It's college basketball season...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In case you missed...your #1 team in the land hosts Syracuse on Wednesday, followed by Carolina-Duke. Good night on ESPN.

we won 60-58. :hi5: bob hurley was not so happy.

cheek, the #5 ranked senior in the nation, was pretty much a non-factor... our sophomore outplayed him big time. low and behold... 8:05 this morning, jay wright's on the phone just checking in to see how we're doing and to congratulate. he hasn't called in like a year, coincidence i'm sure.

St. Anthony loss is first at CERC since '03
Posted by Jacob Kamaras February 10, 2009 10:56PM
Categories: Boys Basketball

Tuesday night's matchup between St. Anthony and Long Island Lutheran was taped by the Long-Island based Sports Webcasting Network, but it might have been better suited for The History Channel.

Lutheran's Tobias Harris blocked Derek Williams inside on the final possession of the game, handing the Friars their first home defeat in six years with a 60-58 loss at the C.E.R.C. in Jersey City.

St. Anthony's last home setback came in January 2003 against Life Center Academy, coach Bob Hurley said. Though flyers were handed out to the crowd with instructions on how to buy a DVD of the game, it's safe to say that Friars fans won't be making the purchase.

"This year is now in a free-fall. We are not used to this," Hurley said. "It's not whether you win or lose, it's playing to your potential, and anybody observing us sees a total lack of poise."

Yes, the Friars' 18-4 record wouldn't be a free-fall for most teams, but it does qualify as a drop-off for the defending national champions. Heading into the NJSIAA tournament, Hurley is concerned with how his team performed coming off Monday night's impressive 68-47 road win over Elizabeth, and said he will consider promoting several members of the junior varsity team in time for the postseason.

"We don't have the level of maturity to take Elizabeth yesterday and beat them by 20, and then come home tonight and be able to just play," Hurley said. "This was our week to simulate how the state tournament might turn out, and it's not a good sign."

"I think it's about time for a shake-up," he added.

St. Anthony fell behind by seven points with 4:28 remaining on a 3-pointer from Tyler Harris. Devon Collier's turnaround bank shot made the score 52-48, and Elijah Carter pulled the Friars within 58-57 on a 3 from the right wing.

Tobias Harris failed to seal the game with four missed free throws in the final minute, but redeemed himself by denying Williams' attempt with two seconds left to preserve the win.
"I knew Derek was going to go up strong, and I just timed it up perfectly and got the block," Harris said.

After scoring 20 points in a fast-paced first quarter, the Friars' offense was stagnant for the rest of the night thanks to sticky man-to-man defense from the Crusaders. St. Anthony's post players missed a slew of close shots inside, and Villanova-bound guard Dominic Cheek went 1-for-10 from 3-point range.

"Some of the things we are doing are not characteristic of a good team, and certainly not a St. Anthony team," Hurley said.

Lutheran trailed by one point at the half, but Kevin Johnson tied the scored at 33 with a 3-pointer from the left corner and put the Crusaders ahead 38-35 with a pull-up jumper. E.J. Parry's putback at the third-quarter buzzer gave Lutheran even more momentum heading into the fourth.

For those interested in seeing that dramatic play, as well as the rest of this historic Friars' loss, copies of the DVD are available at SWN - Sports Webcasting Network - The Stream!.

ST. ANTHONY (18-4) -- D'Marcus Owens 0-1-0-3, Dominic Cheek 4-1-0-11, Derek Williams 1-0-1-3, Jamee Jackson 0-0-5-5, Devon Collier 4-1-1-12, Matt Rista 0, Travis Conyers 0, Ashton Pankey 4-0-0-8, Devone McLeod 0-1-0-3, Elijah Carter 2-2-3-13. Totals 15-6-10-58.
L.I. LUTHERAN (13-8) -- Malachi Davis 0, Mike Florin 0, Tobias Harris 2-1-4-11, Tyler Harris 0-1-0-3, Kevin Johnson 4-1-2-13, Derek Klein 2-1-1-8, E.J. Parry 1-0-0-2, Shamar Stephen 0, Achraf Yocoubou 7-2-3-23.
St. Anthony20 8 11 19 -- 58
L.I. Lutheran16 11 15 18 -- 60

:hi5:

Nice,

but isn't having him:
Fresh%2B%26%2BEasy%2BKevin%2BJohnson%2BPic.bmp

on your team a bit of an unfair advantage over high school kids?

Damn. I was really rooting for Northwestern this year, after going to one of their games in December.

Fucking duke. You live by the three you die by the three.

I love it, absolutely love it. It probably made sense to root for Duke in that one since they were sure to lose at Chapel Hill later...but it's Duke, so forget that. Seeing the most irritating fans in college sports silenced was a bonus.

Jerome Dyson, out for the season for UCONN. Torn meniscus.

That hurts. Not as bad as last year when it was Price, but it hurts.

^ True...I think it's 3 or 4 in a row for UNC at Cameron.

Carolina reminds me a lot of that '06 UConn team that lost to GMU. I think they pretty clearly have the best talent but their focus is a question...I still think they win it all in the end, but if they get picked off by a lesser team I wouldn't be at all shocked.

Good for PC, quality win, helps those NCAA chances too.

WOW! Congrats (belated).

Have I asked if there are any other Hurleys (besides dad) in the St. Anthony's gym anymore?

gracias.

and no... danny is the head coach at st. benedicts, which has become quite the national power in their own right. they're actually ranked higher than dad's team this year both in state and in USA Today. they've never played each other and don't want to.

i don't know what bobby is doing.

gracias.

and no... danny is the head coach at st. benedicts, which has become quite the national power in their own right. they're actually ranked higher than dad's team this year both in state and in USA Today. they've never played each other and don't want to.

i don't know what bobby is doing.

I remember Danny at the Hall. I miss Seton Hall being good, some fun games. Danny, Terry Dehere, Karnishovas (sp???)...poor Danny, we used to boo the crap out of him just because he was Bobby's brother and everybody hated Duke, basically Christian Laettner was getting Danny Hurley booed. Bizarre.

i'm going to stop posting about my complete hatred for haseem thabeet based soley on the fact that if i continue this line of posting it's inevitable that the knicks will end up drafting him.

Quiet night for your boy last night...but Price shot the lights out. Thabeet is actually getting better, I actually saw him hit 2 jumpers this season. I'm not sure he'll be around when the Knicks pick, plus he doesn't really seem like a D'antoni guy; I think you're safe.

when i was at the high school i was an assistant at before i was at the one i'm at now we played A.J. Price's Amityville team in the county finals... were up at the half, lost it in the end. very disapointing. i never thought Price would become the player he is now... i didn't think he was that good in high school. frankly our player out played him in that game and he was only a high d2 player.

shows what can happen when someone actually stays for 4 years.

Yea Price definitely benefited from the extra time (I think it might actually be 5 years).

I can understand why guys leave...if you're broke and you've got all kinds of entourage/leech types telling you you can be a lottery pick and a millionaire, not sure I could turn that down. But when they're so raw that they can't get on the court in the NBA it just kills their career.

Monumental upset yesterday, DePaul over Cinci. Amazing that a team can be winless since December and 0-18 in conference play, and go out and win a tournament game. And they've led PC most of the way today...in a must-win for Providence.

Nova made every attempt to blow the game against Marquette, and still managed to pull it out at the last second.

Back
Top Bottom