Australian crowds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
Hello,

Just a quick topic to the Aussies here, or anyone who has seen a show in Australia...does anyone think the Aussie crowds can be a little lame?

Yes, ZOO TV Sydney shows a great crowd and I was at ZOO TV Brisbane and they were good too. However, in recent years the crowds seem to get worse and worse.

Examples:

U2 Popmart crowds werent too enthusiastic. I was told to sit down on the field as the people behind me couldnt see too well!

The Stones: once again told to sit down cos people behind me couldnt see. I know, I know...the crowd for The Stones are old but some of my family went to the Montreal show and the oldies were up dancin' all night!

REM: saw them in Brissie this year and it was most definately THE worst crowd I have been in. I felt ashamed as people sat at the front (even during the most popular songs) and then to my astonishment, people began to leave during the last song (Man on the Moon too!) to beat the traffic! How embarrassing!

I really hope this isnt the case when U2 grace our shores in 2006.

It can be hit and miss. The recent REM show in Melb had most people sitting - but to be honest, they played a lot of rarities, ballads and stuff from the new album. Thus people didnt know it and didnt get excited. When they did 'Orange Crush', 'Losing My Religion' etc people got up.

At Delta Goodrem (the shame - but the girl can sing!) the hwole place stayed seated - but hen again she told people to sit because 50% of the crowd was under 10 years old.

It seems if the band isnt doing the hits, people get bored - and that is pretty bad form for an arena or stadium gig. The only recent show I saw where people were up for the whole show was probably Kylie... even Jet had the crowd sitting for most of the show.

I've seen hit and miss Aussie crowds. I'm in Adelaide, where I saw the worst U2 concert EVA (Zoo) (IMO) and about a third of the crowd I reckon were into it. Saw them in Sydney Stadium for Zoo and PopMart and the whole stadium rocked. (I ran onto the field at both, even tho I didn't have GAs and was allowed to stay :shifty: even by the shitty security at PopMart)

Saw REM in Adelaide this year and the whole arena stood for the whole gig. :rockon:

I don't know, depends how much they drink? :wink:

Australian - or at least Queensland - crowds are the fucking worst on the planet. Absolutely no contest. I have never seen crowds this bad.

Last night at the Finn Brothers, EVERYONE sat. The people in the front row waved their arms, but beyond that, everyone was stock-still, not even moving in their seats. I got so pissed that I moved to the empty back row and got up to dance, and by the end of the show, four other people close to me with no-one behind them also got up to dance.

I simply cannot believe that NO-ONE stood when the Finns busted into songs like It's Only Natural, Six Months In A Leaky Boat, and I Got You. I am staggered. They didn't even MOVE. They just SAT THERE like dummies or mannequins.

Australian crowds are the most pathetic audiences in the history of the planet. End of fuckin' discussion.

Axver said:
I simply cannot believe that NO-ONE stood when the Finns busted into songs like It's Only Natural, Six Months In A Leaky Boat, and I Got You. I am staggered. They didn't even MOVE. They just SAT THERE like dummies or mannequins.

Australian crowds are the most pathetic audiences in the history of the planet. End of fuckin' discussion.

I agree. They are so empathetic. It was a similar story at Sydney I the crowd just sat there.... cheered sure - but didn't stand. But at Sydney II after Neil explicitally requested 90% of the crowd did - and danced away to the I Got You -> Weather With You -> Dirty Creature combo. Many danced ( :shifty: )

Yes I agree Australian crowds blow. I think it's not so much they don't want to dance... but they are afraid to be the first one. Whenever the odd person would stand up for a particular song (say I for History) then everyone would point and laugh. FUCK it's a fucking rock concert you're supposed to stand up convicts! :mad:

pub crawler said:
And here's a thought: perhaps most Aussies are just polite motherfuckers. :wink:

Rude wankers, I say. I think it's completely disrespectful to the artist to not stand. It's like you're saying "your music is not worth my energy or participation".

pub crawler said:
And here's a thought: perhaps most Aussies are just polite motherfuckers. :wink:

You may well be kidding. But even still I agree with 50% of your definition. :wink:

But about the "polite" portion of that definition. I actually think its disrespectful to the performers (who really the night is about) to just sit there looking aimlessly into the sky twiddling your thumbs. I think you should be making a concerted (no pun intended) effort to show some interests. :shrug:

I disagree. Its not disrespectful. I'm a bit of a sitter most of the time, depending on the band. I like to listen to the music not sing over the top of it. I guess it depends if you go to a concert for the music or the entertainment. I'm into music personally.

timothius said:

I agree. They are so empathetic. It was a similar story at Sydney I the crowd just sat there.... cheered sure - but didn't stand. But at Sydney II after Neil explicitally requested 90% of the crowd did - and danced away to the I Got You -> Weather With You -> Dirty Creature combo. Many danced ( :shifty: )

Yes I agree Australian crowds blow. I think it's not so much they don't want to dance... but they are afraid to be the first one. Whenever the odd person would stand up for a particular song (say I for History) then everyone would point and laugh. FUCK it's a fucking rock concert you're supposed to stand up convicts! :mad:

Neil actually had to ASK the crowd to sing along to Better Be Home Soon (with the addition of "I like it when you do that"), and even then, I don't think half the people sung. The crowd's atmosphere was absolutely atrocious; I can't believe what I witnessed. I'm so damn glad that back row was free, because once I moved up there, I could get into it and really enjoy myself.

I just don't understand this completely lazy and plain rude attitude of Australian audiences. My mother refuses to go to concerts here because the crowd's so bad - she made an exception for the Finns and enjoyed herself immensely despite the crowd, but isn't likely to go to much more again. I know multiple people from New Zealand who've come over here and been heckled, abused, and insulted just for standing and enjoying the show. Indeed, my mother went to a show where the woman behind her would furiously kick the seat if she just RAISED HER HANDS!

I swear, if I'm in seats at U2, I'm standing, and I'll damn well try to get everyone else to stand too. And if they abuse me - hey, they're getting the finger and a bit more. You just CAN'T enjoy a show sitting down. IT'S A ROCK CONCERT, NOT A FUCKING MOVIE, YOU BLOODY OCKERS! :madspit:

(By the way, Tim, know anywhere where I could find last night's set because I simply can't remember it all? Absolutely INCREDIBLE show, close to being as good as U2, especially the encores for me, as that's when I got the most amazing rendition of Six Months In A Leaky Boat I could have ever imagined.)

beli said:
I disagree. Its not disrespectful. I'm a bit of a sitter most of the time, depending on the band. I like to listen to the music not sing over the top of it. I guess it depends if you go to a concert for the music or the entertainment. I'm into music personally.

I stand BECAUSE of the music. It's that good that it actually makes me want to move and dance and enjoy myself rather than just sit there and be passive. It's like I'm saying to the band "your music is so good that it destroys any passive attitude I have and makes me want to be active; you are worth my energy and participation as well as my time, money, and observance".

And you just can't help but sing when it's an artist or band like the Finns who write such brilliant and catchy melodies and choruses.

Axver said:
(By the way, Tim, know anywhere where I could find last night's set because I simply can't remember it all? Absolutely INCREDIBLE show, close to being as good as U2, especially the encores for me, as that's when I got the most amazing rendition of Six Months In A Leaky Boat I could have ever imagined.)

There are about 3 places & they normally pop up on one of them. When I see it I'll give it too you.

Six Months... with the long sauntering solo? :drool:

I'm glad you had a wicked time... I wait your review. :yes:

To keep this on topic... Australian crowds :down:

(I will just throw this example... after the last concert there were about 10 of us left up the front and I just asked sort of generally where are you guys from - expecting Sydney, Newcastle etc etc... instead I get - Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, Christchurch, Rotarua... typical)

timothius said:
There are about 3 places & they normally pop up on one of them. When I see it I'll give it too you.

Great, thanks mate! I'm not going to write a review until I have a setlist, because that helps me to remember everything and keep some semblance of order. At the moment it's just coming out as I recall it.

Six Months... with the long sauntering solo? :drool:

Oh, it was so amazing. The song had ended, then Neil started to get the crowd to do that "dah dah dah" bit at the end [I don't know quite how to render it], and then they just ripped into that huge solo and I never thought it was going to end. It was SO AMAZING. And I GOT YOU! Wow, that rocked so incredibly hard.

To keep this on topic... Australian crowds :down:

(I will just throw this example... after the last concert there were about 10 of us left up the front and I just asked sort of generally where are you guys from - expecting Sydney, Newcastle etc etc... instead I get - Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, Christchurch, Rotarua... typical)

Yep, everyone I know who actually gets up to participate and gets abused is from New Zealand. The irony is people here on Interference whine about American crowds being bland - heck, at least all of my nosebleed section at Boston I was on their feet! In Brisbane, EVERYONE sat, it was so fucking appalling. I think that since the show, I've talked more about how pathetic the crowd was than about the show itself, which is sad as it was one of the most incredible things I've witnessed.

Mercury Rev were a great opener too! :up:

Axver said:

I stand BECAUSE of the music. It's that good that it actually makes me want to move and dance and enjoy myself rather than just sit there and be passive. It's like I'm saying to the band "your music is so good that it destroys any passive attitude I have and makes me want to be active; you are worth my energy and participation as well as my time, money, and observance".

And you just can't help but sing when it's an artist or band like the Finns who write such brilliant and catchy melodies and choruses.

Different strokes. There is no one correct way to enjoy a concert.

Im a huge Finn nut too but I never sing over their songs. Not even at home. The Finns have such beautiful harmonies I want to listen to them not me.

Not dancing has nothing to do with being passive. At an orchestra or opera event/concert people aren't up and dancing - their listening. Not that its wrong to dance to classical music either. Different people react and appreciate music in different ways. There is no correct nor incorrect way to appreciate a concert.

I say it's just plain rude to tell someone to sit down, to stop dancing, to stop enjoying themselves, to stop showing the artist that they CARE.

And I don't think you can reasonably compare a rock concert to an opera concert. Completely different kind of energy.

I defy ANYONE to justify sitting stock still, without the faintest sign of moving, when the Finns bust into the most rocking rendition of I Got You you can imagine. And yet this dumb bloody Brisbane crowd DID. :mad:

Axver said:
Mercury Rev were a great opener too! :up:

Did he do that "I am strooooooooooong" part at the end. He :heart: Freddie Mercury. :yes: *cough*gay*cough*

But seriously Australia do every kind of event like this passively. Even at the cricket or rugby they just kind of sit there with a pie and just on look. Contrast this with say the Barmy Army, Indians or even the small band of Kiwis... it's a different kettle of fish. If you get up and yell you are actually shunned. It's really quite emotionless really

beli said:

Different strokes. There is no one correct way to enjoy a concert.

Im a huge Finn nut too but I never sing over their songs. Not even at home. The Finns have such beautiful harmonies I want to listen to them not me.

Thats actually a really good point, that I haven't really thought too much into. I can understand why some people would want to do that, but really is it too much trouble to get on your feet and have your hands around during I Got You, which is only really played for the crowds benifit considering Neil must be nearing the two thousandth time he has played it? As Ax said if they are asked to sing and they don't sing isn't that really just plain apathy/rudeness?

timothius said:
Did he do that "I am strooooooooooong" part at the end. He :heart: Freddie Mercury. :yes: *cough*gay*cough*

You know what? I honestly cannot remember, but I was very impressed by the entire display. They treated it as if it was their own show and the performance was much better for it. I particularly enjoyed one song with the line "I know it seems impossible", and their video display is great!

But seriously Australia do every kind of event like this passively. Even at the cricket or rugby they just kind of sit there with a pie and just on look. Contrast this with say the Barmy Army, Indians or even the small band of Kiwis... it's a different kettle of fish. If you get up and yell you are actually shunned. It's really quite emotionless really

I must be lucky when it comes to sport, as I've never actually had cause to complain. Then again, the ones I've gone to with the most passionate crowds have been when New Zealand has played and I've been in the midst of a non-Aussie crowd, so that may have something to do with it! My first cricket game was NZ versus South Africa at the 'Gabba (Cairns won that game for us; amazing century, one of the best I've seen) and the pack of Kiwis and South Africans I found myself in were all cheering and standing and having a great time.

I definitely agree the crowd last night was totally emotionless. It felt like I was at a movie. I won't stand for that when U2 come 'round. If that had been U2 last night, I would've run down to the bottom of the stairs of my section and tried to get everyone on their feet.

Unappreciative *muttermutter* bloody Queenslanders :madspit:

timothius said:

Thats actually a really good point, that I haven't really thought too much into. I can understand why some people would want to do that, but really is it too much trouble to get on your feet and have your hands around during I Got You, which is only really played for the crowds benifit considering Neil must be nearing the two thousandth time he has played it? As Ax said if they are asked to sing and they don't sing isn't that really just plain apathy/rudeness?

I cannot see any justification for sitting during I Got You. Now, the singing argument may hold some water - but personally, as a compulsive [and bad] singer who couldn't stop himself even if he wanted to, I'm not singing over them, I'm singing along with them, and even when I'm belting out a song with the Finns, I can hear them clearly.

When something's that insanely catchy, it deserves to be sung with! I don't know why sometimes the Australians get frightened!

Axver said:

(Cairns won that game for us; amazing century, one of the best I've seen) and the pack of Kiwis and South Africans I found myself in were all cheering and standing and having a great time.

I know the game :combust: I have it on (shitty quality) tape. If I recall correctly there was a sign in the crowd that day... did Daniel ever call you? :hmm:

Also I think it's pretty disrespectful of beli to bring logic into this Australian bashing thread. :wink:

timothius said:

I know the game :combust: I have it on (shitty quality) tape. If I recall correctly there was a sign in the crowd that day... did Daniel ever call you? :hmm:

Also I think it's pretty disrespectful of beli to bring logic into this Australian bashing thread. :wink:

:lol: Unfortunately not. :wink:

I seriously thought we were going to lose that game. Halfway through our innings, my head was in my hands and the South African by me was grinning his face off. Then Cairns ... wow, Cairns! What a century! If I remember correctly, he bashed this huge six to bring up the 100. The best part was on the train coming home, the entire carriage sung the New Zealand anthem - except for two poor South Africans looking very out of place!

Australians ... and logic? Nah, it'll never catch on. :wink:

beli said:
:lol:

At the moment if you buy a certain amount of lingerie from Bras N Things you go in the draw to win two tickets to New Zealand. Perhaps you two should enter. :wink:

:hmm:

There's still tickets to the Finns' second concert in Wellington ...

(And it'll probably have a decent bloody crowd!! :mad: )

Australian bashing threads :up: :wink:

Axver said:
The best part was on the train coming home, the entire carriage sung the New Zealand anthem - except for two poor South Africans looking very out of place!

That reminds me of me & my mate after the last Bledisloe we won. We heckled (bordered on harrassment) various Australians basically saying "come on Australia let's sing waltzing matilda now....no I didn't think so you !@#$%ing fairweather north shore poofs etc etc There's power in the black jersey!" :love:

Memories, memories.

What did they open with Axver? Anything Can Happen or Part Of Me Part Of You?

Austrlaian Crowds :down:

U2 shouldn't come I've decided.

beli said:

At the moment if you buy a certain amount of lingerie from Bras N Things you go in the draw to win two tickets to New Zealand. Perhaps you two should enter. :wink:

:shifty:

Already Have...

Just reading the reports of the Finn concerts from Perth, Mark Seymour joined them on stage. I hate Perth. :sad:

"The trip includes a 5 day Adventure holiday to Mt Ruapehu plus flights from the nearest capital city, accommodation, car hire and adventure actitivities. The prize is valud up to $12,00"

Second prize

"A trip for two to Brisbane to see the Ten Tenors in concert"

:lol: but don't sing. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom