Meeting U2 outside the Kamp hotel, Helsinki 21.8.2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcbiggs2002

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I had heard from my friend Jan that U2 had arrived in Helsinki on at aruond 23:30 Thursday night to the Kämp hotel and said that it's quite close to my hotel. But I didn't have time to go find said hotel the next morning coz I had arranged to meet a friend at the railway station and from there we went straight to the stadium to get into the GA line.

Also when I got back from the concert my Mum said that while she had been out shopping, on her way back, she had seen a huge crowd of people gathered around close to our hotel and thought she saw Bono in amongst them!

Jan then sent me another text message, telling me about Bono, Edge and Adam coming out on the Friday afternoon around 13:30 to greet and meet fans, which confirmed what my Mum had seen. So I thought, that seem as I have a seat for the Saturday show, I would go I check it out the next afternoon!

So after the morning of doing a bit of shopping and having lunch, I went off to find the Kämp soon after 13:00 and walked down Kluuvikatu and turned left and walked up the hill to the Church and took photo, and looked around but the hotel wasn't there!

IMG_1540.jpg

So I turned back down the road on turned left again onto the road opposite the road of my hotel and was immediately met by a police woman asking me if I had a pass permitting to go into the hotel, she mistook my u2.com community badge as a official U2 pass-card, I replied honestly "No!?" and she guided me behind a re-enforced plastic wire barrier.

Well, I knew now that I had found the right place, what with the tight security and tons of police and hundreds of people! I found a spot right by the wire about 5 metres down to the right of the hotels front door.

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

It seemed like I'd only been waiting there for about 10 - 15 minutes when I cheer went up and Adam came out of the hotel! Unfortunately he didn't come down to where I was standing but went in the opposite direction up the road, giving autographs. I tried my best to take some pics but I kept on being jostled about and other people getting in my line of sight!

Adam1-1.jpg

Adam2-1.jpg

Adam3-1.jpg

After about 15 minutes he went to get into the waiting the car, he waved to us at the other end of the road and I waved back of course! Then as he got into he's car and drove passed us, Edge appeared!! He waved to the people to left of the hotel doors and greeted some of them then turned around and walked right past me to the other end of the crowd and started greeting people and shaking hands.

Edge8-1.jpg

Edge1-1.jpg

Edge7-1.jpg

At this point I spotted Brian standing in-front of me I said "Hello Brian!" and he replied "hiya" and gave me a sweet smile! Turned my attention back to Edge and tried to take some pics. Same problem again, but as Edge came close I put my hand out and he took it :faint: and as he said hello I said "Hello Edge!" and touched his arm with my other hand "I met you in Copenhagen 2005 and asked you to come to Finland!" and he replied "Well now we're here!" and moved on before I could gather my thoughts and thank him and u2 for fulfilling my plea! Took a few more pics.

Edge5-1.jpg

Edge6-1.jpg

Edge4-1.jpg

Edge3-1.jpg

Edge2-1.jpg

After Edge went off in his car, Brian disappeared into the hotel so I knew that Bono would be coming out soon and my heart started to race! And sure enough we didn't have to wait long before Bono himself strolled out waving and bowing kisses to the crowd, what a character!

Bono1-1.jpg

He immidiately started to come down the line of people towards me, again I tried taking some pics but had the same problem of people getting in my line of sight and jostling me about, so I gave up!

Bono2-1.jpg

I put my hand out as Bono came close and he took my hand :drool: :faint: :combust: and as he said hello I said "Thank you for coming to Finland!" and he looked directly at me and he gave me the sweetest broadest smile and with a tinkle of his very blue eyes replied "Oh it's not over yet!" :faint:
died_and_gone_to_heaven.gif
!

Ah the image of his countenance will remain in my memory forever!! :drool: I managed to take a couple of reasonably good pics.

Bono3-1.jpg

Bono4-1.jpg

Nice pic of Brian there! :love:

Bono5-1.jpg

I've no idea who Bono's blowing kisses to, but I'm so glad I got that shot! He then jumped onto his waiting car, gave us one last wave and was off! :wave:

And as a final memory I of my encounter, my friend who turned up 15 minutes after U2 had gone, took a pic of me in front of the Kamp, finally got a half decent new profile pic!

Meoutsidethekmp.jpg

Nice pics! I was there too, right by the wire in front of the doors. Got to shake hands with Edge and Bono.

Kiva nähdä muitakin suomalaisia!

Thanks everyone, yes it was a surreal experience, gettting to meet Bono and Edge again, which I keep reliving everytime I think about it, or look at the pics I took! :loveshower: Infact, I've been so out of it, that I can't even spell my name right, didn't anyone notice that I forgot the S at the end of Biggs of the above pics watermark! :lol:

And hi there Wiracocha, welcome to interference! :wave: I've uploaded all my best pics I took from both Helsinki shows unto the Gallery:-

August 20, 2010 - Olympic Stadium - Helsinki, Finland - Interference.com Photo Gallery (U2 Photos, U2 Concert Photos, Member Photos)

August 21, 2010 - Olympic Stadium - Helsinki, Finland - Interference.com Photo Gallery (U2 Photos, U2 Concert Photos, Member Photos)

Also I'm looking for anyone who was also there at the same time as me and who may have taken a photo of me with either Edge or Bono! :hmm:

Thanks! I've read these boards for a while but only recently got the courage to register.

Photos might be a bit hard to find because there were no people opposite the spot where you were, but have you checked YouTube for videos? I was quite surprised to find myself in a few of them, maybe you will too.

@hcbiggs- thanks for the pics :)
I was at the hotel on Saturday and Sunday; I already checked my pics, but didn't see you on any of them (stood nowhere near you). But I saw myself on a youtube video with Adam and Bono shot on Sunday :reject:
PS- do you know what Adam said after the first show? I didn't get it...

Beautiful pics Helen!! :)
Only 3 more weeks .. :wink:

so the first day they came out around 1.30 pm and the second (when you met them) it was later or not?
I'd like to know just in case we decide to go check out their hotel (if we figure out which one it is).
I think the first day, they might fly in just in time for the soundcheck, but the second day, maybe we'd get a chance of seeing them.

Only, a second show, usually means, some changes in the set, so I guess they'd have to rehearse those..which prolly means they leave early for the stadium..

:love: Awesome picture!!! So lucky you got just the right moment! :applaud:

Wow what an incredible day that was.... Seems like we were not standing that faraway from eachother, I was maybe 5-10 meters away from you.

Lovely pictures anyway! :up:

Oh yeahh, hcBiggs, your story sounds very great. I`ve never forget the days in Helsinki and right to your story, I`ve met them twice at the Kämp Hotel on Saturday and Sunday. For the first met, Adam hadn`t arrive me for signing an autograph, but Bono came (his security told us, "only Hello and Shakehands, no signs"), but I`ve prepared a picture and a pen for signing and in this case, I said to Bono, this prepared picture should be a present for him and he was laughing and told me,that he can`t took the pic because his bad hairshape (the picture was shooted last year). After his replying he did go still laughing.
This was okay, no sign but handshake and smalltalk, everything was fine there.
In this case with Edge too :sexywink:.
On Saturday, I`ve got a sign from Adam and I can remember for that very polite bye bye from Bono in front of the audience.

[URL=http://img828.imageshack.us/i/0621082010.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back
Top Bottom