MERGED-->All speculation/discussion etc about DVD shoot in Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
of course I don't think that's the only reason... :eyebrow:
but we're very proud of that concert, so I'm showing it off. :wink:
what's the point of arguing anyway, I can't really tell how dutch crowds are since I don't know them :shrug: I only know Italian people, and I know we're insane... guess we're not the only ones, but we're definitely past redemption :huh: :wink:

sraphim said:
I have a question: when did they begin building the stage there in Holland?
The first pictures were seen online on Monday... So 2 (or more) days before the first gig...

sraphim said:
I have a question: when did they begin building the stage there in Holland?

In holland they started a day or two before but that might be because there was a very big party in the arena before that. So they might have started a little late here cause i think in brussels it was three days before..

zooholland said:

In holland they started a day or two before but that might be because there was a very big party in the arena before that. So they might have started a little late here cause i think in brussels it was three days before..
Brussels was the first date of the tour... They always take a much longer time then to rehearse the loadout/loudin... Normally the steel is build 3 or 2 days before the gig and production gets there 1 day before the show...

really? hmm... :hmm:. in Milan they began yesterday, so... 20-14=6 days before the show. wow... :huh: could that be related to the dvd shoots? I mean, maybe they need extra-time to place cameras and additional lightings (yknow the ones they use to illuminate the audience)... just speculating of course :shrug:

sraphim said:
really? hmm... :hmm:. in Milan they began yesterday, so... 20-14=6 days before the show. wow... :huh: could that be related to the dvd shoots? I mean, maybe they need extra-time to place cameras and additional lightings (yknow the ones they use to illuminate the audience)... just speculating of course :shrug:

sraphim! Im going to both San Siro gigs and I've never been to Milano and I don't know a word of Italian, can you help me..!?

I saw a seating chart of SS and a huge arrow towards 'palco', does that mean the stage? Not sure where the stage is, as I have one GA and one ticket at the 3. anello (3rd tier?)

And another trivial thing I suppose, but do you know how to get from the central station area to SS?

Cheers,
JA

sraphim said:

ok, sorry if I sounded a bit too patriotic there... but you don't know how it feels to be an Italian fan. they never give us enough credit, although we've always been so loyal to them... we were really saddened by the fact that they played just ONE show in Italy (elevation tour), and now after four years... you know, I just feel it's about time they give us a proper gift.
sorry everyone.

Sorry, but has far as I can see, the only two countries u2 have ever really given "special treatment" to is Ireland and America. What do you in Italy get that people in (for example) the UK not get. Sure the UK get more shows but that's only to meet the demand, one show in Italy would be enough, wouldn't it?

BTW I want them to film a dvd in Milan, If we don't get a Croke Park dvd

sraphim said:
That doesn't say anything... Production comes in one day before the show, and a DVD crew normally arrives at the very last... Extra lighting is necessary when shooting for a DVD, but that also comes in 1 day before the show...

I guess they are building this early because they have the time to do so... U2 are 4 days in Amsterdam while there are 3 sets of steel traveling around... So it makes sense that they already started in Milan....

jimjam said:

Sorry, but has far as I can see, the only two countries u2 have ever really given "special treatment" to is Ireland and America. What do you in Italy get that people in (for example) the UK not get. Sure the UK get more shows but that's only to meet the demand, one show in Italy would be enough, wouldn't it?

BTW I want them to film a dvd in Milan, If we don't get a Croke Park dvd
U2.com :

'Welcome home U2'

‘Where’s the bass man? Adam Clayton!’ Right there where he should be. ‘Unos, dos, tres…catorce!’

from Dublin, Amsterdam is the only city on the European leg to get three shows and right from the off last night it was clear that the band retain a special place in their hearts for the Dutch. Maybe, as they say, the most important relationships are formed early, which might explain Bono’s introduction to I Will Follow.
‘Our first No.1 anywhere in the world… in this great, extraordinary land, Holland.’

As a young band, a quarter century ago, why wouldn’t you remember the first time you got to No.1. No wonder, as Bono smiles, two and a half hours later, ‘Welcome home U2!’

Needless to say, 50,000 Dutch fans are mad for it, even if the Amsterdam Arena, with its huge glass roof, takes forever to get dark. And even though it is unbelievably warm.

‘I want to thank The Kaiser Chiefs and The Killers,’ says the singer, as Edge heads to the keyboard for New Year’s Day. ‘Two great rock’n’roll bands.’ (Both band played fiercely energetic sets earlier, even though most Dutch fans seem more bemused than familiar with their music.)

New Year’s Day, Beautiful Day and I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For seem to shake the foundations of the building, with everyone in the house on their feet and straining to join in with every word.

‘We want to say so much tonight,’ explains Bono, almost lost for words at times. ‘Most of all we want to thank you for giving us a great life.’ The Netherlands, he continues, is a ‘place that still plays us on the radio, still wants to see us in your football stadiums’ a place that still sees U2 as ‘about the present.’

And right now, the present is frozen for all time for one young woman as she scrambles up on stage for her date with destiny and the smooch of a lifetime in All I Want Is You. ‘Blessings, blessings… in the Port of Amsterdam.’ adds Bono as City of Blinding Lights fades out and Edge begins picks out the unmistakeable opening riff of Miracle Drug which is dedicated, to great cheers, to ‘the scientists, doctors, nurses – especially the nurses – that keep us well, that get us to the future.’

As Larry leaves his kit to head to the foot of one of the b-stages, Adam saunters down to the tip of the other and it’s time for a spot of Love and Peace. The sequence of tracks this kicks off – Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet The Blue Sky and Running to Stand Still – have seemed to gain poignancy and potency in the days subsequent to the bombs in London last week. There is added relevance tonight as Holland has been gripped by the murder trial of another religious extremist and tonight Bono dedicates Running To Stand still to film-maker Theo van Gogh.

‘We’d like to turn this song into a prayer, we’d like to remind the religious people, Jewish, Christian, Moslem, that we all come from Father Abraham, all three are Abrahamic , so this is a family feud, a family fight.. and it must stop. We have so much more in common…’

The roars of appreciation are deafening.

‘The prayer is that we don’t become a monster in order to defeat a monster.’ The harmonica to introduce Running To Stand Still, rising eerily through the stadium, also speaks volumes as does another spontaneous rendition of the hymn Amazing Grace which closes the track as the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights begins climbing up the screens.

Pride, Streets and One prove climactic as ever but – maybe it is the peculiar acoustics in this building – the cacophony demanding an encore at the end seems to be louder than at any date on the tour so far. Whistles, screams, yelling, it is an unrelenting block of noise which is rewarded with Zoo Station and The Fly before the biggest singalong of the night for With Or Without You.

As well as dropping into Dutch regularly tonight, there is still time for a special Happy Birthday to the oldest Dutch friend of the band who is in the audience tonight – photographer Anton Corbijn.

A hot first night in Holland – with two more to come

:wave: heyyy!!!
yeah 'palco' means stage indeed, and '3rd anello' means 3rd ring I think? (you can tell I know a lot about stadiums :wink:)
btw, look here for more info > http://www.u2place.net/pages/sansiro1.jpg
3rd anello is 'terzo anello', the one on top.

now... from the central station in Milan you can get to the SanSiro very easily: you must take the underground just outside the train station, just follow the big red M :)
you have to take the MM2 line (the green one), direction Famagosta, till the CADORNA FN stop; then MM1 line (the red one), direction Molino Dorino, till the LOTTO stop. from there, you can get to the stadium on foot or by bus (I think they will provide free buses -shuttles, it that right?- but I'm not sure yet)
here's the underground map:
metro.gif

hope that helped :D and if you have any more doubts, don't hesitate to ask! bye!! :wave:

sraphim said:
:wave: heyyy!!!
yeah 'palco' means stage indeed, and '3rd anello' means 3rd ring I think? (you can tell I know a lot about stadiums :wink:)
btw, look here for more info > http://www.u2place.net/pages/sansiro1.jpg
3rd anello is 'terzo anello', the one on top.

now... from the central station in Milan you can get to the SanSiro very easily: you must take the underground just outside the train station, just follow the big red M :)
you have to take the MM2 line (the green one), direction Famagosta, till the CADORNA FN stop; then MM1 line (the red one), direction Molino Dorino, till the LOTTO stop. from there, you can get to the stadium on foot or by bus (I think they will provide free buses -shuttles, it that right?- but I'm not sure yet)
here's the underground map:
metro.gif

hope that helped :D and if you have any more doubts, don't hesitate to ask! bye!! :wave:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Originally posted by jimjam

one show in Italy would be enough, wouldn't it?

...no. :eyebrow:
we're 60millions people here in Italy, just like UK. one show ain't nearly enough, especially since they did only ONE show and in the NORTH. how do you think people in the south and islands felt when they heard about that?? I'm lucky cos I live in the North, but I still think they should have done at least one more show, in Rome maybe (not South but MORE south than Turin anyway :D)...
well, what's done is done now, isn't it? :shrug:

sraphim said:

...no. :eyebrow:
we're 60millions people here in Italy, just like UK. one show ain't nearly enough, especially since they did only ONE show and in the NORTH. how do you think people in the south and islands felt when they heard about that?? I'm lucky cos I live in the North, but I still think they should have done at least one more show, in Rome maybe (not South but MORE south than Turin anyway :D)...
well, what's done is done now, isn't it? :shrug:
Holland has 15 million people and got 3 shows... That says it all :cute:

Neilz said:

Holland has 15 million people and got 3 shows... That says it all :cute:

that wasn't very nice. :eyebrow:
actually, what you pointed out just tells me whoever is in charge of planning those shows can't do maths very well... :| :huh:

sraphim said:

that wasn't very nice. :eyebrow:
actually, what you pointed out just tells me whoever is in charge of planning those shows can't do maths very well... :| :huh:
I can't really figure is out either... Holland get a lot of U2 gig's all the time...

3 x Vertigo
3 x Elevation
2 x Popmart
5 x Zooropa
1 x Zoo-TV
4 x Lovetown
2 x Joshua Tree

etc..etc..etc..

Didn't mean it in a bad way though... 1 gig in Italy isn't right...

Neilz said:

I can't really figure is out either... Holland get a lot of U2 gig's all the time...

3 x Vertigo
3 x Elevation
2 x Popmart
5 x Zooropa
1 x Zoo-TV
4 x Lovetown
2 x Joshua Tree

etc..etc..etc..

Didn't mean it in a bad way though... 1 gig in Italy isn't right...
I'm still conviced the guy who plans the tours is on crack.

Italy:
3 x Vertigo
1 x Elevation (the only outdoor show besides Slane btw :ohmy:)
2 x Popmart (U2 live in Reggio Emilia > 150000 people :D the most numerous concert EVER here in Italy [besides free concerts and festivals], and still undefeated!)
8 x Zooropa (??? :huh: here the organizer was definitely under the influence :huh:)
2 x Zoo-TV
0 x Lovetown :shrug:
3 x Joshua Tree

19 overall. we're even. :D

and yeah, US have always had a special treatment... but it's understandable. US is a HUGE market, and all artists dream of breaking through in America... I think in their shoes I would do the same!! :)
and well, Ireland... it's obvious. :D

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:laugh: no thats mostly it actually. The only additional song they did that wasnt planned was Out Of Control. Which in actuality also happened at the Arnhem Holland 2nd show also. They added it at the end because the crowd was so into it there as well. :shrug:

Italy will make a great DVD, but Amsterdam would have as well. We will know for sure tomorrow though because it will be evident tomorrow night in Amsterdam whether the show is being filmed for official release. But to say because Italy had ONE of the longer shows U2 has done is the reason Italy is better is weak! :laugh: Oh, and I know you are sort of joking about it. (at least I hope so!)

oh and btw... they played Pride too. :D
(I'd forgotten to write that in my previous post :wink:)

I truly hope that the crowd will be as loud as it was wednesday in the arena. Even the people way high in the back joined in....if thats the case in san siro it will be deafening i think (how many people fit in SS?)
But if I understand correctly thats the area where JulioArca will be so that shouldnt be a problem right?

Neilz said:

That doesn't say anything... Production comes in one day before the show, and a DVD crew normally arrives at the very last... Extra lighting is necessary when shooting for a DVD, but that also comes in 1 day before the show...

I guess they are building this early because they have the time to do so... U2 are 4 days in Amsterdam while there are 3 sets of steel traveling around... So it makes sense that they already started in Milan....

you really don't want that dvd to be shot, do you?! :madspit: :wink:

zooholland said:
I truly hope that the crowd will be as loud as it was wednesday in the arena.

Don't doubt about it... :wink:

how many people fit in SS?

around 80.000 overall (GA included)

But if I understand correctly thats the area where JulioArca will be so that shouldnt be a problem right?

yeah MAKE SOME NOISE!! :D

Last edited:
zooholland said:
I truly hope that the crowd will be as loud as it was wednesday in the arena. Even the people way high in the back joined in....if thats the case in san siro it will be deafening i think (how many people fit in SS?)

Correct, the noise shouldn't be any problem!

(Im really good at singing/shouting you know. My freind and I 'released' a x-mas singel last year and gave to our friends/families. It was a 'beautiful' cover of Wham!'s Last Christmas, which was truly awful. If you ever heard it, you would be sure that the noise from the 3 tier will be loud, noisy and a bit disturbing...!)

Back
Top Bottom