Someone Stole Bertha Last Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
all things are relative I know....I am lucky to be Australian, I am lucky to have a family, I am lucky to be relatively healthy.

Someone stole my eldest son's car last night. Big Beautiful Bertha, a car we all worked on and loved. She was a gem...and she was also fitted out with a neato soundsystem, including irreplaceable Etone bass speakers on loan from my husband. She's probably miles away now, or pulled to pieces in shed somewhere or burned. It's my son's 21st birthday in a few weeks, what a gift eh?. I know he should have had insurance , but he didn't.
I've brought my boys up to be honest, to respect other people and to always put themselves in the other person's shoes.

Shoes....one good thing, he lives close to his workplace and can walk there, so can his girlfriend. I was thinking maybe he should get a bicycle, maybe I can afford a bicycle for his birthday.
But Bertha, just gone like that...I know it is only a material possession, but we had some fun times in that car, it's a bit of a shock.
Funny thing, my next son just got the car he's been working on for ages, registered yesterday...from :) to :( in 60 seconds.
**it happens all the time, onwards and upwards I suppose.

thanks for the kind words..it helps:)
Yes, maybe she will be found, just someone joyriding. I feel sorry for my husband,all the work he has done, his old Etones:( and I wondered if the thief would place any value in the St.Christopher medal I know is in the glovebox.I gave that with love to help keep my baby safe...well maybe it worked, he is safe, just without a car. I feel bad enough today, imagine how he feels.

I was just looking at some pics of her on the computer, I'd forgotten how rough she was when he got her. He and his dad really did a good job, gave her a new lease of life.
Hub rang before, youngest son nees his help, it's always something eh? Everyone he has talked to knows the car, she was very distinctive, maybe that will help us get her back. I have a feeling she is miles away though.
I'll lend him my car in the meantime, I don't think anyone will steal that. Crikes I hope not anyway.
If Bertha does find her way back to us...I'll be sure to let you know. You'll hear the whoop from where ever you are.
Cheers musiclovers.
Thanks

PS: I rang my best girlfriend to cry on her shoulder for a while( good friends let you do that eh? it sure is appreciated) She told me of a friend who had his Torana that he had lovingly restored stolen from outside his wedding reception. Months later he was doing a work house call, he happened to look over the fence into the neighbours yard ...and there was his Torana, up on blocks. So maybe there will be a happy ending to this story too.

that really sucks, hope ya get it back
we had our car stolen about 3 or 4 years back now i think
we went into a shopping center came out after about 1 hour and it was gone!
police found the guys who stole it the next day filling up the car with fuel
but all my cds & discman were stolen, other things were taken too....

hope ya get it back

cass said:
all things are relative I know....I am lucky to be Australian, I am lucky to have a family, I am lucky to be relatively healthy.

Someone stole my eldest son's car last night. Big Beautiful Shoes....one good thing, he lives close to his workplace and can walk there, so can his girlfriend. I was thinking maybe he should get a bicycle, maybe I can afford a bicycle for his birthday.
Bad news cass,.....

But imagine a Austrialian man sitting on a bike,.........:lmao:

Last edited:
thanks y'all. Hope is starting to fade. I was hoping she would find her way to an equally loving home, but the prediction is she is stripped down for parts. He'd just bought a new battery for her too and when we tally up all the extra bits she had......... it really is a crying shame:( I feel so sorry for my son, working away in a shite job for a low wage and trying to get back to square one. His spirit makes me proud..he said "I did feel annoyed, but then thought , what will that achieve?" He is one cool dude imho. At least we have each other...and I have you guys ...in the good times and the bad...thanks:)

I like your son's attitude :up:

I was just talking to a friend earlier this evening about how everyone will go through some horrendous moments in life
and the only way to get through those moments is to be a positive about the future and not get too down about what happened (which is a lot easier to say than to do)

Last edited:
oh gosh....I'll get all sentimental on ya here in a minute and start telling............stories:macdevil:
He's my firstborn...he'll be 21 years old very soon:faint: I only realised recently he was born on the same day that Bono's mother died..my happiest, his saddest.
He sure does have good attitudes...many is the time he has given me a better way of seeing things, helped me out of a funk. I don't know what i did to deserve him. he and g'friend used some of their precious day off to come and sit with me at little bro's soccer carnival on Sunday. He goes a bit hyper around me...I think 'cause he still misses us a bit. I know I miss his regular company...see stories!! can't help myself*tch*
but 21 years...I can even still remember his quickening..so gentle, just like he is now.
**cass resists urge to post baby pics**

:D
:wave:

it sure does...thanx for the encouragement.
I just wanted to say...you prolly realised this already. He was born on the anniversary of....the same day and month...not year.

Main thing I have to focus on now is how to celebrate his 21st birthday? He doesn't want a party, but I think his new"in-laws" find that odd. We have always been very low-key and always think that small is beautiful. My g'friend just told me to stop feeling guilty and worrying about what other people think. She said guilt is about ego. Oh dang...I don't know. His 21st is very important to me, but so isevery day of his life ......what to do?
**cass sits on the worry couch**
and just for the heck of it......
:madspit: :scream: :down: :yell: :rant: :madspit: to car thieves

here's a blast from the past....

I said I would tell you if Bertha was found.

The police contacted my son a couple of days ago. Bertha was found in an isolated bush paddock about 50 miles from here , along with several other stolen cars. The local fire brigade had been in the area doing some work and found them and alerted the police. They had Bertha's chassis number .
The first policeman my son spoke to said she was stripped and burnt and that we had to come and get her. That was a bit of insult to injury, spending $200 to dispose of her.
But he later spoke to the cop who attended the site. Her dragway mag wheels are gone of course, the stereo,hub's Etone speakers:( her Statesman seats, the Premier dash ( we're not sure about the nose cone), the stainless steel rocker covers( she was V8) the Holley carby...all the things he added. But she still has her doors and the glass is intact. We have to wait until son is off work and the cop is available to go see her. I am still hoping to find the St. Christopher medal and maybe the copy of LOTR I gave to my daughter-in-law.
I think it will be sad to see dear Bertha in such a state, but maybe someone will want her body. She was straight last time we saw her and not much rust. Some people race HQ's, so maybe she will come alive again.
He bought a new car a couple of months ago. His dad made him an immobiliser for it and his landlord lets him park it in the driveway beside the house. My middle son would like to move in to town, to save so much travelling for work, but he wants to find a house with a lock-up garage. I hope he does.

I'm sorry she is burnt out Cass. I know how much that car meant to you all. HQ's are sought after, there wopuld be someone around who would be willing to put the time and money into getting her back again.
:hug:
I wish this had a happier ending for you.
:(

thanks guys
me and my ramblings.................
lost in translation

she wasn't burnt, the first policeman said that, but the cop from that area who has seen her said she is not burnt.
Stripped of just about everything, but not burnt.

My son was remembering that week she was stolen. He was moving one of his big fish tanks and the glass broke. I drove him out to the aquarium supply place to buy another. It was a windy day and as he was carrying the piece of polystyrene to the car it broke in two due to the force of the wind. His girlfriend got chicken pox...it was a mad time. I told them to keep a diary of their first year together, otherwise they would never believe all that has happened. I noticed on their calendar the other day, their first anniversary :heart: is the day before my birthday, Easter time. I was off in Newcastle grooving to silverchair and they were falling in love.
So the theft of Bertha was a set-back...but we still have each other.

and you guys are still giving me :up and :hug:s

thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom