE the parking lot opens, is freight couriers (FedEx, postman, trucking companies, DHL, etc ... or possible law / fire / medical assistance ... such as policeman, fireman, or paramedics.)
Since buses do NOT fall into any of these categories ... you may want to "re-think" the cab issue all over again !! The cabs WILL drop you at an intersection if you desire. Or perhaps, if taking the bus, arrive at 11 a.m. instead.

I am gonna be in chicago for 9 and 10th show all GA!!
thank you for all info about UC and Chicago..
If I'd like to come earlier to UC(before11am)should I take a cab?(is it safe even the gate not open yet)please let me know...
Congress plaza hotel is safe area?The best place to shop?
I have an extra tix for 7th show,section325,row10 seat4 and for monday show section 229,row7,seat 10,anyone interested?
please let me know..about tix and detail of UC and chicago(it's my first trip to chicago)
thank you all

dju said:
I am gonna be in chicago for 9 and 10th show all GA!!
thank you for all info about UC and Chicago..
If I'd like to come earlier to UC(before11am)should I take a cab?(is it safe even the gate not open yet)please let me know...
Congress plaza hotel is safe area?The best place to shop?
I have an extra tix for 7th show,section325,row10 seat4 and for monday show section 229,row7,seat 10,anyone interested?
please let me know..about tix and detail of UC and chicago(it's my first trip to chicago)
thank you all

Definitely take a cab to the UC if you are going that early. Like people have said, the area around the UC is not THE SAFEST but again, during the daytime, its not really that bad. I'd anticipate a decent number of people already around the stadium at 11am (I went to Chicago 4 in 2001 and was 170th in line or so at 11am).

Congress Plaza is in the southeast part of downtown chicago. Nice area, close to the art institute and the lakefront. If you want to shop, just walk north on michigan ave about 20 minutes (youll go across the river) which is the south tip of the magnificent mile. If its not a nice day or your not willing to walk, just walk a few blocks to State/Jackson (about 2 blocks north, 2 blocks east) and take the red-line el and stop at Grand (4 stops or so). Train fare is $1.75 each way. Walk up the stairs and head east to Michigan Ave.

Hope this helps!

kawai17 said:

Definitely take a cab to the UC if you are going that early. Like people have said, the area around the UC is not THE SAFEST but again, during the daytime, its not really that bad. I'd anticipate a decent number of people already around the stadium at 11am (I went to Chicago 4 in 2001 and was 170th in line or so at 11am).

What time would you recommend getting there in order to get a low number? The problem seems to be where to go, if you get there early.

Back
Top Bottom