what is the biggest crowds u2 ever played

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I remember correctly, it's 150,000 on 1997-09-20 at Reggio Emilia, Italy. I think it might be the world record for a single act without support.

Yah Reggio is correct. 150,000 is always the figure I've heard, although in his diary, Willy (the Set Designer for U2 on POP MART and basically every other tour) says that they reckon it might be closer to 170,000. I'd personally go with 150,000 cause that figure seems to have been circulated around a lot more.

WHYWHY said:
Yah Reggio is correct. 150,000 is always the figure I've heard, although in his diary, Willy (the Set Designer for U2 on POP MART and basically every other tour) says that they reckon it might be closer to 170,000. I'd personally go with 150,000 cause that figure seems to have been circulated around a lot more.

I remember reading someone mentioning they had a ticket numbered higher than 151,000. I have no idea if ticket numbers are anything to go by, but I found that interesting.

According to Amusement Business which tracks the concert industry worldwide, the official attendence for the soldout show at Reggio in Italy on POPMART was 150,000. This is show is the largest show in history, where people "payed" to see a single artist(no support artist) perform! This show Grossed over 5 million dollars.

U2's largest show in America and 3rd largest show ever, was on September 25, 1987 at JFK Stadium in Philadephia. It was a soldout show to 86,145 people!

USA:

-125,000 in Devore (California), US Festival supporting Bowie

-86,145 in Philadelphia, Sep 25, 1987, during the third leg of The Joshua Tree Tour

-------------------------

Europe:

-115,000 in Madrid (Estadio Santiago Bernabeu), July 15, 1987, during the second leg of The Joshua Tree Tour.

-80,000 in Leeds (Roundhay Park), August 1993, during the Zooropa Tour (4th leg of ZooTV)

-75,000 x2 in Sao Paulo (Brazil), January 1998, during the 4th leg of PopMart.

-78,000 x2 in Dublín, August/Sept 2001, Elevation Tour.

Vox

They supported Bowie on/at the US festival? I thought they were just one of many bands at that show because it was like a Woodstock type of concert.

so it was the biggest crowd any band has ever played??

Are there any pictures from that concert in Italy?

Squire said:

It was the biggest crowd that any single artist (by themselves without a support act) has every played where the crowd had to buy tickets.

There have been festivals with multiple artist on the line up or free concerts where multiple artist or just one artist played to more people, but Reggio was the largest "paying" crowd ever to see just one artist.

There are pictures out there on the internet and in fact concert video somewhere as well. I have a friend that was at the show.

I was in Reggio Emilia in 1997,
the show was amazing, you can imagine what happened during where the streets have no name, when everyone started jumping and screaming at the same time!
Anyway I remember reading in an italian fanclub someone mentioning they had a ticket numbered around 156,000 and the following day in an italian newspaper they reported a figure of 170,000!!!

Squire said:

Sure.
Here are some of the first hits I got when using Google:

u2-1.jpg

u2-2.jpg

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Sure.
Here are some of the first hits I got when using Google:

u2-1.jpg

u2-2.jpg

C ya!

Marty

:ohmy:

That's freaking awesome!!

It seems that place could have had more people in it. They should have put more tickets to sell.

Thanks for the pictures :)

Squire said:

:ohmy:

That's freaking awesome!!

It seems that place could have had more people in it. They should have put more tickets to sell.

Thanks for the pictures :)

If there are to many people in a set up confined space, it can become a crowd control problem. I don't know how they determined where to set up fences and barriers for the show, but if you put to many people inside one of these things, it can be dangerous.

The Report in "Amusement Business" says the concert was a SELLOUT with exactly 150,000 tickets sold.

Back
Top Bottom