bullet the blue sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
is u2 refusing to stop playing this song because its the only u2 song that contains a looooooong solo by the edge?

i think so too.

it is strange the amount or reviews i have seen that note bullet and pride to be highlights of there shows (this is during the aus leg)

Bullet's not the only song that has a long solo.

That said, Edge probably likes it and it's a part of the "heart of darkness" set. Dallas Schoo has also said his Bullet solo is the best part of his job.

At least unlike some of the other oldies-but-goldies, Bullet gets reinvented each tour.

Last edited:
I agree. I think Edge loves playing it. It was a great song, in its day. But at this point in their careers, I just don't get why it HAS to be played at every show. Don't they have plenty of other songs that Bono can turn into a political message?

So, I think it's part Edge loving the solo and part Bono loving another reason to preach about something.

I just wish that if they're going to play it that they play the entire song instead of doing the 'Johnny/Hands that Built America' snippet. They have done it a few times, but not enough, imho.

I'm talking about the lyrics:

This guy comes up to me
His face red like a rose on a thorn bush
Like all the colors of a royal flush
And he's peeling off those dollar bills
Slapping them down
One hundred, two hundred
And I can see those fighter planes
And I can see those fighter planes
Across the mud huts where the children sleep
Through the alleys of a quiet city street
You take the staircase to the first floor
Turn the key and slowly unlock the door
As a man breathes into a saxophone
And through the walls you hear the city groan
Outside is America
Outside is America

Across the field you see the sky ripped open
See the rain through a gaping wound
Pounding on the women and children
Who run
Into the arms
Of America

It has an anti-NRA, Gun/Violence, unequal treatment of people in 3rd world countries appeal/message to it. It has worked out really well this tour given the war on terror.

UTEOTW and Mysterious Ways also have awesome guitar parts...

I, too, like the original lyrics, but I'm guessing that Bono thinks it's not so appropriate to be howling "OUTSIDE IT'S AMERICAAAAAAA" in places that aren't America. I dunno. :)

We can all identifiy with wanting Johnny to come marching home.

I believe I read somewhere Bullet is Paul McGunniess' favorite U2 song and told the band several years ago to never drop the song from their live shows.

Alisaura said:
I, too, like the original lyrics, but I'm guessing that Bono thinks it's not so appropriate to be howling "OUTSIDE IT'S AMERICAAAAAAA" in places that aren't America. I dunno. :)

Actually, I think that cry works better at concerts not in the USA. It makes more sense, the way I interpret the lyric. After all, the song is about Central America, and outside is the USA, meddling in its affairs.

The best version, though, is from one Melbourne Lovetown gig: "Outside it's America. Not tonight it's not. Outside, IT'S A CARPARK, YEAH!" :lmao:

Axver said:

Actually, I think that cry works better at concerts not in the USA. It makes more sense, the way I interpret the lyric. After all, the song is about Central America, and outside is the USA, meddling in its affairs.

The best version, though, is from one Melbourne Lovetown gig: "Outside it's America. Not tonight it's not. Outside, IT'S A CARPARK, YEAH!" :lmao:

best line ever!!!:drool:

Axver said:

I'm partial to the "Outside its America!! America!! America!!! Where the fuck are you?!!? Zoo-nited nations!!! Zoo-nited nations!!!" duing the Zooropa shows.

Back
Top Bottom