American Music Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Just noticed many of the nominees for the American Music Awards. There are only 3 nominees in each catagory. The American Music Awards claim that "Nominees were chosen on the basis of record sales"

But take a look at the nominees for top band or group of the year:

Green Day
Black Eyed Pees
3 Doors Down

Ok, the Green Day nomination is obvious, but the Black Eyed Pees and 3 Doors Down albums are only certified platinum, while HTDAAB is certified at triple Platinum, so U2 should have been one of the nominees. Oh the awards are not only for American artist as Coldplay is nominated in the alternative catagory. Speaking of Coldplay and X&Y, that album is double platinum and should also have been nominated ahead of 3 Doors Down and Black Eyed Pees.

Talk about a rigged awards show. Criteria for nomination should be "who ever we choose regardless of record sales".

ah, i had always thought it was only for american artists, but you point out that coldplay was nominated.

kind of funny

The nominations for the AMAs, if I'm not mistaken, are based on a survey of the record-buying public. I'm sure U2 was listed by folks, just not in the top three. Perhaps they were nominated in 2004 when Vertigo was released, since that was a massive hit. I think the lack of major airplay here in the US for many of the remaining singles releases (ABOY, SYCMIOYO, and COBL) hurt.

u2mad25 said:
The nominations for the AMAs, if I'm not mistaken, are based on a survey of the record-buying public. I'm sure U2 was listed by folks, just not in the top three. Perhaps they were nominated in 2004 when Vertigo was released, since that was a massive hit. I think the lack of major airplay here in the US for many of the remaining singles releases (ABOY, SYCMIOYO, and COBL) hurt.

Actually the nominations are supposed to be based on sales according to the website. Who wins the awards is based on the survey of the record buying public. So, because the nominations are based on sales, U2 should have been nominated in several catagories. Winning the award though would depend on the votes of people in the survey.

I'm not sure Vertigo made the cut off date to be eligible last year. The album surely did not as it was not even in the stores when last years awards were held.

Just thinking out loud here, but does the website indicate that the nominations are based on sales for only the album? If they are including sales of hit singles off the album as well, I could see why the Black Eyed Peas would be on there.

phanan said:
Just thinking out loud here, but does the website indicate that the nominations are based on sales for only the album? If they are including sales of hit singles off the album as well, I could see why the Black Eyed Peas would be on there.

It actually does not say, but albums sell a lot more than singles, so the album sales would have to play a major factor. HTDAAB has sold 3 times as many copies as the Black Eyed Peas album and the 3 Doors Down Album in the USA.

I wonder if they are factoring in sales of the previous Black Eyed Peas album as well.

But regardless, it still doesn't make any sense, and I've never really paid much attention to this award show.

Back
Top Bottom