Hits- Week 7 Watch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Final Results: U2 #15 with 52k copies...Eminem #1 with 95k

Good Note: This Week U2 suffered a smaller drop compared to other artists (it's the first time this happens :) )

wow isnt that quite bad? i mean i know people will say "it was a weak week" but i mean 52.000 copies? thats like 14.000 copies less than ATYCLB sold the same week.

Why people keep comparing what happened 4 years ago to what is happening now is beyond me, you should be comparing the sales to other artists on the chart and while a 40 percent decrease in sales is a lot, there are many more acts that experienced drops reaching close to 60 percent. I expect the sales of this album to be about 60 thousand when the billboard chart comes out because Hits has consistantly understated U2s numbers each week.

To date, the SoundScan numbers have been higher for U2 than they have for HITS. As such, SoundScan might have HTDAAB at sales of 60,000 or higher.

Right now, the smaller drop on HITS and the relative stagnant position on the charts is a good thing.

I'm curious if ABoY has now finally seen a bit of an increase on the charts - especially now that the video has been launched and the song received air time on national TV last week. If ABoY gets going, then we might see HTDAAB pop back into the top 10.

Regardless, after HTDAAB's much larger than average drop last week, it makes sense to see a smaller than average drop this week. Another huge drop would've been worrisome.

KUEFC09U2 said:
wow isnt that quite bad? i mean i know people will say "it was a weak week" but i mean 52.000 copies? thats like 14.000 copies less than ATYCLB sold the same week.

that was 4 years ago...with 66k copies ATYCLB was #16, while now with 52k HTDAAB is #15: the entire market is smaller than 4 years ago.

For the past two post-Christmas weeks, the album is really showing its legs (or lack thereof).

Cheers,

J

fedeu2 said:
Hmmmm, maybe I´m missing something here but I really can´t see how the fact that HTDAAB is now selling "only" as much as ATYCLB is a good thing. I mean, if we accept that the grammies push is not going to happen, at this pace, the Bomb will be selling much less than 50,000 copies a week when the tour finally begins. Such figures won´t be enough for the album to hit the 4 million copies mark (sales to consumers) by the end of 2005.

Sure the album will have a slight increase in sales when the Rock and Roll Fame induction happens, but that´s just about it. It all comes down to the singles and tour from now on.

Hope I´m wrong but it seems PM has screwed it again with the choice and timing of the second single. In my opinion, this was not the right moment to release All because of you (too much similar to Vertigo) and in any case, the video should have premiered on MTV at least two weeks ago.
Sometimes is a much better song, maybe the best of the album together with Miracle drug; they should have released it worldwide to keep the album´s momentum.

Maybe I´m being pessimistic here but I´m a bit disappointed at the moment.
I want this awesome record to sell as much as JT or AB!!
It really deserves it.

F.

I think the Grammy's provided a two week bounce in sales at most. The average person on the street a month after the Grammy's probably does not buy the album for that reason.

Will see how the album is selling March though. I think it can maintain the pace of ATYCLB sales. Remember, it took ATYCLB TWO YEARS to hit 4 million copies sold to consumers. "BOMB" is only in its 7th week meaning it has nearly 100 more weeks to do what ATYCLB did.

In regards to chart position, "BOMB" is beating ATYCLB this week. Its probably closer to only 6,000 copies less in sales because Soundscan is getting more hits for the album than dailybouble is the past few weeks.

This is good, the album now looks to have just as much staying power as ATYCLB, at least for the next several months.

It is a big chart this week and an even bigger one next week. This could suggest that the album is starting to stabilise and hit sales around the 40k - 60k mark which is similar to ATYCLB's chart run. If this is sustained in 2005 - it will be at ATYCLB's total sales by the end of 05 as it has already sold over 2m. If the follow-up singles perform similar to ATYCLB in terms of chart position, similar sales could be expected or slightly less given no temporary Grammy jumps can be expected and slightler less album sales in 04 compared to 01.

For the album to top 60k per week, it will need its follow-up singles to make a bigger impact on the top 40 - i.e top 20 which is a big ask. Now that the video has been released for ABOY - we shall see. The tour, using ATYCLB as a reference will help sales in sustaining the 40-60k sales range

The drop-off this week was always likely to be less than other artists given the mega drop of 70% last week. If albums sales fall back another 1/3 next week, then I would be concerned as the album will start to fall from the teens into the twenties. I hope it can sustain 50K plus.

It will also be interesting to compare the UK versus US chart position. Both albums have performed very similar in terms of sales (far exceeding my expecations) and are at similar positions on the chart. The rises and falls have been remarkably similiar. This will be a good test on what will given album sales a bigger boost in the next month - Sometimes in the U.K versus ABOY in the U.S. However, the U.K sales will have an advantage as U2 are performing at the Brit awards and possibly a benefit concert for the Tsumani victims. The last time U2 performed at the Brit awards in 01 or 02, it gave a big boost to album sales for ATYCLB and their back catologue - from memory JT got back to 20 or 21 as they performed Streets on the show.

Anyway - my waffly 2 cents for what it is worth.

Next week is a biggie for the album and ABOY

jick said:
For the past two post-Christmas weeks, the album is really showing its legs (or lack thereof).

Cheers,

J

I admit, last week's drop was huge - but then ALL albums dropped more than I expected. I figured 150,000 for U2 last week, yet they were just shy of 100K.

So with that in mind, I think 60K this week for U2 is about right. Once again, it seems all album sales are pretty crappy. I'm rather surrpised, but U2 seems pretty much on par with everyone else. In fact, based on HITS numbers, U2 did pretty damn well this week compared to everyone else.

So, Jick, as much as you want to slam HTDAAB's sales, you have to hold off a few more weeks. I know you're salivating at the thought of debasing U2 - but it's not this week. :wink:

No Tour = No Sales
No More Hit Singles = No Sales
That's how this album will differ from ATYCLB.

Last edited:
There won't be a tour. Anybody who really believes Edge would even consider touring at a time like this needs to wake up and smell the coffee. It's better that everybody just accept it now, rather than hanging on for months until they finally come out and say it.

zoo tv mcg said:
The last time U2 performed at the Brit awards in 01 or 02, it gave a big boost to album sales for ATYCLB and their back catologue - from memory JT got back to 20 or 21 as they performed Streets on the show.

Actually, besides Beautiful Day, it was an entirely Achtung set. Off memory, they played One/BD/UTEOTW/MW. Yep, just checked and that's correct. Surprising JT would get a boost rather than AB.

And of course there will be a tour. Anyone who says there won't be a tour is overly cynical.

Last edited:
Whether they tour this year or next it wont matter the album is already showing well on its own when they tour it will only help the record get hopefully to at least the top 5 in sales in the U2 catolgue.

The_acrobat said:

No More Hit Singles = No Sales

"Vertigo" is still getting a ton of airplay on the alternative stations, so it's been preventing "All Because Of You" from moving up as fast as it should.......it was at #12 last week though, and tomorrow we'll probably see it in the top ten.....so I definitely wouldn't rule out this album having any more hits, as it already seems to have another one.

EDIT: Looks like ABOY keeps on moving up.........#10 on the Modern Rock Charts and #20 on the Mainstream Rock Charts.....and note that "Vertigo" is still doing strong business, so ABOY will naturally gain momentum once more stations start phasing out the previous single.

http://www.radioandrecords.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom