Cut Copy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Footsteps

427.gif

one #crap thing about twitter is I can't post this gif in reference to this song, because I have a lot of work-related peeps following me. so I have to allude to its sexual greatness

In track order, my favorites are:

Free Your Mind
We Are Explorers
Footsteps
Meet Me in the House of Love
Walking in the Sky

Great songs, all. I love this album.

:lol:, I kinda just figured it went without saying as it's the intro to Meet Me in the House of Love, isn't it?

EDIT: My mistake, I got confused. Add that one to the list as well, then. I guess I was thinking of Above the City

Ok, just ran through it real quick because I was very confused. Everything between Footsteps and Meet Me in the House of Love fades into each other, that's why I got confused.

lol they thought Zonoscope was two points better? Really?

Bright Like Neon Love remains their highest rated album on metacritic. Take that for what you will.

I'm really hoping "post-Haim" is something you gents invented rather than something that was published with a serious face.

I just can't understand using the Internet to explain what music sounds like. Post-Haim was one thing (hilarious, though it may be), but sounding like "Tumblr" or a message board is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I don't think so, look at the context here:

Internet platforms aren't genres, and maybe it's time to call a moratorium on treating them like they are. In 2006, when Charlotte Aitchison turned 14, she started recording a later-shelved album she has more recently disowned as "fucking terrible MySpace music." Now, almost seven years later, her proper debut album as Charli XCX can hardly avoid comparisons to Tumblr, from fans and detractors alike.

There's apparently some sort of musical understanding we're all supposed to be sharing here, in order to be able to compare her music to Tumblr.

Now, with the review for Ms. Mr's album, they seemed at least a little more clear about what they MIGHT mean:

Before MS MR had written a song, the band already knew how they would initially release their music, conceiving a Tumblr rollout strategy complex enough that Wired first reported it. The project was originally the idea of Lizzy Plapinger, co-founder of boutique NYC pop label Neon Gold, and it was consummated when she started working with producer Max Hershenow. After putting out a few singles under the guise of anonymity, they made music to fit the Tumblr plan in the form of 2012’s Candy Bar Creep Show EP. They put out one song a week, alongside “obsessively curated” images and remix stems.

In his review of Charli XCX’s debut, True Romance, Marc Hogan called for a moratorium on treating internet platforms as musical genres, and rightly so. But even as MS MR break their umbilical connection to Tumblr to release their full-length debut album, they’ve supplemented Secondhand Rapture with what they’re calling “Secondhand Captures”-- a different visual treatment for every song available online; made up of videos of eerie, wretched glamor and corruptible, all-American innocence. MS MR’s desire to give their music a visual analog is interesting, but you wonder about their ability to create a record that can be listened to on its own.

Until someone makes makes music that sounds like pizza cursors and Dr. Who gifs, I think we can all agree that any idea of 'tumblrcore' being a thing is hogshit. Shit, cat.

This is a Good Album too. I think about Footsteps and the title track a lot.

Doesn't "fucking terrible Myspace music" merely refer to, well, fucking terrible music that you could once find on Myspace but would probably never see the light of day on proper release?

I mean..it didn't sound like Myspace, it just existed there. And there was lots of it.

Or maybe I've missed something really clever that was happening online. What is this Tumblrcore?

:lol:, I just re-read the review. They didn't say "Message Board" they said "Message-Based". I started this entire conversation for nothing....my bad >_>

So, I'm an idiot….just clicked play on the first song….and it's this short intro….then the 2nd song starts, and it's this kinda slow song, and as it's going I'm thinking, "Damn, the singer sounds an awful like Billy Corgan on this tune" and after 2:00 or so of this, I take a look at my iTunes and, I had it on shuffle, so, I was in fact listening to "Galapagos" by The Smashing Pumpkins……unreal.

I did something like that the other day. There's this band called Keep Shelly in Athens that I really wanted to hear an album by. I don't often use Rhapsody on my phone, so I thought I hit the play button on the album. Three or four minutes into the first song, I'm thinking, "This is fantastic, really enjoying it. Can't believe how much they sound like The Flaming Lips, though."

Finally another minute or so passes and I'm thinking, "Wait...this is way too much like Flaming Lips." So, I go investigate and, sure enough, I'm listening to the Ender's Game soundtrack :doh:

Back
Top Bottom