Week 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very sad to see HTDAAB that low in the US. Hope it will get better during the next weeks but I don't know what could help increase sales. The next single will only be released in a few months.

Albums in America need constant and heavy promotion nowadays to keep selling well. This is not the case of HTDAAB whatsoever.
Apart from the sad state of music business in America, U2´s marketing team is to be blamed. Shame on them.

At this point, only a monster single or a sweep in the next grammy awards would make this album reach the 4 million mark. Neither of them are likely to happen :mad:

ybird3k said:
is ATYCLB head of HTDAAB now after the same amount of time from release?
and also does anyone know the global total for ATYCLB after 32 weeks?

Here is a comparison of where BOMB and ATYCLB were in their respective week 32's in the USA.

ATYCLB:

#53 30,000 copies sold TOTAL: 2,584,000

HTDAAB:

#155 7,092 copies sold TOTAL: 2,799,328

Rest of U2's Back Catalogue in this weeks UK top 200 chart :

Albums -
BO 90-00 : # 86 (# 88) - 51 (weeks on top 200 chart)
ATYCLB : # 116 (# 121) - 95 wks
R&H : # 188 (# 149) - 95 wks
AB : # 199 (# 140) - 165 wks

Singles -
Vertigo : # 98 (# 99) - 25 wks
Sometimes : # 136 (# 109) - 20 wks

Last edited:
Austria:
HTDAAB 18 (27)
B8090 27 (48)
B9000 42 (-)

Fortunately, a good part of Europe seems still holdin' on!
Let's wait now for the Spanish and the German results...

Billboard Europe Charts

Billboard just updated the Eurocharts Top 100...

Top 100 Albums

HTDAAB 18 (20)

Top 100 Singles

COBL 24 (17)

Also, in the U.S., the B/O 1980-90 got a significant bump in sales this week to rise to 36 (43) on the Pop Catalog charts. If Live 8 has a significant effect on U2's back catalog (but not HTDAAAB), then one or both of their "Best Of's" could give the Bomb a run for it's money on next weeks comprehensive Top 200 album chart.

In a few other countries, it looks like HTDAAB and B/O 1990-2000 are the albums that benefited from Live 8, although it's too early to tell, I know. All three of the songs U2 performed can be found on those two albums, though...

Re: Billboard Europe Charts

VALE69 said:
Austria:
HTDAAB 18 (27)
B8090 27 (48)
B9000 42 (-)

beLIEve said:
Billboard just updated the Eurocharts Top 100...

Top 100 Albums

HTDAAB 18 (20)

Top 100 Singles

COBL 24 (17)

Wow!! These are all great results.

I think Bomb will now stay at # 34 on mediatraffic world chart with sales of around 40,000 (31,000 in Europe + 9,000 in ROW).

I predict # 15 for COBL. :wink:

SPAIN

Sometimes still at Top20 and City at #2!

Chart:
1-5-5-5-5-6-6-9-9-9-
10-9-12-15-21-27-29-34-40-42-
49-47-64-58?-58-56-66-79-83-75
82-?

Sales: 200,000 (2x Platinum)

Vertigo Run:
1-1-1-4-1-2-3-3-4-1-
2-4-3-3-8-6-12-14-16-19
16-15-10-14-13-16-?-?-?-?
?-?-?-?

Sometimes Run:
1-2-4-4-5-6-9-11-9-11-
12-10-16-19-outofTop20-?-?-14-17-19

City Of Blinding Lights Run:
5-1-1-2

Vox

Mediatraffic is updated and U2 are still at #34 this week, which is all good. There's no arrow to indicate a rise in sales, and my calculations figured there was probably a drop of about 1000 for the week.

Billboard chart this week (July 16)

Bomb
Billboard 200: #155
Billboard Comprehensive Albums: #172

SYCMOYO
Adult Top 40: #39

Is this the last week for a song from Bomb in any US singles chart?

In the Mediatraffic WC, HTDAAB is at n. 34; I see Toby Keith is at n. 32 (with 60.570 copies sold only in USA) and Rascal Flatts is at n. 35, just behind HTDAAB, with 50.000 copies sold only in USA...
What does it means this?
Is it possible that HTDAAB has sold more than 50.000 copies last week (with 13.000+8.000 adding USA and UK, the major markets in the world...).
It sounds me quite strange...

ChargedVT said:
Mediatraffic is updated and U2 are still at #34 this week, which is all good. There's no arrow to indicate a rise in sales, and my calculations figured there was probably a drop of about 1000 for the week.

and city at #18 in singles chart!
But i have a question:bomb is at 34 and we expect near 33k ;but at 35 and 36 there are 2 albums that only in usa sold 50k.....i don't understand how mediatraffic calculate the chart.....someone can explane???????

ChargedVT said:

Yes, i agree. So Bomb would have sold about 37,000. So, total estimated sales so far :

7,802,000 + 37,000 (w.33) = 7,839,000

Also at mediatraffic, COBL goes down 1 spot to # 18

VALE69 said:
In the Mediatraffic WC, HTDAAB is at n. 34; I see Toby Keith is at n. 32 (with 60.570 copies sold only in USA) and Rascal Flatts is at n. 35, just behind HTDAAB, with 50.000 copies sold only in USA...
What does it means this?
Is it possible that HTDAAB has sold more than 50.000 copies last week (with 13.000+8.000 adding USA and UK, the major markets in the world...).

Tallarico said:

and city at #18 in singles chart!
But i have a question:bomb is at 34 and we expect near 33k ;but at 35 and 36 there are 2 albums that only in usa sold 50k.....i don't understand how mediatraffic calculate the chart.....someone can explane???????

The chart is calculated on points as well as sales. Bomb simply has more points than those usa albums 'cos it's charting in more countries. That's why it's higher on the chart.

Last edited:
edge3 said:
The chart is calculated on points as well as sales. Bomb simply has more points than those usa albums 'cos it's charting in more countries. That's why it's higher on the chart.

OK! I suspected something like that; in effect, I see that Toby Keith and Rascal flatts are charted only on BB and in Canada.
they're not in any other chart.

Thanks!

Last edited:
edge3 said:
:up: Germany :

Bomb : # 50 (53)
COBL : # 57 (40)

Not too bad: yesterday there has been the gig in Berlin, so we can expect an increase for the last week, and the same thing could happen the next month, when Vertigo Tour will reach Munich, I think.

Belgium :

Flanders -
Bomb : # 8 (# 6)
BO 80-90 : # 50 (# 32)
COBL : # 40 (# 29)

Wallonie -
Bomb : # 20 (# 13)

fedeu2 said:
Albums in America need constant and heavy promotion nowadays to keep selling well. This is not the case of HTDAAB whatsoever.
Apart from the sad state of music business in America, U2´s marketing team is to be blamed. Shame on them.

At this point, only a monster single or a sweep in the next grammy awards would make this album reach the 4 million mark. Neither of them are likely to happen :mad:

Exactly what should U2's marketing team be "blamed" for again?
Whereas in the 90s, triple platinum albums were a dime a dozen, that's not the case now. I just looked over the Billboard Top 50 albums...there are only TWO albums on that list that, like HTDAAB, have been RIIAA 3Million certified or more..50 Cent (4M) and Green Day (3M)...(Coldplay will likely be on that list shortly) Almost 3 million sold is no easy feat in today's US market. Just a short 5 years ago when ATYCLB was released it was a lot easier to hit the 3Million sold milestone. so comparing the two may be unfair.

HTDAAB was a huge commerical success for U2 in the US, and there are few who would dispute that...is JT or AB days? those numbers are almost never attained by anyone these days.

For not doing their best to promote the album.
With proper marketing of singles (Sometimes and City), this album would have sold half a million copies more by now in the US.

After all, it´s the band themselves who want to compete with the likes of Britney and hip-hop artists.

I say, get a new marketing team.

LeafsNation said:

Exactly what should U2's marketing team be "blamed" for again?
Whereas in the 90s, triple platinum albums were a dime a dozen, that's not the case now. I just looked over the Billboard Top 50 albums...there are only TWO albums on that list that, like HTDAAB, have been RIIAA 3Million certified or more..50 Cent (4M) and Green Day (3M)...(Coldplay will likely be on that list shortly) Almost 3 million sold is no easy feat in today's US market. Just a short 5 years ago when ATYCLB was released it was a lot easier to hit the 3Million sold milestone. so comparing the two may be unfair.

HTDAAB was a huge commerical success for U2 in the US, and there are few who would dispute that...is JT or AB days? those numbers are almost never attained by anyone these days.

They could market tthe hell out of it in the US and it wouldnt show much difference in sales. ATYCLB was U2s most marketed album in the US and it also had Grammy awards to boost its sales and it still didnt do that spectacular compaired to past albums.

There is a few things to blame for this....

1. Not as many people go out and buy commercial CDs anymore and that is a fact.

2. U2s fanbase in the US is smaller but still very dedicated.

3. It is harder for U2 to attract new fans these days due to their advanced age, comparitively to other artists that chart well.

I´m aware of everything you said.
However, consider that American Idiot, a mediocre album has sold nearly one million copies more than HTDAAB in the US
Do you think promotion has nothing to do with it?

Yahweh said:
They could market tthe hell out of it in the US and it wouldnt show much difference in sales. ATYCLB was U2s most marketed album in the US and it also had Grammy awards to boost its sales and it still didnt do that spectacular compaired to past albums.

There is a few things to blame for this....

1. Not as many people go out and buy commercial CDs anymore and that is a fact.

2. U2s fanbase in the US is smaller but still very dedicated.

3. It is harder for U2 to attract new fans these days due to their advanced age, comparitively to other artists that chart well.

fedeu2 said:
For not doing their best to promote the album.
With proper marketing of singles (Sometimes and City), this album would have sold half a million copies more by now in the US.

After all, it´s the band themselves who want to compete with the likes of Britney and hip-hop artists.

I say, get a new marketing team.

You still haven't addressed my point that the album was a huge success in a market where few bands hit triple platinum. Yes, there's always room for improvement, but you make it sound like the album bombed when it was in fact one of the better selling albums in the US this past year, and had an excellent run in the Top Ten.

But after the sales of the first few weeks bomb really has done poorly in the US. Coldplays X&Y looks as if it will do better and its a CRAP album

and Greendays american idiot has only been so succesful due to "boulevard of broken dreams"

Not at all. I´m not jick you know?
I consider the album a success in the US and a monster seller in Europe and ROW.
However, as you say below, there´s room for improvement, case in point, Green Day´s American Idiot. Like others said, a crap album from a kind of washed out artist, still a much greater success than the bomb, not quite in regards album sales (still nearly 1 million ahead of bomb) but clearly insofar singles´performance is concerned.

Promotion of HTDAAB has been similar to that of ATYCLB in fact.
People at PM and Intercope, etc, should realize not always one can relies on grammys or terrorist attacks (hopefully, won´t happen ever again) as bonus for commercial success, as in the case of ATYCLB.

LeafsNation said:

You still haven't addressed my point that the album was a huge success in a market where few bands hit triple platinum. Yes, there's always room for improvement, but you make it sound like the album bombed when it was in fact one of the better selling albums in the US this past year, and had an excellent run in the Top Ten.

VALE69 said:
What does it means this?

The chart itself is actually based on the total number of "points" you get from charting on other countries album charts. Typically, album sales will usually be in line with "points", but sometimes there are albums that chart higher because of their "points" than their actual sales would normally allow. Because HTDAAB still charts in the upper reaches of many album charts around the world, it is likely that it sold less than Rascal Flatts, but charted higher because of more "points". Still, I think you would have to say that at a minimum the album sold around 40,000 copies.

Back
Top Bottom