B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's awesome, and whilst LM is getting the credit, I'm very happy to give you the credit Ashley. What a great story. I might try and get in touch with her (she responds on social media) and let her know about the strange little fandom she has on a nearly-dead U2 forum.

At least once a year, Ashley clowns me for fucking up Disintegration's placement in the Interference top albums thread I conducted over 12 years ago.

Just wanted to share that anecdote.

Jessie Ware getting her long-overdue kudos was one of the best things about music in 2020.

At least once a year, Ashley clowns me for fucking up Disintegration's placement in the Interference top albums thread I conducted over 12 years ago.

Just wanted to share that anecdote.

Wait, what is this thread and why the hell don’t I remember it?

taylor-swift-folklore-album-cover-1100.jpg

04. Taylor Swift - folklore (61 points, 7 votes; Highest Value 15)

"I would like to say:

1) It doesn't sound anything like The National
2) It's good, not a classic.
3) There are definitely (classic Taylor, not new Taylor) poppy songs on here
4) She went the route of 90s girl singer/songwriter, I see.
5) I don't know what anyone who thinks this sounds like Lana is smoking. A girl singing ballads =/= Lana automatically. Just comes across as pretty damn sexist, IMO. " - Bono_212, who didn't even remember listening to the album when evermore came out.

" My partner is very upset that, as an avid National (and Bon Iver) fan, she has to listen to Taylor Swift. " - Cobl04

"I really like the new record. I also do think it sounds like The National in the production and some of the instrumentation. And that, to me, is just great." - The Tourist

"This thread title is so dumb so I want to go on record saying that it is a direct parody of the legendary Dalton thread "Broken Social Scene ARE the new Menudo!" - GAF

Jessie Ware getting her long-overdue kudos was one of the best things about music in 2020.
Right? I've been recommending Devotion to people for 8 years now!

I'm just happy she found a sound that allows for her playful side to shine through again after a couple albums that felt extremely middle of the road (Midnight aside; I love that song). What's Your Pleasure is flawless.

phoebepunisher.0.webp

02. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher (64 points, 8 votes; Highest Value 12)

"...that Phoebe Bridgers record sounds like what would happen if April from Parks & Rec made an album. " - Iron Yuppie

"I got the new Phoebe Bridgers record a day early, and damn, it's gorgeous. Kyoto is the best song in my mind, but the whole thing is really good. You guys will enjoy it. " - Gump

"I cannot stop playing "Kyoto" by Phoebe Bridgers." - Jerry Dunk

"Kyoto does stand out because it's so upbeat in comparison, but I also really loved a few other tracks on first listen. The closer I Know The End...when those clear guitar strums come in up til the end. That's awesome stuff. When it really gets going it reminds me of something you'd hear on an old Sufjan album, like Illinois." - GAF

"“I Know the End” is the best song of 2020." - Cobl04

"It pains me to say this, but Cobbler vindicated??

The One Song We Clung to Tightest in 2020 " - Lazarus

FIONAAPPLECOVER.webp

01. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters (79 points, 8 votes; Highest Value 15)

"Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters (first masterpiece of the 2020s!)" - LemonMelon

"I've been listening all day. " - beegee

"I'm confused. This is streaming but I can't buy it?" - Lazarus

"Well, guess I'm torrenting it then.

I tried. " - Lazarus

"The second half of this is really compelling and inventive songcraft." - Iron Yuppie

"I like the songs with dogs barking in them. " - GAF

"It's brilliant." - joyfulgirl

"There are just so many incredible moments throughout..." - Gump

"I don't think any artist comes within sniffing of this album for the rest of the year." - Lazarus (And he wasn't wrong.)

cardigan sounds totally like The National!

Haha, I think I was referring to the album as a whole, which I had been constantly been told, prior to listening to it, that it sounded just like The National because of the overall production.

I still haven't gone back and listened to it again, there's a complete black hole in my memory where my initial listen to that album once lived.

I'm glad the point I went back and forth about giving to Fiona or Charli did not matter in the slightest.

It's awesome, and whilst LM is getting the credit, I'm very happy to give you the credit Ashley. What a great story. I might try and get in touch with her (she responds on social media) and let her know about the strange little fandom she has on a nearly-dead U2 forum.

Aww, that would be amazing.

I'm glad the point I went back and forth about giving to Fiona or Charli did not matter in the slightest.

When I was inputting the data into Excel, I thought Punisher had a shot at surprising, but when I ended up summing everything, I was surprised to see the difference was so extreme. They were on the same number of lists, but no one gave Punisher higher than a 12. Whereas Fetch The Bolt Cutters received a 15, two 13s and a 12.

Thanks, LM. I can’t believe I missed that. It was a busy time at work/life but still.

The back 50 of that list is pretty good!

Well, that's that.

I'm a little surprised Evermore hit the Top 10, but GAF's 15 points probably put it there.

Was kinda hoping Folklore would surprise for the #1 slot but I ain't gonna argue with Fiona. I admire hers more but definitely have been playing Folklore non-stop and like listening to it more, if that makes any sense.

Thanks, Ashley, for all the work!

I was expecting the traditional photo of NSW to appear somewhere!

Thanks, LM. I can’t believe I missed that. It was a busy time at work/life but still.

The back 50 of that list is pretty good!

I think it remains my favorite moment in Interference history. I have vivid memories of sitting in the library at TCU while LemonMelon was doing the unveiling and getting stupidly excited by the thought that Disintegration was going to place extremely highly...and then the realization that he accidentally left it off the list. I'll never let it go...

Top 7 all by female artists. Well done, B&C. I do need to listen to that Torres record. I think I tried it briefly but was distracted. I've been a big fan of hers.

Re Phoebe Bridgers, she deserves that spot. I don't think it's a tremendous album that I'll rank highly forever and a day, it's too inconsistent, but fuck me dead it's enjoyable, catchy and very her, which is what separates it imo.

She’s also such a charismatic lyricist that it’s hard not to be happy with her recognition, even if it’s not the most groundbreaking album.

I do wonder if, with time, her debut may not end up ranking higher than Punisher.

I thought he meant the baby, which wouldn't actually work, maybe he means the window one.

I wasn't sure if it was baby or window either. AH well. I love and appreciate all historic Interference memes.

As for the heavy domination of female artists this year, I am not surprised. Women just brought it more this year. Even my list, as someone who has admitted many times over that I prefer male vocals most of the time, was pretty much a 50/50 split of women/men.

https://www.u2interference.com/foru...time-listmania-top-100-individual-191030.html

Looking back, this was influential as hell, right down to the insulting album commentary.

Fuck this list is boring lol. All U2, Radiohead, Bowie, Floyd, etc. TWO women in 100 albums, and the top is Tori Amos which I imagine is mostly there because of the other Danny, and just four black artists. We've come a long way, and I imagine it'd be a bit different now. It's actually kinda funny to look back at the list I submitted, I've come a LONG way. It's clear I was struggling to fill 50 spots :lol:

As for the heavy domination of female artists this year, I am not surprised. Women just brought it more this year. Even my list, as someone who has admitted many times over that I prefer male vocals most of the time, was pretty much a 50/50 split of women/men.

Totally agree. Pretty much all the music I listened a lot to was by women.

Back
Top Bottom