Sales on the decline? I dont think so!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have read two or three articles about No Line's opening week sales projecting "so low". That’s funny, and Ill tell you why. They compare this album to "Bomb"; the only problem is that Bomb came out Thanksgiving week, which is the biggest sales week of the year. I know some U2 fans will point to a declining market, which is kind of true but U2 buck's this trend. Lets compare apples to apples:

Pop came out in March of 1997. I think it is fair to say that the music industry was at/near its peak at this time...right? So, Pop opened up with 349,000 albums sold in its 1st week.

No line came out in March or 2009 (12 years later in that declining market). If this album sells 500k, 400k or even 350k, that means it would have outsold an album they released 12 years ago in the same month. That’s amazing.

Now, Im sure Doc Who will mention that they promote their albums more (much more) than they did in the 80's and 90's and that is correct. But the fact is, in a market that has declined by 40 or 50% since 2000/2001 and a band that according to some (very few) critics is 18 years removed from relevancy is creating more demand for their albums than they were 12 years ago. I mean, even ATYCLB was released in a bigger sales "time"(1st week of November) than No line but if you wanted to compare sales, that would be a fair comparison as well.

Bottom line folks- just Breathe and say out loud: Here we go Steelers Here we go...oh wait, wrong forum :doh: , I meant "Lets go U2, kick some ass on your Stadium tour!!"
http://www.coolfer.com/blog/archives/2009/03/why_is_u2_proje.php? here is the link to one of the stories I am talking about

Everyone here would agree with you. It's not us you have to convince - it's the media.

The media is comparing NLOTH to HTDAAB. Some reports do "gently" bring up the fact that this is March and not Thanksgiving week. But none bring up the fact that NLOTH's first week may outsell "Pop" (released in the same time frame) and ATYCLB (which had the monstrous "Beautiful Day" behind it).

ATYCLB and HTDAAB also were able to take advantage of the holiday sales. ATYCLB enjoyed all of November and December. HTDAAB enjoyed all of December. NLOTH is on its own - no holiday boost here.

But again, will the media remember this when NLOTH doesn't go 2x Platinum in 5 weeks like HTDAAB did? Probably not. So be prepared for some negative press. The media spins the way they want to spin. Intelligence is often lacking. I mean, all they do is report what has happened - not exactly a job for the strong of brain power. :wink:

Now,now....don't hate because the Steelers are 6x champs :yippie:

Big Ben is like the Bono of NFL.... just so good at what he does yet a lot of people just dont appreciate him.:applaud:

you sort of have a point, in 2004 u2 release HTDAAB which was awful, an * to the bands otherwise stellar career. The next year football season culminates in a Pittsburgh Super Bowl "win" (thanks to the refs) over Seattle, so i give them an * for that.

This last SB win for Pitt was impressive, much like NLOTH, so i give them both their due.

you sort of have a point, in 2004 u2 release HTDAAB which was awful, an * to the bands otherwise stellar career. The next year football season culminates in a Pittsburgh Super Bowl "win" (thanks to the refs) over Seattle, so i give them an * for that.

This last SB win for Pitt was impressive, much like NLOTH, so i give them both their due.

Uh... HTDAAB was not "awful" (I view it as a highlight) and I can think of tons of otherwise crap moments in U2's "stellar" career (1997 leaps to mind, along with tidbits in the year of any album's release).

As for Pitt, being a New England fan, I think one has to go with the punches. Sometimes the refs help, sometimes they hurt.

I think the main problem is people just don't buy CD's anymore.

We are all consumers, so we can all answer this statement. I haven't bought a CD since November of 2004 (Im sure you know which one). I downloaded No line AND bought the standard CD (because there is no feeling like opening up a new U2 album). My experience of going to buy the actual CD made me think of a few things:

1-Where the hell do you buy a CD? Sam Goody (where I bought POP) out of business. Tower Records...gone. Coconuts...gone. Luckily, we have an FYE in the Mall down the way, so thats where I went.

2- I get to FYE and I find the CD. Its on SALE for $13.99 with a sticker above it that reads $19.99. All I thought was why would anyone buy a CD for $19.99 when you can download it for $9.99 (or just pick the songs you like for a couple/few bucks).

3- I looked at the Joshua Tree album and it was $19.99. Now, its worth the money to me but to a young fan new to U2 or 80's/90's music, why would they ever spend $20.00 on a 20 year old CD when they can go to their computer and pick the songs they want.

4- Then I thought that songs like Running to Stand still or So Cruel will never be heard by that young fan because those aren't the most popular songs on the album (when you sort by sales on iTunes at least). So, you can see I did a lot of thinking.

1. Anti Bono-factor is creeping in some reviews.
2. Album is not as acessible as ATYCLB or Bomb were.
3. Boots isn't half the lead single BD and Vertigo were.

Back
Top Bottom