Major mystery regarding Anaheim 2 U2 show on U2.com...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a) she said this took place inside the venue... EHHHHH... wrong-o. security kicks everyone out once the show ends. you cannot hang around and wait for an autograph... and it's not like the band comes back into the venue after the show.

b) even if this story was true... who cares. bono is, after all, nothing more than paul hewson. he is a human, just like you and me. he's allowed to be annoyed, he's allowed to be pissed off, he's allowed to not want to sign autographs if he doesn't want to. he's not required to sign anything. if you had shit shoved in your face all the time, half of which will end up on e-bay, you'd get annoyed by it every now and then, too. for the most part, all of the band does an excellent job when it comes to meeting fans, signing autographs, etc. etc. one isolated incident should not be an indictment on him.

as an avid fan for 12 years I thought maybe I deserved an autograph.

Annoying. Enjoy the music and the concert. You are not entitled to anything more than a great show. U2 has been making albums for longer than I have been alive and the number of years you have been a fan makes you no more of a fan than I am.

this isn't a "major mystery"; either the story is false or,
this girl is just upset she didn't get an autograph. big deal. she got to meet him, which is more than most of us ever got. bono has always been generous giving autographs.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

b) even if this story was true... who cares. bono is, after all, nothing more than paul hewson. he is a human, just like you and me. he's allowed to be annoyed, he's allowed to be pissed off, he's allowed to not want to sign autographs if he doesn't want to. he's not required to sign anything. if you had shit shoved in your face all the time, half of which will end up on e-bay, you'd get annoyed by it every now and then, too. for the most part, all of the band does an excellent job when it comes to meeting fans, signing autographs, etc. etc. one isolated incident should not be an indictment on him.

AMEN! :up:

Even if this is all true, SO WHAT? I challenge anyone here to come out and say that never in their life have they been a bit rude with someone without really meaning too, simply because they were tired and stressed out, or just had a bad day for whatever reason.

You know what is really astonishing? That there aren't *more* reports of Bono being anything less than super-nice and generous with fans. I don't think I could handle half of the pressure he (and most other public figures) is under, because every little thing he does or says is scrutinized, analysed and often misinterpreted. Every where this man goes there is a crowd asking for attention from him. This would drive me, and most normal people, completely nuts.

I remember thinking that there was no way he was as cool as everyone reports when they meet him, that somehow fans must be 'blinded by love' when talking about him or something. Then I saw him in person once in Miami, as he came out and signed autographs to fans, and I couldn't believe how calm and nice he was. Same again when I saw the band in the Much Music studio and Bono couldn't stop himself from giving love and attention to as many fans as it was humanly possible, especially during the commercial break. Anyone saying this is just and 'act' because of ONE report of him being a bit on edge is full of shit.

I can't believe this girl wrote a post entitled "Bono denied me an autograph" Who the F&!@ does she think she is? Like she's 'entitled' to something because she has been a fan for a long time ? Bullshit. And I can't believe some fans are shocked at the thought that Bono could actually act a bit rude sometimes. I have no doubt that he has quite a characater, and that he is not super-nice every single minute of is life. And you know what? Neither am I.

I was at the show and I heard that he took off in a car, signed some autos from inside his car (with rope on) and took off, so I doubt it's true. But this is a big reason why I would'nt want to meet Bono or any rock star who's music I love, if the lead singer was a jerk off, I would probably stop respecting a band whose music meant alot to me. So although I woul love to meet Bono, I would probably pass.

I actually have no problem at all believing this story is true. I have seen Bono get "pissy" first hand. But so what. As others have said he is a human being. He has people looking for a piece of him or his attention ALL THE TIME. He gets tired and cranky at times. Who doesnt. :shrug:

At least he was out signing autographs, obviously didnt feel like it and did anyway. Some major acts dont even bother period.

techfire said:
I was at the show and I heard that he took off in a car, signed some autos from inside his car (with rope on) and took off, so I doubt it's true. But this is a big reason why I would'nt want to meet Bono or any rock star who's music I love, if the lead singer was a jerk off, I would probably stop respecting a band whose music meant alot to me. So although I woul love to meet Bono, I would probably pass.

Bono is anything but a jerk off. I don't know him personally of course, but I think I know enough about him and have heard enough stories about people meeting him (and I also have briefly) to know he's not. Rough character? Most probably. Cranky sometimes? Obviously, nothing wrong with that. Has a bit of an ego? Well, he's a rock star after all. But a 'jerk off'? No. I don't think you have to worry about that, even if that report is true.

Zootopia is NOT bullshit...I just solved the mystery!

After reading all the posts regarding this calamity, I realized what was going on. I explained it to the Zootopians in a post. My moniker at the Zoo is my location here at Interference. And, you should be able to tell from my post that everything at the Zoo IS NOT bullshit! It's true!

beLIEve

The 3 times I met Bono, he did not deny anyone autographs, however, I imagine now and then they do have to cut it off once they have started or they will be out there signing for ages.
I do not believe he was rude and her quotes are probably exaggerated. He probably just said he didnt have time.
I have a friend who I believe said she met him after the 2nd show but she is still in socal going to shows so we havent been able to talk. I will ask her if she met him after the 2nd show and if she saw any of this go down.
Either way, I agree, Bono doesnt have to stop, sign, pose or do anything, but yet he does and gracefully atleast 90% of the time. So I think he should be praised for that :)

No one from the band signed autographs after either Anaheim show. After each show they kept the houselights off for an extra long amount of time while the guys left the stage and went straight to their vehicles.

For Anaheim 1, I was on the floor and took awhile to leave the venue. I went over the location where the band drives out of the venue and the word was that the band had left immediately after the show, which I confirmed a few minutes later when I saw Craig Evans, the tour coordinator from TNA who had been so great to us at the LA Dress rehearsal, walking out of the area. He said the band had "done a runner", meaning they had left immediately after the show ended.

For Anaheim 2, I had seats and as soon as Larry left the stage after "40", I ran out of the venue to the area where the band leaves. Within 1-2 minutes, I saw 2 police on motorcycles leading a caravan of 5 or 6 SUVs out of the loading dock area. I could see Larry in the passenger seat of one of them. They did not slow down at all, so I know for a fact that no one got signed after the shows at either night in Anaheim.

Re: Zootopia is NOT bullshit...I just solved the mystery!

beLIEve said:
After reading all the posts regarding this calamity, I realized what was going on. I explained it to the Zootopians in a post. My moniker at the Zoo is my location here at Interference. And, you should be able to tell from my post that everything at the Zoo IS NOT bullshit! It's true!

beLIEve

:lmao:

That one girl's response to your post is hilarious . . . your poor, poor lemon :lol:

Everyone relax. I was at the 2nd Anaheim show and I'm 99% sure this story is made up. I got out of the venue about 15 or 20 minutes after the show and the band was long gone. How do I know? Because I waited for a while with a group of about 30 people (not a crowd) near the service entrance/exit. This person would have to be superhuman to get out onto the street in that amount of time. Even if she did, there was no way there would have been a crowd there with her. Also, Bono did sign autographs for a bunch of people before the show. He appeared near the service entrance which was about 40 or 50 yards away from the GA line. Almost immediately people began running over. I personally stayed my ground in the line because I thought for sure he would leave with people acting so silly. His security guy always tells people to be cool. But he actually stayed several minutes longer. I have had the luck of being in Bono's presence three times before, and I have never seen him deny anyone an autograph unless he wasn't signing for anyone. That sometimes happens when he's running late. In this case he just waves and says he's got to go.

I had him tell me no once, and then the next time I saw him he gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and he and Edge were two of the sweetest rock and roll stars I ever met. Everybody including Bono deserves a break to be not as charming once in a while.

You know why I believe it, because I heard him say something very similar to people bothering him in a hotel once. I put on here how he said that he doesn't mind outside the hotel, but in the hotel that's his place to be left alone (words not exact of course), and I've never bothered anybody including U2 in a hotel anyway, because he was right.

She doesn't say where this was, if it was on the street after the show? Or backstage? Sometimes he's just had it, like the rest of us. Sounds true to me because I got an explanation also when he said no.

She should just let it go.

Last edited:
Bonoed: Did he say no because he was running late or something? Was he nice about it when he mentioned the thing about not wanting to be bothered when in the hotel? (though he does sign things for people in the hotels, i hear, lol).

Blue Room: What did you see him do that was pissy? Just curious.

People are always asking me for my autograph and I am rude as can be.
"No you can't have my autograph lady!"
I work in a cubicle why do you want my autograph.
Damn fans.

not a cool story, but this happens when sometimes fans become too intrusive, it may have been not the case of this person, but maybe bono got annoyed in a precedent moment. but kindness should be never left off

Hmmm... it does seem odd. But, who knows. I was able to get autographs from edge and adam before the LA rehersal and they were really nice about it. Although bono did stop and rolled down his window and said sorry that he was having a bad day and that seems fair. He's tired it was 2 in the morning he had rehearsed for hours. I understand. He at least acknowledge and everyone was okay with it. I don't know. I've just heard positive things about him when signing autographs but this is truly odd. I would be disapointed if he were to say that to me but, who knows. I guess we better find out if they did indeed signed autographs after the show saturday night.....:eyebrow:

yes, he was really nice about it, and I was hurt also like what's wrong with me! Because he had signed people's pics, but maybe he didn't like what I handed him, he handed it back to me and said in his beautiful Irish broque, "not right now" and then he signed some people's photos after that. I've also seen Bono many, many times stop and talk to everybody, asking questions all about you. I would tell this woman, don't take it personal, it really has nothing to do with you, it's how he feels at the moment.

What I really want to hear are the Larry stories, he's the most reluctant signer/fan stopper/chatter of all, but I got lucky with him a few times and he was very, very charming.

I asked Bono for a signature once and he hit me in the face. He knocked me down and started kicking me. The Adam started in and Larry threw a stick at my ass. Edge stood there and nodded approvingly.

Obviously none of that is true. It just goes to show, any nutcase can post anything on a message board, it doesnt make it true. I've never met U2 but I have read about hundreds who have and the good outweighs the bad 99% to 1%.

Autographs are silly. They are a form of idolotry, and that is all. I would rather meet bono, shake his hand and say hi than have him sign his name on a cd, personally. He is a person just like anyone of us, and there is no reason to deify him.

Back
Top Bottom