Edge Quote on 3rd Leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/U/U2/2005/09/11/1212131-sun.html

U2 launched their latest tour on March 28 in San Diego and have performed 60 shows so far, wrapping up the European leg on Aug. 14. But The Edge said they feel like they're starting over after a month break and have no choice but to incorporate recent events into this latest leg.

"We're working on some new arrangements for songs, trying out a few things, so we have (Sunday) and the day after too to work with the stage," he said. "But obviously too, it's a different world right now, post this Gulf Coast disaster, we've got a few new things to consider and it would be wrong not to in someway reference it in the show. We haven't figured out quite how, what would be appropriate, but it's the thing that's on everybody's mind.

So they're going to figure it out in a day and a half?:huh:

I wonder if Bono will keep the "Lay down your guns all you Kmarters and Americans" line in LPOE. I'm not sure exactly what it means though, I understand the Americans part but where does Kmart come into play. I guess he hasn't heard that Kmart went under in many places. Maybe he should have said "Walmarters" instead.

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

I wonder if Bono will keep the "Lay down your guns all you Kmarters and Americans" line in LPOE. I'm not sure exactly what it means though, I understand the Americans part but where does Kmart come into play. I guess he hasn't heard that Kmart went under in many places. Maybe he should have said "Walmarters" instead.

I kinda heard it as 'K-Martyrs' in the dictionary sense of, 'one who suffers for the sake of principle'... just my interpretation.

ramblin rose said:

maybe he's referring to the looters? That's probably a stretch, but it's a possibility.

from the news:
And Keisha Moran, 22, was wandering amid the remnants of Kmart when she was thrown out of the way by looters going after television sets and guns.

U2 did totally change the show opening and running order of the set list in about one day between the first two shows in San Diego and the next one in Anaheim this spring. Willie Williams detailed it in his journal.

I can't wait to see what they come up with. Know that no matter what it will be good because it's U2. So refreshing to see that there are celebrities out there who use their status for good.

Quote: "Lay down your guns all you Kmarters and Americans" line in LPOE. I'm not sure exactly what it means though, I understand the Americans part but where does Kmart come into play. I guess he hasn't heard that Kmart went under in many places. Maybe he should have said "Walmarters" instead.

I'm pretty sure he meant the martyrs of hurricane "K"atrina but I could be being humorless here if there's a joke I'm not getting.

Don't get your hopes up, people. Maybe a SLIGHTLY modified setlist, maybe ONE new song, maybe a new speech by Bono, but ultimately, this is U2 here. We are not going to see any radical changes.

And if we do, I will be incredibly happy and more than willing to admit this post was thoroughly cynical and wrong. Please, U2, prove me wrong.

Axver said:
Don't get your hopes up, people. Maybe a SLIGHTLY modified setlist, maybe ONE new song, maybe a new speech by Bono, but ultimately, this is U2 here. We are not going to see any radical changes.

And if we do, I will be incredibly happy and more than willing to admit this post was thoroughly cynical and wrong. Please, U2, prove me wrong.
you have really started to critise U2 alot havent you mr axver

KUEFC09U2 said:
you have really started to critise U2 alot havent you mr axver

Just wait for a Lovetown thread and everything will be happy again. :wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
ah i remember the days when we used to stand together and defend the band

And I'll still defend the band from whatever undue criticism is made, as I expect there to be a lot. And just wait for my mood after the setlist of Toronto IV. :wink:

By the way, anyone know how many days U2 rehearsed before the start of Elevation's third leg? A few modifications were introduced then in the wake of 11/09/01, so I'd like to know how long they rehearsed those. If it was only three days like now, then I'll retract a bit of my cynicism.

This - and considering this leg has 4 Toronto and 5 New York dates - makes me think we will see some changes.

Axver said:

Please, U2, prove that Axver is one big liar.

Jim said:

I kinda heard it as 'K-Martyrs' in the dictionary sense of, 'one who suffers for the sake of principle'... just my interpretation.

Good pick-up! My ears heard "paid martyrs," which I took to maybe be an anti-war sentiment. Who knows. I'd love to see a bit more edge to the show this time around.

U2girl said:
This - and considering this leg has 4 Toronto and 5 New York dates - makes me think we will see some changes.

I think we'll have a similar backbone, but you're right---having so many repeat shows means that there's got to be some variability in a least a song or two, no? And hopefully that variability will carry through in even the cities with one or two shows...

Utoo said:

I think we'll have a similar backbone, but you're right---having so many repeat shows means that there's got to be some variability in a least a song or two, no? And hopefully that variability will carry through in even the cities with one or two shows...

As much as the Toronto and NYC shows will vary, the very question I've been wondering is whether this will indeed hold over to any other shows or not. Nowhere else has even three consecutive shows (I think Boston's gotten cheated out of exciting sets by having its four shows split into two groups of two, but maybe change WILL take place anyway).

i'm thinking there's going to be very little change on the third leg--maybe Miss S. will stay, maybe WGRYWH will make the occasional appearance...but I have low expectations for a revamped setlist. (and i'm actually fine with that...Vertigox2? bring it on!)

ruffian said:
and i'm actually fine with that

Yeah, honestly--since I didn't see them at all on the 1st leg, it wouldn't bother me if they played the same set as the first 2 legs. And since I'm going to both shows in DC, I'm hoping that there'll be maybe a song or two difference.. Either way, I'm psyched to go.

ruffian said:
i'm thinking there's going to be very little change on the third leg--maybe Miss S. will stay, maybe WGRYWH will make the occasional appearance...but I have low expectations for a revamped setlist. (and i'm actually fine with that...Vertigox2? bring it on!)

:up:

Bring it! :rockon:

because before we know it, it'll be Christmas, and it will be all over :sad: :reject:

kellyahern said:

:up:

Bring it! :rockon:

because before we know it, it'll be Christmas, and it will be all over :sad: :reject:

:up: :up:

I may mock because I love but never out of meanness - I'm just pleased that u2 is out there touring really -even if vertigo is played twice a night for 4 months

but I still fear a serious drumstick injury is going to occur before everything is done

Is there any credence to the oft-mentioned suggestion that U2's shows on this 3rd leg will be shorter than the shows on the 1st leg?

Chris in NH

NHChris said:
Is there any credence to the oft-mentioned suggestion that U2's shows on this 3rd leg will be shorter than the shows on the 1st leg?

Chris in NH

Well, the shows only got longer on the 2nd leg, so hopefully that pattern will continue on the 3rd ... then they can play for five hours when they finally hold the 10th leg down here after touring the US and Europe repeatedly!

Axver said:

By the way, anyone know how many days U2 rehearsed before the start of Elevation's third leg? A few modifications were introduced then in the wake of 11/09/01, so I'd like to know how long they rehearsed those. If it was only three days like now, then I'll retract a bit of my cynicism.

2 days with the full stage (including the afternoon of the first show). I think they worked on Peace On Earth and Whats Going On back in Dublin though prior to arriving in the U.S.

Blue Room said:

2 days with the full stage (including the afternoon of the first show). I think they worked on Peace On Earth and Whats Going On back in Dublin though prior to arriving in the U.S.

Well then, I suppose a retraction of some cynicism is in order - especially as we've no idea how they spent the last month. The third leg saw the return of ISHFWILF (played once previously on Elevation), the debut of Please only nine days into the third leg, What's Going On and Peace On Earth, etc.

So hopefully we're in for a bit of a change!

Axver said:

Well then, I suppose a retraction of some cynicism is in order - especially as we've no idea how they spent the last month. The third leg saw the return of ISHFWILF (played once previously on Elevation), the debut of Please only nine days into the third leg, What's Going On and Peace On Earth, etc.

So hopefully we're in for a bit of a change!

I would go back to your cynical stance. :laugh: Word on the street is that the band did nothing after Lisbon other than rest until arriving in Toronto a few days ago. :shrug:

Blue Room said:

I would go back to your cynical stance. :laugh: Word on the street is that the band did nothing after Lisbon other than rest until arriving in Toronto a few days ago. :shrug:

:lol:

How about healthy cynicism with a dash of hope? Sounds like a good combo to me. Though I thought some word had been going around that U2 had spent time in the studio during the break?

Back
Top Bottom