Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another little fact is that 122 of the shows on the tour (which includes the dates with Metallica) occured in North America(Mexico, United States, Canada). This means only 70 shows occured outside North America, including the Rock In Rio Festival shows that occured in January 1991, 4 months before the warm up shows for the tour began.

Of the 122 shows in North America, only 83 of them were reported and listed in Billboard Boxscore in Billboard Magazine. 18 of the shows were with Metallica, the other 65 were individual Guns N Roses shows. Without Metallica, Guns N Roses highest attendance at a Stadium posted in Billboard Boxscore was in Miami on December 31, 1991 with a little over 39,000 in attendance. Even here though, some of that attendance is obviously due to it being a special show on New Years Eve.

MOGGIO,

Just for the sake of argument, I thought I would use the so called "EXACT" figures provided by the link in producing an estimate. The first was 3,003,086 for the entire year of 1992. The second was 1,167,500 for the European Tour in 1993. Next, I use the KNOWN Boxscore figures from 1991 and 1993. That leaves only a small number of shows from 1991 and 1993 that need to be estimated with the majority of them NOT in stadiums.

The figure I came up with, which includes the two shows at Rock In Rio 1991 even though they were not apart of the tour, was 6.3 million for the 192 shows.

This ironically is lower than their figure of 7 million as well as your figure of 6.5 million.

I still think 6.3 million is an overestimate and 5.8 million or 5.9 million is far more accurate. Once again, there is no source for these alleged "exact" figures for attendance in 1992 or the European leg that took place in 1993.

Finally, in looking at the old GNR boxscores I found one that made me laugh.

On March 30, 1993 Guns N Roses played:

THE BRITISH COLUMBIA PLACE STADIUM: 54,500 capacity for football games.

When U2 played this stadium on the 360 tour, 63,802 fans were in attendance.

So how many people attended the mighty Guns N Roses show at the BC Place Stadium on March 30, 1993?

21,308 :wink:

Obviously they should have played the General Motors Arena, now called the Rogers Arena. It can hold 18,500 people for a concert and obviously would have been a far more fitting venue for GNR given their level of popularity.

Well, why would Use Your Illusion be that tour that did have "exact figures" when most if not all, obviously do not?

Who knows why?! But it appears it did.

My source is Billboard Boxscores for GNR shows in stadiums and arena's in North America. What is listed in Billboard Boxscore is a KNOWN FACT!

They're known facts for North American shows, not shows overseas...where GNR are a MUCH larger draw.

The numbers posted on the website have no source at all. They could have been made up or come from anywhere. Perhaps a fans estimate simply based on the known capacity of the venues.

Thats a huge difference and I'm surprised you can't see that.

That's a pretty big accusation. But by all means, if you can PROVE those stats are incorrect, do so.

Well, what makes the information posted on the link "accurate"? Are all fan links accurate?

What makes it inaccurate?

The only indication of that would be that they played mainly stadiums on the Use Your Illusion Tour, but there is little to nothing showing how they did as far as attendance at these stadiums.

So I used the average attendance at METALLICA/GUNS N ROSES stadium shows in North America as a factual basis for estimating attendance at these Guns N Roses Stadium shows.

Note, these were not just GNR shows that I used, but shows with METALLICA and well known opening acts. Obviously Metallica combined with Guns N Roses is a larger draw than Guns N Roses by itself. The attendance for their stadium shows in North America is the factual basis used for estimating GNR attendance at Stadiums outside North America. So the fact that these stadium shows were done with METALLICA makes up for any percieved GNR lack of popularity in North America VS the rest of the world.

Its not perfect, but at least it is based on facts. The link you provided is NOT SOURCED at all. We don't know where those numbers came from. With my estimate, you know it is based on known facts.

Thats a pretty stark difference. Its a bit strange to see you defending the idea that any number posted on any fan link is "accurate", despite not having any sources.

Again, YOUR estimates are based on GNR's North American stats, not shows overseas...where GNR are a MUCH larger draw. We know GNR are a larger draw overseas because we have stats and reports stating this, not to mention the fact that almost EVERY overseas GNR date was a STADIUM date. So for you to say YOUR estimate has factual basis is beyond laughable. :lol:

So what you are saying is that any number posted on any fan link without sources is ACCURATE and should be considered a FACT?

No, I'm not saying that...:doh:

AGAIN, if you can PROVE those stats are incorrect, do so.

So how many people attended the mighty Guns N Roses show at the BC Place Stadium on March 30, 1993?

Obviously they should have played the General Motors Arena, now called the Rogers Arena. It can hold 18,500 people for a concert and obviously would have been a far more fitting venue for GNR given their level of popularity.

BC Place was one of the cancelled shows in the wake of the Montreal riot. GNR returned 8 months later.

GM Place(now Rogers Arena) opened in the fall of 1995. Pacific Coliseum, Vancouvers other hockey rink held 14,000+ for hockey games.

MOGGIO,

Just for the sake of argument, I thought I would use the so called "EXACT" figures provided by the link in producing an estimate. The first was 3,003,086 for the entire year of 1992. The second was 1,167,500 for the European Tour in 1993. Next, I use the KNOWN Boxscore figures from 1991 and 1993. That leaves only a small number of shows from 1991 and 1993 that need to be estimated with the majority of them NOT in stadiums.

The figure I came up with, which includes the two shows at Rock In Rio 1991 even though they were not apart of the tour, was 6.3 million for the 192 shows.

This ironically is lower than their figure of 7 million as well as your figure of 6.5 million.

I still think 6.3 million is an overestimate and 5.8 million or 5.9 million is far more accurate. Once again, there is no source for these alleged "exact" figures for attendance in 1992 or the European leg that took place in 1993.

You ALWAYS low-ball your estimates when discussing other artists. But when it comes to U2, you ALWAYS high-ball them. And your above post is NO surprise.

Regardless, the fact is that GNR's 192-date Use Your Illusion tour is easily one of the three highest attended tours in history.

Are you kidding me? You're comparing a 1993 Use Your Illusion tour date stat to a "strategically scheduled" 360 tour date nearly 20 years later. You know what makes me laugh? The fact that that U2 attendance figure of 63,802 would've been NOWHERE near that if "strategic scheduling" wasn't in place (in this case, not playing the Pacific Northwest AND having the Black Eyed Peas open for them). In fact, it would've been in the 40,000-45,000 range otherwise. And YOU KNOW IT.

And you know what else makes me laugh? The fact that the classic line-up of GNR were only together for about FIVE YEARS before the Use Your Illusion tour began, and yet you're laughing despite the fact that they have one of the three highest attended tours in music history, which included performing SEVERAL DOZEN STADIUM dates.

Keep the BS flyin', Maoil...:lol:

Who knows why?! But it appears it did.
.[/COLOR][/FONT]

It appears it did because of some random unsourced number on a fan link?

They're known facts for North American shows, not shows overseas...where GNR are a MUCH larger draw.

Yes, everyone knows that, BUT in the ABSENCE, of any factual statistics for shows outside of North America, it is the ONLY way to estimate attendance based on KNOWN FACTS! Again, estimates for the stadiums use the COMBINED METALLICA/GUNS N ROSES attendance at stadiums in NORTH AMERICA which makes up for any percieved higher popularity GNR has overseas.

That's a pretty big accusation. But by all means, if you can PROVE those stats are incorrect, do so.

Why would it be incumbent on anyone to prove a random unsourced stat on the internet as being incorrect? Why would you make the central basis of your argument a number that has NO source at all to back it up?

At least I can show that my estimate is based on something factual, which are Billboard Boxscores. What is the factual basis for the number on the fan link?

What makes it inaccurate?

There is no factual basis for the number or source for the number.

Again, YOUR estimates are based on GNR's North American stats, not shows overseas...where GNR are a MUCH larger draw. We know GNR are a larger draw overseas because we have stats and reports stating this, not to mention the fact that almost EVERY overseas GNR date was a STADIUM date. So for you to say YOUR estimate has factual basis is beyond laughable.

My estimates for overseas stadiums are not based on Guns N Roses stats in North America, they are based on METALLICA/GUNS N ROSES dates for stadiums in North America. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE THERE, and it likely gives GNR a higher average attendance level overseas than without.

Playing stadiums overseas is not necessarily an indicator of a dramatic difference in popularity, especially when we don't have any factual statistics for these overseas stadium shows. Most arena's over seas tend to be slightly smaller than US arenas, so your talking 15,000 to 17,000 attendance on average. Playing stadiums can be a time saver. Its easier to play to 135,000 fans in Australia over 3 shows then playing 10 shows.

No, I'm not saying that...

Then why do you keep insisting that the number on the GNR fan link without any sources is accurate?:wink:

BC Place was one of the cancelled shows in the wake of the Montreal riot. GNR returned 8 months later.

So? If Guns N Roses is the mighty and intensely popular rock band that MOGGIO so aggressively insist upon, why are there only 21,308 people in attendance.

You ALWAYS low-ball your estimates when discussing other artists. But when it comes to U2, you ALWAYS high-ball them. And your above post is NO surprise.

[/COLOR][/FONT]

In the above estimate, I actually used the numbers in the random link you sited? How is that "low balling"? All of the 1992 tour figures in the estimate above came from your link. Then nearly of the 1993 stadium shows again come from your random fan link. Whats primarily remaining are North American shows that we have REAL factual information for. There are only a few shows after that they need to be estimated and in those cases where there were stadiums, I used what would be an average from the fan link!

When you do that, the number that comes up is 6.3 million for these 192 shows. Its NOT over 7 million or 6.5 million like you claim.

Are you kidding me? You're comparing a 1993 Use Your Illusion tour date stat to a "strategically scheduled" 360 tour date nearly 20 years later. You know what makes me laugh? The fact that that U2 attendance figure of 63,802 would've been NOWHERE near that if "strategic scheduling" wasn't in place (in this case, not playing the Pacific Northwest AND having the Black Eyed Peas open for them). In fact, it would've been in the 40,000-45,000 range otherwise. And YOU KNOW IT.

:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Yes, U2 did not play the Seattle Washington area on 360 when they played Vancouver, the Seattle show went on sale a few weeks after that show was played.

But guess what, there is NO GNR SHOW in the Seattle Washington area either on the tour leg. GNR played Vancouver on March 30, 1993.

:wink:

Looks like Guns N Roses were getting HOOKED on Strategic Scheduling 15 years before U2 did in this case! LOL

Wow, 45,000 for U2 without strategic scheduling or an opening act in Vancouver! Very impressive compared with 21,308 GNR attendance and no nearby show in Washington State. You've definitely increased your estimates of U2's popularity and drawing power over the past 3 years. Not a surprise really, because the factual success of the 360 tour cannot be denied.

Lets not forget these classic MOGGIO attendance estimates for U2 360 as the tour started:

Dallas 28,000
Charlotesville 31,000
Raleigh 31,000
Houston 31,000
Norman 31,000

MOGGIO actually went into great detail explaining why there would only be 28,000 people at the Dallas show.

After the Boxscores came out, Moggio claims U2 had 70,000 people in attendance because they had underplayed the area on the previous tours, but that does not explain the impact of having a show just north of there in Norman, as well as a huge show in Houston to the south.

Yet, with Madonna, this whole theory of underplaying an area impacting attendance when the area is played again is NEVER used by MOGGIO.

Madonna avoided playing or even coming within 500 miles of the state of Texas for 18 years! She then plays Houston to 41,000 people in 2008, her only show in the state in almost a generation.

But MOGGIO would have everyone assume that is her true drawing power and is not impacted by not having played the state in 18 years or not having any other shows on the tour closer than Atlanta or Denver. :wink: LOL

So? If Guns N Roses is the mighty and intensely popular rock band that MOGGIO so aggressively insist upon, why are there only 21,308 people in attendance.

UYI tour played 5 shows in the Northwest, for U2 it's 2 stadium shows on the 360 tour in the same region.

They played 2 Tacoma shows in 1991, Seattle in October 92 then came back in March 1993 for Vancouver/Portland.

2 shows vs 5 shows would yeild a total attendance within 10-15,000 of each other. it's not a complete landslide.

U2 will play to 120,000 in La Platax3

U2gigs.com photos ? Twitter

So U2 played to 29,468 at BC Place on their Popmart tour, Guns N Roses played to 21,308 on their Use Your Illusion Tour. who cares!? :shrug: the point is GnR's played to 21,308 at the height of their popularity and U2 played to
63,802 now. GnR's couldnt dream of doing that now because they've declined over the years and U2 has inclined over the years. It's partly about integrity of a band and GnR's failed at the years ago. the last video I saw of GnR's was of them being booed off the stage and the audience throwing stuff at them. Why are we comparing U2 to this band!!??

So U2 played to 29,468 at BC Place on their Popmart tour, Guns N Roses played to 21,308 on their Use Your Illusion Tour. who cares!? :shrug: the point is GnR's played to 21,308 at the height of their popularity and U2 played to 63,802 now. GnR's couldnt dream of doing that now because they've declined over the years and U2 has inclined over the years.

The point is that the comparisons can be arbitrary sometimes. U2 have done 90,000 in Vancouver and 5 years later did 29,000.

I think in a couple markets 360 were less than previous tours. Australia is a good example and Dublin was a technicality.

GNR have a single tour total that's bigger than some of u2 biggest tours. They are also one of the most sought after reunions out there right now and they could pick any venues in the world they want.

I understand where you are coming from but U2 as a whole have inclined. you have to look at gross as well. sure they may have played to 90,000 before but was that 90,000 gross as much as the 63,000 gross? I doubt it. U2 also grossed more in Australia this time than they did on the vertigo tour. If ticket prices were cheaper on the 360 tour would they have sold more tickets in Australia and British Columbia? just a thought.

I know for a fact their show in scotland played to less and grossed less than the vertigo tour, but remember there was a soccer match being played that same night as well. that obviously had something to do with it.

Let's put this into perspective. The 360 tour will end up grossing as much as or very close to the popmart tour, elevation tour, and vertigo tour put together. And, 360's attendance will match vertigo and elevation tours put together. that shows an incline in popularity doesnt it?

I liked Guns n Roses back in the day, but until Slash and Axle can get along I don't think we will ever see a reunion tour. Would be nice but the integrity is lacking.

Well Estadio La Plata only has a capacity of 36,000 and by looking at the photos the pitch doesnt look all that big. it is not an olympic pitch like morumbi in brazil. if they sold out 100% of the seats that would leave 12,000 field tickts for the 3 shows or 4,000 per show. the numbers could be higher once the boxscore comes out. these two articles here says u2 played to 82,000 and 79,000 in santiago, but ive seen others say 75,000. when its all said and done they will probably have played to roughly 200,000 between chile and argentina.

CNN - CHILE : CULTURA-ESPECTACULOS

79K Chilean Fans Surrender Under U2� - U2 360 Tour News - U2 360 Tour News, U2 Videos, U2 Music, U2 Concerts, U2 Lyrics, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube

Guess my whole point here is the articles may be close but are only estimations perhaps? :wink:

UYI tour played 5 shows in the Northwest, for U2 it's 2 stadium shows on the 360 tour in the same region.

They played 2 Tacoma shows in 1991, Seattle in October 92 then came back in March 1993 for Vancouver/Portland.

2 shows vs 5 shows would yeild a total attendance within 10-15,000 of each other. it's not a complete landslide.

Your forgetting that U2 is restricted to playing ONLY stadiums in the round on this tour. If not for that, U2 could easily play Portland coliseum in Portland and there would be more people than the 11,543 people that GNR drew at only $25 dollars a ticket.

They could easily play a second show at Qwest Field if they brought in the Dave Matthews Band to open up as The Rolling Stones did in 2006 and have higher attendance than the METALLICA/Guns N Roses show there in October 1992.

I'm sure U2 could have played the Tacoma dome as well especially at the capacity level GNR used, 25,373 for TWO shows?!?!

Finally, if we were to compare this the MOGGIO way using GROSS as opposed to Attendance, the landslide would only increase. Adjusting for inflation would lessen it, but it would still big a bigger landslide than just comparing attendance.

The point is that the comparisons can be arbitrary sometimes. U2 have done 90,000 in Vancouver and 5 years later did 29,000.

I think in a couple markets 360 were less than previous tours. Australia is a good example and Dublin was a technicality.

GNR have a single tour total that's bigger than some of u2 biggest tours. They are also one of the most sought after reunions out there right now and they could pick any venues in the world they want.

Uh, it was 77,000 to 78,000 in 1992 for U2 in Vancouver, NOT 90,000. In addition, on ZOO TV, the Seattle shows were in the Spring, while the Vancouver show was in the fall.

Remember, we actually don't know what GNR's tour total for UYI is actually. You have to remember they had a lower ticket price and got a large chunk of their attendance from touring with Metallica. I think its time we put all the boxscores that we do have for attendance together to remind people what is factually KNOWN as opposed to what is being estimated.

For the LAST time, if Maoil can PROVE the Use Your Illusion tour stats I've provided are incorrect, do so. I'm not going to go around in circles anymore.

It's a FACT that GNR's '91-'93 192-date Use Your Illusion tour was easily one of the three highest attended tours in music history. This is exceptionally impressive considering that GNR were only together for about FIVE YEARS before this tour began. No one here is stating that GNR are a larger draw than U2 worldwide. The debate was over the total attendance of their Use Your Illusion tour. However, if the classic GNR line-up were to reform and tour, they would definitely gross over $300 million, if 100 dates were scheduled (and even outdraw U2 in Japan and possibly in a few South American markets).

It's also a FACT that my prediction for the first North American 360 tour leg was only roughly $6 million off from the actual total that U2 grossed. Maoil can nitpick all he wants at the few markets where I was wrong (like he annoyingly continues to do so) but the OVERALL figure is what really counts.

As far as Madonna is concerned: I've NEVER said or implied her underplaying or not playing a market didn't have some kind of affect as to what her draw would be on any current tour. And the reason why Madonna's demand levels for the markets she now plays frequently do not increase, is strictly because she plays them virtually every other year and has for the past 10 years. The same thing has happened for U2 on their 360 tour. They have played or are going to play ONE show return engagements (with the exception of Metro LA because of the abnormal size of the Rose Bowl) in Paris, Toronto, Chicago, Metro NYC/NJ and Metro Washington, DC. Whereas, on U2's first trips through these markets 1-2 years ago, they were playing TWO shows in each market (with the exception of Metro Washington, DC because of the abnormal size of FedEx Field). And hence demand is basically HALF of what it was on their first trips through.

Dave Matthews Band didn't add that much of an increase to The Stones' Qwest Field show in the fall of 2006, since DMB played three nights at the Gorge Amphitheater less than two months beforehand.

U2 DID sell over 90,000 tickets in Vancouver on the ZOO TV tour. 15,000 at the final first leg date in April 1992 and nearly 80,000 for two shows at BC Place Stadium in November 1992.

As far as the 360 tour reaching an $800 million ticket sales gross is concerned: we should all know by now that's not going to happen. However, towards the end of U2's next tour (which will probably be in 2015), an $800 million ticket sales gross total will be achievable...but only with plenty of "strategic scheduling" and major ARENA openers included.

And once again, The Rolling Stones are STILL the largest active touring band in the world. They don't have a big lead on U2 but it is a lead nonetheless.

And I'd like to thank U2FanPeter for continuing to put Maoil in his place, where he belongs.

Well Estadio La Plata only has a capacity of 36,000 and by looking at the photos the pitch doesnt look all that big. it is not an olympic pitch like morumbi in brazil. if they sold out 100% of the seats that would leave 12,000 field tickts for the 3 shows or 4,000 per show. the numbers could be higher once the boxscore comes out. these two articles here says u2 played to 82,000 and 79,000 in santiago, but ive seen others say 75,000. when its all said and done they will probably have played to roughly 200,000 between chile and argentina.

CNN - CHILE : CULTURA-ESPECTACULOS

79K Chilean Fans Surrender Under U2� - U2 360 Tour News - U2 360 Tour News, U2 Videos, U2 Music, U2 Concerts, U2 Lyrics, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube

Guess my whole point here is the articles may be close but are only estimations perhaps? :wink:

Actually, La Plata´s stadium has a capacity of 53,000. 36,000 are the number of seats not the total capacity. I say the grand total for the three concerts in La Plata will be around 160,000-170,000

Your forgetting that U2 is restricted to playing ONLY stadiums in the round on this tour. If not for that, U2 could easily play Portland coliseum in Portland and there would be more people than the 11,543 people that GNR drew at only $25 dollars a ticket.

I'm sure U2 could have played the Tacoma dome as well especially at the capacity level GNR used, 25,373 for TWO shows?!?!

There's several instances of 360 playing the 2nd/3rd largest stadium in a region, Nashville in particular not playing the 80k college football venue.

At least GNR didn't go 20 years skipping Portland like U2, plus U2 also short-shifted the entire northwest by only playing 1 show between 1984-1992. Almost 12k is pretty good for a THIRD visit to the Northwest(something u2 has never done in one tour cycle) and you fail to mention that number is more or less a sell out in the biggest possibly venue in the state for March show. Rose Garden wasn't opened until later in 1993 and Oregon stadium shows aren't very common for noise issues.

Where do you get 25,000 for GNR at Tacoma Dome x 2? A single show could hold that many people. Wiki has 21k for the 1st show and no number for the 2nd. Youtube has an audience shot video from the 1st night.

I understand where you are coming from but U2 as a whole have inclined. you have to look at gross as well. sure they may have played to 90,000 before but was that 90,000 gross as much as the 63,000 gross? I doubt it. U2 also grossed more in Australia this time than they did on the vertigo tour. If ticket prices were cheaper on the 360 tour would they have sold more tickets in Australia and British Columbia? just a thought.

Let's put this into perspective. The 360 tour will end up grossing as much as or very close to the popmart tour, elevation tour, and vertigo tour put together. And, 360's attendance will match vertigo and elevation tours put together. that shows an incline in popularity doesnt it?

Haven't LN used variable price tiering on the 360 tour to some degree? Hold back sections from 1st onsale and decide later if they are $90 or $30? This is why some city price average are $25 or more than other city averages. They sold garbage balcony seats in Soldier stadium for $90 that were a third the price elsewhere in the US. LN knows that since they have 4-5 price ranges fans can't figure out the exact tiering breakdown using algebra(I think it can be done with 3 or less tiers). Also, Australia couldn't sell the cheapest seats that were cheaper than Vertigo in the same venues.

360 equalling attendance/$$ for 3 past tours is impressive. 2001 was 8-9 months, 2005/1997 were 10-12 months worth of work. 360 tour is over 3 calandar years, giving Europe and US a decent amount of time to replenish demand within many regions.

"Popularity" is a funny description when comparing sales of $100(average) tickets to $10-15 cds. Or No Line selling a FRACTION of recent past albums. Fans are older and similar size to 1987/1992 and more willing to spend disposable income.

although in reality they're playing the college football stadium, although it is smaller than the pro football stadium in town....which still isn't 80k.

69k seats plus GA in a complete sellout is more or less 80k.

In the Nashville region, u2 chose a venue that had a possible capacity 30,000 less than the biggest available stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom