Dismemberment Plan & spinoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on your mood, really. If you're in a chill mood, start with Change. If you want something a little more upbeat, Emergency & I. But, I mean, they're two of the best albums of the late 90s/early 00s and it takes all of 90 minutes to hear them both.

Holy motherfucking fucking fuuuuuuck

The PLAN!

What an incredible gig they played at P4k today. Just unbelievable. Travis Morrison is one of my favorite frontmen around at the moment; I've seldom ever seen a singer so fun and engaging, and the entire band was joking around as if they were brothers. The crowd, which was already packed with 30-somethings that knew most of the songs (all of the Emergency & I material, which was cool), fed so well off of that, and even those who did not know the material very well (Ashley, who will say as much later on when she can get online, as well as my other) had a terrific time.

As for me, yeah, it was a dream gig, especially when they performed Face of the Earth at a fucking festival gig (to a rather muted response) as well as Ice of Boston and The City, the latter of which I expected but was thrilled to hear anyway. Not a lot of Change material though, just Face of the Earth and Time Bomb. Terrified and Emergency got a lot more, 4 and 6 respectively, iirc. Amazing set though, extraordinarily well-paced.

Anyway, best damn band of the day, eclipsing Fleet Foxes by sheer force of will.

Seriously, they were great. I didn't care much for Emergency & I the first time I heard it, but I'm more than anxious to give it another spin. I had such an amazing time tonight, and this is definitely going up there as one of my favorite live performances ever.

LemonMelon said:
Not a lot of Change material though, just Face of the Earth and Time Bomb. Terrified and Emergency got a lot more, 4 and 6 respectively, iirc.

I'd like to amend this while I'm thinking of it:

! (1) OK Jokes Over
The Dismemberment Plan Is Terrified (3) The Ice of Boston, Do The Standing Still, Bra
Emergency & I (6) A Life of Possibilities, What Do You Want Me To Say?, You Are Invited, Gyroscope, The City, Girl O' Clock
Change (3) The Face of The Earth, Following Through, Time Bomb

Definitely a very balanced set.

Six songs from a 12 year old album? More than their most recent? Not playing new material? Crisis!
The Dismemberment Plan knows they are slipping.
1271_566c.gif

EDIT: And this guy agrees: http://www.wbez.org/blog/jim-deroga...mberment-plan-dj-shadow-and-fleet-foxes-89258
Jim DeRogatis said:
In the past, when it was pushing forward in a straightforward punk way, the group could be perfectly… O.K. But when it would break things down for a lazy beat-box interlude or experiment with more fonky grooves and snaky choruses, it generally lost the plot. The same held true as the band took the stage in Union Park, highlighting tunes from the recent reissue of “Emergency & I,” originally released in 1999, and the rest of its catalog.

:)

The guy from Time Out Chicago who gave the band a glowing review had seen them 15 times and was clearly brainwashed. Dismemberment Plan is on a (life) support tour for a 12 year old album and the end is nigh. It's already come to them once.

Shame on me for having a good time. :(

Um, Change is amazing. I'm being a bit premature because there's still three songs left, but I know one of them, so I'm going to bet that the closing duo can't destroy the great feelings I have for this album.

As I said before, I wasn't blown away on first listen by Emergency & I (but I really do need to get around to it again), but this is definitely one of those first listen favorites.

Fuck yes.

Favorites of mine: Sentimental Man, Face of the Earth, Superpowers, Automatic, Time Bomb, Ellen & Ben

Following Through has grown on me a great deal after seeing it live. Very strong track.

Man.

Oh man.

I can't name a lot bands who left off on a better note than the Plan did with Change. So much fucking hype if they chose to record new material, which isn't all that unlikely:

Catching Up With The Dismemberment Plan's Travis Morrison :: Music :: News :: Paste

Paste: With that being said, have you thought about writing or recording with The Dismemberment Plan?
Morrison: Yeah, we think about it. But it’s hard to do. We’re in different cities. It’s always very creative being with them, but you can’t just roll it into being, it has to happen organically. I wouldn’t be closed off to the idea at all.

Hearing Emergency and I didn't do it for me. Seeing them live and then hearing Change and then hearing Emergency and I again? Now you got something.

Back
Top Bottom