(03-11-2005) Bono Not in Running for World Bank-Lobby Group - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Not in Running for World Bank-Lobby Group

By Lesley Wroughton

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bono won't be saving the world at the helm of the World Bank.

The lobby group co-founded by the Irish band U2's lead singer on Thursday knocked down media reports that he was a serious contender to head the global institution that provides billions of dollars annually to help the world's poorest countries.

"I can't believe I need to say this, but there are no circumstances in which Bono would be nominated or accept the World Bank job," said Jamie Drummond, executive director of DATA -- or Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa -- for which Bono campaigns to raise awareness of Africa's problems.

"Bono is flattered to be mentioned for such an important job but DATA does its best work from the outside."

Who will next lead the World Bank has been up in the air since former Wall Street investment banker James Wolfensohn announced in December he would leave the post when his term expires at the end of May.

Washington has always chosen the World Bank chief, traditionally an American, under an informal trans-Atlantic deal with Europe, which picks the head of the International Monetary Fund. Developing nations want this process changed so choices are made based on qualifications, not nationality.

The 70-year-old Wolfensohn, an Australian who became American to take the job, was appointed by President Bill Clinton and the President Bush's Treasury Department has said it now wants its own World Bank chief.

Global development experts and commentators have expressed surprise at the delay by the Bush administration in naming a successor to Wolfensohn.

Bono's name first surfaced for the job in a Los Angeles Times editorial that last month endorsed the rock star as a credible candidate, based on his effective lobbying on behalf of African development.

The idea gathered global momentum -- and a new twist -- last weekend when U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow, who is part of the team working to find Wolfensohn's successor, told a U.S. television network he admired the singer.

"He's in a way a rock star of the development world too. He understands the give-and-take of development. He's a very pragmatic, effective and idealistic person," Snow told ABC's This Week in an interview on Sunday.

But Snow added that the job would go to an American.

"I fully expect that to be the case, yes, and so do the G7 finance ministers and all of the participants in the process," he said.

DATA's Drummond said he hoped that whoever wins the job "puts the interest of the poorest people in places like Africa first, and wins the trust of people around the world."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/economy_worldbank_bono_dc

I just love the "I can't believe I have to say this, but.." comment!

It must be terribly flattering in one way, for Bono to have to deal with actual rumours and press about this, indicating how well respected he is for his smarts and style. But it's also a weird reflection of our political culture lately, that anyone would seriously float the idea of a rockstar...albeit a brilliant, perceptive, pragmatically saavy one...becoming World Bank President!
I like it better than Arnold becoming governor of California, but still....

Come on Bonos only a rock singer, hes' going into areas that are above him.

jpjames said:
Come on Bonos only a rock singer, hes' going into areas that are above him.

Well, it's only actually because he has so impressed some people in the kinds of circles John Snow and Paul O'Neill move in that these rumours started, imho. He helped to found DATA and all, and though I am really mostly unaware of his specific rhetoric and handle on the issues surrounding debt relief and fair trade and such, he is clearly an articulate spokesperson.
That's just not exactly what you expect ...or at least I expect...from a world bank president. I expect someone who was CFO of something, or head of a development agency with his hands dirtied by balancesheet ink, or an economics prof, something like that. It would be more fun to have rockstars, of course! And like Snow said, Bono serves in his way as a sort of rockstar for development, calling attention to the important issues. It's a total lovely bonus that he's so smart about it all that he impresses the powers-that-be, thus hopefully making his arguments more persuasive and appealing to those folks who can actually do stuff...

cheers...

Back
Top Bottom