Today I'm pulling the plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
on cable TV.

And no cable TV for me means no TV because I have no reception without cable.

I'm returning the cable box today.

It's over.

I've broken up with TV.

I did the same ting a year and ahalf ago...except we use bunny ears to get regular network tv reception (hey--nuttin' says white trash like bunny ears on yer tv (and I'm allowed to say W T b/c I once lived in a trailer--it's true!))

I missmissmiss cable! Especially bbcamerica. But we watched waaaay too much...and so much of it is crappy anyhoo. So go for it--walk away and cut the cords. It'll get over the breakup!

I was paying $70/month!!

$840/year!! :shocked:

To basically watch two shows (Six Feet Under on HBO and Survivor) plus the news (such as it is).

I may have to get it back when Six Feet Under starts up again :reject:

enggirl said:
I did the same ting a year and ahalf ago...except we use bunny ears to get regular network tv reception (hey--nuttin' says white trash like bunny ears on yer tv (and I'm allowed to say W T b/c I once lived in a trailer--it's true!))

:lmao:

I don't have the bunny ears. They fell off and I lost them in a move somewhere along the way. I can say white trash, too, because my cousins are the definition of, and one of them used to run around threatening to shoot people with his shotgun. That's mom's side. Dad's side has the nuclear physicist who designed part of the atom bomb. I've nuclear white trash in my blood. :uhoh:

I?d never dare to pay for the shit on TV.

I don?t watch that much either. Just sick of it. Boring.

If I had to pay for cable, I don't think I'd have it, either...considering that all I really use cable for is hockey games and M*A*S*H reruns on FX.

My friends keep complaining about their dial up internet connection and they all have cable TV that they rarely watch. I asked them which one they'd rather have if they have to choose. Most of them think dsl, or other internet options, are too expensive, even though most of them agreed they'd rather have faster internet connection and no cable. None of them have changed anything.

I think the only reason I even own a TV is rent movies. I hate TV.

I do have cable too. Only cause I'm living with the parents right now. It just doesn't seem like it would be on the list of my priorities to get when I move out.

I couldn't live without my regular tv, but pay tv ~ I can do without. Even though it would be nice to have Simpsons marathons and all, it would become a very bad habit for me!

I just have basic cable...no HBO or premium channels, so I only pay around $40 per month. I'm addicted to TV, as soon as I come home, I turn the TV on and have it on in the background, even if I'm on the computer and only half watching it, and don't turn it off till I go to bed. :huh: I don't watch many network prime time shows these days, cuz they pretty much suck, and reality shows suck. I've been watching movies on the cable channels, cnn, or the learning channel or discovery channel...and of course :heart: Trading Spaces :heart: on the Learning channel.

and like Martha, I couldn't live without the :heart:weather channel:heart: :no: :eek:

LOL...I remember when we went on vacation to the US a couple of years back. My Mom had never seen the weather channel before 'cause we don't have something like that here. She watched it for freaking HOURS every morning - I'd be trying to put the news on in the morning and everytime I put the remote down she'd change it back to the weather channel. :p

I will miss the weather channel a wee bit, but I'll just call my friend who has the nickname 'weatherbird' and he'll tell me what's going on.

So it's a done deed. I returned that cable box yesterday and I had a quiet evening listening to music, reading and puttering around. I have to read a lot for my job and now I don't have the TV distraction, nor will I have the recurring experience of surfing and then screaming at the TV that I pay $70/month and there's not a damn thing on worth watching. :)

what is it about old people (ducking so as not to get hit in the head by several remotes whizzing by my ears) and the Weather Channel? My mom is so addicted to it--not as if the weather in Vegas, um, changes all that much from day to day. Today, 110 degrees, tomorrow warmer at 112. Oh, and by Tuesday, we'll be a balmy 105. Chuh!

My in-laws are the same. They live in AZ and call every freaking time we have snow or tornado warnings (even if it happens in the next state!). Finally, I told my mother-in-law that if the answering machine picks up, we still have electricity so we're most likely OK.

enggirl said:
not as if the weather in Vegas, um, changes all that much from day to day. Today, 110 degrees, tomorrow warmer at 112. Oh, and by Tuesday, we'll be a balmy 105. Chuh!

that is such a rotten myth. our weather does change, and quite often. especially in the summer, where the weather channel comes in handy for storm watches. from late august to october we have what we call monsoon season. severe electrical storms that come out of nowhere. and trust me, if you're on one of this area's lakes, you're gonna want to know when that lightning is gonna strike.

oh yeah. and it's hella cold here in the winter, too.

1. I saw some rabbit ears at the 99 cent store.

2. If we can have a CD exchange I think we can have a Six Feet Under/ Joyful exchange. I will tape a SFU episode and send it to you. You do have a working vcr?

If you guys think the weather channel is cool, you should buy a NOAA Weather Radio. You can get your local forecast way more often (every time I used to try to get mine on TWC, Storm Stories was on :mad: ) and it has a really obnoxious alarm that goes off during bad weather, or other various phenomena, such as volcanos, avalanches, hurricanes, and coastal flooding, which really comes in handy in Oklahoma. ;) :lmao: You also get oodles of technical stats. :up: But for those addicted to learning about the weather in totally random places, it may not be your best bet.

Joyful, I admire you for ditching the TV. Every day, especially during the summer, I think about disconnecting ours. I'm sure you'll be glad you did...

"And what you leave behind you don't miss anyway."

Back
Top Bottom