The Edge: His Top 5 Riffs*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/band/edgeguitar-thmb.jpg [/SIMG]
By Roland Schulte

With Edges birthday here, and our collective gift of a new, potentially guitar-heavy U2 record right around the corner, what better time to review some of Edges great guitar moments to date? Edge has given us plenty to choose from, but the following riffs are submitted as the top five in the repertoire. Before we begin, heres one dictionary definition of the subject term to help get us all on the same page:

riff n. A melodic phrase, often constantly repeated, forming an accompaniment or part of an accompaniment for a soloist.

With that, heres Edges Top 5 Riffs, in ascending order:

5. Desire hold on tight riff The opening seconds of Desire hit you like a freight train, and that train whips you around the track until the closing harmonica. Edge seems to be beating up the guitar here, and we love the fight. Whether performed electrically or acoustically, fever is translated through the riff.

4. Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl dark, mysterious riff Edges selection of guitar, rhythm and chords takes us somewhere on the dark streets of a dirty old town. The intent of the three-chord progression is clear: it makes you feel like someone is watching you, and you need to look over your shoulder. Three chords and the truth? More like three chords and mystery with this one. Lets put it back in the live set, right before the concert closer.

3. Until the End of the World prelude to a story riff Theres a reason why UTEOTW remains towards the top of the live set list. Edge kicks off a weighty story with another poetic use of the Les Paul Custom. The live crowd bounces along with the intro riffs, which, in the end, is the whole uplifting point of the song itself.

2. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me all business riff This one makes you want to pick up a guitar right away and see if youre a rock star, too. The riff has drive, power, and influence, so much that the listener might think they are, in fact, Batman. This combination of riff and title is perhaps the best around. Bring on Full Metal Jacket for comparison.

1. Where the Streets Have No Name unmistakable riff In perhaps the worlds greatest use of the delay effect, Edge introduces WTSHNN with unmistakable clarity. This riff moves a U2 audience like no other, and signals one of the high points of the show. As Adam Clayton has said, WTSHNN will probably always be part of the live show, and Edges riff is a big reason why.

edgeguitar.jpg

(Photo: U2.com)

This list is interesting, but moreso the opinion of the author that any type of consumate list.

Sunday Bloody Sunday?
Pride?
Probably Edge's most famous two riffs.

AS a guitar player, I enjoy Bad, In God's Country, I Will Follow, Ultraviolet and many others.

I guess its all subjective and all opinion. Of the 5 on this list, I like the first 3 a lot, the last 2 I'm not sure would crack my top 20.

I like the list, a couple surprises in there. The Edge is the most amazing guitarist, his guitar play sounds like nothing else. I think "The Fly" and "Acrobat" would be on my favorite riff list.

Right now, I'm really into the opening riff from "Twighlight" and the "slow-developing" riff that concludes "Cat Dubh" and begins "Into the Heart". That gets me everytime.

My top 5 edge riffs:

5.I Will follow
4.Sunday bloody Sunday
3.God's Country
2.The Fly
1.Pride

It's pretty hard to make a list and leave out Until the end of The World, One, Desire, Streets!Just to name a few.

Salim

I agree with EVERYONE'S choices here! :yes:

But I'd like to add two more U2 songs that really show Edge's MASTERFUL GUITAR PLAYING - ELEVATION and ISHFWILF.

:wink:

To this day, after listening to the song at least a thousand times. I STILL moved by the Edge's guitar in ISHFWILF and WOWY.

GREAT article and a WONDERFUL way to honor our favorite Rock lead guitarist! :applaud:

WE LOVE YOU, EDGE....:edge: :love: :hug:

in gods country is the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of edges famous signature sound

I would agree with the author wholeheartedly if not for the having of "Trash, Trampoline, & The Party Girl"; if it were replaced with Pride, With Or Without You, or Bullet The Blue Sky, though....

it's really hard to make a small list...
my preferences:

1- The Fly
2- WTSHNName
3- UTOTWorld
4- Ultraviolet
5- SBSunday, Pride, etc. etc.
:rolleyes:

and what about WOWYou and One "ZooTV/Zooropa" live performances?
i really love'em!

I love The Fly and Discotheque, I think they've got killer riffs in 'em. Especially Discotheque, that riff was buzzing round my head for weeks after I first heard it.

Yes, Discotheque (even thought it reminds of The Fly's) is one of my favorites too.

GLORIA, Discotheque, Mysterious Ways, PRIDE, I Will Follow, In God's Country, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Out of Control, and SBS, to name a few...(sorry, I tried to keep it to a minimum, but c'mon it's the Edge!!)

Let's not forget his piano 'riff' on New Year's Day...

Last edited:
I believe that His Majesty The Edge got very crazy on Achtung,
songs before it were good, in fact Very very very great, but Achtung is the best guitar album.
1.One
2.Where the Streets Have no Name
3.Until the End of World
4.The Fly
5.Sunday Bloody Sunday
But i have to agree with Needle_Chill, c'mon it's Edge

1. Discotheque
2. Lemon *that funky sound*
3. The Fly
4. WTSHNN
5. HMTMKMKM

as you can see, i'm more of a PopMart/ZooTV kinda guy