if gd will send his angels LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popmart86

Acrobat
i just got a popmart boot and YOU CANT HAVE IT!!!:madspit: :wink: :lol: anyway i just heard igwsha live and i really like it. i think they could do it attached to some other song like CAT/ITH. they did that at popmart attaching 'angels' with staring at the sun. it could work again, just either (a) with a different song or (b) a bono solo of sats. what do you think?

xaviMF22 said:
I'll love for that to happen, but you know U2 doesn't have the balls to do it again.

U2 technically only played If God Would Send His Angels one time as a full band complete version and it was a disaster. Nothing to do with them having balls, the song just didnt really work that well live. They did the Bono/Edge only chorus and verse at the end of UTEOTW for alot of Popmart, and that was OK. But I dont think it was anything that begs to be done again. So in their minds I'm sure they dont even see a reason to attempt playing it at this stage.

if they could arrange so that it didnt sound sucky live then it could be an awesome song

just imagine, after SYCMIOY, the place is totally dark, except for a spotlight on Bono. A backtrack comes in with the cool weird noises at the beginning. At the point where you get those cool bass thumps at the beggining a strobe flickers to the beats thumps. Then the full band breaks into the song. It could be badass.

But badass U2 has left us unfortunately ;)

Chizip said:
if they could arrange so that it didnt sound sucky live then it could be an awesome song

just imagine, after SYCMIOY, the place is totally dark, except for a spotlight on Bono. A backtrack comes in with the cool weird noises at the beginning. At the point where you get those cool bass thumps at the beggining a strobe flickers to the beats thumps. Then the full band breaks into the song. It could be badass.

But badass U2 has left us unfortunately ;)

:shame:

"U2 technically only played If God Would Send His Angels one time as a full band complete version and it was a disaster"

You really think so ?
It was not a disaster, i don't think so. And Do You Feel Loved was not so bad too.

Blue Room said:

U2 technically only played If God Would Send His Angels one time as a full band complete version and it was a disaster.

Please stop being so negative.

U2Man said:

Please stop being so negative.

:laugh: Tell that to Bono then. I'm quoting him about what he felt about the Vegas version, which is the only full band version performed in front of an audience. I'm just explaining why the band would not play the song again and probebly hasnt even given it a second thought at this stage.

Blue Room said:

:laugh: Tell that to Bono then. I'm quoting him about what he felt about the Vegas version, which is the only full band version performed in front of an audience. I'm just explaining why the band would not play the song again and probebly hasnt even given it a second thought at this stage.

:laugh: I have, I phoned him a couple of days ago. He said it's a shame they will never be able to play this song again because some reporter once got him wrong.

Btw. Blue Room, am I hearing a tinge of the "U2 won't play certain POP stuff"-thing from you that you told me off a couple a days ago for saying a little about?

I was at the famous Vegas Popmart concert and 4 songs came out well that night from the Pop album. Do You Feel Loved, If God Will Send His Angels, Miami, and Please. The rest were a train wreck. Of course they all became great live tunes a little later on. I thought IGWSHA was really emotional and solid live. That was the one song I wanted to hear that night live. And I was lucky enough to get the only full band version.

It was cool because Bono and Edge were alone on the B-stage after UTEOTW singing the 1st verse. After the 1st chorus, Adam and Larry came in, who were on the main stage. I don't know why they dropped the full band version. It would have worked out even more so with a few more performances. When they played it nothing was on the screen either. Maybe they could have added some cool graphics.

U2Man said:

Btw. Blue Room, am I hearing a tinge of the "U2 won't play certain POP stuff"-thing from you that you told me off a couple a days ago for saying a little about?

:huh: No joking, I have no clue what you are trying to say there?? :shrug:

OK, When did a tell you off regarding U2 not playing POP songs on Vertigo a few days ago?? Is that what you are saying??? There is no tinge here or negativity. I would love it if they played If God Would Send His Angels on Vertigo. My posts are explaining why it wont happen. Not sure what you are trying to say, but it appears to be somewhat of a stretch to me. :shrug:

So you're saying U2 is incapable of reworking a song to make it sound good live? Sorry, but I have a little more faith in them than that.

xaviMF22 said:
I agree with Chizip, if U2 reworked the song the they could play it live.

But why would they even have an interest in reworking THIS song live? A song they dropped on the tour that was supporting the album it was on. Certainly they could if they wanted, but I guarantee you this song is not even on the radar screen as far as being considered and wasnt even before the tour.

No, I agree with what yor saying Blue Room, but I was just saying that U2 gave up on lot of the songs from POP too easily.

Maybe because they didn't have enough rehearsel time to be able to find a way to make it work live and they would want to give it another shot to do the song justice?

I agree there is no way we will see it again, but I think if done properly it could be an amazing song in concert. It's definitely a song that could have some cool production effects.

Blue Room said:
OK, When did a tell you off regarding U2 not playing POP songs on Vertigo a few days ago??

Now it's me who is confused :confused:, and I'm not joking either....:shrug:

U2girl said:
That's not what I said. Don't put words in my mouth.

That IS what you said. You said (in a sarcastic way) that you didn't want the songs back that tanked on previous tours already. Why wouldn't you want those songs back? Well, I can't think of any other explanation than that you don't think they are able to play them well - and so did Chizip.

You have to tell us why you don't want them back....otherwise we will have to keep guessing....:confused:

U2Man said:

A tinge of U2 wont play certain POP stuff, that I told you off about?? When did I tell you off about them playing POP stuff? I believe when we were talking in the other thread I mentioned the Popmart tour and the reasons its viewed in a negative light and that I disagreed with it being viewed that way. But what does that have to do with them not considering playing If God Would Send His Angels on the Vertigo tour?? :shrug:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
Maybe because they didn't have enough rehearsel time to be able to find a way to make it work live and they would want to give it another shot to do the song justice?

I agree there is no way we will see it again, but I think if done properly it could be an amazing song in concert. It's definitely a song that could have some cool production effects.

If they had felt that way about it they would have continued to work on it in soundcheck during the Popmart tour. Look at Staring At the Sun, they worked on that at every single soundcheck up until they decided to go acoustic with it. After Vegas, they never worked on the full band IGWSHA again. They obviously didnt think it worked that way and had no interest in trying to make it work that way. Not sure why that would change 8 years later and they would suddenly get the urge to work on that song? :shrug:

I would love to see them do it, but there is no way and you indicate that as well. So I'm not sure what your point is?

Blue Room said:

A tinge of U2 wont play certain PIP stuff, that I told you off about?? When did I tell you off about them playing POP stuff? I believe when we were talking in the other thread I mentioned the Popmart tour and the reasons its viewed in a negative light and that I disagreed with it being viewed that way. But what does that have to do with them not considering playing If God Would Send His Angels on the Vertigo tour?? :shrug:

PIP?

It's a POP song - and we talked about how U2 felt today about the POP-period in general...and why they apparently hesitate to dig into that stuff again on this current tour....

U2Man said:

PIP?

It's a POP song - and we talked about how U2 felt today about the POP-period in general...and why they apparently hesitate to dig into that stuff again on this current tour....

Jesus, sorry a had a misspelling on there. You knew what I meant but tried to be cute. Whatever, I had already corrected it before you posted your reply.

So, based on your theory, since they are not playing any POP on this tour, they dont like that period or album?? Interesting.

So they obviously didnt care for the Boy, October, War period on for the first half of the Zoo TV tour. They also must not care for the Zooropa period either as those songs are not being done at all and only Stay was played sporadically on Elevation. Oh, and only one staple from the Unf. Fire album on this tour, they must not like that period that much either.

I dont think your theory works, and I pointed that out in that thread. So I'm not sure why you are saying the same thing again here? Also, if you look back at the thread, the main thing we talked about was the negative image of Popmart with fans that I said the media had a hand in. That was the main point, not the band. But the band does not hate the period as you seem to imply either.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Jesus, sorry a had a misspelling on there. You knew what I meant but tried to be cute. Whatever, I had already corrected it before you posted your reply.

So, based on your theory, since they are not playing any POP on this tour, they dont like that period or album?? Interesting.

So they obviously didnt care for the Boy, October, War period on for the first half of the Zoo TV tour. They also must not care for the Zooropa period either as those songs are not being done at all and only Stay was played sporadically on Elevation. Oh, and only one staple from the Unf. Fire album on this tour, they must not like that period that much either.

I dont think your theory works, and I pointed that out in that thread. So I'm not sure why you are saying the same thing again here?

Actually, I thought you were joking about my confusing remark earlier, and that's true...sorry about that :wink:

I didn't say they didn't care for it or like it in general. I just said that right now, they somehow seem to repress it......:shrug:

And when you said that you don't think they want to play IGWSHA because of their bad experiences with that POP song in the past....well, it just seemed to me to support the point I was trying to make about them repressing the POP period, presently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom