The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one's getting worked up about three dimes, but think of what the ramifications of a 30% price hike are in the long term. It's still turning a $9.99 iTunes album into a $12.99 one. Apply the same principle to the inevitable 2xLP, which would likely land somewhere around the $25 area. Suddenly you have a $32.50 album.

It's about the greater trends here.

That album cover's pretty hideous. I can't say I understand the trend of musicians creating album covers with just as much weird and unintelligible shit as possible thrown together with some B-grade graphic design.

Four songs, all strong. Embryonic is shaping up to be excellent. Love the cover, but shame about the two week delay. I'm sure it'll leak sooner.

So, has anybody else heard the B-sides from Embryonic? They were released along with the first 3 song EP.

3 more songs:
"Anything You Say Now, I Believe You" - Loving this track a lot. It's classic existential Flaming Lips. And, its instrumentation is mostly acoustic noodling, which is awesome.

"UFOs Over Baghdad" - Starts out with "Taps," which they've been doing live as a tribute for awhile now, at least at two of the shows I saw last year. Pretty lush-sounding, similar to how the Soft Bulletin was. Wayne's voice sounds particularly good too, which is a nice change.

"What Does It Mean?" - Has a nice driving bass line and talks about infinity and death wishes.

All in all, I might like these songs better than the ones we've got from the album already. Mostly though, it's just making me even more anxious for Embryonic to drop.

I've been trying to find the setlist from Friday's Seattle show. I know the new song they played was the one with "Hex" in the title. It was good.

Looking forward to having a recording of the show, and am anxiously awaiting my email telling me it's available to download.

I think the album cover is both horrifying and ugly.

"Convinced of the Hex," you mean.

Honestly, the four songs we've heard so far are quite good, with two being quite great. This album is going to kill it.

Yes, that's the one. It was on the tip of my tongue, I swear!

I downloaded the b-sides the other day but haven't listened to them yet. I did, however, give At War With the Mystics another chance this weekend, and I like it more than I thought I did.

Seeing some of the songs live will do that. :up:

I've been trying to find the setlist from Friday's Seattle show. I know the new song they played was the one with "Hex" in the title. It was good.

Looking forward to having a recording of the show, and am anxiously awaiting my email telling me it's available to download.

I think the album cover is both horrifying and ugly.

Did Wayne ride on the shoulders of a gorilla (well, a man in a gorilla suit) at all? He did that at Pitchfork during one of the new songs.

I really love that they're including recordings of the shows with ticket sales, and I hope they continue to do so for tours in the future.

It's a bizarre cover, but I like it, and I'm actually really looking forward to buying it on vinyl and having it in a massive form.

Did Wayne ride on the shoulders of a gorilla (well, a man in a gorilla suit) at all? He did that at Pitchfork during one of the new songs.

Yep!

Did Explosions in the Sky open for your show, Cori?

No, but that would have been awesome. We had a band from Oklahoma City. They had a long name and it had "White Dwarf" or "White Dwarves" in the title. I didn't think much of them.

The band's name was long enough that a bunch of us thought there were two opening bands. Heh.

Yep!

No, but that would have been awesome. We had a band from Oklahoma City. They had a long name and it had "White Dwarf" or "White Dwarves" in the title. I didn't think much of them.

The band's name was long enough that a bunch of us thought there were two opening bands. Heh.

Cool! :up:

Stardeath and White Dwarves. They're Wayne's nephew's band. I enjoyed them when I saw them open for the Lips in OKC.

BCbest0418.gif

No problem, Laz.

Tomorrow is payday, which means I'm going to go out looking for The Soft Bulletin LP. Unfortunately, my usual store, the Electric Fetus, got hit by a tornado last week, so it's closed. I'll have to venture out to the Cheapo instead. Hopefully, it'll be worth it.

hurricane_fetus-759144.gif

Pummeling the modern day Sodom with a fetus? Not really sounding too pro-choice.

Yes, thanks again.

I've yet to figure out a system for downloading on campus.

Back
Top Bottom