McPhisto: A Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Is irony still ironic if it has been explained?
Sula, all I'm talking about are a few hints here and there. But there was nothing, except a radical change in (1)Music (2)Lyrics
(3)Attitude (4)Lyrics and (5)Public Image.
Now, can you see why many of us were disillusioned?
Bono should've know that these sudden changes would bring about justifiable questions.
Don't get me wrong...I think it was a good idea (the stage personna and all), but in my opinion, what was intended as irony was not seen that way by most people. I think most people saw what was happening in the music and lyrics and onstage and offstage, and assumed, as I did, that U2 had really changed. Can you honestly say that you knew it was all an act at the time?
You asked me Is irony still ironic if it has been explained?". Well, I ask you:
"What good is irony if it is so darned subtle that people don't recognize it as such"?

I guess the "radicalness" (if that's a word. lol) of the change would seem to me to be the biggest HINT that it was irony. It seems so blatantly over the top and obviously campy, imo. Anything BUT subtle.

Good art is about showing and not necessarily telling. Perhaps U2 assumed too much intelligence on the part of their viewers to put the clues together, but I don't think so. Answers that are handed out in neat packages are never quite as fulfilling as the ones you have to dig for.

I've been a huge U2 fan since Live Aid and a casual fan since 1982 or so. I loved the passionate and heartfelt U2 and the jingoistic and preachy Bono as much as the next guy but it started to feel stale and even a bit phony to me during the Rattle and Hum era. There was something utterly ridiculous about Bono preaching about the evils of Apartheid to a crowd in Denver, Colorado and asking "Am I buggin' ya." Yeah, I'm sure there were a lot of pro-apartheid neo-nazis in a U2 audience in DENVER for you to offend Bono. Very courageous of you to stand up to them B-man. <sarcasm> By 1990 or so I was waiting for Bono to take the controversial and heroic stand that cancer was a "bad" disease. As Bono puts it now it was the whole "rebel throws rock through the window of some obvious evil" syndrome. It wasn't dramatic, it wasn't good theater and it didn't MEAN anything. It was as vacuous as a Michael Jackson "tribute" song. U2 degenerating into such a plastic and obvious band was heartbreaking to me.
I was ecstatic with Achtung Baby and ZOOTV because I thought it was the best music U2 had ever written and performed and the best show they had ever done. Moreover I still feel that Achtung was the most emotional and hearfelt album of the bands career. It's just that there were darker things going on in the boys' hearts at the time. I actually find AB hard to listen to because it's so emotional.
80's, you wonder if any of us got the joke at the time. You'd have to be an extremely literal minded person not to get it. I'm amazed that any serious U2 fan was confused. It doesn't mean that hating the "new" U2 wasn't a legitimate response but it seems to me that U2 went way out of the way to explain themselves. Maybe I was naive but it didn't even OCCUR to me that U2 had sold out or had stopped believing in God or had fallen into a life of total debauchery. How anyone could listen to the lyrics on Achtung and think otherwise is still confusing to me.

MAP

p.s.- To the person who hates the idea of MacPhisto singing WOWY: It's not just a song about a girl. The lyrics can be interpreted as a "love" song to Jesus. (Not a particularly nice love song though. WOWY would have fit in perfectly on AB) The version on the Live from Sydney video is great. Try imagining the devil acknowledging his need for God and you'll get a small hint of some of the dynamics of that performance. Plus I've heard that the chicks dig the part where Bono/MacPhisto rips his shirt open and exposes his nipple. A certain EX-girlfriend of mine sort of dug that. Or so I surmised from all the squealing.

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
80's, you wonder if any of us got the joke at the time. You'd have to be an extremely literal minded person not to get it. I'm amazed that any serious U2 fan was confused. It doesn't mean that hating the "new" U2 wasn't a legitimate response but it seems to me that U2 went way out of the way to explain themselves. How anyone could listen to the lyrics on Achtung and think otherwise is still confusing to me.

MAP

Hi MAP,
I was a serious U2 fan and I didn't get it. And I don't remember U2 going out of their way to explain it at all. I do remember the "we don't need them" comment about fans who wanted the old tunes played in concert.
About a year or two into it, Bono said it was an act. However, the
way they were acting off stage seemed to go hand in hand with what was going on onstage. On stage, Bono was acting like a glitzy and glamorous rock star. Off stage, he was living that life; the band embraced teh rock n roll lifestyle. To me, that's no act. That's art becoming reality. Especially when you think about the fact that Bono used to stand against glitz and glamour and excess.
Look at Alice Cooper, another good Christian guy. he plays this part on record and on stage, he plays the devil so that people will see that the dark side is not the path you want to take. However, when he's off the stage and in his private life, he's Vince Furnier, normal guy Sunday school teacher. That's what true irony is.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:

However, the
way they were acting off stage seemed to go hand in hand with what was going on onstage. On stage, Bono was acting like a glitzy and glamorous rock star. Off stage, he was living that life; the band embraced teh rock n roll lifestyle. To me, that's no act. That's art becoming reality.

I'm just confused- how did they live the "rock and roll lifestyle" offstage too? Being on tour of course is radically different than being at your home- but I don't recall ever the band trashing hotel rooms, sleeping with groupies left and right, or doing anything else that falls in the rock and roll lifestyle. Surely changing their outfits cannot constitute as turning their backs on their beliefs. Yes, Adam had a low point- but the band was with him, they never turned away from him, he never glorified what happened... so what is this R&R lifestyle they lived offstage? and if you mean drinking/smoking- well they still drink and smoke, and swear, during this Elevation tour. Does that make them hypocritical? I don't think so. Maybe you could clarify...?

------------------
You see your love made complete

www.u2takemehigher.com

MPS: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 01-22-2002).]

Along with what Olive just said...how did their lives differ much from their lives in the 80s? They smoked, drank, and partied in that decade too, y'know.
smile.gif

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
[BMaybe you could clarify...?
[/B]
Sure I can. Yes, I realize they still smoke, drink and swear. But it seemed to really reach an extreme in the 90s, I think. Adam being drunk on stage a lot... Edge leaving his wife....stories of wild parties...Bono "dissing" his 80s fans by saying the band "doesn't need them"...every third word coming out of Bono's mouth being the "F" word (I realize he still does that occasionally, but not near as much)...
Having said all that, I don't judge Bono based on these shortcomings. I believe Bono is a "man after God's own heart". I sincerely believe that he wants to do God's will in everything. He loves God and wants to follow him.
However, surely ya'll can understand the concerns in a lot of Christians' hearts and head when the "switcheroo" in both U2's lyrics and public image changed. It was disheartening. I guess I was one of those that "looked to U2 for answers". I mean, I was BIG fan, and maybe they meant too much to me back then. But I admired them for many reasons, not the least of which was their clean-living lifestyle and blatant Christian lyrics. I realize none of us are perfect, and I'm FAR from perfect. I'm not a legalist, I'm really not. It's that when they appeared to let their inhibitions go and appear to live in a way that was completely foreign to my perception of who they were, it made me sad.
And I realize that by writing this, I am one of those whom Bono was referring to when he sang "They want you to be Jesus, to go down on one knee, but they want their money back if you're alive at 33". But I can't help it. I'm just being totally honest about how I felt when they changed. Anyway, I'm glad I started this thread. It's been interesting. I'm through now.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 01-22-2002).]

80su2.. i'm glad you started this thread, too- it's made me think and I love the realization I came to earlier about Fly not being strong enough to carry Zoo all the way through.. anyway I think it's an interesting discussion that's going on here.

I do think the title should be rephrased- b/c it seems to me you think not only was Macphisto a failutre, but Achtung Baby -> Zooropa (not sure about your Pop feelings) were failures. Which- if you look at where that amazing period got them- not to MENTION the unbelievable music created during that era.. by definition they were far from failures. Bono as a songwriter would not be where he is today were it not for Achtung Baby.. I believe they wouldn't be a band today if they didn't make that stretch back then. I'm just coming at this from a different angle from you because it was Achtung Baby that made me fall in love with U2- I had heard JT .. but seeing Sydney Zoo amazed me. Which brings up another question.. (PLEASE no one take offense to this wording b/c i mean it with respect and a sign of longevity) I wonder if the "older" u2 fans are more critical of U2 than the "younger/newer" fans.

As far as Bono saying "We don't need them" refering to the past fans- I remember talking to a friend about this and hopefully tomorrow she can enlight me again.. but from what i remember, in that interview Bono was being attacked for his Fly character and was attempting to explain- and .. okay I'll definitely come back to this tomorrow as I don't want to make an uneducated statment about it.

Also- Edge didn't "leave his wife" just because he was "embracing a rock and roll lifestyle".. I think it's quite unfair to say that they broke up b/c of some catalyst in the AB era.

I hope you and everyone who feels the same was as you do not think that I am attacking you or anything- I'm sure it must have been a surprise to realize your role models were "human" and actually enjoyed their human side. but I think it's unfair for us to deny them that. okay /speech sorry...

lol p.s. point well taken about the "dead at 33" ... and certainly everyone is welcome to their opinion and just wanted to say again I respect that.
smile.gif

------------------
You see your love made complete

www.u2takemehigher.com

MPS: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 01-22-2002).]

Hmmm...see this is a tough one for me to answer fully. There are two things that impair my opinion: one, my age (17) and two, when I became a fan (post ATYCLB).

My age makes me understand more completely Zooropa and POP. They realized that they had no idea what was happening to them spiritually. It seemed as though JT was like a "Hey, I don't know about my religion. But I'm searching and I'm becoming happier along the way." Where Zooropa/POP was like "I'm done with this searching thing. I want to know something for sure, but I'm not sure I want to make a leap of faith to get to solid ground." Which is exactly where I was/am. The end of POP shows more of an "I'm happy with me." attitude, though they accepted that they were not yet perfect (not perfect, but you get the jist) they accepted where they were and saw that they were ok (it's hard to put into words exactly, but some of you should understand it).

Secondly, I became a fan AFTER ATYCLB. Meaning, I could reason out their actions in the early 90s and make it fit into some sort of scheme.

I always understood the satire, without them telling me it was satirical. The irony was so obvious that it made me love them more for being comfortable enough to play around with their image. The transition from the 80s to the 90s brought open questioning. Where in the 80s they openly sang about their leaps of faith "I believe that Jesus is coming", but also showed they weren't fully secure in their beliefs "still haven't found". But moving into the 90s it was more like they had gotten too close and were burned. Stuff like "Staring at the Sun" shows that. Now they not only hadn't completed their search for God, they were obviously being influenced by any number of other philosophies (obviously by Plato).

The satire was there to provide a cushion to fall back on. Like a good pop song that has a catchy jingle but serious words, the satire came with layers. How much you liked it depended on how much you looked into it.

I think saying you absolutely hate 90s U2 just because the show they put up on the side is cheap. I know that's not what you did 80s, but I was just throwing that out there. Personally, I rarely listen to 90s U2 at the same time I listen to 80s U2. I love both eras, but I don't think they mesh well. But I don't think they sold out. And I don't think that their attitudes changed in a bad way. I think they just continued on their natural quest to try to figure themselves out. They took us on that ride, and I for one, am grateful they did.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

8:38 pm.
In Te Domine, breaks out his milk crate o' old video tapes... In search of the infamous "we don't need them anymore" interview (oh yessss.. it IS there... somewhere.. in all these tapes)

This may take a while.

Stay tuned

oliveU2cm, thanks for the link and I absolutely LOVED the MacPhisto version, I think I even prefered it to the original! Honestly, I was showing the recording to my best friend, and he pointed out that when he does the 'slur' thing and tries to put on the sleazy posh English accent he actually sounded a lot like me when I sing (and as I only sing when I'm drunk, its not too hard to believe). So thanks again, I would love to hear his rendition of WOWY.

Anyway, going back to the discussion. This has been simply one of the most absorbing and fascinating threads ever, and I'd like to thank 80sU2isBest, while also trying an answer. The funny thing abot 80sU2isBEst, is her actual name, because I remember the first thing I thought when I saw the name; I thought... 'I agree, 80's U2 IS best.

Let me explain.

The first time I even heard of anything of U2 was, ironically enough, was in the Irish terrorist film of 'BLOWN AWAY'; remember the one where Tommy Lee Jones plays an IRA terrorist exacting his revenge on Jeff Bridges? Well, I remember Jones hopping around in his boat, and since he's a particularly patriotic Irish man in the film, he was listening to U2's 'I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR'. When I heard it I think I must've gone into a trance, it was SO beautiful, so moving; the first time I heard it the moment was so intense I thought I was going to die. It was as if someone had reached into my soul and uncovered all of its secrets, all of its passions and all of its doubts. It was simply amazing, and to this day, it is not only my favourite U2 song, it is also my favourite song of all time; becuase it IS me. I still haven't found what I'm looking for, despite everything.

However, I did not become a U2 fan in 1994 despite all this, it took me the following year when I was watching MTV and I saw the video for 'HMTMKMKM', when the cartoon of MacPhisto grabbed me instantly. I found the concept fascinating, this man turning into the devil and then not only causing havok in Gotham City and attacking this innocent woman, but also the sheer confidance he had in his wickedness. The character of MacPhisto did intrigue me, and so I did some research into the band and realised that they were the same people responsible for 'I Still Haven't Found...'. This took me by surprise; how can someone sing lyrics so devoted to God and the mystery of God and then prance around as confidantly as the devil?

IF you know me, you'll know that I'm a man who LOVES contradictions. I find the duality of human nature incredibly fascinating, so this contradiction of 'natures' didn't put me off one bit, it made me look deeper and deeper into U2. And, the more I went back in time to their music, I began to piece it altogether. I do prefer the 80's U2 a lot more, not because of image (if anything, I prefer their NEW image. I hate Bono's hair long and I hate them in cowboy gear, it just doesn't suit them), what I do prefer is Bono's lyrics. Not that his lyrics have lost their potency in the last decade, its just I'd like to think it was the start of their journey that got me into them, even though I wasn't there to begin with.

Everytime I look at an artist, whether its poetry by W.B. Yeats or artistic career of Salvador Dali, I find it important to be aware of their themes and their evolution, once you look at that, you find the essence of the artist; I have found the case to be with U2. Oh sure, I might find their older music a BIT closer to my heart, but that doesnt mean I don't like where they're going - I LOVE where they have been and where they're going. I love how at the beginning of the 90's they changed almost completely; they became all glitz and 'pop', all dark and slightly cynical, but, I'm sure in years to come, when their careers ARE over (God forbid), we will probably look upon such an era as their 'prodigal son' era - having searched everywhere for God and not found It they were finally tempted by the devil. And in a way its very beautiful, its beautiful because its a reflection of our own humanity, the idea of MacPhisto may be far from divine, however, the lesson being taught is pretty divine, the catch is I think that U2 were also learning the lesson along with their fans.

MacPhisto to me represents not only the dark side of say, Bono, but also the dark side of stardom and faith, yes, faith does have a dark side when its invested in the wrong thigs. It also shows how people can turn from God in a moment of desperation, only to be welcomed back to Its arms again. Look at U2 now, I think they have returned to their image back in the 80's, pretty much, with the exception of the 80's gear, as we live in a very fashionable and trendy age. They can't go around looking like they did in the 80s, that would just be wrong.

If anything, the MODERN U2 is quite tame and well, sanitised compared to the anger in the old days and the dark side shown in the 90's.

And its this progression that makes this band just so amazing, its a band that evolves and develops, and a lot of it has to do with Bono's own spiritual development, and like any spiritual development, there are moments of despair and cynicism, as well as moments where you think that God is right there with you, carrying you away or 'taking you higher'.

For me, its about looking at the whole scheme of things, looking at their progression and trying to see the whole picture. It must have been hard for the fans who looked to U2 for the answers, however, that is not U2's fault. Bono, in my opinion, has always been humble before being 'showy', he has always said and proven that he is before anything else, a man. A man like any other, but has the opportunity to express himself, and boy does he. Just because U2 fans looked to his lyrics and the band's attitude doesn't change the fact that the man had his own doubts and his own dark moments, shall we say, but it does NOT make him less of an artist, in fact, it makes him more than such.

As for his comments of 'we don't need the old fans', as hurtful as it might have been (I know I would have been really REALLY hurt)I think the comment might have been put out of context, and if it hadn't, one has to ask the question of whether or not Bono has a point. I mean, if someone had asked me just that, I probably would have said what he did, if not something more impolite. I mean, if I had been doing my job, singing my song and simply doing what I did best and suddenly decided to explore something about myself in a different way with the result of people not liking what I was doing all of a sudden, then the only attitude to actually have is 'well, if you don't like it you can go...'. Its not a nice attitude but its a natural one, an attitude anyone of us would have. The best artists are those who realise that they are human, just as human as their audience is, and the only way to be true to yourself is to explore these themes.

I mentioned earlier about artists having recurring themes, if I had to describe U2 I would say onwe word; GOD. Despite the differences in attitude behind MacPhisto and the attitude behind 80s U2, I still think that it was their quest for God. Bono's exploration of his dark side, or 'devil side' is his quest for God. Its a complex and confusing path, but its one we all must take, and its truly beautiful. Its what makes us human.

Oh, what if Lucifer would come to some awakening one day and sing 'With or Without You' to God just before repenting. It is true that Lucifer hates God, but you can not have hate without love. People often mistake that the opposite of Love is hate, it isnt; its indifference.

Ant.

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
Anthony--
227 posts. Where ya been hidin'?
wink.gif
thanks for that post.

Oh no dear, I haven't been hiding; you just didn't notice me.
smile.gif

Ant.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 01-22-2002).]

Found it:

Bono, in thin Fly shades and slicked back hair... and an obvious smug attitude, being interviewed by MTV News at the start of their ZooTV tour.

"I think we have some smart people in our audience and I think they are ready for the ride."

"I'm into it. We're into it. And I really think that the real U2 fans that have been around... They're into it. We might lose some of the pop kids... but we don't need them. I'm gonna go."
Bono flashes the peace sign then thumbs up as he walks away.

See... I know it's really silly of us older fans to still bring this up, but ... I guess you had to have been there. The younger fans look back at all this as some distant past that doesn't really matter because U2 is now in the ATYKLB era, and they kick ass, etc. That's fine.
Thing is... us ol' farts were there when it happened. We lived it. (Geezzz, you'd think I was describing the Kennedy Assasination, or the Challenger Explosion...Umm, You young 'uns DO know what the Challenger Explosion was, don't you???)
It is strange how seeing that interview brought back a lot of memories (Whatever happened to Tabitha Soren... and does MTV still have "120 Minutes????... damn, I'm old).

Well, boys and girls, I guess I was NOT one of the smart people that Bono mentioned. And I thought I WAS a "real U2 fan".... from my complete collection of U2 records (vinyl... remember that???), to the t-shirts, the JT tour memoriabilia, my subscription to Propaganda (AND my actual letter being printed in one of the issues
biggrin.gif
), and the half dozen or so very loyal U2 Penpal fans (BEFORE email) I had from Propaganda's Grapevine section (Most of them felt abandoned and "dropped out" after AB).
Dammit, I was NOT a "pop kid"!!!..., yet I still felt that Bono was telling me to go to hell.

Gawd, I need to see a shrink about this!!! Its pretty silly, really.

Anyway... It was a good thing in the end, U2 still rocks, and I don't worship them.
I still think that is what Bono and U2 wanted... To "back out", and shake off fans like me.
...Besides, when Bono now thanks us fans "for sticking around all these years" during their concerts... I feel he IS talking to me, and all I can say is, "No,... thank YOU, Paul"

Hey! This could be interesting! http://www.paulhewson.com/

Anthony... I have socks older than you!
smile.gif

See.. they had the whole R&H cowboy gear BEFORE MacPhisto and beyond, so to us old folks, THAT was what suited them.
Anyway, if you notice what book Cartoon MacPhisto has in the "Kiss Me..." video, you will know what "MacPhisto" is all about.

Ant- I have a couple other Macphisto songs hiding on my site... I'll see if I can get WOWY you up tonight
smile.gif

great post, btw... I still have to talk to my friend about the "we don't need 'em" comment- ah! it hurts to think Bono would ever say something like that about his true fans. Hey myabe I have rose colored glasses but I can't see him implying that to his dedicated fans who have always been with them- "pop kids" (his words are always pretty well chosen) I'm thinking pop as in those teenieboppers sorta kids who'd rather follow the trend than a band like U2...

anyway Screwtape Letters, yes... I've also got the Macphisto phone call when he speaks about Rushdie, saying he invented him.

okay hopefully these work first time around:

http://www.u2takemehigher.com/music/Italy_Macphisto_phone.mp3

oh well only one up there for now..

------------------
Not suckin on my thumb
Staring at the sun

www.u2takemehigher.com

Macphisto Society: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 01-23-2002).]

Great post, in te domine. That's exactly how I felt, also, as an "old fart".

Originally posted by in te domine:

See... I know it's really silly of us older fans to still bring this up, but ... I guess you had to have been there. The younger fans look back at all this as some distant past that doesn't really matter because U2 is now in the ATYKLB era, and they kick ass, etc. That's fine.
I still think that is what Bono and U2 wanted... To "back out", and shake off fans like me.

Well, I'm a "younger" fan in both ways, I'm young and I'm new to fandom. I like ATYCLB and whatnot, but it's the MEANING that makes U2. What I mean is (to steal from my old post here), the music is catchy, that gets the mainstream fans. But what gathers hardcore fans is the meaning behind the songs. You don't have to think hard to understand "Stuck In a Moment", but think of POP. There are so many other distractions, the synthesizers, crazy drums, and all sorts of other random things thrown in there. But past that there are beautiful lyrics that are some of the most honest ones Bono has ever written. POP showed his maturity as a man and a songwriter. It just also showed the maturation of the band at the same time and it turned out with a lot of music on one album (meaning a lot of notes, it's hard to explain, but when there are too many notes, songs get ruined, musicians know what I'm saying here). Which is not to say that the amount of notes were unjustified (as it added to the "lots of clutter, find the meaning" motif), but I think songs like Mofo could have been reworked and made into a better song in the end (but they're happy with it, so whatever).

As far as being a youngin' I see what you mean by us not understanding completely how big a transition it was for them to make. But don't think we don't notice it. I noticed it and I wasn't happy with it for a while. I really liked their 80s stuff a lot more than their recent stuff. But the more layers I peeled back on AB and POP, the more I got what Bono was writing about. The more I got it the more I wanted to know about what he was writing about (soul searching and whatnot, POP really help me out of a low point, A LOT).

As far as the "U2 kicks ass" portion of your comment, I hope you weren't being sarcastic on that one. I love U2, their lyrics, their music, their messages (which I agree with most, but the ones I disagree with help me understand me even more, it's a win-win situation). But I'm not the kind of fan that's like "U2 kicks ass!" at their concert but never listens to them. Or say they kick ass when they're popular, but not when they're catching flack in the press.

As far as the "shake off" pop-ish fans. You probably weren't included. I'm sure you are a competant, intelligent individual (give yourself credit!
wink.gif
). Maybe the people they were trying to "shake off" were those who only liked them for the sake of liking them. Think about JT era (I wasn't technically around [hmmm...I was 4] but humor me), it seemed like with the huge amount of press love they attracted fans that they didn't really want. Bah, I lost my train of thought. But my point was that they were going to reinvent themselves, and they knew that. So, they knew they'd lose fans but maybe their train of thought was that the fans that would leave were perhaps mostly the people who liked them just to like them. I'm not justifying that statement at all, just saying how I see it.

U2 does appreciate their fans, so feel loved.
smile.gif
Besides, you never know where the new CD will go...(insert dun dah duuuuhhhh here).

-Lil

P.S I know what the Challenger was.
wink.gif

------------------

I still don't see Bono's "we don't need them" quote as being a brush off to the "real" or long time fans. He states very clearly that he thinks U2 fans are "smart" and will get where the band are going with Achtung Baby and ZooTV. (He was probably giving them too much credit but Bono's always been an optimist) He also said that he thinks the "fans" who gave up on the band were just the "pop" kids by which I think he meant the casual fans who got into the band with Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum.
If I were Bono I would have been a wee bit harsher. I've always been annoyed by the people who claim to be huge U2 fans but who give up on the band and declare them washed up or sellouts every other album. These are the sort of folks whom I remember eviscerating Unforgettable Fire when it came out. Grrr. My classmates who were declaring U2 the next Who or Bruce Springsteen after War and Under a Blood Red Sky wrote them off after UF. The ribbing I took for liking UF still makes me grind my teeth. Of course, these same people fell all over themselves jumping back onto the U2 bandwagon after Live Aid and especially Joshua Tree. And then they jumped off again after Rattle and Hum. U2 were "sellouts" and "pretentious" these people explained to stupid old me. U2 were the worst sort of hypocritical "corporate rock." They were finished. Joshua Tree was the last gasp of a dying band. Blah, blah, blah. Two and a half years later these wankers fell all over themselves trying to jump back on the bandwagon. They loved AB. It was alternative and brilliant. Bono wasn't pretentious he was "ironic." But then Zooropa and Pop came out and U2 were pretentious sellouts again. Macphisto was "weird" or "gay." I still have friends who hate that U2 let "McDonalds and KMart sponsor PopMart." They really believe that. No amount of correction helps. U2 were sellouts again and damn the facts. But then ATYCLB came out and the fair weather fans jumped back on board again. The painful part is listening to these wankers lecture the REAL devoted fans who never jumped ship. But I bide my time because I know they'll be jumping off the bandwagon soon. There's a new album coming out next year. I'm sure it will be "pretentious corporate rock."

MAP

Originally posted by in te domine:

Anyway... It was a good thing in the end, U2 still rocks, and I don't worship them.

yeah.. Lily made a good point- I don't see evolving as "backing out" ...
but we probably have a different opinion on what evolving is then...

Matthew great post- I agree w/ everything you said.

------------------
Not suckin on my thumb
Staring at the sun

www.u2takemehigher.com

Macphisto Society: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:

Matthew great post- I agree w/ everything you said.
I don't. Sure, there are people who change their mind about U2 with album, but the change from War to UF was not as drastic as teh change from 80s U2 to 90s U2. I had been a DIEHARD U2 fan since 83. I collected everything I could get my hands on - heck I even played Larry in a lipsync contest. I stuck with them and even gave them the chance through AB (I figured "maybe this is a one time experiment")...it was only when Zooropa came out that I decided "That's it for me". Now, when they would refuse to play any old songs (pre-87) except SBS and NYD, that and then Bono said "they don't need the pop fans anyway", that upset me. I was NOT a "pop" fan - I was a serious fan, and was it too much for a longtime fan to ask that the band play some of the old classics that got them famous in the first place?

80s...are you sure we're talking about the overall broad success or failure of U2's use of the character MacPhisto or rather your disappointment when your idols failed to live up to your expectations of them? The impression I'm getting is that you're trying very hard to justify your willingness to write this band off and to judge them by external measures.

So you didn't "get" what they were doing with ZooTV and PopMart. And this bothers you. But that doesn't mean that those ventures were failures by any means. You say you weren't a pop fan, and I'm sure you weren't. But the attitude I'm hearing from you is that U2 somehow "owed" you something, be it a musical style, a lyrical direction, or a career decision. And I'm sorry, but the simple fact of the matter is, they don't owe you or me a single thing. They are artists first and foremost and for an artist to be true to themselves and what they feel they should be doing with their work IS the number one priority that they should be following. If they were to cater to the whims of fans, how would that make them any different than the "pop" acts that we all seem to unanimously dislike?

So I'm sorry if you were disillusioned with them in the 90s. But that doesn't make their work in that era any less ground-breaking, artistic, or iconclastic. And if you truly want an objective answer to your question, I think you're going to have to step outside of your hurt and your bitterness and take a look at the big picture. Leave it behind.

(1)80s...are you sure we're talking about the overall broad success or failure of U2's use of the character MacPhisto or rather your disappointment when your idols failed to live up to your expectations of them? (2)The impression I'm getting is that you're trying very hard to justify your willingness to write this band off and to judge them by external measures.

So you didn't "get" what they were doing with ZooTV and PopMart. And this bothers you. (2)But that doesn't mean that those ventures were failures by any means. (3) But the attitude I'm hearing from you is that U2 somehow "owed" you something, be it a musical style, a lyrical direction, or a career decision. And I'm sorry, but the simple fact of the matter is, they don't owe you or me a single thing. They are artists first and foremost and for an artist to be true to themselves and what they feel they should be doing with their work IS the number one priority that they should be following. If they were to cater to the whims of fans, how would that make them any different than the "pop" acts that we all seem to unanimously dislike?
(4)And if you truly want an objective answer to your question, I think you're going to have to step outside of your hurt and your bitterness and take a look at the big picture. Leave it behind.
Sula, I numbered some things in your post so that I could answer them individually:
(1)This post started out as to whether their use of McPhisto and all they were trying to do through the sue of irony, whatever, was a failure. As this was discussed further, I began to pour out my feelings about what they did. So, it's about both, but they are separate issues, actually.
(2)You couldn't be more wrong on this point. I wasn't exactly "willing" to write them off. My disillusionment came hard, and with a lot of emotional pain and disappointment. And yes, a lot of that decision was based on "external" factors, but I will say again that a person's actions are often a window to his/her soul. Also, you know that I believe in grace more than anything, because I am damned without it. But grace doesn't mean we are free to willy nilly live how we want. Bible says that they will know us by our live and that we will bear fruit. And as someone who wasn't quite aware of what they were trying to show by some of the things they were doing and saying, all I could see was that there were somethings that really didn't jive with their Christian beliefs and lifestyles. Even now, that I am in my "zooropa" experiment and trying to understand what they were doing, there are things they did and said that I just can't reconcile with. But I am not focusing on that anymore. This thread was entirely about my past feelings.
(3)I don't feel that U2 "owed" their old fans anything but common respect. It was people who had been fans since the early years who bought their records and videos and everything u2 we could get hands on and went to their concerts that got them to that pinnacle of success with the Joshua Tree(including people like me and In Te Dominum and others who liked them largely for their Christian lyrics). What we wanted was for U2 to play their old hits as well as their new. When Bono said we he said, that was a real blow.
(4)I'm not bitter anymore or hurt, Sula. All I'm doing here is discussing how I felt when the "change" happened. I would never be so bold as to tell you to "step outside your bitterness" and "leave it behind". That's pretty presumptious, and uncalled for.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
I would never be so bold as to tell you to "step outside your bitterness" and "leave it behind". That's pretty presumptious, and uncalled for.

I'm sorry if you think so.
frown.gif
I can't read your mind and all I'm going on is what you've expressed in the thread. So if I got the wrong impression I apologize for misreading. My confusion came in that while the original question was a generic one, most of your responses have revolved around your hurt and disappointment with the band. And I guess it seems to me that if you're really trying to gain a new perspective about the whole thing, it would make sense to step outside of that hurt. From the tone of your posts, it didn't sound like you had done so. Thus my comment was one of observation and not intentional presumption. In actuality I was merely trying to refocus the discussion and help answer your question, so I apologize if you found it hurtful. I hope you and anyone else who 'knows' me online or off would know that I'm not out to cause pain to anyone.

Sorry 80s, but I totally agree with sula here. Sorry you don't like 90s U2, really I am, but it's 2002, and maybe it is time to reconcille your issue with U2. I don't doubt you not being a pop fan (why would you be here if you were?). Whatever, I'm too tired to deal with this now.

But I have one question, how did you work Christianity into this whole thing like that? I think you saying that there were "things that really didn't jive with their Christian beliefs and lifestyles" is pretentious. You don't know their beliefs. Maybe it didn't conflict with THEIR beliefs. Maybe their beliefs CHANGED. Either way, I doubt that U2 would go in a direction that conflicts with their own beliefs. I'm just wondering how you meant that to be taken.

-Lil

------------------

Originally posted by Lilly:
Sorry 80s, but I totally agree with sula here. Sorry you don't like 90s U2, really I am, but it's 2002, and maybe it is time to reconcille your issue with U2. I don't doubt you not being a pop fan (why would you be here if you were?). Whatever, I'm too tired to deal with this now.
Dadgum it, Lilly, read my last post. You will see that I have said that I AM INDEED over it.
All I was doing on this thread was posting how I felt when I wasn't listening to their new music (Pop, Zooropa). Would I be such a fan of tehirs now if I was still upset about it all?

And I guess it seems to me that if you're really trying to gain a new perspective about the whole thing, it would make sense to step outside of that hurt. From the tone of your posts, it didn't sound like you had done so. Thus my comment was one of observation and not intentional presumption. In actuality I was merely trying to refocus the discussion and help answer your question, so I apologize if you found it hurtful. I hope you and anyone else who 'knows' me online or off would know that I'm not out to cause pain to anyone.
Sula, I like you. I really do. I find you to be a nice person. That's why you telling em to "step outside" my "bitterness and hurt" seemed out of character. When you tell someone they're being bitter, that comes off sounding judgmental; so it now seems to me that the very people who have been telling me that I shouldn't judge U2 based on external factors are now judging me for feeling the way I did. Doesn't that seem a little strange to you?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 01-25-2002).]

BAAAAAAAHH!!!! 80s I read it!!! I still didn't get it! *whacks self in head! duh Lil!* Whatever, my question about Christianity still stands. I don't get where you get that all from.

------------------

Lilly, to be fair, the reason my Christian disillusionment came into this whole thread was that I was answering a the following post, which was asked about 12 posts from the top:

"I think the question that should be posed is if Christians have a sense of humor? MacPhisto was simply a life-like caricature of excess, and if you closely read the lyrics of the 90s albums, you see deeply religious beliefs in there."

I simply went on to explain why I was disillusioned in a "Christian" sense.

Now, as far as me not knowing U2's beliefs, I would have to say you're wrong there. remember, we're talking about the 80s here, and in that decade, U2 hadn't quite developed thw whole "we don't look to us for answers cuz we have questions also" attitude. Nope, in the 80s, U2 did claim to have answers. how could anyone listen to October or War and not hear U2 singing their answers all over the place? Political answers, religious answers...they were all over the place in the 80s. And not just in their songs, but in their interviews and in the books about them. If you would like to see some of those quotes, I'll dig them up. So you see, U2 did state their beliefs about things, so it was very easy for me to read what they said, and thus know what their beliefs were.
But I'm tired, as you are, I'm sure. So, shall we drop this whole thing?

... and I thought the Tyson-Lewis press conference was bad...

wink.gif

Excuse me while I take one more whack at this dead horse.

The reason I keep using the phrase "Backed out" is because that IS how Bono explained the changes after AB came out. I can almost guarantee that I saw some interview where he said in effect that they were stepping back from being this rock band that was going to "change the world". It was too much pressure for them. In fact, if I remember correctly, it was also mentioned that this move was very necessary in order to keep the group together... Something to that effect.

Sorry. I'm not gonna go diggin' through my video collection again for this.

Keep the punches above the belt kids!!

Back
Top Bottom