(11-23-2005) U2 confirms Vertigo Tour in Santiago - El Mercurio*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 confirms Vertigo Tour in Santiago

Ed. Note -- Interference reader pepokiss has kindly translated this article from El Mercurio. Original article can be found here.

After an eight year absence, and after two weeks of rumors, the Irish band U2 confirms the stop of it’s latest Vertigo tour for February 26, 2006.

That’s how it was confirmed, through an official press release, DG Medios productions. “U2 will appear again on Sunday, February 26 in the central coliseum of Estadio Nacional.”

Organizers informed that the stage and superproduction U2 will bring its the same of the concerts made in Europe Outdoors, which includes a main stage, giant screen, two laterals and two arms that end in two mini-stages.

The foursome of Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr will arrive to the country after playing in the Brasilian cities of Sao Paulo (February 21, 22), the Santiago, and will end in Argentina, with two concerts in Buenos Aires (March 1 and 2).

Right now, the band just finished it’s 8th presentation in New York’s Madison Square Garden and the will continue to Canada, to end the North American leg in the city of Portland, on December 19th.

Also worth mentioning is that the Irish band confirmed on their website the continuation on the Vertigo Tour on November 9, where they announced stops in Mexico, South America, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

Thanks to pepokiss!

It's weird that today, Folha Online in Brasil claims that the shows in Brasil are cancelled. I don't believe it at all, but will post the article in Portuguese:

23/11/2005 - 18h16
U2 cancela show no Brasil em 2006
Publicidade
LUCIANO RIBEIRO
Colaboração para a Folha Online

O sonho acabou ou foi adiado?
Tudo estava praticamente acertado entre o empresário carioca Luiz Oscar Niemeyere e a banda irlandesa U2 mas infelizmente por motivos ainda não divulgados oficialmente o Brasil não poderá contar com a mega turnê Vertigo em 2006. O que parecia ser uma notícia maravilhosa e até mesmo inacreditável para alguns fãs da banda não passou de pura especulação nutrida por uma onda de boatos geradas na rede mundial de computadores.

De fato a Folha Online havia publicado em primeira mão a notícia de que o U2 passaria pelo Brasil com a turnê Vertigo em 2006 e isso realmente iria acontecer, porém ecoa pelos corredores da Planmusic a informação de que o Brasil não possui estrura e segurança para uma turnê dessa dimensão. A verdade é que o fator decisivo para o cancelamento desse tão esperado show seria a possibilidade de mortes por um número absurdamente grande de público o que, por pouco, não aconteceu no Rio de Janeiro na turnê POP Mart em 98, isso pesou bastante.

As datas oficiais ainda não foram marcadas mas sabe-se em "off" que o U2 fará uma única apresentação na Argentina. Espera-se que até final de novembro o calendário da turnê Vertigo 2006 esteja fechado e oficialmente divulgado.

Resta agora se saborear com o DVD U2 Live in Chicago que terá lançamento oficial no Brasil dia 30 de novembro e torcer para que na próxima turnê a banda decida dar uma passada por aqui também. E por quê não???

Mr McPhisto said:
nos vemos en el estadio :wink:

All we can gather together in some point at the Estadio Nacional that day :yes:
That day I will come from Viña with some friends, and we´ll join to a couple of friends from Santiago. We can make a huge group singing along ! :rockon:

Peace :wave:

Like all the other good wishes already expressed here, I'm so glad that U2 will be reaching out to their longtime fans around the world in 2006. :rockon:

What makes this news even sweeter is that the former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet who Bono railed against during the PopMart tour ("Tell these women - where are their children?") was just indicted yesterday on tax evasion charges for his misuse of Chilean government money during his years in office.

LIFE IS A CIRCLE - what goes around, comes around, my friends!:yes:

Tremendo!

Halup said:
It's weird that today, Folha Online in Brasil claims that the shows in Brasil are cancelled. I don't believe it at all, but will post the article in Portuguese:

Those are fake news. Some jerk with way too much time in his/her hands forged that by creating a fake link, claiming it was from Folha Online, which is a usually a respectable source. Patetic.
Anyways, there´s no confirmation at U2.com about concerts in Brasil. Yet. Actually no dates for South America have been officially released. Yet.

Btw, tomorrow night there will be an interview with U2 on Globonews, a brazilian cable TV channel, at 0h30min. They are supposed to say a few things about their plans for South America.

MT

Atención amigos: las entradas para el concierto del 26 de Febrero van a comenzar a venderse a partir de la primera semana de Diciembre... a estar atentos !!:yes:

I am playing the Santiago 11/2/98 cd right now. This truly is one of the best U2 concerts ever! Viva Chile, to Hell with Pinochet!

Amigos, have you found recent news about U2 in Chile?

The official DG Medios page has removed the U2 banner that announced the Show in Chile 26 February 2006 :ohmy:

I hope that will be just a mistake and it won´t be any news about cancelling the gig !!!!:sad: :sad:

Peace :wave:

Ponkine,

Where would I get tickets for Santiago once confirmed, I am from the Falkland Islands and will be over to Santiago for holiday again and will time it around the U2 gig!!

Cheers

Paul

kultschar said:
Ponkine,

Where would I get tickets for Santiago once confirmed

Paul

DGMedios is supposed to give all information on Thursday, so far everything has been extra-official.

Be patient, I'll share any information to support U2 fans around the world.

Back
Top Bottom