Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A recent string of events has put into question the viability and credibility of the interference administration. Through my tenure as a member of this site, I've seen a sharp decline in its authoritative consistency, with regards to forum policy and member-administrator relations; on many occasions, accountability has been compromised by a lack of understanding on both sides.

However, in light of the current turnover in modship, and the vagueness surrounding the validity of certain high profile posters, it seems the membership has seen its patience tried beyond capacity... frankly, questions are in dire need of addressing. And no, not the generic responses that cry defamation or reproach on my behalf, because in this instance the situation stretches over further canvas than simply one member's distaste.

Is there a resolution? I don't know. It's obviously not the obligation of the administrators to clear these sordid things up, seeing as Interference is a privately-run and operated site. But it would be a grand courtesy to those who spend both their time and their money here, expecting a degree of respect and transparency.

These thoughts are by no means unfounded, but of course they cannot be firmly attested... mostly because details aren't available on any front. This thread is not meant to be opportunistic, but merely a chance for both site managers and members to discuss the current disparities. There's the potential here to resolve a lot of lingering problems, to appease communication, reason, and accountability. It's probably for the best if iniquities are claimed now, before abdication becomes the most suitable course of action... on any level.

Regards,

your own personal ombudsman
(yeah, self-appointment does rule)

The peasants are revolting!!

Now where did that blasted guillotine go? :uhoh:

Believe me, I hate this underlying tension that is happening. We will never be able to make everyone happy about everything, but I hope people will try to be civil and remember our common bond that brought us all here in the first place...

:hug:s to all

bonosloveslave said:
Believe me, I hate this underlying tension that is happening. We will never be able to make everyone happy about everything, but I hope people will try to be civil and remember our common bond that brought us all here in the first place...

:hug:s to all

The political/sociological discussions? :scratch:

indra said:

The political/sociological discussions? :scratch:

No, I know that will never go away in FYM :sigh:

Just stuff that is being played out in public on the board involving mods as well as journal beefs - I hate it when people don't get along :sad:

First of all, I'm not really sure that "revolt" is called for. Let's not kid ourselves. It's not like we're Kurds or Sandinistas here.

That said, I know you have some questions that you believe deserve answers. Speaking only for myself, I do not know how Elvis plans to answer them. But I want to reiterate that only Elvis can answer your concerns, and all we mods can do, really, is stand by and try to make sure no one gets hurt.

If we close threads, it's not because we're trying to censor you--it's because, as I mentioned in EYKIW a few days ago, we may not be sure what else to do and we are trying to prevent a bigger mess.

We value all of you as members of this community, and I know we will all try our hardest(s) to keep people informed and happy. It may seem like we're fighting a losing battle at this point, but do know that the mods are trying to stay on top of things.

The best things for everyone to do at this point are to stay nice to each other, stay friendly, and continue to work for a PEACEFUL resolution to these problems in whatever small ways you can.

paxetaurora said:
First of all, I'm not really sure that "revolt" is called for.

Ummm...the joke usually goes:

Person #1: The peasants are revolting!

Person #2: Yes. You're very revolting!

Gad... I guess I'm going to have to start a Peasant humour 101 thread. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

*realises this is off topic, whistles nonchalantly and sneaks off quietly into the background*

First, Cujo.... starting this thread in the proper place would have been nice.

I'll reply to your original post after this one.

cujo said:
A recent string of events has put into question the viability and credibility of the interference administration. Through my tenure as a member of this site, I've seen a sharp decline in its authoritative consistency, with regards to forum policy and member-administrator relations; on many occasions, accountability has been compromised by a lack of understanding on both sides.

If anything Cujo, member-administration relations and diplomacy has imporved throughout the years. In the last year, I would say the forum has been the most peaceful, and welcoming, hence the growth. Intererence is not a govt of elected officials, nor are it's staff public servants. Many people often voice their concern in this forum, the suggestion forum, as well as privately to myself, and admins/mods, and we try to be accomodating as much as possible. By all means, we want to offer the community wants what the community calls for.

However, in light of the current turnover in modship, and the vagueness surrounding the validity of certain high profile posters, it seems the membership has seen its patience tried beyond capacity... frankly, questions are in dire need of addressing. And no, not the generic responses that cry defamation or reproach on my behalf, because in this instance the situation stretches over further canvas than simply one member's distaste.

The modship has been addressed and is still being sorted in private. I will say however that AH&S had been planning on resigning as mods anyway (for their own reasons) prior to any action taken on my part. Again, the mod/admin team is not an elected or public body, what goes on behind 'closed doors' shall stay that way. We do not discuss why people were banned, why users were warned, how annoying certain users are, etc etc in the general forum as this would do nothing but create drama (a la your intention with this post, it seems). These policies have always been in place, and have become more followed as time has progressed. This is not the US presidential debate, nor Court TV.

As far high profile posters, a 'statement' issued by Interference in the form of a link attached to a certain poster has been in place since day one. People will always question everything, no one will ever be satisfied. In light of that 'katey' has posted more than once explaining the sites position in more detail in the relevant threads. If you want DNA, you're out of luck.

Is there a resolution? I don't know. It's obviously not the obligation of the administrators to clear these sordid things up, seeing as Interference is a privately-run and operated site. But it would be a grand courtesy to those who spend both their time and their money here, expecting a degree of respect and transparency.

If you think resolve is just sitting by the side of the road, and that we are just laughing our heads off waiting for the sun to fly-by overhead.... you're in the wrong place. The staff of this site, both content, and forum, in each of their own respects, has been discussing and monitoring the recent events and reactions and attempting to do what we can, as well as say what we are willing to say, or permitted to say. Again, this is not Court TV. There are certain aspects to the running of this site that remain, and will remain, completely behind closed doors for reasons of privacy, contact information, respect, and things of administrative nature which do not involve the general forum membership. Hence.... transparency.

These thoughts are by no means unfounded, but of course they cannot be firmly attested... mostly because details aren't available on any front. This thread is not meant to be opportunistic, but merely a chance for both site managers and members to discuss the current disparities. There's the potential here to resolve a lot of lingering problems, to appease communication, reason, and accountability. It's probably for the best if iniquities are claimed now, before abdication becomes the most suitable course of action... on any level.

While I entirely respect your concerns, I also notice that yourself, as well as certain others, are always crying fowl, and looking for opportunity in which to stir the pot... and usually in a public matter w/o any prior attempt with site admins/mods. We by no means are hard to reach, our emails posted everywhere as well as this suggestion forum.

On a side note, I will expand and say that there are quite a few 'official' folks as both members, readers, and posters here at Interference.... a good deal of them I know about, and have known about... some I have even helped personally with setting up their accounts, understanding how to use the forum, research, and yes even somethings pertaining to legal matters. For more than obvious reasons I can not tell you whom these people are, what they read, or what their usernames are, or even their intent for being here. From the ones which have communicated with personally with myself or other staff, they seem to enjoy the site, and some even check it daily... some even for their source of U2 news, and some for their own personal PELBA fix... yes you heard me right. In many situations a great deal of the staff is not even aware of who these members are, and again for obvious reasons - they also are entitled to their privacy just like you or I. If you are not satisfied by me saying this, that's unfortunate. I do not feel that these are things I should be required to explain, nor am I even truly comfortable with saying what I just have. I feel like by even alluding to the fact that these folks are around, I have in somewhat walked a very fine line between the fan world and the official world - both I may add that I have had a hand in, in one form or another over the last four plus years. Again, with that comment, there is not much more I'm willing to go into detail about in a public setting... it's not the place, nor should I have to. This is a fan site, fan run, fan operated.

Joel

Please cease with this quitting modship talk. As I stated in the other thread which is now closed, that was an issue over a week ago and was resolved. Resolved and closed.
It is a non issue now in regard to this.

i dont even know what the hell is going on

i assume thats for the best

although now i am curious

I appreciate your response Joel, and in hindsight my post should have been placed here... however, I know at times this suggestion forum is an often overlooked vehicle (and as well, it isn't open to unregistered members... so, slick move you made there).

:sexywink:

Some people are not aware of certain issues and are content to be complacent with management, which of course I cannot find contention with. Although I do respect the autonomy of other's opinions, I still feel that those opinions should be informed. My posts may appear to be of the shit-stirring nature, but that's inherent in any challenging thread. It seems that the only method of posting that brings attention to lingering issues is found in the form of dramatic discourse. This doesn't preclude the fact that there is substance to mine and other's claims...

It's easy to dismiss what I say by marginalizing my position, or by just plain ignoring my posts. But I think a more effective way of dissolving my objections (which I would be the first to admit if that occurred) is to project a level of certainty and consistency. I agree with your point about the site needing to maintain a degree of privacy and member anonymity, but in some cases this can be detrimental to the site. How should this be addressed? I guess that's the question I have for you and everyone else.

Why didn't I send an email, a pm, or other backdoor communication? I think you know the reasons... to bring attention to issues that get so nicely swept under the carpet in personal exchanges. It would be disrespectful to the rest of the membership if I voiced these problems in private... in the past few days you've seen the unfortunate results of such actions. I will remain public with these matters, out of respect for the process and transparency. In this way, only one story is presented, and everyone has the opportunity to interpret it. If anyone disagrees with my thoughts or those of others, it's better to speak here and now, rather than starting another attention thread in the mod forum, or beginning a series of protesting pm's towards the site managers.

Or ignore things altogether... it's awareness that I'm after, ultimately. Then any obligation I have as a member is satisfied.

Cujo,

What exactly is it you're looking for?

And, what would your solutions be to the situations you've mentioned?

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom