Bootlegs - has the thrill gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2mixer

War Child
Hi all

Like every fan on here I'm always dlding the latest boot, but before the internet and before mp3s and before even dial-up (nevermind broadband and lossless music files) I used to snail trade and go to the local record shows/fairs to get my fix.

The excitement when seeing a rare boot from the latest tour when flipping through the racks of CDs (even looking through vinyl and tape before CDs and CDRs!!!) was a real thrill!
And I couldn't wait to get it home to hear it properly through my hi-fi (no ipods then, kids).

Now, I realise that all this technology is fantastic. All this sharing is f*cking fantastic. DVDs of the shows available less than a mon th after the show is AMAZING!

BUT...has the thrill gone?

Now I just get home, go on the forum, dld the latest DVD with mixed sound and full chapters while eating my lunch.
Then it's onto the next dld.
It's great, but its just not the same.

Where is the thrill?

I know this won't mean much to the kids who have grown up in te internet enviroment, but to those of us who remember snail trading etc...has the thrill gone?

U2mixer said:
Hi all

Like every fan on here I'm always dlding the latest boot, but before the internet and before mp3s and before even dial-up (nevermind broadband and lossless music files) I used to snail trade and go to the local record shows/fairs to get my fix.

The excitement when seeing a rare boot from the latest tour when flipping through the racks of CDs (even looking through vinyl and tape before CDs and CDRs!!!) was a real thrill!
And I couldn't wait to get it home to hear it properly through my hi-fi (no ipods then, kids).

Now, I realise that all this technology is fantastic. All this sharing is f*cking fantastic. DVDs of the shows available less than a mon th after the show is AMAZING!

BUT...has the thrill gone?

Now I just get home, go on the forum, dld the latest DVD with mixed sound and full chapters while eating my lunch.

Where is the thrill?

I know this won't mean much to the kids who have grown up in te internet enviroment, but to those of us who remember snail trading etc...has the thrill gone?

not completely..it is not liek it used to be in the beginning but "special" shows with different songs I allways look forward too..it is realy a luxureous "problem":wink:

In the Joshua Tree period there were bootlegs available on vinyl... Now collectors items... In the Zoo-TV and Popmart period you were able to buy some pressed CD bootlegs from the previous leg's... These days (including the Elevation period) the thrill IS gone indeed! In the good old days I was waiting months after the Popmart tour started to hear something from the Popmart tour... Now you can download 5 different version's of a show the very next day! The thrill is gone...

BUT...... Now you can also download DVD's.. Which are harder to get and more exclusive... So tháts my new thrill really...

I have terrible trouble downloading bootlegs, but I am very impressed by the way you Interferencers find instant links to stuff. The thrill of the chase HAS gone, but I think we've all enjoyed this tour more than ever... thanks to the Internet. I certainly have.:wink:

1stOne said:
I have terrible trouble downloading bootlegs, but I am very impressed by the way you Interferencers find instant links to stuff. The thrill of the chase HAS gone, but I think we've all enjoyed this tour more than ever... thanks to the Internet. I certainly have.:wink:

What kind of problems, do you have, Sylvia?

Bootlegs "used" to be very special to me, I think they still are.
Waiting 12 hours was kinda Cool...then the treasured Recording would be finished...now with ADSL, hell I love getting shows in 2-3 hours (sometimes less :wink: )....but it takes away a bit of the specialty that they used to be.

Still love listening to them over and over though.

I thought I was the only one.
I was a junkie trying to get a fix just waiting outside my special shops every week, hoping to score.
Would it be an import single I didn't know existed?
A rumored remix?
A 2 disc set for 50 bucks?
I'll take it, all of it, anuything I can get!!!!
Now?
Click, wait listen.
I do love the amazing ease with which I download discs from the comfort of my own home in my boxers at 2:00 am though.

U2Man said:

What kind of problems, do you have, Sylvia?

All kinds! I have only successfully downloaded one boot from U2torrents. I just don't get all that file converting and seeders and leechers stuff. KBRY helped me with that, but I've had the computer on days trying to download Croke 3 and my ratio was too low so I've stopped it in the end. It takes forever!

I think that forums like this are absolutely fantastic.. and prove that there's a HUGE amount of stuff out there.

I kind of agree that the thrill of getting a proper bootleg has kind of gone, but instead I get to hear other gems instead that I would never have heard in the past.

Without modern technology, songs like the outakes from BOMB & ATYCLB, and the macphisto version of Goldeneye would never have seen the light of day..

I also don't have to worry too much if I get a concert and Bono really buggers up my favourite song, because I know I can just get a different one.. In the past I'd have had to have stuck with it.

Keep em coming, is what I say and thankyou loads to anyone again who has taken the time to record and upload concerts onto the forum...

macphisto version of Goldeneye :ohmy: :drool:

What the hell? Is that a song?

EDIT : Found a copy already:wink: I guess I missed this one...

Last edited:
U2mixer said:

You can download a whole DVD over lunch? :eyebrow: It takes me at least a day, if not longer...

Last edited:
I would say if you were/are an old school bootleg collector and are now only downloading, the thrill is definately gone. I'm definately old school as I have been collecting since 1988 and started out trading on cassette and purchasing vinyl boots at record shows. But, I'm on dial up and I dont care for mp3 sourced material. So really, things havent changed for me. I still only trade via snail mail and now for the most part, I only trade with people I have known for a very long time. Then I know what I'm getting, how it was sourced, and 1st gens of everything without a doubt. So its really all about your own personal perspective I guess. There still is the thrill of the hunt for me. Its just changed from just getting A copy of X show, to looking for different sources and/or better sources than what is circulating on the net.

Neilz said:
macphisto version of Goldeneye :ohmy: :drool:

What the hell? Is that a song?

EDIT : Found a copy already:wink: I guess I missed this one...

Where did you find it? I've never heard of this......

Pros and cons to todays technology i reckon. Some of the friends i've made through trading since JT tour with cassettes are still friends to this day, dont know if this happens as much anymore as a lot of people can 'lurk' in these forums and just get the links to d/load shows etc. I find it difficult to get used to conversing though text/forums as i cant always write what i want to say:wink:
The good thing about todays 'form' of trading is that you can be pretty sure most of the people are hearing the same thing, gone are the days when you got a crappy tape about 6th gen that when you hear the original bears no resemblance. obviously the speed of obtaining shows is a plus also

I find it difficult to get used to conversing though text/forums as i cant always write what i want to say:wink:

See what I mean :huh:

Blue Room said:
I would say if you were/are an old school bootleg collector and are now only downloading, the thrill is definately gone. I'm definately old school as I have been collecting since 1988 and started out trading on cassette and purchasing vinyl boots at record shows. But, I'm on dial up and I dont care for mp3 sourced material. So really, things havent changed for me. I still only trade via snail mail and now for the most part, I only trade with people I have known for a very long time. Then I know what I'm getting, how it was sourced, and 1st gens of everything without a doubt. So its really all about your own personal perspective I guess. There still is the thrill of the hunt for me. Its just changed from just getting A copy of X show, to looking for different sources and/or better sources than what is circulating on the net.

This is true as I still go to record fairs / CD shows and have recently met a guy who has original (not out there - supposedly) taped shows of U2 in the UK from the early 80's - I'm meeting up with him again soon so I will update interested parties if something comes of it - I need proof, obviously.

Also, at the last fair I was offered for £200 a 3 silver disc set of the original Zoo TV Sydney broadcast audio show (there are loads of versions out there) with the full adverts and breaks unedited and intros/outros complete with the original station scripts - but as I had already traded with a guy for the Westwood One version then I declined.

Yeh, I suppose that you've made me look at it from a different angle as that if everyone has all the internet stuff then finding that golden nugget lying in someone's collection or some traders stall would still be a great thrill - and, more importantly, something to trade with.

KEVIN051269 said:

Where did you find it? I've never heard of this......

Pros and cons to todays technology i reckon. Some of the friends i've made through trading since JT tour with cassettes are still friends to this day, dont know if this happens as much anymore as a lot of people can 'lurk' in these forums and just get the links to d/load shows etc. I find it difficult to get used to conversing though text/forums as i cant always write what i want to say:wink:
The good thing about todays 'form' of trading is that you can be pretty sure most of the people are hearing the same thing, gone are the days when you got a crappy tape about 6th gen that when you hear the original bears no resemblance. obviously the speed of obtaining shows is a plus also

I find it difficult to get used to conversing though text/forums as i cant always write what i want to say:wink:

See what I mean :huh:

http://www.u2log.com/bt/btdownload.php?type=torrent&file=01+-+U2+-+Goldeneye+(Demo+1)

Niceman said:
Well, I know some people are sick of hearing people say it...but downloading bootlegs would be more exciting if the setlist varied more.....
yes maybe we should tell the band that is becoming boring downloading bootlegs, as they keep the same set, hmmm so you havent got many from Zoo then no?

KUEFC09U2 said:
yes maybe we should tell the band that is becoming boring downloading bootlegs, as they keep the same set, hmmm so you havent got many from Zoo then no?

:up:

U2 play for a lot of people, but there's one group of people they don't play for: the group of people sitting at home downloading bootlegs. (And for the record, I'm one of them)

Axver said:

:up:

U2 play for a lot of people, but there's one group of people they don't play for: the group of people sitting at home downloading bootlegs. (And for the record, I'm one of them)
me too, just pretty comical when people make comments like that, its kinda like saying "well i download all your bootlegs, and you always play mostly the same setlist" lol

almost as bad as the "well i go to ALL of your shows, every single one, i also sit outside your studio when you reharse, but i always hear the same songs

KUEFC09U2 said:
me too, just pretty comical when people make comments like that, its kinda like saying "well i download all your bootlegs, and you always play mostly the same setlist" lol

almost as bad as the "well i go to ALL of your shows, every single one, i also sit outside your studio when you reharse, but i always hear the same songs

:lol: Yeah. You know what you're getting - if you're enough of a fanatic to go to all the shows, you know they'll play largely the same thing. If you don't like that, don't go. Personally, I think there's a whole lot more to a concert than just the songs - there's an atmosphere you can't replicate elsewhere.

If you try to download every bootleg from every show, then yes, you'll get bored out of your mind with them. Geez, I can't even listen to an entire show anymore because I have to skip the tired staples like "Pride" and "With or Without You" and such, never mind an entire tour.

Just grab a few highlights from each tour. They vary their setlists and how they play the songs slowly over a tour, so if you get a few snapshots months apart, you'll get a decent mix and it'll all stay fresh.

Axver said:

:lol: Yeah. You know what you're getting - if you're enough of a fanatic to go to all the shows, you know they'll play largely the same thing. If you don't like that, don't go. Personally, I think there's a whole lot more to a concert than just the songs - there's an atmosphere you can't replicate elsewhere.
YOUR NOT A REALB FAN.......... SHEEP!!!!!!!!!!213111111

KUEFC09U2 said:
YOUR NOT A REALB FAN.......... SHEEP!!!!!!!!!!213111111

Oh, yes, sorry. U2 SUXXXXXX and they should play Babyface because I'm one of only ten real fans in the entire world and thus U2 have to play what I want.

Better?

Axver said:

Oh, yes, sorry. U2 SUXXXXXX and they should play Babyface because I'm one of only ten real fans in the entire world and thus U2 have to play what I want.

Better?
spot on:wink:

Back
Top Bottom