The official let's retire Elevation thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elevation is a great song, and was a great tour opener, but i agree its time to replace it, the same with Bullet The Blue Sky

Bring Twilight, Acrobat and Dirty Day

"Twilight!" Great song

I love Elevation. I don't want them to replace it at all.

I do want them to get rid of Pride, Bullet and Sunday Blooday Sundy though, Booorriinng.

Last edited:
I was totally into the Elevation performance of San Diego 2 when I heard it. Definitely better than the 1st show. I hope it's played on through the rest of the tour , esp mid-Nov. :wink:

Nube Gris said:
Elevation is a great song, and was a great tour opener, but i agree its time to replace it, the same with Bullet The Blue Sky

Bring Twilight, Acrobat and Dirty Day

"Twilight!" Great song

Hey those are three of the top four long shots I wanted to hear! Twilight is ridiculously good. I would lose it if they actually played that song. And Dirty Day is the best song on Zooropa.

UTEOTW would be a great substitute for Elevation for 3 reasons.

1) As noted, this show works in little trilogies of songs. The trilogy to which Elevation has been assigned is currently simply a "hard rocking" trilogy. UTEOTW rocks hard.

2) It would then become an Achtung Baby trifecta as well. :rockon:

3) Though everyone knows the encores are coming, UTEOTW sounds like a song that could end of the set. It is climactic, and the final lines sound like the natural end of a set to me. So yeah.

i actually want to murder that song, not retire it.

does that even make sense?

i'm not sure.

but i really, really hate it.

Iskra said:
You want to retire a song that is one album old?

There are better songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind that could be played. Sheesh, they could go back to the rehearsal setlist and push Vertigo into the slot Elevation is in, and then play something else in its place earlier, Kite, Walk On, New York, etc. Or just keep Beautiful Day and leave the rest of the album behind. I mean, there were quite a few shows on Elevation when no POP tunes were played, and NO Zooropa songs made it onto Popmart

Zoomerang96 said:
i actually want to murder that song, not retire it.

does that even make sense?

i'm not sure.

but i really, really hate it.

Perhaps we could delve into the black arts and use a spell to give it a mortal physical form. Then it could be destroyed bloodily.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: If you don't like Elevation, you don't like U2.

I love your idea about replacing it in the setlist with UTEOTW, though Unforgettable Lemon.

Nerfherder said:
Well, it sounds like they screwed it up again tonight... So maybe it won't last for much longer. :shrug:

they did NOT screw it up in SD2

the screw up in SD1 was that Larry jumped in with the drums too early, so it forced bono go into "A star lit up like a cigar".. while in SD2 they kept the guitar solo going with Bono singing "A mole digging in a hole..." verse before they went full band

Zoomerang96 said:

don't give me any of that shit.

thanks.

chiiill...I was stating a fact. Elevation is a U2 song, and if you don't like it, you idirectly don't like U2. Take that however you want.

FullonEdge2 said:

chiiill...I was stating a fact. Elevation is a U2 song, and if you don't like it, you idirectly don't like U2. Take that however you want.

U2 and their songs are seperate entities. Not liking something U2 has done does not mean one does not like U2, not in the least. It just mean that one has a more objective perspective with the artist's body of work.

i don;t understand why everyone hates this song. the guy who started it said he hates the song, but it was a good opener. what the hell kinda contradictory bullshit is that? lol what does that mean? bullet goes before elevation. take a break.

UnforgettableLemon said:

U2 and their songs are seperate entities. Not liking something U2 has done does not mean one does not like U2, not in the least. It just mean that one has a more objective perspective with the artist's body of work.

LOL

I really hope they don't take Elevation off the set list cause it really worked out well on the second night. The performance was alot sharper. I really liked it and it would be great if they keep trying new things with it. They obviously worked on it before the concert which means that they probably want to keep playing it.

I really hope they don't take Elevation off the set list cause it really worked out well on the second night. The performance was alot sharper. I really liked it and it would be great if they keep trying new things with it. They obviously worked on it before the concert which means that they probably want to keep playing it.

Zoomerang96, since you hate Elevation, I'm curious if you like Beautiful Day, Kite, or New York. I am not catching on to your tastes in U2. It seems you hate all of Zooropa and I suspect that ATYCLB is crap in your opinion. Let us all know what U2's great works are, so that we can stop listening to their bad songs :wink:

I try to be objective when talking about U2's music, but I can't help but say that I at least like 99% of it. There are songs that I would call average but I can't really think of any that I just plain hate.

i wouldnt have as much a problem with Elevation if it wasnt the last song on the main set. Why the hell is it there?

another thing, that hard riff after "I believe in you....." isn't there anymore and it doesnt sound good.

Last edited:
Elevation shouldn't be played on the grounds that it has the single worst stanza in any U2 song:

"A mole
digging in a hole,
digging up my soul now
going down, excavation"

The first time I put ATYCLB in my cd player on that Halloween day in 2000, I couldn't believe that Bono actually wrote that lyric. Then I couldn't believe that it would become the name of the tour. Then I couldn't believe that it was a single. Then I couldn't believe U2 would put the Edge in a video for said single running around with Lara Croft (which was, incidentally, a bad movie). And now I can't believe that, among all of the incredible songs on this album, and all of the incredible songs in the catalogue (including no less than 10 on ATYCLB that are better than Elevation), that it will now be appearing every night near the end of the regular set.

I don't understand the defenses of Elevation (i.e. it is a crowd pleaser, it rocks, anything U2 plays is great). There are so many songs that can be loud, fun rock and roll that aren't complete boring crap we heard every night of the last tour. Elevation had its place and time, and that time is now over.

Last edited:
FullonEdge2 said:

Worst post ever...

Hey, I didn't even realize I wasn't a U2 fan. I mean I used to just skip over Red Light and Shadows and Tall Trees thinking that I didn't like those songs, now I understand that I am not even a U2 fan BECAUSE I don't like them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, FullOnEdge2, I have to say your logic is astounding.

ihavefollowed said:

I don't understand the defenses of Elevation (i.e. it is a crowd pleaser, it rocks, anything U2 plays is great). There are so many songs that can be loud, fun rock and roll that aren't complete boring crap we heard every night of the last tour. Elevation had its place and time, and that time is now over.

exactly.

Roland of Gilead said:
I want to hear what it sounds like when they nail it before passing judgement.

:yes:

Besides, I do like Elevation, even if it doesn't seem to quite fit in this tour. I always thought that they would never sing a tour opener song at another tour, but it's interesting to know that aside from Elevation, they've been playing Zoo Station as well. And is it true they're playing Mofo? :hyper:

ultraviolet353 said:
There will always be songs that are left out, or overplayed...but, this song might be the worst song off the last album

that's funny. i think it was the best song on ATYCLB

Back
Top Bottom