OASIS - New Album(s) and all General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, that makes sense, actually.

I liked the go all out nature of Be Here Now, and I personally liked the experimental and expansive aspects to it. I think it could have been better with a couple of songs switched for B-sides, but otherwise, it's a decent album.

Which songs would you subtract? Which songs would you replace them with?

No, that makes sense, actually.

I liked the go all out nature of Be Here Now, and I personally liked the experimental and expansive aspects to it. I think it could have been better with a couple of songs switched for B-sides, but otherwise, it's a decent album.

:up: Thanks phanan

Which songs would you subtract? Which songs would you replace them with?

I know Stay Young's a pretty popular track with Oasis fans, maybe that could've found a place instead of The Girl In The Dirty Shirt.

Well either to be honest. The Girl In The Dirty Shirt seems like filler to me, but Magic Pie is another song guilty of the overblown charge. Way, way too long and I can't hear a word Noel's saying.

Incidentally I seem to be the only one around here who really likes Fade In-Out, yeah its maybe a shade too long and repetitive (like several Oasis songs from previous albums) but the energy and attack of the whole thing makes it pretty compelling for me. I don't think it ever becomes boring you know? Its full of interesting twists and turns, it more or less warrants its 6 minutes running length, All Around The World on the other hand...

The songs that I wouldn't mind not being on the album would have been The Girl In The Dirty Shirt and the title track. They don't do anything for me. I don't mind Magic Pie - I don't think it's as good as some of the other tracks, but I think it's decent.

I also don't see the need for the reprise. Instead, I would have had It's Getting Better Man and then the regular All Around The World to end it.

As for B-sides, Stay Young should have been on there, definitely. I previously mentioned Sad Song, but as pointed out, that's really from the Definitely Maybe sessions, but Going Nowhere would do nicely.

I love every song on Be Here Now. The AATW reprise might be unnecessary and, yes, Noel might have gone a bit overboard with the electronic bleeps and the outros but the songs are still there. And the songs are strong.

Funny, I just tried it, and Stay Young and Going Nowhere would fit in quite well in the exact spots where The Girl In The Dirty Shirt and Be Here Now are.

Then you just flip All Around The World and It's Getting Better Man and ditch the reprise, and you've got yourself a solid album.

And if you think it's still too long, then perhaps get rid of Magic Pie, although I personally don't mind it.

Damnit, I wish they would've saved half the b-sides from the WTSMG? singles. Be Here Now wouldn't have flopped like it did if it'd had Acquiesce, Headshrinker, Step Out, Talk Tonight, Underneath The Sky, and Rockin' Chair to choose from (leaving Round Are Way, The Masterplan, The Swamp Song, Cum On Feel The Noize, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, and It's Better People as b-sides). Add those to the eleven album tracks, Going Nowhere, and Stay Young and you've got 19 songs to choose from. Take any three of the WTSMG leftovers, one of the BHN b-sides, and 7 of the BHN songs and you've got a great album with the bones (4 BHN songs, a BHN b-side, and 3 WTSMG leftovers) of a next album to boot!

What they should have done is realized how fantastic the B-sides were (original compositions) and saved them. Add live versions and cover songs to the Morning Glory singles instead, and then, just use them as the next album, allowing them to take a break and recharge their batteries.

If you take the songs from the Whatever single (minus Slide Away, of course), plus the other B-sides, you've got a killer album.

Whatever
Half The World Away
It's Good To Be Free
Talk Tonight
Acquiesce
Headshrinker
It's Better People
Rockin' Chair
Round Are Way
The Masterplan
Step Out
Underneath The Sky

A spectacular 12 song album.

Don't bother with The Swamp Song. Keep it as a B-side with the covers and live cuts.

Masterplan is probably the second or third best Oasis album...seriously what happened to them? They made such amazing b-sides and then suddenly couldn't make songs half as good for a-sides.

Heathen Chemistry is probably the biggest disappoint I ever had with an album

Oh, and The Masterplan is definitely awesome. I didn't review it because it's not an actual studio album, but it would probably be my 3rd or 4th favorite by them if it were.

Be Here Now was actually the first Oasis album I listened to, so I hated it on its own without any comparisons to the rest of their discography, :wink:

There are definitely parallels to POP in the way the initial positive reception changed to the commonly accepted "where it all went wrong" label both albums get smacked with.

Regarding Be Here Now. Sure it's bloated. But that's the way it's supposed to be,the songs are as they are, you could try shortening them, but they are supposed to be long-winded and full of pretence. That's probably why I'm finding it hard to imagine slotting in some of those b-sides, because they are, for the most part, less able to be bloated, except maybe My Sister Lover.

The songs that I wouldn't mind not being on the album would have been The Girl In The Dirty Shirt and the title track.

I love the title track but agree that Dirty Shirt is meh.

I don't mind Magic Pie - I don't think it's as good as some of the other tracks, but I think it's decent.

Yeah, it's good but way too long! Same problem as All Around The World.

I also don't see the need for the reprise. Instead, I would have had It's Getting Better Man and then the regular All Around The World to end it.

Completely agree with this! Whatever possessed them to put It's Gettin' Better after the song that sounds like it was made to be a closer??? :huh:

And they go from it's gettin' better to we're gettin' better... how ironic! :wink:

Also, they could have just fused All Around The World and the Reprise together so that the song ends with that beatlesque fanfare melody and door slamming sound... and cut out all the fat and made it about 6 or 7 min max, instead of a total of 11 to 12 min as it stands now!

Again, I could go either way with Magic Pie. I don't mind it, but it's not one of my favorites either.

However, I strongly disagree with All Around The World being too long. That was the whole point. The album is supposed to be excessive, and ending with a 10 minute opus puts the finishing touches on it perfectly. I would just remove the reprise and use the single version at the end (which is about 20 seconds longer to allow for the proper fadeout).

Haven't you read anything as to how Be Here Now was made, Zoots? They were on drugs most of the time, putting layer after layer of music on tape and going all out, not cutting anything and just letting the music flow. Some say the album could use some editing in certain songs, that it's too long - I say no, just a couple of songs switched for B-sides. I love how the music is longer and goes for a while.

And stop using :huh: so much. Sheesh. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought you were really BVS.

I will never understand why "Stay Young" was kept off Be Here Now; in addition, the cover of "Street Fighting Man" would have fit right into the mood of the album, although I can understand why a cover would not be included.
I am not sure that the argument of purposeful excess can be used as a justification for the album, however. Definitely Maybe is just as bombastic in terms of subject matter, but clocks in at fifteen minutes shorter than Be Here Now. "All Around the World" would work fine if two other tracks were removed; but, as it stands, the album as a whole is a difficult listen, even if several individual songs - Don't Go Away and Magic Pie especially - are excellent.

As "closing" as All Around The World may sound, It's Getting Better (Man!!) serves as a kinda uplifting, celebratory "we're not finished yet!", rock and roll jam and fits in beautifully in my opinion. At 6 minutes, it compliments the bombasticity.

If Be Here Now needs to be refined, it is in the middle (Stand By Me through to Don't Go Away), just something not quite right about it.

As "closing" as All Around The World may sound, It's Getting Better (Man!!) serves as a kinda uplifting, celebratory "we're not finished yet!", rock and roll jam and fits in beautifully in my opinion.

That is something I've really missed about the 'new' Oasis. All I want is for them to write one, just one, of those breezy let's throw the kitchen sink at it Britpop type songs that was pretty much all they seemed to write during the BHN era. I know it'd be a backward step for them which is why I wouldn't mind if it were buried as a B-side on the fourth single release. If you imagine the style of Going Nowhere that would be the sort of thing I'd be after.

Their Wembley Arena concert from a few days ago was broadcasted on MTV. You can find almost all of it on YouTube. The band sounds very solid, especially when Noel is on vocals, but when his little brother opens his mouth, God. The man is so out of tune it hurts.

Back
Top Bottom