Bono & Edge in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anjarw

Acrobat
it's me again, 4 years after I posted about meeting bono in london, I got lucky again, but this time we met them several times.

just a warning, it got a bit long, I'm sorry about that!

ok, I'm gonna start at the beginning.

thursday:

bono and edge arrive at around 5, but they have all their kids with them, so he just walks past us and into the hotel. quite a few more people show up now, obviously almost all of them either paparazzi or ebayers. we're at about 50 people now when 2 silver vans drive past the hotel entrance, I can see Edge and Bono in them, they took the side entrance to leave again..thank god for that, because it would probably have been chaos. we keep waiting..now it's around midnight, there's 9 of us now. 3 swiss girls, my friend martin and me, one lovely couple from spain, and two americans who were actually staying in the hotel. around 1.30 edge arrives, he wants to walk past us, but martin asks him to sign his poster. he comes right back, signs everyones stuff, I get a photo with him, morleigh smiles at me :).

around 2-3 a.m. edge's security guy tells us bono will be arriving now, and we should make a line. we do as told, he tells us as we're so few people he'll probably also take photos, I'm VERY nervous now.

the silver van drives up, the door opens, it's full with people, I see Ali, but then all I see is Bono. he looks quite happy, joking with the others in the car, then he turns his head to look at us and has a very suprise look on his face and he just says "wow" again and again :ohmy: Feel like saying wow as well at that point. He goes down the line, and looks everyone in the eyes and shakes everyones hands. He arrives at our end, and tells martin it's good to see him again. I ask him if he'd sign some things.."of course!" like why did I even ask. he signs martin's poster first, "I think I look a bit cross here" and draws a cowboy hat on his head. then he signs my photos and asks me "where was this taken?" I say "gelsenkirchen", he looks into my eyes, smiles wide and says "that was great!" all I can do is smile and nod. Someone asks if we could take photos, he says "ok, everyone get in" and brings us all in for group shots, one of the american ladies is taking photos. I'm thinking..group shots are nice but I did want a solo photo with him, so I just ask him again, he says "of course!" again and puts his arm around me. after a few more photos with others he just stands there for a while, I notice everyone else has gone in by now and just Brian is pointing with his head towards the door of the hotel.

I'm closest to him at that point and just tell him "have a good night" he looks at me and says "see ya tomorrow" :sexywink: then turns around and goes into the hotel. oh he expected us to be there at the concert :D

we wait another while, exchange email adresses and just generally try to come down from heaven. At this point I feel like screaming and jumping around but right behind us is Eve with a friend of hers, talking to Edge's security guy, so I try to calm down and leave the screaming for another time.

by the time we get back to my hotel at Wembley it's almost 4. we go to sleep for 2 hours, then join the queue, no. 130 and 131..not bad. I feel unbelievably tired all day, but I'm still on a high from meeting them, so it doesn't even bother me much. queuing is nice and not very stressful, the FOS walk is alright as well, we end up at the front barrier between edge and bono. once the support bands are done, martin helps me put up my sign. "Bono, Edge need a big kiss!" it says. I ask Phil if he can read it when he shows up on stage. he gives me the thumbs up. Show starts, during Breathe I see Bono reading my sign and he grins madly :D Can't tell if Edge saw it, but he's right in front of me so I figure he has. right after No Line, Bono points at the two of us, smiles and says something..yeah something, because he didn't say it in his mike and we couldn't hear a thing. I still haven't learned how to lipread so we have no idea what he said, he seemed happy to see us though. concert is brilliant although we actually see Edge play air-guitar during With or without you. he looked at his guitar for a long while, then looked at us like "oh well, what are you gonna do?" and kept playing air guitar, not sure what the hell happened there. also, at one point edge handed dallas one of the guitars and he got an electrical shock, looked like it hurt too. :ohmy: definitely a lot of stuff going wrong this night. I ask the head of U2 security for a setlist, he hands me one right away, yay!

saturday:

we sleep in, couldn't have functioned anymore without some much needed sleep. we're gonna watch this one from the back, I've been to quite a few shows now and have never seen the screen. think about going to the hotel again for a while, but decide not to, because it will be probably be pure mayhem there. (turns out we were right, 200+ people screaming, pushing, bono signed maybe 20 things, Edge went out the sideway) walk around london for a while, then get to the stadium at around 7, start to feel a little guilty because we didn't queue up..I feel like we weren't dedicated enough fans that day, but that changed pretty quickly when I saw the amazing visuals. The mood was much better than the night before, even at the back. Setlist change, Stay..yeah for Berlin! bono sings "3 o'clock in the morning, it's quiet, just some people around" oh my god!!!!! :hyper: we freak out at this point! a few more new songs, my hope for Bad is pretty much gone by now..then I hear the first few notes and just start crying like a baby. fortunately martin is right next to me so I hold onto him while I'm having my breakdown. these are happy tears though..well sad tears as well because this is my last concert this year.

Sunday:
arrive at the hotel at around 2, 3 of the girls we were queueing with friday are there, nobody else around though. we see the silver van ready to leave though. I walk over, say hello to brian, he says good to see you and tells us they're leaving soon but his kids are with him so no photos and signatures. figure we'll just say hi then. 30 minutes later, Ali phones up the driver, they'll be leaving through the side entrance instead..we're thinking, stupid wankers on saturday scared them off of ever using the normal entrance again :angry: anyway, we leave a little after they have left, and come back at around 8. brian walks up again and says sorry guys, but they'll probably be in for the night. is it allright if we still wait for a while? sure no problem. so we hang out on the other side of the street, nobody else but us around. at some point, ali and the boys walk up, no clue where they have come from, but Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol is with them, holding onto Eli's shoulder as they walk through the doors. Ali looks over to us and I smile at her. Now we're thinking about putting the rumour out there that Ali is having a hot affair with Gary :hmm: but figure he's probably just the new nanny on tour :lol: they were in for that night, so we leave not much later.

monday:
we get there at around 10, nobody there again. around 11 Brian comes over again and says he's with the kids so you know the deal. I just hope he won't take the side entrance again. but he didn't this time. Eli and John jump into the car with Edge's youngest daughter, very cute playing with a stuffed animal and just having fun. 10 minutes later (yeah he even lets his kids wait lol) Ali comes out, gets into the car and right behind her is Bono. he comes right up to us, not even looking at the car and says "lovely to see you again" shakes our hands and signs our tickets. then asks "so did you go to both shows then?" we say yes. "which one was the better one?" "well the 2nd has to be the better one" "yeah, that was something wasn't it?" "had some technical problems there the first one huh?" "yeah" "was dallas in the naughty corner that night?" *laughs* "ohh yeah" I say: "you guys should play Bad more often" martin mentions me crying during the whole song, bono just looks at me and hugs me :cute: I'm in heaven again, but still ask "do you think we could have a photo?" "Sure" We move a bit to make sure the kids aren't on the photos. He looks up towards the sky as if to check what the weather is like, smiles because the sun is shining bright and then says goodbye and jumps in the car.

Edge comes out a few hours after that, but just signed a few things because his older daughters were with him and they were in a bit of a hurry.

Bono's car with Brian in it came back at around 4, but I had to leave at that point to get my flight back home.

here's the photo of Bono, Martin and Me yesterday morning

bonolondon.jpg

he looks a little tired, it was 11.30 am, but he looked like he'd just fallen out of bed 30 minutes before.

i'm still waiting to get the other photos from thursday night from the swiss girls and the americans, i'll post them as soon as I get them.

Awesome story. It is the greatest feeling meeting them multiple times in the same week. I know that first hand

of course, he smelled great ;)

adam and larry were staying at a different hotel the night of friday to saturday and then flew to dublin right after the 2nd show. afaik, they didn't even go to their own after-show-party.

Bloody Hell Anja! I must have been going round here with my eyes closed! Only just spotted this! :doh:

Fab story :love:

Just sent you an email :sexywink:

Wow Anja, great story. You are SO lucky!! I imagine Larry and Adam wanted some peace and quiet and knew they would only get it if they stayed at a hotel that Bono wasn't at. Can't wait to see the other photos.

What a wonderful 1st leg. So glad they're coming to NA next...and probably more meetings and sightings. Hopefully this forum will be busy with more wonderful stories!!

Wonder what was up with the air guitar....hmmmm. Too bad you didn't think to ask him about that.

Hi Anja,

what a good story about your met of a half of U2 :sexywink: in London.
I`ve met Bono for an autograph and Edge just for a Hello and a very short view on the 14th of August in front of their hotel.

That was everything, but it was very easy and the crowd was very relaxed, good for Bono and the spectators, lol.

bye

You must have been in a better spot than me Eastfly. We were pushed and shoved and one guy (whose face I can see on this photo!) pushed me in the side of the head very aggressively and I had a bad headache all day. A complaint was made to the Security who didn't let him get away with anything the next day and helped us get some photos and signatures. He wasn't even a fan, hadn't been to any shows and was obviously an Ebayer. Not a nice experience at all.

lol doesn't look very relaxed to me. also I don't even see a fan on that photo, all those guys are ebayers. I'm really glad we decided not to go friday and saturday.

thanks for the photo though, I'm sure steve the doorman will be happy to be on another photo with bono :lol:

@ anjarw

I think, this was very relaxed, if the guys in the opposite were ebayers, I don`t know. But my friends and myself, we hadn`t problems to get our autographs or pictures. A french couple in front of me have tried to take a picture from theirself and Bono with their iPhone. The phoneoperator had some problems with this item and during the session was Bono really relaxed. I was very satisfied with Bono`s longtime standing in front of me, I can remember to the Italian crowd in front of the Milan Band Hotel, this happening was not relaxed, more like fighting :down:.
watch it:

yeah I guess it depends on what you expect. I don't like having crowds who push or start screaming "BONO!" at the top of their lungs. actually makes me feel kind of embarrased. it's a lot different if you have the guys more or less to yourself or with maybe 5 or 6 other people there. I also get easily upset when ebayers try to push their way forward.

edited to add:

woah alright, didn't see the photo there. you're right compared to that crowd it's definitely better. but I was told on Saturday there were actually around 200 people there..

oh and I got a few photos from thursday night, not sure if I can post all of them because there are other people on them :hmm:

but here are a few I got from my friend manolo

54521404810284526489384.jpg

54521404810384526489384.jpg

54521405005184526489384.jpg

54521405005234526489384.jpg

54521405005334526489384.jpg

one guy (whose face I can see on this photo!) pushed me in the side of the head very aggressively and I had a bad headache all day.
That's horrible! :( One of the guys on that photo was waiting outside at the Radio 1 gig too, god knows how I recognise him, but I do lol. :hmm:

If I met them, I'd just wanna say hello and thank them for their music. Couldn't really care less about getting anything signed - it's so rude when people push and shove for a signature. If everyone just calmed down, surely it'd go much more quickly and efficiently? lol

Wow. What a great story. Thanks for sharing and for the pictures. I couldn't follow what you meant about ebayers at first, but as I went through the thread I now understand.

During their shows it is obvious they care about their fans. So nice to hear of your personal experiences.

yeah I guess it depends on what you expect. I don't like having crowds who push or start screaming "BONO!" at the top of their lungs. actually makes me feel kind of embarrased. it's a lot different if you have the guys more or less to yourself or with maybe 5 or 6 other people there. I also get easily upset when ebayers try to push their way forward.

edited to add:

woah alright, didn't see the photo there. you're right compared to that crowd it's definitely better. but I was told on Saturday there were actually around 200 people there..

oh and I got a few photos from thursday night, not sure if I can post all of them because there are other people on them :hmm:

but here are a few I got from my friend manolo

54521404810284526489384.jpg

54521404810384526489384.jpg

54521405005184526489384.jpg

54521405005234526489384.jpg

54521405005334526489384.jpg

:lol: hehe Is it just me (or the camera flash) but does it look to anyone else like Bono shaved half of his mustache off? Third pic down..Methinks drinking prank hehe. Or at least thats a funnier explanation than a camera flash gone wrong. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom