Mlb 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AgitatedFailingCuttlefish-small.gif

Harper got a lot more years and a lot lower average annual value than I thought he’d get. I was predicting he’d get 8/300 or so.

Same.

I thought sure the goal would be both highest contract total ever and highest AAV for a position player, after the Arenado signing assumed the 13 yrs was probably a mistake in the initial report and it was 10 yrs and 330M.
Boras is slipping.

I feel like the Marlins are going to lose 120 games this year solely based on the fact that the rest of the NL East is incredibly stacked.

Easily the best division in baseball right now.

I'd say it's the most competitive division in baseball (along with NL Central), but the AL East is still stronger given how Boston and New York project as 2 of the best 3 teams in MLB, and the Rays are pretty good. The Blue Jays won't be awful once they decide not to be cheap bastards and play Vlad Jr. But yeah, the NL East fight should be great.

The AL Central (and in fact the AL as a whole minus 4 teams) is an embarrassment though.

Last edited:
The Blue Jays won't be awful once they decide not to be cheap bastards and play Vlad Jr.

lol it's the blue jays, they'll figure out a way to still be awful and waste several years of his career before he bolts for the dodgers, i'm sure.

The Blue Jays won't be awful once they decide not to be cheap bastards and play Vlad Jr. But yeah, the NL East fight should be great.

Zips has the Blue Jays projected to win 75 games. That’s with Vlad Jr projected 4 WAR. To even get the team to .500, he’d have to be peak Mike Trout.

Zips has the Blue Jays projected to win 75 games. That’s with Vlad Jr projected 4 WAR. To even get the team to .500, he’d have to be peak Mike Trout.

Which is bad, but not awful awful like Orioles/Marlins. My point still stands. AL East is projected as a division to win more games than most other divisions, including NL East.

Which is bad, but not awful awful like Orioles/Marlins. My point still stands. AL East is projected as a division to win more games than most other divisions, including NL East.

Yeah, the AL East sure has two good teams.

I think the top 2 teams in the AL East are, on paper, better than the teams in the NL East... but the NL East is deeper.

3 NL East teams are in the top 10 on FanGraphs, and a 4th is sitting just behind them in 12th.

2 AL East teams are in the bottom 10 vs just The Captain and the Teal for the NL East

Last edited:
I think the Rays suffer a bit from having to play New York and Boston 36 times, otherwise they'd be on par with those NL East teams.

The NL Central should also be pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Something I did not realize: the Mets have won more playoff series than any other NL East team this decade.

I think the Rays suffer a bit from having to play New York and Boston 36 times, otherwise they'd be on par with those NL East teams.

The NL Central should also be pretty interesting.

Here’s an example of why I think you’re wrong:

The 2019 Mets project to have 13 players put up 2+ fWAR. Two of those project to put up 3-4 fWAR. One projects to 5+.

The 2019 Rays project to have 5 players put up 2+ fWAR. Only one of those projects to put up more than 3 fWAR.

So ZiPS thinks they would not be on par.

Here’s an example of why I think you’re wrong:

The 2019 Mets project to have 13 players put up 2+ fWAR. Two of those project to put up 3-4 fWAR. One projects to 5+.

The 2019 Rays project to have 5 players put up 2+ fWAR. Only one of those projects to put up more than 3 fWAR.

So ZiPS thinks they would not be on par.

I mean, the Rays are projected for 83 wins and the Mets for 84, so :shrug:

I mean, the Rays are projected for 83 wins and the Mets for 84, so :shrug:

The weird thing about that? The ZiPS for the Mets has them at ~41 WAR and the Rays at ~36 WAR. So I’m not sure how he gets them to only a game apart unless he takes divisional competition into it. The AL East has a team with the second lowest projected WAR, and another in the bottom 10 while the NL East has a team with the lowest (by a single WAR!), but everyone else in the top 15.

So yeah, the AL East has two great teams, one pretty good team with an outside shot at a second wild card if everything breaks right, and two bad teams. The NL East has 4 very good but not elite teams and one bad team. I guess it just depends on if you consider a division better that has two of the best or if you consider a division better than has multiple teams with lower ceilings but higher floors.

Last edited:
I'd say the NL Central is the best division in baseball. As much as that pains me.

It’s definitely close.

AL Central is garbage. AL West is a bit better because of the Astros. And the NL West is better than the AL West.

Top three are definitely NL Central, East, and AL East in some order.

I'm actually quite bullish on the Mets. They really had one horrible month last year (5-21 in June).

The rest of the year they were 72-64, and that's including the end of May where their June slide began.

Obviously health plays the biggest role, but if they can keep the rotation healthy for most of the year and get into the playoffs, they're gonna be a tough out.

The weird thing about that? The ZiPS for the Mets has them at ~41 WAR and the Rays at ~36 WAR. So I’m not sure how he gets them to only a game apart unless he takes divisional competition into it. The AL East has a team with the second lowest projected WAR, and another in the bottom 10 while the NL East has a team with the lowest (by a single WAR!), but everyone else in the top 15.

I rarely look at projected team WAR totals, as I think Fangraphs itself suggests that it is not directly translatable to projections. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I think it's related to playing time, as it often includes projections for players that are not expected to be part of the 25-man roster. It also doesn't include strength of schedule, which I think the Projected Standings include.

I rarely look at projected team WAR totals, as I think Fangraphs itself suggests that it is not directly translatable to projections. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I think it's related to playing time, as it often includes projections for players that are not expected to be part of the 25-man roster. It also doesn't include strength of schedule, which I think the Projected Standings include.

Yeah, I moved to ZiPS depth chart when talking about actual expected team WAR. That one takes into account playing time.

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=12

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=25

I think it’s gotta be a combination of WAR and strength of schedule to get the projected wins, or the Mets would have a 5 win advantage over the Rays. Braves would have a 2 win advantage. Nationals would have an 11 win advantage. Phillies would have a 6 win advantage.

I think the Rays must get their projection win boost from WAR+replacement value through the fact that they get to play the Blue Jays and the Orioles a lot of times (and are in the same league as the AL Central).

I have a hunch that the Phillies will get off to a slow start that they will have to dig themselves out of. There are a bunch of new pieces to account for and the most public of them won't have a full spring training. Plus, Kapler is a fuckstick and I could imagine things going off the rails a bit with him and their notoriously impatient fans if everything isn't peachy.

If they do struggle at first, they'll turn it around though. Too much talent not to come out looking good after 162 games.

Yeah, Bryce should be able to do a lot of damage in right field. The NL should have a DH by the time he's old so maybe he can contribute there once his defense falls off completely (it's already getting to be a liability).

Nats Park is NOT hitter friendly and the FO has wisely built a team that's all about contact and speed with the likes of Trea Turner and Victor Robles being basepath terrors. Unfortunately, our coaching could use an upgrade. Bob Henley is a dumbass and has some all-time bad sends on his resume.

Back
Top Bottom