MERGED->please drop Bullet and Elevation!+already bored this tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nicholsfornixon said:

I think I speak for all Americans when I say that

I am not going to copy all your comments because I don't want to give them unwarranted attention, but Good God, please don't think your pathetic comments speak for all Americans. You comments demonstrate the typical American arrogance that other countries abhor us for.
Sorry, I had to address this.

On to topic -
Bullet should stay, it is an important moment in the concert, and very powerful.

And Elevation is really a lot of fun this time around. Its a great version, and really gets the place rockin. Larry was singing the entire song in Phoenix and it was so cute!

I cannot believe threads like this exist, I really cannot. And maybe I'm at fault for replyling...but...

For those of you that have been to the shows this tour...have you seen how many younger kids there are in attendance? IMO, more than at any U2 tour I've ever seen. It's likely because long-time fans like me are now old enough to have children at a concert-attending age.

Also, have you seen how many teenaged/college aged interference users there are? They post a lot, and it's great.

The thing is, these people have never seen U2 in concert before. And guess what? They might really love Bullet. Or Elevation. Or both! Imagine that.

Bottom line is, people like me, who have seen them multiple times per tour, are in a significant minority. People who are going to their first U2 show...or are only going to 1 show this tour...these people represent the majority. They might love U2 just as much as you or I, but due to age, financial constraints, etc, only get to see the band once every 4 years.

I said this in my very first post on interference, and I'll say it again: At Anaheim 1, I took a coworker with me to the show. He'd never seen the band, and was a fan, but not a die-hard like me. He likes the new album, and was familiar with every song played, with 1 or 2 exceptions. Anyway, he had no prior set-list knowledge, so he had no clue what he'd be getting. So, Bullet starts, and he grabs my arm and says "Dude, this is my all-time favorite U2 song! Holy crap!". Do you think he listened to the song and then started to debate in his head if it compared to the JT version, or the LIVE version from the Zoo TV tour? No. He was in heaven for 5 minutes and that moment was worth more to me than the happiness I might get out of them replacing Bullet for one show with Acrobat or something else I'd love to hear. I guess I'm just not selfish enough, that could be it.

And as for Elevation, go to a show and take a look at what goes on during that song....from the rafters to the Bomb Shelter, people love it.

So, please do not drop Bullet or Elevation...they might not be my 2 favorites, but they make thousands happy nightly, and that's the whole fucking point of the tour

Last edited:
No spoken words : nothing to add to your post. You said everything and all is true. For all rest of you; ENJOY in this tour, in this U2 year, and be happy couse we have so creative and powerfull band ever!
Im fan almost 16 years and i really be sad when this tour be finished and when stage light gone to the darkness and when last guitar rif, bassline or drumbit gone forever in to the silence.

Last edited:
blueskyzg said:
No spoken words : nothing to add to your post. u said everything and all is true. For all rest of you; ENJOY in this tour, in this U2 year, and be happy couse we have so creative and powerfull band!

Thanks for agreeing, and that's sound advice you give.

No spoken words said:
I cannot believe threads like this exist, I really cannot. And maybe I'm at fault for replyling...but...

For those of you that have been to the shows this tour...have you seen how many younger kids there are in attendance? IMO, more than at any U2 tour I've ever seen. It's likely because long-time fans like me are now old enough to have children at a concert-attending age.

Also, have you seen how many teenaged/college aged interference users there are? They post a lot, and it's great.

The thing is, these people have never seen U2 in concert before. And guess what? They might really love Bullet. Or Elevation. Or both! Imagine that.

Bottom line is, people like me, who have seen them multiple times per tour, are in a significant minority. People who are going to their first U2 show...or are only going to 1 show this tour...these people represent the majority. They might love U2 just as much as you or I, but due to age, financial constraints, etc, only get to see the band once every 4 years.

I said this in my very first post on interference, and I'll say it again: At Anaheim 1, I took a coworker with me to the show. He'd never seen the band, and was a fan, but not a die-hard like me. He likes the new album, and was familiar with every song played, with 1 or 2 exceptions. Anyway, he had no prior set-list knowledge, so he had no clue what he'd be getting. So, Bullet starts, and he grabs my arm and says "Dude, this is my all-time favorite U2 song! Holy crap!". Do you think he listened to the song and then started to debate in his head if it compared to the JT version, or the LIVE version from the Zoo TV tour? No. He was in heaven for 5 minutes and that moment was worth more to me than the happiness I might get out of them replacing Bullet for one show with Acrobat or something else I'd love to hear. I guess I'm just not selfish enough, that could be it.

And as for Elevation, go to a show and take a look at what goes on during that song....from the rafters to the Bomb Shelter, people love it.

So, please do not drop Bullet or Elevation...they might not be my 2 favorites, but they make thousands happy nightly, and that's the whole fucking point of the tour

um, what he said. exactly. and as another poster noted, Elevation is a blast this time around. the crowd goes friggin' crazy!

No spoken words said:
they make thousands happy nightly, and that's the whole fucking point of the tour

End this thread right here. No Spoken Words just nailed it. :up:

I wouldn't drop either for all the reasons No Spoken Words mentioned.

--Elevation-- It seems to really get the crowd interactive and pumped up. It's supposed to be a fun song and it certainly sounds a lot better than the aged Pride.

--Bullet-- I understand some of the criticsm, but I personally love the new version. It's so moody, and the quiet ending is just amazing IMO. Sure, Elevation and ZooTV versions rocked out hardcore, but I think the Vertigo Tour version is more powerfully emotionally.

sonofabono said:
i wish they would drop pride and bring in lemon!

you're damn right,
Pride must be dropped.....make place for Until the End of the world

Bullet is a real concertsong, and the live version of Elevation this year isn't that bad...

I full support this thread.

Bullet, New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday have been played WAY too many times.

And Elevation is pap.

Kinsa said:

I am not going to copy all your comments because I don't want to give them unwarranted attention, but Good God, please don't think your pathetic comments speak for all Americans. You comments demonstrate the typical American arrogance that other countries abhor us for.
Sorry, I had to address this.

On to topic -
Bullet should stay, it is an important moment in the concert, and very powerful.

And Elevation is really a lot of fun this time around. Its a great version, and really gets the place rockin. Larry was singing the entire song in Phoenix and it was so cute!

Good assessment I think...I haven't heard Bullet on this tour yet, but I'd say it ROCKS. Elevation I'm not so sure about. Probably are better songs that they could put in there in its place. I'd go for Kite as they should probably not play less than they are playing from ATYCLB.

nicholsfornixon said:

I think I speak for all Americans when I say that a) I don't give a flying fuck what other countries think about me or my country and b) you and all your euro-centric, elitist, asshole countries should feel free to pat yourselves on the back while your economies sputter, your cultures collapse under the weight of unchecked immigration, and you realize that the only reason you haven't gotten the shit kicked out of you by any number of invading armies is that the United States has been watching your back since WWII. Meanwhile, we Americans will be keeping the world safe for democracy, getting rich off our efforts, and occasionally taking time off for a cheesburger.

Just get completely off topic.

Have you looked at the US balance of trade and budget deficit lately? Put it this way, you now owe the rest of the world over 75% of the world surplus, and the deficit continues to rise. Obviously this can't last forever.

Basically the rest of the world is paying for your cheeseburger, and when they stop (and China, Japan, the EU and Russia have all started to make noises about the state of the US's liability) the dollar will tank, interest rates and inflation will soar and the consumer equity that the US has been reliant on to maintain growth will disappear.

The only plus side for you is that it will probably take the EU with it...I suggest you learn mandarin.

I agree... Bullet 's Vertigo Tour version is better but there are many songs who would make a better job

elevation and ALL BECAUSE OF YOU could go the same way. pride is decreasing but is still a classic, but I'd not weep if go away...

Zoomerang96 said:
but 'please' is perfectly relevant, and is one of the most chilling songs u2's ever made, no?

Please was incredible in Baltimore in 2001. Absolutely stirring.

nicholsfornixon said:

b) you and all your euro-centric, elitist, asshole countries should feel free to pat yourselves on the back while your economies sputter, your cultures collapse under the weight of unchecked immigration, and you realize that the only reason you haven't gotten the shit kicked out of you by any number of invading armies is that the United States has been watching your back since WWII.
- compare $ to Euro and think again wich economy, European or american "sputters"
- free movement of people... o yeah, in some regime propagandas called "unchecked immigration"... is only making all cultures good... it was always the case in Europe for more than 2000 years... you know the years where -imagine or not- U.S. did not exist... and only during 30 or 40 years of cold-war, because of America, it was impossible... BTW, did you know your country is build on "unchecked immigration"?
- your "american-hero" movies are misleading, you know... "private Ryan" from Pearl Harbor or Normandy, wasn't that important for WW2... privates Jacques (sp?), Ivan, Janek... fighting in Berlin were the true heros...
BTW, did you know that only 42% of americans believe that events in Auschvitz realy happened, while 48% of americans believe in UFO?
So please, don't give us any lectures on WW2, you know nothing about it...
---------------

Drop Elevation.

Last edited:
i am also a bit disappointed with this tour! I am worried--bought 3 tickets, bono talking and talking of getting better,and never better blablabla, but the truth is he cannot hit the high notes to older songs--that is IMO the reason they don't play (or rarely play) AIWIY,WOWY,also RTSS cannot compete with the version in late 80s!!
They should definitely quit playing BTBS, because the rearrangement of the song isn't close as good as the Elevation tour or Pop tour version!!
Yep, guys, improve yourself!!!!!!This tour (by all said so far) should be the best of all, but in reality it's not even close! Though they play songs from last album very solidly.
Please comment further...

tilen said:
i am also a bit disappointed with this tour! I am worried--bought 3 tickets, bono talking and talking of getting better,and never better blablabla, but the truth is he cannot hit the high notes to older songs--that is IMO the reason they don't play (or rarely play) AIWIY,WOWY,also RTSS cannot compete with the version in late 80s!!
They should definitely quit playing BTBS, because the rearrangement of the song isn't close as good as the Elevation tour or Pop tour version!!
Yep, guys, improve yourself!!!!!!This tour (by all said so far) should be the best of all, but in reality it's not even close! Though they play songs from last album very solidly.
Please comment further...
what a stupid comment, bono cant hit the high notes? listen to Bad, Beautiful Day, Sometimes, SBS. and then say he cant hit them, if your worried about anything then dont go, and save yourself the dissapointment how people forget the first leg of popmart and elevation, its always the way that the tour kicks on in the second and third legs

I think anyone who says it blows is totally wrong, should shut the F up about it and start talking about all the songs that they should add to the shows. I've seen Sting do a 3 hour show on his first tour solo, The Stones do a show almost as long and U2 has enough in their rack of tunes that they could play this and many others I see that people want to hear. A friend of mine actually was dissappointed they didn't place Still haven't found what I'm lookin for, which is yet another they could play. How about bitch for a longer show, like 3 hours plus????

My thoughts:

1) Elevation was one of the highlights of Seattle 4/25. If they were doing the same old Elevation-tour version, I'd say drop it, but as it is...leave it alone.

2) Bullet has needed to be dropped from the setlist since 1997. GIVE US A FRIGGIN' BREAK!!!!!!!!

Get rid of Bullet?

I was at the show in Vancouver the other night - Elevation and Bullet the Blue Sky were both fantastic. Even though Elevation is not one of my favorite songs, the crowd participation aspect of it transformed the song into something exciting. I can understand the U2 purist wanting to get rid of Elevation...but Bullet the Blue Sky? Come on, they'll probably be playing that one well into their 80's.

zooropanator said:
I think anyone who says it blows is totally wrong, should shut the F up about it and start talking about all the songs that they should add to the shows. I've seen Sting do a 3 hour show on his first tour solo, The Stones do a show almost as long and U2 has enough in their rack of tunes that they could play this and many others I see that people want to hear. A friend of mine actually was dissappointed they didn't place Still haven't found what I'm lookin for, which is yet another they could play. How about bitch for a longer show, like 3 hours plus????

I agree that U2 should play for 3 hours. I mean, if Keith Richards can still play for 3 hours, Bono and the boys should be able to pull it off to. They're much younger, and in much better physical condition than the Stones (with the possible exception of Jagger). Besides, the ticket prices are pretty steep...

Just parousing the site tonight, jonesing for a setlist party, (which admittedly , I smilingly lurk through), and I came upon this thread. It got me a little fired up.
I walked away from the computer, threw on my "u2-go home" dvd and collected my thoughts. Let me preface my statement with "I don't want to sound like an old phougie". I have been lucky in my life to see many talented musicans/bands.
I have paid my hard earned money to see great live talent since I was just a lad. U2 was one of those bands I felt were worthy of my dollar. I have been lucky to see them many times. Multiple times on many tours since the mid '80's. I

<adding on after inadvertently hitting enter> the point I am trying to make is that I love this band mainly because their new material is always good. They always come correct. They are NOT an awful, constantly touring band that just plays the oldies but goodies. They bring passion and verve with "the new stuff". I have never walked out of a U2 show and said, "they really sould have dropped Kite and played Surrender". I never walked out and thought to myself, "I wish they would stuff BTBS and Elevation up their ass and play "Red Light>Acrobat". This band is U2. They are not the Grateful Dead. They are not Pearl Jam. They come up with a show that highlights their new material and, from what history tells us, plays great songs from the past that the world wants to hear. Just check the setlists from tours past. Please friends, save you piss and vinegar statements and realize the band you are referring to. Go to the show, rock out, dance, be moved, and smile. I certainly will be in Chicago in a few days, no matter what they play.

Back
Top Bottom