NFL Thread II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sports gambling is legal now in DC but I still use offshore because the odds at the local books suck.

Example

Bengals are +210 ML for Thursday on BetOnline... they're +190 in DC (controlled by the lottery).

Taking points - Bengals +6.5 is -125 in DC and -110 on BetOnline.

Playing local is like playing 6:5 blackjack. The average sucker doesn't realize they're getting hosed, or it doesn't seem like enough of a difference to care - but in the long run it's a significant difference.

I do sometimes feel like Marty Byrde when I have to make a donation or withdrawal - but the extra hassle of transferring money from my bank account to pay pal to bitcoin to BetOnline is worth it for the better odds.

So we can bet on Michael Bloomberg and the Miami Heat at the same time?
Bloomberg would be a prop bet, so no.

But you could conceivably bet on the Heat and the Dolphins to both win (or lose) in the same bet.

Or you could take your weekly interference pick'em picks and put them into one big parlay.

So here's an example.

If I pick the Mets, Marlins and Red Sox to all win today I can do it one of two ways.

Let's say I'm starting with a bankroll of $30.

If I bet them all individually - $10 bucks on each team - if all three teams hit i win $21.16 plus my original wager.

If I take that $30 and parlay them instead and all three teams hit the payout is $118.56 plus the original wager.

But if one of the teams lose, I lose the entire thing - whereas if you bet them individually and one team loses, you could still win the other two bets.

So that's why someone who's trying to actually make a living would bet more on individual lines and try to grind out a profit vs the average schmuck with some disposable income trying to make a quick hit for shits and giggles.

Last edited:
Sports gambling is legal now in DC but I still use offshore because the odds at the local books suck.

Example

Bengals are +210 ML for Thursday on BetOnline... they're +190 in DC (controlled by the lottery).

Taking points - Bengals +6.5 is -125 in DC and -110 on BetOnline.

Playing local is like playing 6:5 blackjack. The average sucker doesn't realize they're getting hosed, or it doesn't seem like enough of a difference to care - but in the long run it's a significant difference.

I do sometimes feel like Marty Byrde when I have to make a donation or withdrawal - but the extra hassle of transferring money from my bank account to pay pal to bitcoin to BetOnline is worth it for the better odds.

yeah i started out playing pro-line until i realized how awful the odds are. i switched to the pools because it's only $5 a ticket and it's just picking winners straight-up, so there's no odds-making shenanigans involved.

plus the amount that you can win on a $5 bet makes it much more worthwhile - that $13k win covered every penny i have ever spent gambling in my entire life put together and then some :up:

A parlay is a specific bet - where you choose multiple outcomes and every one of them has to happen for you to win.

It is, honestly, a shitty way to gamble and people who actually make a living doing this don't do parlays. But for the average Joe it's fun because I can win like 3 grand if my dopey one dollar 16 team parlay hits.

yeah its all about the low risk/high reward but as you said the odds suck.
For instance on that 6-teamer, I had a 1/64 odds of picking all of the games right, and the payout was only 44:1.

I got pretty lucky on that questionable PI call in the Dallas game, and luckily got the Titans at +2.5 because I made the bet three weeks ago when I was in Nevada.

Still, that $900 probably covers my gambling losses over the last five years. Not bad.

You and I live different lives

Ha I'm sure we do, in more ways than just gambling.

My peak betting days were from about 2005 to 2012. Once I started making higher salaries, the risk/reward wasn't worth it to me anymore. Winning $500 was nice, but losing $500 would still ruin my weekend. My gambling friends getting married and moving away also contributed. I only make bets about once or twice a year now.

I did have a pretty crazy run in 2011 where I won about $15k in two months by making $500 to $2000 single game bets. I picked 13 of 15 MNF games right ATS that year. I've won $500 3-team parlays, $200 4-teamers...and of course lost a shit ton too.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the kind of hit that everybody dreams of.

i ended up going 15-1 that week in interference pick 'em because i couldn't remember who i picked for one of the games on my ticket, and was too lazy to get up and get my wallet to check so i just took a guess.

Bloomberg would be a prop bet, so no.

But you could conceivably bet on the Heat and the Dolphins to both win (or lose) in the same bet.

Or you could take your weekly interference pick'em picks and put them into one big parlay.

So here's an example.

If I pick the Mets, Marlins and Red Sox to all win today I can do it one of two ways.

Let's say I'm starting with a bankroll of $30.

If I bet them all individually - $10 bucks on each team - if all three teams hit i win $21.16 plus my original wager.

If I take that $30 and parlay them instead and all three teams hit the payout is $118.56 plus the original wager.

But if one of the teams lose, I lose the entire thing - whereas if you bet them individually and one team loses, you could still win the other two bets.

So that's why someone who's trying to actually make a living would bet more on individual lines and try to grind out a profit vs the average schmuck with some disposable income trying to make a quick hit for shits and giggles.

Who the fuck would ever bet on the Marlins and the Mets at the same time?

Not too many times you come away from a loss feeling ok about things, but from what I saw tonight, reports of the Pats demise appear to be premature.

Buffalo will be tough, but I think it will be a close battle for the division.

That was a good game. Glad we came out on top but Newton looked pretty solid. I think the Pats will definitely get a wild card spot unless something crazy happens.

So, think the Vikings are pleased with their investment in Kirk Cousins?
Must be real happy they extended him an extra 2 years this spring so he wouldn't be playing for a new contract this season and possibly leave after 2020.
15.9 passer rating yesterday.
Woof.

I get that the Bills are good and I get that the Pats had a few players opt out - but I do not understand whatsoever the anointing of Buffalo as the de facto division favorite over a team that has one 90 straight division titles and upgraded their quarterback.

Like - did anyone actually watch Brady play last year?

His accuracy actually looks fine. It’s his decision making that has been awful. His passes aren’t errant, they’re just thrown into traffic etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom