MLB 2017 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, if Girardi wasn't such a fool, the Yankees could have closed out this series tonight, which seems miraculous. I'm not sure how much faith to have in Sabathia for the rematch but the Indians have to be reeling right now considering the high they were on when the playoffs started.

I won't forgive Girardi for that fuck up, but it's difficult to say whether they would have finished things today if the series had been tied 1-1. Francona would have approached these games differently.

Anyways, pretty happy with sending the series back to Cleveland. Tanaka and Sevy were fantastic. It's a shame Dellin remains so unstable, but the bullpen trinity of Green/Robertson/Chapman will be well rested, and they can have Gray available if CC doesn't have it.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Astros' pitching can hold up to any of these two teams.

Don’t want to jinx this
But 3 outs away for L A.

Yu had good stuff tonight
Walker, well he got on base after really getting hit.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Astros' pitching can hold up to any of these two teams.

They've got a 1-2 punch of Verlander and Keuchel at the top of the rotation, and their lineup is stacked, so don't overlook them.
Verlander went 5-0 with a 1.06 ERA in his 5 starts after the trade. 43 K's in 34 IP. Looks like 2011 Verlander.

Strasburg pitching 7 scoreless after the media shit on him was one of the most badass things I've seen on a baseball field. The guy significantly improved his legacy in one game.

Will the franchise as a whole? I doubt it. This team has seen enough game 5 NLDS collapses to trust they'll sack up and accomplish anything when it matters most. But game 4 was pretty awesome.

I pegged Cleveland for the World Series this season. Especially after their record breaking winning streak.

So many asshole Yankee fans out there calling for Girardi to be fired after his "mistake". Never thinking once of who could possibly replace the guy. Thankfully, the Yankees won and shut that shit down...for now.

Dodgers/Astros please, for the love of God. I can't take obnoxious Yankee bandwagon nation, plus another postseason of casuals pretending they've been long-suffering Cubs fans all their lives. The celebrity "fan" circus, the feelgood stories about old people clinging to life to experience a World Series. What a fucking nightmare.

Also, fuck the Nats. They're not even worth analysis at this point. Just choking losers whose own fear compounds with each passing opportunity.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Braves lost the NLDS five years out of six and four times in a row at one point (they've lost their last six NLDS attempts), despite stellar pitching, so it's not like our level of playoff failure is unprecedented for the sport.

I could have been a Cubs fan, so easily. Hell, I'm a diehard Blackhawks fan and they've given me the only real pride I've had as a sports fan. But I just had to see that stupid, amazing Stephen Strasburg debut when I was impressionable. Oh well. Rest assured I'll be ready for more suffering and misery when the time comes.

I pegged Cleveland for the World Series this season. Especially after their record breaking winning streak.

So many asshole Yankee fans out there calling for Girardi to be fired after his "mistake". Never thinking once of who could possibly replace the guy. Thankfully, the Yankees won and shut that shit down...for now.
To be fair, Girardi is awful.

I would very much doubt he will be sacked. I bet they renew his contract this offseason.

On one hand, you could feel bad for Cleveland fans. On the other, they still have that recent NBA title, and any Indians fan or player who isn't vocally speaking out against that racist logo doesn't get any sympathy from me.

Fuck that team. They're the true villains of MLB, not the Yankees.

He won't be fired now, obviously.

He should, as he stinks. But he won't.

I don't love Girardi, but to say he stinks is a gross exaggeration. Have you seen the managers that are out there? He's closer to top than bottom. My main complaints about him are that he has an obvious fetish for backup catchers (having been one himself), which among other things led him to throw Gary under the bus a little (failing to acknowledge that by any reasonable measure Sanchez is a better defender than Romine, who is awful). And he's way too reactive on bullpen management, freaking out too quickly (although he is generally ok in bringing his right relievers at the right time).

He also seems much better than average on stuff that is hard to measure/know, like handling a clubhouse.

The Yankees could do better, but he does not stink (that is a more apt description of the other former manager across town, which I'm sure you'll agree with).

Last edited:

Only 2 games in, so still early, but the Astros pitching is holding up pretty well to the New Millennium Murder's Row...18 IP, 2 ER, 27K's, not too shabby.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Who knows what happens if Maddon doesn't put Lackey in for relief in Game 2, but bottom line is that you can't go too far in the postseason with cold bats.

At least the fucking Indians were eliminated first.

As a fan of baseball history, a Yankees vs. Dodgers WS is a pretty great showdown. Hope that's what happens.

Poor Dusty. Always the scapegoat.

Yankees had a surprisingly deep run this year. Next season, they can only get better. I think Girardi will remain with the team. Plus, will Tanaka opt out? Will Frazier re-sign? Will they trade Headley?

Suppose I'll be rooting for the 'Stros. AL, represent! Plus, the Yankees will look better for at least losing to the WS Champion. :wink:

Would be good for Houston to win after all the flooding this year, similar to Boston in 2013.

Yes, that would be cool.

Plus, Carlos Beltran has been around forever and he's never won.

I've got some U2/Facebook friends in LA, so if the Bums won I would be happy for them. It's been 29 years. Lol!

The Dodgers are my second team after the Cubs (I've been living blocks away from the stadium for 11 years), but it's been hard since the teams have been facing each other in the playoffs the last 5 years or so. Dodgers swept the Cubs in the Division Series two years in a row IIRC, then that punishing Cubs triumph last year in the NLCS, and the equally punishing reversal this year.

I did see a Dodger game in person this year so I'll feel like less of a bandwagoner if I manage to get invested before the series is over.

Back
Top Bottom