Hitsdailydouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoovation

War Child
0.64%

No sign of U2 at the moment.

This remembers me of the weeks we were waiting here to see the bomb rising or falling in the charts on hitsdailydouble. Great time.

The real grammy effect will be next week....

in 2002 grammy awards were in 27 th february and the chart with the grammy's boost was on 09.03.2002....

Tallarico said:
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/search/se_charts.cgi?

here you can control when there were the charts in 2001-2002-2005 after the Grammy!

last year (3 grammy for Vertigo, the grammy was on 13 th february; in 2001 on 23 february and on 2002 on 27 february).

The old Billboard dates do not refer though to the actual sales week. We will know officially this Wendsday, the Soundscan results for Monday February 6 through Sunday February 12. This will have 4 days of post Grammy sales on it and artist usually receive the largest spike there, with some strong but lower sales the following week.

Hits Daily Double also refers to the past week, so unfortunately, if HITS numbers are correct, it looks like HTDAAB sold less than 30,000 copies this past week. Still that could potentialy mean that 25,000 people went out and bought the album this past weekend as a result of the Grammy awards.

cjboog said:
If that is accurate it is really disappointing :( :sad:

Remember though, BOMB only sold 4,500 copies the week before the Grammy's. It would be unrealistic to expect that it would sell 80,000 copies over 4 days. I did think it would make the top 50, and there is a chance that it could, but Soundscan is the official figure and it comes out on Wendsday.

Nevermind, I got it. That really sucks so far.

Surprising that Train has only about 10,000 with 37.72% in dropping from #10 last week to #47 so far.

A lot of artists seem to profit from the Grammys which is not the case for U2 at the moment.

Mary J. Blige is #1(2), Mariah Carey #5(16), Kelly Clarkson #6(23), John Legend #27(-), Kanye West #39(-), Gwen Stefani #46(-), Green Day #48(-).

The difference between these artists and U2 is that they all had a better position last week. However, U2 should profit from the fact they were the big winners of the Grammys.

Timing effects?

Does anyone know if the "% sales reported" is tallied in some particular order? I'm wondering if the way that HITS gets it's sales counts over the 2-day reporting period matches up with the way sales were going, in chronological order, over the 7 days of the previous week?

IF THIS is the way the sales are reported, then maybe it makes sense that U2 is not in the Top 50 yet. From Monday through Wednesday, U2 was not getting any Grammy hype. Many of the other artists, especially Kanye and Mariah, were already getting a lot of hype. U2's hype, even if people stayed up so late to see the results, started on Thursday...about at 50% of the selling period.

One other concern for this week is that the hype from the Grammies would have likely lead to a lot of weekend purchases, but nearly 50% of the U.S. population ended up focusing on a blizzard by Friday, and then it actually hit and lasted all weekend. The other artists dealt with it, too, so who knows. It is true that historical sales boosts showed up when there had been one full week of sales after the awards show. We'll know soon enough.

i was thinking along the same lines BeLIEve, in terms of U2's grammy sales coming in, in the 2nd half of HITS due to the end of the week.

Preliminary Soundscan shows:

Top 3: Mary J #1, Manilow #2, Jack Johnson #3
Further new entries: Dem Franchize Boyz #5 Remy Ma #19
In Flames #38 Ron White #39 KT Tunstall #48 Beth Orton #85

Grammy resurgents: Mariah top 10 again (#7) also Kelly C. (#10) John Legend takes a giant leap from #187 to #15, U2 re-enter at #45, Paul McCartney re-enters at #121.

Updated with the 75% of the sales done. :ohmy:

Top 10 Charts

HITS shows the Top 10 album sales for the Nation's largest record stores, as I'm sure most of you know, and several of those stores, found at the "top tens" link, have reported their results. Virgin's Megastores gives us another indication besides Amazon.com of HTDAAB's resurgence...it comes in at #8 on their sales chart. I'm not sure if this is for the same time frame used for Soundscan and HITS, as it says "For the week ending 2/17/06". It's probably in line with sales from Monday-Sunday of last week, but maybe it bodes well for HTDAAB next week, too.

Soldatti said:
Preliminary Soundscan shows:

Top 3: Mary J #1, Manilow #2, Jack Johnson #3
Further new entries: Dem Franchize Boyz #5 Remy Ma #19
In Flames #38 Ron White #39 KT Tunstall #48 Beth Orton #85

Grammy resurgents: Mariah top 10 again (#7) also Kelly C. (#10) John Legend takes a giant leap from #187 to #15, U2 re-enter at #45, Paul McCartney re-enters at #121.

Updated with the 75% of the sales done. :ohmy:

Wow! If this pans out, this could be what were looking for! Will know tomorrow for sure.

Thanks SOLDATTI!

Re: Timing effects?

beLIEve said:
Does anyone know if the "% sales reported" is tallied in some particular order? I'm wondering if the way that HITS gets it's sales counts over the 2-day reporting period matches up with the way sales were going, in chronological order, over the 7 days of the previous week?

IF THIS is the way the sales are reported, then maybe it makes sense that U2 is not in the Top 50 yet. From Monday through Wednesday, U2 was not getting any Grammy hype. Many of the other artists, especially Kanye and Mariah, were already getting a lot of hype. U2's hype, even if people stayed up so late to see the results, started on Thursday...about at 50% of the selling period.

One other concern for this week is that the hype from the Grammies would have likely lead to a lot of weekend purchases, but nearly 50% of the U.S. population ended up focusing on a blizzard by Friday, and then it actually hit and lasted all weekend. The other artists dealt with it, too, so who knows. It is true that historical sales boosts showed up when there had been one full week of sales after the awards show. We'll know soon enough.

Weather can definitely effect the charts as hard as that is to believe sometimes, but I don't think the Blizzard effected 50% of the US population. Good point though.

I think this is the case...

ybird3k said:
i was thinking along the same lines BeLIEve, in terms of U2's grammy sales coming in, in the 2nd half of HITS due to the end of the week.

Based on the Soundscan info and the fact that HTDAAB is in the Top 10 on Amazon.com AND Virgin's Megastores, it makes sense that the HITS chart is compiled using sales in chronological order from the prior week. Right now, with 66% of the tally in, the chart at best is only picking up 1-2 days of 4 days where U2 would have benefitted from the Grammy landslide.

HTDAAB will show up on the HITS chart, I believe, but maybe not until we see the final results. Coming from nowhere on the charts, and with just half of the full selling week really available for the awards affect, I think that a place in the Top 40, or just outside of it, is pretty good.

Regardless of how things shake out for this week, HTDAAB will be a strong catalog seller for years to come with it going 8 for 8 at the grammies...it will always be billed as the "Album of the Year", and we're a ways off from a "Best Of" diluting sales. U2's longevity and place in history just keeps getting more impressive with time...they truly have no peers in the music world.

Back
Top Bottom