(12-15-2005) The Rock Star's Burden - The New York Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
The Rock Star's Burden

By PAUL THEROUX
Hale'iwa, Hawaii

THERE are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment. If Christmas, season of sob stories, has turned me into Scrooge, I recognize the Dickensian counterpart of Paul Hewson - who calls himself "Bono" - as Mrs. Jellyby in "Bleak House." Harping incessantly on her adopted village of Borrioboola-Gha "on the left bank of the River Niger," Mrs. Jellyby tries to save the Africans by financing them in coffee growing and encouraging schemes "to turn pianoforte legs and establish an export trade," all the while badgering people for money.

It seems to have been Africa's fate to become a theater of empty talk and public gestures. But the impression that Africa is fatally troubled and can be saved only by outside help - not to mention celebrities and charity concerts - is a destructive and misleading conceit. Those of us who committed ourselves to being Peace Corps teachers in rural Malawi more than 40 years ago are dismayed by what we see on our return visits and by all the news that has been reported recently from that unlucky, drought-stricken country. But we are more appalled by most of the proposed solutions.

I am not speaking of humanitarian aid, disaster relief, AIDS education or affordable drugs. Nor am I speaking of small-scale, closely watched efforts like the Malawi Children's Village. I am speaking of the "more money" platform: the notion that what Africa needs is more prestige projects, volunteer labor and debt relief. We should know better by now. I would not send private money to a charity, or foreign aid to a government, unless every dollar was accounted for - and this never happens. Dumping more money in the same old way is not only wasteful, but stupid and harmful; it is also ignoring some obvious points.

If Malawi is worse educated, more plagued by illness and bad services, poorer than it was when I lived and worked there in the early 60's, it is not for lack of outside help or donor money. Malawi has been the beneficiary of many thousands of foreign teachers, doctors and nurses, and large amounts of financial aid, and yet it has declined from a country with promise to a failed state.

To read the full article, go here.

Thanks Robert!

Mr. Theroux has seriosly NOT done his homework for this piece. He clearly has no idea what Bono has been saying and doing.
Example: "He expounded upon the "more money" platform and how African countries are uniquely futile." Really? When has he ever said anything like that?
I'll be charitable and say that Theroux was using his heart instead of his head to write that article, but in either case he's just plain wrong.

biff said:
Mr. Theroux has seriosly NOT done his homework for this piece. He clearly has no idea what Bono has been saying and doing.
Example: "He expounded upon the "more money" platform and how African countries are uniquely futile." Really? When has he ever said anything like that?
I'll be charitable and say that Theroux was using his heart instead of his head to write that article, but in either case he's just plain wrong.

This is the same problem I have with this type of article. If you want to criticize Bono for the specific ideas he's putting forward, that's one thing. But when you simply assume that he's making the same arguments that have been made in the past and deliberately ignore the fact that Bono has said many times that it's not about throwing more money at Africa, and that debt relief and increased aid (except for emergency relief, obviously) should only be given to countries whose leaders are willing to provide complete transparency as to where the money is going. I just wish people would really do their research before criticizing Bono for his work on Africa. If they have done so and still have criticisms, so be it. But at least give the man a fair representation of what he's actually trying to do.

Well the thing is, Theroux spent alot of time on the ground in Africa to arrive at his conclusion that aid doesn't work. You can't easily dismiss what he's saying. You have to read 'Dark Star Safari' to understand where he's coming from - he was a teacher in the 1950s and 60s in Africa, and saw the potential those people and those nations had upon their independence. Then he returned 40 years later, and saw aid organizations driving around in Land Rovers treating people with contempt, and governments that looted the coffers freely. Not to mention the horrible government-sponsored land reclamations in places like Zimbabwe...

The flaw in his attack on Bono is, he (Bono) is not advocating more money to corrupt regimes, questionable aid organizations - he wants free trade, debt relief WITH accountability, nations to stand on their own 2 feet.

I don't think he knows just how much Bono knows about the situation. He's just taking a swipe at him like so many people do...my opinion is, he is a bitter guy who once long ago had an open mind on these matters.

As a longtime (25 years) activist for Africa, I find a real core of truth in this man's opinions.

While I fervently support One and everyone here knows of my respect for what Bono and Geldof have done to raise the world's consciousness about Africa's current problems, it is still not enough to get sufficient money in aid to Africa, it has not yet produced the debt relief the G8 promised this summer and the issue of fair trade is still a big disagreement at the WTO talks going on in Hong Kong.:huh:

Simply put, ONE and MPH have got to rely less on celebrities and more on an effective grassroots movement of TRUE activists in each of the fifty states.

This has yet to happen much to my chagrin and befuddlement.

Africa does need less celebrities and more people like you and me to pick up this struggle against extreme poverty. :wink:

Salma Hayek can't do it; Pat Robertson certainly can't do it; even Jaime Foxx can't do it.

WE, the common citizens of the world, are the ones that politicians will ultimately listen to. :yes:

I hope Mr Theroux finds a message on his cell from Bono soon...as in, "Let's do lunch sometime.":wink: Bono I am sure usuaklly doesn't care what people think of him (as we know), but when the NY Times disses you, it has to hurt. And I'm sure he knows a bit aobut Mr Theroux. Knowing what he knows, I'm sure he would want to correct some things. I am really ticked off that after 6 years of advocacy and very PUBLIC running bouts around the bowels of Washington, Mr Theroux should know better than to lump Bono in with other celebrities. No doubt he imagines he bought that Amnesty Award.

The problem with Africa, IMO, can be summed up in a nutshell: the world just doesn't give a damn aobut the place. And if they do, they just shrug and say "what can you do? It's chicken and egg at this point and the situation is hopeless." 10 yrs ago you could poerhaps make that excuse, but no more. The Powers That Be have never treated Africa as a "adult", if nations were people. It has been treated like tireosme, whining child. And if nations are like communities, than the continent of Africa is a international version of the inner city ghetto. After independance, White Flight practiced on a colassal scale. Inner city ghettos have crack houses; Africa has corrupt dictatorships.

10 yra ago you could shrug tour shoulders and look away. But not now. If India could get to where it is now, than sub-Shaharan Africa can.

He's also missed a key factor in the regeneration of Ireland, namely the billions of punts (as it was then, or Euros as it now is), that was pumped into Ireland by the EEC (as it was, EU as it is now).

The Irish didn't simply help themselves out of the misery, they had a boatload of free-flowing cash from richer countries in Europe (not least from the UK coffers), which gave them a way out.

Of course, congratulations are due to the Irish who used that money wisely, but would the turnaround have occurred without it?

Just in case it sounds like I begrudge the money given to Ireland, I should make it clear that I don't, it's what the EEC/EU was all about and Ireland now gives back as a result of the cash, so it was a sound investment.

theroux's book is brought up in michka assayas' book "bono in conversation", and bono addresses these issues.

i don't have the bono/assayas book handy, but i am certain theroux is mentioned in it, and bono definitely had a response in the book.

Jamila said:
As a longtime (25 years) activist for Africa, I find a real core of truth in this man's opinions.

Really, do you actually? I find it quite amazing that you would say this. (And by the way, thanks for reminding us of how long you've been "an activist for Africa". I don't think I ever heard this before.)
I don't believe Theroux was saying that the problem is that we "have got to rely less on celebrities and more on an effective grassroots movement of TRUE activists in each of the fifty states". In fact, he didn't say anything like that. He was making the same old familiar points against "throwing money down a rathole", and making sure that the recipients are accountable, and arguing strongly (and correctly) that Africans are the wisest arbiters of what is best for them and their future.
Clearly, Theroux's heart bleeds for Africa, or particulary Malawi, and rightly so. But he evidently has no clue about what DATA represents, and what the double acronyms mean, and he maligns Bono to no good purpose and with an obvious lack of research.
It's a sloppy piece of opinion writing, and I will not be surprised if the Times gets a barrage of rejoinders in the next few days.

I hear two men who care deeply for Africa, who have been teachers there, who want health for its people, healing for its land and responsibility from its governments. Both have put their "money" where their mouths are. Thank you Mr. Theroux and Mr. Hewson.

Jamila said:

While I fervently support One and everyone here knows of my respect for what Bono and Geldof have done to raise the world's consciousness about Africa's current problems, it is still not enough to get sufficient money in aid to Africa, it has not yet produced the debt relief the G8 promised this summer and the issue of fair trade is still a big disagreement at the WTO talks going on in Hong Kong.:huh:

Simply put, ONE and MPH have got to rely less on celebrities and more on an effective grassroots movement of TRUE activists in each of the fifty states.

This has yet to happen much to my chagrin and befuddlement.

Africa does need less celebrities and more people like you and me to pick up this struggle against extreme poverty. :wink:

Salma Hayek can't do it; Pat Robertson certainly can't do it; even Jaime Foxx can't do it.

WE, the common citizens of the world, are the ones that politicians will ultimately listen to. :yes:

Your point is valid, of course - but THAT is exactly what Bono wants to happen. Bono has said numerous times how ridiculous it is for him to champion these causes. But he's also stated how we (the U.S. and U.K. people, mostly) seem to admire and praise celebrity - so Bono's using that clout.

And I agree with him. Bono, Hayek, Foxx, Pitt, etc. cannot save Africa on their own. Neither can we - on our own. Together, though, we can.

But will anyone even care if an "Average Joe" was stating this message? If you went on TV and said, "I'm an activist and here's what needs to happen..." do you think people would listen? I'll be honest, I know I wouldn't.

But if you take a celebrity - one that you respect and, more importantly, one that has shown he/she has done the necessary research - and have that person speak, other people will listen. It may be silly, but it's how our current society's work. Fame is clout - Bono is using his wisely.

Therefore, IMO, your comments about Bono's involvement are about as off-the-mark as Theroux's. I feel it is you who is guilty of not having done enough homework. You give lip-service to what Bono is doing and you claim to "get it", but I don't feel you do. It's as if you don't realize how American people think (even though you live in the U.S.). It may not be right, but it's easier to work within the existing system. In an ideal society, people would help others without the need of a celebrity endorsement. But that's not our world.

Bono is using his fame and it's working. While not every battle has been won, many victories have been achieved. Africa is far better off now than they were. Issues remain, but there is help, there is hope - and that is huge. Bono, Pitt, Foxx, Hayek, Jolie, etc., - they are just names, but their names have helped get out this message and people are listening. That is a good thing.

Last edited:
If one reads my comments without all this unnecessary emotion, you will see I didn't comment on the author's viewpoints on Bono because I DON'T AGREE WITH THEM.

All I said is that his point of view that Africa doesn't need more celebrities stating its cause has a core of truth to it.

I completely support Bono and Geldof in what they do for Africa, but what I stated is exactly what Bono has stated innumerous times - he needs us to step up our activism for Africa and that is all that I challenged posters here to do.

I really wish people would read my words and take them at face value instead of always trying to turn them around to fit their personal agenda against me.

Where in my statement did I not support Bono? No where!

Here are my exact words:

"While I fervently support One and everyone here knows of my respect for what Bono and Geldof have done to raise the world's consciousness about Africa's current problems"

Where in that statement can someone say that I criticized Bono?:eyebrow:

You can't, so please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Instead of criticizing me, what are you doing to make this world a better place?

This whole discussion has turned into an attack thread instead of a reasoned discussion of how we can better support ONE and MPH.

Very unfortunate.:tsk:

Jamila said:

Instead of criticizing me, what are you doing to make this world a better place?

You would have no idea about that, because I don't go on and on (as some people do) about how many years I have spent being a supporter of good causes. Charity is not something one brags about.
You said: "I really wish people would read my words and take them at face value instead of always trying to turn them around to fit their personal agenda against me." A "personal agenda against you"? That's just paranoia.

And I did read your words, which seemed to have almost nothing to do with what Theroux wrote. I hope you will go back and please read his comments again, and respond once more.

And what is the point you are trying to make about "TRUE activists" and the "common citizens of the world"? As opposed to whom? The less true, the less genuine, the less common? What does that mean? Is there a hierarchy of virtue?

biff, for years now you have trolled me to criticize me anytime that I post an opinion.

If I sound too glowing in terms of praise for Bono - you criticze me. If you think I don't support him enough, you criticize me.

No matter what I say - you criticize me!

I think that there is way to much criticism in you.:yes:

For some reason I can't understand - you don't like me.

I can handle that and I am really feeling sorry for you and your constant negativity toward me.

Basic Psychology will tell you that when a person has a consistent fixation about criticizing another no matter what they say or do, that signals a problem inside the person doing the criticism.

It's called projection.

But I don't hate you - I don't even know if you're female or male.

I don't troll you - I don't have the time or mindset for that.

Evidently you do. :tsk:

I never criticized Bono in my comments. I will always be a strong supporter of his actions for Africa.

I only said that Africa needed less celebrity voices speaking on her behalf and more of OUR VOICES speaking on her behalf.

What is so controversial to you about that? :huh:

So, in the Spirit of the Holidays, I will not post anymore in this thread.

You can go ahead and spout any negativity that you choose - I don't care.

I am out to enjoy my Holidays in Love and Peace. :hug:

So for the new year, can you commit to not post remarks about my comments and I will make the same promise to you?

It's called CO-EXIST.

I'm sure that you've heard Bono mention that word before.

Here is the definition:

co·ex·ist ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kg-zst)
intr.v. co·ex·ist·ed, co·ex·ist·ing, co·ex·ists

To exist together, at the same time, or in the same place.

To live in peace with another or others despite differences....

What a BRILLIANT IDEA - are you up to practice it with me?

I hope so.

Happy Holidays to you and yours. :up:

"biff, for years now you have trolled me to criticize me anytime that I post an opinion."

"Anytime I post an opinion". Really? You post many of your opinions in FYM, which is a place into which I never enter. And if disagreeing with you is called "trolling", then there must be many people in Interference who are trolls.

As to the rest of your comments, I don't know where to begin. Literally. I just don't know how to grapple with your remarks, which include condescending lessons in "Basic Psychology", an equally condescending dictionary extract defining the word "co-exist"; the fact the you "feel sorry for me", and that you want me never to express any opinion on anything you say, ever again.
(By the way, you never actually responded in a non-emotional way to the comments made by me or Dr. Who. Why is it that when people disagree with you, they are trolls?)

this is all sorta sounding like the problems between Bono and Theroux...based on misunderstanding and folks being rubbed the wrong ways?
Theroux really doesn't seem to have paid careful attention to what Bono has said or what he tries to do. Surely, even from the cursory knowledge I have of Bono's advocacy rhetoric, he has focused on accountability and transparency in programs that get set up (part of the dual acronym of DATA, right?). There's nothing in there about sending in aid workers from overseas, is there?!

Doesn't it seem from the article that Mr. Theroux is peeved about the 'dusty' reception he had at a Gates Foundation talk, lol!? He soo sounds like the author of Mosquito Coast that he is (I've liked some of his travel books, but he surely is nooo stranger to coming off like he knows the answers and all would be better if everyone just listened to his brilliant insights and admired his way with words)...this is the same guy, I presume?
I just wanna call him an asshole, but yes Bono is probably gonna get him to go to lunch, if the bastard will take the call.
His piece doesn't even make any internal sense, much less reflect any real knowledge of Bono's positions on stuff or what he's advocating. Is he really saying that debt relief would be bad?! That's surely what he implies. Is he saying that we need to intervene because these african nations keep "electing" (ha!) bad leaders, that we need to somehow "force" people to stay in Malawi? I don't even begin to understand what Mr. THeroux *does* advocate from his piece. He seems to both imply that things go to hell if africans are left to their own devices and that africans don't need outside help. He should look to Bono's rhetoric for a more fully developed picture of africa as potentially and currently vibrant and somewhere to think of development as an adventure and not a disastrous burden. They're not doing feed the world right now, they're looking for trade justice, and why Mr. Theroux isn't catching that is really beyond me. The only thing he clearly conveys is that he believes non-africans seeming to care about africa looks condescending, as if the only reason one could care about millions of *humans* dying utterly preventable deaths is if they're your immediate kin or countrymen, elsewise it's posturing? I agree that it would be lovely to see more than the posterchild for hunger from the liveaid campaign have been paraded out for live8. It would be nice to see more africans on the face of the makepovertyhistory movement. I think that's something to aim for. But Theroux isn't making it happen it seems to me by telling Bono to stay home. He could start, if he really cared, by moving beyond the lyrics of "do they know its christmastime at all" and the tabloid pix of angelina and brad with ethiopian babies and actually research what he's talking about before he critiques so scathingly. I hope we see a rebuttal, because clearly we have seen the dissed travelwriter/novelist unload the burden of his pissiness.
Maybe he can read the sections of the Time Person of the Year piece that treat the difference between pity and passion and see if that makes any sense to him as well, while he tells us what *he'd* do to help the troubled continent fix its own problems.

whew...this piece pissed me off...sorry for the rant..

cheers all!

Back
Top Bottom