Maybe Milan shouldn't be the next DVD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because someone mentioned that they may not include the Vertigo encore, I remember that because the shows in Europe started during the daylight Vertigo was played first without the big red screen effects and then they added the red screen at the encore...
Btw I was constantly complaining for the 2-Vertigo thing but when I saw it, it was just perfect...Everyone was giving the last power that had left and the feeling was just...:drool:

theu2fly said:
And AtU2's blog...

I don't know if you've been piecing together the various articles that have come out regarding the Croke Park shows, but it's sounding more and more positive about a DVD release (like Slane). First, Solo Too recorded the shows. Second, Matt from Canada had to sign a release after being brought up on stage during Party Girl during Dublin 2. Third, Peter McKenna, Croke Park's Stadium Manager, told the Belfast Telegraph in regard to what the GAA is paying for and what U2 is paying for: "The band carry all of the costs for the clean-up, pitch cover, and the cost of gardai but we've been responsible for food and drink, DVD rights and a percentage of the merchandise."

Willie confirmed that they did film but for archival purposes only and for testing for the Milan shoot. They didnt use their full camera contingent either that the would for an official DVD release. I'm sure it looks great, but for U2's standards I doubt they would deem it good enough for full commercial release.

I do like the broadcast idea, that would be more feasible than it being an official DVD. Unfortunately I think the most we will ever see of the footage they shot in Dublin from this tour is possibly some bonus songs or clips on another DVD release. :shrug:

I think Milan gets released, next year at this time right before Christmas. I look forward to it. I would like to see one of the stadium shows available in pro shot form. So I hope it happens regardless of where it was shot. But I would count on it being Milan.

lazarus said:
Was Los Angeles 2 the first time that version of Bad was played? Because I was there and it gave me fucking chills. Bono's improv during ISHFWILF is awesome as well.

I'm SO glad I have that show to listen to.

As for Milan, what was the original reason this show was recorded for? I don't get it.

Here's hoping the band isn't too cheap to foot the bill for ANOTHER taped show. I'm thinking Japan would be pretty cool. They've done Down Under, they've done Central/South America.

Or better yet, how cool would a South Africa show be?

They did the same version a couple nights before in Detroit. Clearly the high point. Detroit was a better show, simply because of the arena. Staples has all those boxes...everyone is so spread out.

Last edited:
Wow, all I can say is just after seeing a few clips of Milan on 60 Minutes I dont know how anyone can say they shouldnt release it. Looks awesome!

Blue Room said:
Wow, all I can say is just after seeing a few clips of Milan on 60 Minutes I dont know how anyone can say they shouldnt release it. Looks awesome!

Agreed.

I will beg, borrow, steal.... or kill to get a Milan DVD out now ASAP.

:ohmy:

What I didn't like about the Chicago DVD is Hamish's comments in the Behind the Scenes portion where he talks with his crew about the filming and is asked by one of his cameramen: "Clean audience (shots)?" His response is "Feel the Love, Don't give it a name" HE had no intentions of actually showing any audience member's face and I think that is completely rediculous. I bring this up because in the small snippets of the Milan show from 6o Minutes there some very clean shots of audience members that convey just how much emotion is felt by the crowd. Hamish's Chicago production is void of alot of crowd emotion because he intentionally ignored that great element of the U2 Live Experience. It would be interesting to know if he was behind the Milan show too.

Those clips from Milan looked fantastic.

Mofo82 had a real good comment about the lack of showing the audience on the Chicago dvd. Hamish did the worst thing possible in that the only audience shots you get are people's arms blocking the view, in some points filling 1/2 of the screen.

If they don't release Milan, my vote would go for the Sao Paulo shows in February (not only because I plan to attend them). Anyone who has seen or heard the South American Popmart shows knows of the amazing reception given to the band by the fans there. Sao Paulo seems to be set for 2 shows, so they could easily film there. If not Sao Paulo, then Buenos Aires could do, as they may play Mothers Of The Disappeared there.

Chizip said:
maybe it will be part of a live DVD boxset?

Redrocks/ZooTV Sydney/Popmart Mexico/Milan

in stores for next christmas, only $150 dollars
next christmas? I wan't it now!! Zoo-TV Sydney on widescreen DTS DVD :drool:

mofo82 said:
It would be interesting to know if he was behind the Milan show too.

I think he was.

Was it ever confirmed that Milan (or Croke park, for that matter) will be released?

I thought I read somewhere the band and Willie Williams weren't happy with the footage...

U2girl said:
I think he was.

Was it ever confirmed that Milan (or Croke park, for that matter) will be released?

I thought I read somewhere the band and Willie Williams weren't happy with the footage...
It never was confirmed that Chicago would be released either... I know that Milan had some extra things added to the basic European show that would indicate that it was filmed to be released though...

And by the way; it was definately shot by Hamish...

Streets, I Will Follow, Still Haven't, COBL, and a few others I think. they also showed Beautiful Day from the Chicago DVD.

Oh yeah, Pride too.... the crowd was crying, it was intense. Like someone said before, no crowd shots=missing the whole experience of knowing what a u2 concert is like, which i think hamish said was the whole point of the dvd in the tour documentary.

PS... I want a stadium tour in the US just so I can see that really cool screen:drool:

norsehorse23 said:
I want a stadium tour in the US just so I can see that really cool screen:drool:
The US won't get the stadium version cause U2 want GA in front of the stage... With stadium shows the fields are covered with plastic chairs in the US...

But I wouldn't mind really if they'll switch stages next tour... Arena shows in Europe and stadium's in the US...

Neilz said:

The US won't get the stadium version cause U2 want GA in front of the stage... With stadium shows the fields are covered with plastic chairs in the US...

But I wouldn't mind really if they'll switch stages next tour... Arena shows in Europe and stadium's in the US...

Back when there was no GA you are correct. They used to have plastic chairs on the floor for arena shows also. U2 changed that with Elevation. There is no reason to think they would do the same if they did a stadium tour here.

I dont think they are doing one in the U.S. But I highly doubt the reasons are because of plastic chairs on the field. I think Australia is going to end the tour. I'm actually kind of surprised they are even doing a fourth leg. A fifth or sixth leg is just very unlikely period.

Blue Room said:
Back when there was no GA you are correct. They used to have plastic chairs on the floor for arena shows also. U2 changed that with Elevation. There is no reason to think they would do the same if they did a stadium tour here.
If you look back on the specials around the Elevation Tour you will notice that U2 mentioned that they only went back indoors because the stage design including GA was approved by the security people in the US... It's only because of the heart/ellipse that in the US the GA is possible and done...

Infact... That's why they are only doing the indoor shows in the States this tour... All over the world they are doing stadium gigs, but not in the US... Clearly, U2 doesn't want the plastic chairs in front of the stage anymore...

It was Bono who once mentioned during the Popmart tour that he was "Sick and tired of popcorn smell in the front seats" refering to the rich people taking their family out for a U2 gig like it's a night to the movies :wink:

That may be a nice little excuse for them, but the reason the are playing arenas in the US is because they can't sell out stadiums in the US. Sure they could sell out stadiums in the big cities, but cities like St. Louis or Omaha, no way. If there was a way U2 could sell out stadiums and make more money in North America, they would certainly do that.

milan looked good on 60 mint. last night...it didnt have all the cuts that chicago had. but its day light for the first 30-40 mint.

Neilz said:

If you look back on the specials around the Elevation Tour you will notice that U2 mentioned that they only went back indoors because the stage design including GA was approved by the security people in the US... It's only because of the heart/ellipse that in the US the GA is possible and done...

Infact... That's why they are only doing the indoor shows in the States this tour... All over the world they are doing stadium gigs, but not in the US... Clearly, U2 doesn't want the plastic chairs in front of the stage anymore...

It was Bono who once mentioned during the Popmart tour that he was "Sick and tired of popcorn smell in the front seats" refering to the rich people taking their family out for a U2 gig like it's a night to the movies :wink:

There is no requirement for chairs on the field any longer. Its all local oridinance and venue policy only. U2 could do the same thing they did for Elevation for a stadium show here.

See Chizip's response, that is your answer. If they could do a stadium tour and sellout all the shows they would be doing it or would have done it here.

Chizip said:
That may be a nice little excuse for them, but the reason the are playing arenas in the US is because they can't sell out stadiums in the US. Sure they could sell out stadiums in the big cities, but cities like St. Louis or Omaha, no way. If there was a way U2 could sell out stadiums and make more money in North America, they would certainly do that.

You're joking, right? True enough, smaller places like Omaha probably wouldn't sell out, but U2 could have easily created a stadium tour in the U.S. that would have sold out just as fast.

Logistics probably played a part. The way the itinerary worked out, you certainly wouldn't expect for U2 to play its two December shows in Boston outside, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have sold out Gillette Stadium. They easily could have.

Last edited:
phanan said:

You're joking, right? True enough, smaller places like Omaha probably wouldn't sell out, but U2 could have easily created a stadium tour in the U.S. that would have sold out just as fast.

Logistics probably played a part. The way the itinerary worked out, you certainly wouldn't expect for U2 to play its two December shows in Boston outside, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have sold out Gillette Stadium. They easily could have.

Thats debateable. I think after the Popmart fiasco U2 would rather be sure to sell out arenas quickly than to risk being embarrassed with some half full stadiums. Stadiums allow you to make more money with less work/expenses, so if they were certain they could do it successfully then they would do it.

Also, if they played stadiums in the US I don't think they would have done two legs, the European leg actually had higher attendance than both US legs combined. If they did one stadium leg then the market demand would have been matched and there would have been no need to come back and play dates in December.

Anyway, my main point originally was the reason U2 went to arenas for Elevation had much more to do with market demand, and less to do with the GA set up.

Last edited:
Just look at the numbers....8 shows at MSG plus 2 at meadowlands = roughly 180-200,000 people = 3 nights at Giants Stadium.
7 shows at fleetcenter + 1 in hartford = roughly 140,000 people = 3 nights at Gillette Stadium.
Also, GA can be done in stadiums in the US now. Green Day at Gillette had GA, and those people were pretty nuts.
Because some of the demand has been met in the US, I think they WILL tour US stadiums this summer, but only in major markets, and only do one-night stops. Perhaps the southeast will get more shows because they got very few so far (Charlotte, and the Florida dates, though Florida isn't REALLY the South).

Ifeelnumb84 said:

Because some of the demand has been met in the US, I think they WILL tour US stadiums this summer, but only in major markets, and only do one-night stops. Perhaps the southeast will get more shows because they got very few so far (Charlotte, and the Florida dates, though Florida isn't REALLY the South).

I hope your right, but I doubt it. Edge hinted that he was ready to get off the road during the Toronto rehearsals. So I think the 4th leg will be it.

Regarding playing down south. It has never been a strong market for U2. Attendance there has been a struggle on most tours other than Atlanta. I would consider Atlanta the south for sure though. So it hasnt been just Florida on this tour. They have come close to saturating a few of the big markets also. Chicago is a huge U2 city but they have played 6 shows there already. The last two third leg shows were not instant sellouts. They could probably still do a date at Soldier Field there. But I dont think there is the huge demand for it that would necessary for it to be a serious possibility they were considering. :shrug: I would love to be wrong though! :laugh: :wink:

phanan said:

I still think that my point on the plastic seats is one of the arguments on why U2 does not do stadiums in the States anymore... Another reason could easely be that they're afraid of not selling out (after the Popmart disaster)...

I don't think however that U2 skip the stadium's in the States because of the logistics! Logistics in Europe are far worse (borders and different laws and governments every date)...

Neilz said:

I still think that my point on the plastic seats is one of the arguments on why U2 does not do stadiums in the States anymore... Another reason could easely be that they're afraid of not selling out (after the Popmart disaster)...

I don't think however that U2 skip the stadium's in the States because of the logistics! Logistics in Europe are far worse (borders and different laws and governments every date)...

:scratch: Did you read the recent posts? It was posted that Green Day used GA for a stadium show in Foxboro. This would most likely be the stadium U2 would play if they did a stadium show for the Boston area. :shrug: So how is it a factor still when GA is allowed now in the U.S.?

I dont get your logistics part either. I dont see where anyone said that moving the stage between states would be the issue?? The only thing brought up was there could be a problem with ticket demand in certain areas because U2 had played alot of shows in the major markets here already. So they may have saturated most if not all of the market in alot of areas already.

Blue Room said:

I dont get your logistics part either.

Perhaps logistics wasn't the best word to use. Scheduling maybe would have been better.

The stadium tour in Europe was in the summer. If they had that already scheduled, then perhaps they chose to do arenas in the U.S. because of the climate during that part of the tour. Back in April and May, while sometimes its nice, it would have been dicey in the northern part of the country and Canada as far as temperatures go.

A US Stadium tour would have far fewer dates and fewer cities. Sure, NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, and maybe a few others could get 2 or 3 nights, but otherwise it'd be a lot of 1 show per city. That's still great, of course, and a testamant to their drawing power.

That said, I don't think would be the right time for it -- I do think they have come close to saturating the market in most cities. Coming back to Chicago, let's say, for 2 nights at Solider Field just a year after filling 6 United Center dates could be tough. If they want to do US Stadiums, they should wait until next tour and either exclusively do stadiums or recreate what they did on Zoo TV and follow up a quick-hit arena tour with some stadium shows.

My personal belief, though, is that Vertigo may be the model for future big tours -- arenas in the US, stadiums in Europe. But I also think that no future tour will be as wide-ranging as Vertigo. If I had to guess, the next tour would be smaller, shorter, and in a fewer cities.

It's certainly true, though. that there HAvE been a lot of rumors about US stadium shows in 2006. It could happen....

I'd love it. Seeing U2 in a stadium in NA next summer that is. I just don't see how they could though without, at the very least, an ep of some sort with 5 new songs or more.

Back
Top Bottom