Girls play rock and roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trinity3000

Acrobat
Just making this thread so gravityluckandtime can tell us her story

gravityluckandtime said:

you know, i never did post anything about it anywhere. our bassist really wanted to make it happen, and made a sign that said "the girls play rock n roll". we got up there, bono saying, "you'd better not be shitting me," about whether we could actually play. after seeing me fingering bono's 'the goal is soul' gretsch, edge offered me the explorer. i'm really not sure why, all i know is that dallas later told me what edge said to him was, "that girl can play." which, y'know, is pretty mindblowing. undoubtedly one of the most amazing experiences i will ever have.

there's video on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_g15T-OlGU

not to devolve this great thread into something all about me, though. heh. here's a pic: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/colourscrash/exit/?action=view&current=four.jpg - have at it, corianderstem!

2366882597_378cbe1ca4_o.jpg

I was there that nite.. Actually I was a few people to the girls' left outside the ellipse on the rail. What a awesome experience for you all and us too in the audience! You rocked! :rockon: :D

Here are the only 3 pics I got of ya (sorry not the greatest quality)

Exit1OOC11012005.jpg

ExitandBonoOOC11012005.jpg

ExitOOC11012005.jpg

:up: Nice to see Edge play along on the guitar, of course Bono has to sing - but where did Larry and Adam dissapear ?

i heard about this. freakin awesome!
this is a dream of mine. i would die if edge offered me his explorer......

i can dream :D

hey everyone! i see i'm late to the party.

adam disappeared down under the stage i think, but larry hung back just behind pam, our drummer, almost watching over her. you can see him in the crazy super large version of that pic, here: http://pics.livejournal.com/stateless/pic/0009w6t7

thanks for the pics, U2fanatic! we don't have many from so close up.

it's hard for me to talk about this cos i'm never sure where i might cross the line into sounded spoilt! i know i'm so, so lucky to have had such an experience. playing the explorer was the ultimate act of trust from edge, i think. honestly, it's the most perfect instrument i've ever played. i was so struck by the way it's weighted. it feels magical, somehow. like it literally carries U2's history in its body.

the lads were so kind to us, and it was surreal to have them hand the stage over to four fans - you can see bono and edge sitting on the riser, as if to say, 'go on, then. show us.' it wasn't even half way though the first verse before they hopped up to join us.

i'd actually been on stage in the staples centre (here in LA) before, but the lights this time were so bright we literally could not see anything. the stage is larger than we're used to (ha!), we were all so far from each other, and the sound was bouncing in strange ways because their main monitors are in-ear. it felt like being in a fishbowl or something. and it was so loud! the energy from the crowd was just amazing. how does one describe such things? bono asked me if i wanted to play the solo and yes i said yes he informed edge i would be doing so. hee! when my brain started working a little bit again and i remembered two of my friends were in the front row right in front of me, i stepped forward. once at the front of the stage i could see a bit of the crowd and the sight of my best friend's bug-eyes staring up at me is something i will never forget. :)

Last edited:
Again, pretty friggin amazing. And, no you don't sound spoiled! I'm glad. I'd have to hate you if you were all "Yeah, it was cool, whatever." :lol:

And I can only imagine Larry hovering over his kit!

:applaud: Great story!! And no you don't sound spoilt!! You totally proved yourselves up on stage and I think you were AWESOME!!! I loved seeing the guys join in with you, to me that was the total seal of their approval :up:

I noticed that bit where Bono asks if you want to play the solo. I wondered if that was what was happening.

Thanks for your description, I'd imagine you would all feel miles away from each other, but I didn't think about how it would sound for you.

How old were you guys?

Trinity3000 said:
I noticed that bit where Bono asks if you want to play the solo. I wondered if that was what was happening.

Thanks for your description, I'd imagine you would all feel miles away from each other, but I didn't think about how it would sound for you.

How old were you guys?

yeah, it was quite echoey! it was a bit tricky, actually, having to concentrate on making sure we could hear each other while also making sure to enjoy and be in the moment, y'know? there was a point at the end of the bridge where bono jumped the gun with the cue back into the chorus where it very nearly could've fallen apart!

i'm the youngest, i'd just turned 24. so two of us were 24, the other two 26 and 27, i think.

What an amazing story. I remember hearing about this and seeing the video on Youtube a long time ago and thinking "Way to Go." You all did an awesome job. You looked so natural up there. Is Exit still together?

when you were on stage before with them what song did you play?

btw out of control is so much fun to play on guitar :)

U2FloridaFan said:
What an amazing story. I remember hearing about this and seeing the video on Youtube a long time ago and thinking "Way to Go." You all did an awesome job. You looked so natural up there. Is Exit still together?

thanks!!

we are still together, yep. our singer quit in january, but the three of us are still going strong. for the minute we're playing instrumentals and i'm singing a few tunes. we'll continue in this vein unless we meet someone who undeniably belongs in our band. it's frustrating losing singers every few years, to say the least.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
when you were on stage before with them what song did you play?

btw out of control is so much fun to play on guitar :)

i asked to do 'stay' and bono was like, 'something more upbeat!' i think that's code for, 'you're nuts, i don't know those lyrics.' ;) he put me on the spot though, and i could think of nothing other than 'people get ready'. which was a good choice, actually, cos it meant adam and larry kicked in halfway through. what an amazing feeling that was.

it IS so much fun!

gravityluckandtime said:

and i could think of nothing other than 'people get ready'. which was a good choice, actually, cos it meant adam and larry kicked in halfway through. what an amazing feeling that was.

it IS so much fun!

Is there a video of that somewhere??

gravityluckandtime said:

i asked to do 'stay' and bono was like, 'something more upbeat!' i think that's code for, 'you're nuts, i don't know those lyrics.' ;) he put me on the spot though, and i could think of nothing other than 'people get ready'. which was a good choice, actually, cos it meant adam and larry kicked in halfway through. what an amazing feeling that was.

it IS so much fun!

lol of course. i thought they only took up guitarists to play people get ready thats why i asked because I'm hoping that'll be me next tour!
how long have you been playing for?

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

lol of course. i thought they only took up guitarists to play people get ready thats why i asked because I'm hoping that'll be me next tour!
how long have you been playing for?

a few lucky people have been able to do things like 'a sort of homecoming' (which was great), 'party girl', 'knockin on heaven's door' and i think 'in god's country'. but it's always kind of a risk to go for something like that.

i've been playing now for over thirteen years - since i was thirteen.

i do hope you get to play with them!

gravityluckandtime said:

a few lucky people have been able to do things like 'a sort of homecoming' (which was great), 'party girl', 'knockin on heaven's door' and i think 'in god's country'. but it's always kind of a risk to go for something like that.

i've been playing now for over thirteen years - since i was thirteen.

i do hope you get to play with them!

oohh okay. id love to play anything w/them lol
i know the people get ready chords and a solo to it so im set!
thats awesome! ive been playing since i was 13 too. except im only 17 now so not very long.
thanks!
any advice?

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

oohh okay. id love to play anything w/them lol
i know the people get ready chords and a solo to it so im set!
thats awesome! ive been playing since i was 13 too. except im only 17 now so not very long.
thanks!
any advice?

advice? with the guitar? own it, don't let it own you.

U2FloridaFan said:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that video. How lucky to play twice with them...amazing. You look so comfortable up there with them. They're just awesome guys.

Did Larry have any words for your drummer??

i am quite lucky, yeah!

i don't think larry said anything to her. i know she shook his hand and thanked him. it was so great of him to turn over his kit.

gravityluckandtime said:

i don't think larry said anything to her. i know she shook his hand and thanked him. it was so great of him to turn over his kit.

Yeah, he was probably like..."What the f*** is Bono up to now...giving up my drum kit to a girl we don't even know can play...I'll have a few choice words for him after the show." lol She definitely is a LUCKY girl.

U2FloridaFan said:

Yeah, he was probably like..."What the f*** is Bono up to now...giving up my drum kit to a girl we don't even know can play...I'll have a few choice words for him after the show." lol She definitely is a LUCKY girl.

hahaha! no man, he was totally on it. he went for it. good sport. :)

gravityluckandtime said:

advice? with the guitar? own it, don't let it own you.

yeah advice for being up on stage, the sound was probably all weird idk i think i would be more nervous because of how different it is to perform in an atomsphere like that rather than actually playing with the band

oh, on stage. yeah, the sound is quite echoey. can very easily throw you. if it happens for you, just relax and be in the moment!

Back
Top Bottom