Favourite Instrumentals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Something I've always thought was an interesting question.

There are some brilliant instrumentals out there if you seek them out, and while I used to get annoyed as a kid at there being "no words", on some occasions you just don't need them.

These two are my favourite.

YouTube - Pink Floyd - Any Colour You LIke

Showcases just how much of an underrated genius Rick Wright was, it's now been a year since his passing. :(

YouTube - David Bowie A New Career In A New Town

An instrumental befitting of it's title, this is actually my favourite Bowie song. Nothing short of incredible.

Honestly, I tend to prefer instrumental music, due to the lack of a vocalist to ruin a song with shitty lyrics and/or singing. But then I am known for my fondness of post-rock.

Anyway, this thread needs Russian Circles.

First up, my favourite song from the 2000s, Verses (the bit from 3:45 to 5:12 is beautiful and perfect in its effective simplicity):

YouTube - Russian Circles - Verses

A second awesome track from the same album, Station, is Harper Lewis:

YouTube - Russian Circles - Harper Lewis

Another one of my favourite post-rockers is God Is An Astronaut. Suicide By Star:

YouTube - Suicide By Star - God is An Astronaut

Finally, one of Australia's finest, Sleepmakeswaves. They're great live; go see them if they're in your neck of the woods. This is I Will Write Peace On Your Wings And You Will Fly Over The World:

YouTube - Sleepmakeswaves - I Will Write Peace On Your Wings And You Will Fly Over The World

Pink Floyd has more great instrumentals than I can count, but for me "Marooned" stands at the pinnacle of them all. They even show up in the band members' solo careers: "Red Sky at Night" by David Gilmour and "Sweet July" by Richard Wright (from Broken China, an album that anyone with an interest in Pink Floyd should hear) are also excellent tracks.

Bowie's "Art Decade," Radiohead's "Treefingers," and U2's "Bass Trap" come to mind as well, as does the entirety of Brian Eno's Music for Airports.

Excellent call with Floyd's Marooned! It really sounds like the soundtrack of a gorgeous deserted island somewhere. :love:

Quadrophenia and The Rock are also up there!

Does Mission Impossible Theme count? Great job by Adam and Larry!

Definitely Floyd's Any Colour You Like :heart: and Bowie's Warszawa too.

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - "Untitled" (track 11 on Fear Is On Our Side)
The Church - "Film"
Depeche Mode - "Headstar"
Joy Division - "Incubation"
Radiohead - "Treefingers"
Nine Inch Nails - "Leaving Hope" or "The Four Of Us Are Dying" or just about anything from Ghosts I-IV

Excellent call with Floyd's Marooned! It really sounds like the soundtrack of a gorgeous deserted island somewhere. :love:

Quadrophenia and The Rock are also up there!

Does Mission Impossible Theme count? Great job by Adam and Larry!

Definitely Floyd's Any Colour You Like :heart: and Bowie's Warszawa too.

Quadrophenia is impeccable.

Bad call I have to say for Treefingers. Even in the context of the album I still think it sucks.

Back
Top Bottom