Procrastination cures.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
As I am typing this, I am rushing like hell to complete my sociology essay which is due in tomorrow. Despite the amount of planning and research I do, ALL of my assignments/essays always end of like that. That’s right, I have the “I’ll do it later syndrome”.

So, can anyone here offer any techniques/cures for procrastination? I would GREATLY appreciate it.

The biggest procrastination cure for me is asking someone to hide my laptop. I eventually get so bored that doing work seems like the only reasonably entertaining thing to do.

I should probably practise what I preach, as I've got an English exam in five hours that I've barely studied for. :drool: I suppose actually remembering to bring my novel back to residence would have helped a lot.

I set rewards for myself. If I have a new magazine I want to read, but I also need to clean the kitchen, I don't allow myself to read the magazine until the kitchen is spotless.

If it's a long essay or long period of studying, I unplug my internet connection. Then, after every hour or half hour I work, I get 15 minutes on the internet or a 1/2 hour TV program.

With long papers, I break them down into sections, or specifically chose topics I can break down in my mind. For example, for a psych class I have to write a 10 page paper on a movie and describe how the terms we've covered this semester are played out in the movie. I chose Love Actually, b/c there's 8 pairs, so I figure I write a page on each couple, a page of intro and a page of conclusion and that's 10 pages easy.

I also plan ahead when to do assignments. Since we get the course syllabus the first day of class, you can see when everything is due. Sometimes there's a week with like 3 exams, 2 essays, and a presentation, so I make a note to work on those papers ahead of time.

The checklist system with "rewards" seems to work. I will write down all the tasks I need to complete and work through them. Sometimes completing the list is reward enough. Other times, it is nice to get a treat along the way.

I read somewhere that a good thing to do is to sit down and say you're going to put all your attention into whatever you're doing for five minutes, and then you can quit. Lots of times you end up working on it for longer because after five minutes you've switched gears... or if you haven't, you can quit.

When I have to read something really boring I try and read ten pages every hour. Then I don't want to shoot myself.

the rockin edge said:

yeah, but everyone who is on here isn't necessarily addicted...i mean someone on here might not be. it could happen, right? :wink:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ok, off to take a shower and finish straightening up the house for dinner company, which I have to pick up in 90 minutes.

There's no cure for procrastination - once a procrastinator, always one. It's in your blood (not that I procrastinate :shifty: )

:whistle:

Kristie said:
I read somewhere that a good thing to do is to sit down and say you're going to put all your attention into whatever you're doing for five minutes, and then you can quit. Lots of times you end up working on it for longer because after five minutes you've switched gears... or if you haven't, you can quit.

:hmm: Sounds good.

------

I'm such a big procrastinator. I had a free night tonight. And of course I screwed around and put off my homework until after 9 pm. OF COURSE!

I don't get why I do that to myself. I hate it, but I do it anyways.

------

As far as cures, I don't know. I don't have any advice other than do whatever it is you need to do while you're thinking about it.

The rewards thing sounds nice, but I don't know if it works for me. I just spend all the time that I'm supposed to be working thinking about my upcoming reward. :happy:

I did that tonight as well, I've spent the last three hours not doing work that I should be doing...

and I also realized my cell phone bill was due 3 days ago, another thing I'd been procrastinating about. I had the money and everything.

The main problem with procastinators - me included - is that we tend to think to much and talk ourselves out of what we have to do over what we like to do. The trick is not to think about it. If I need to wash the dishes then that will be the first thing I do when I get home. I could easily say, "well, the dishes will only take me ten minutes to do, it's only 3:30 now and dinner is a few hours away, I could just wait till after dinner and do them all at once" DON"T THINK! If you're an avid - working into obsessed - gamer like me then the worst thing you could do is to fire the game up; you will have eccentually talked yourself out of what you needed to do. I personally have a problem with the small rewards cause once my focus is on something I like to do, I find it hard to get back to what I needed to do.

You may need to take some time to think about all those times you waited to do something and how shitty you felt for waiting so long. Yet, also think about the times you didn't wait and how good it felt to get it done sooner then later; MORE TIME TO PLAY!

I don't know about anyone else but my memory is not what it was....so I would forget the important needs and often remember them when I was playing....what do I say then? "I'll do it tomorrow!"....and subsequently, forget again! So, I picked up a PDA to help me remember personal and work related things that I need to do; I never put "play time" on the PDA cause that's a no brainer. It's been a big help. Whenever I get something new to do, it goes in there...that way I only have to remember one thing....check my PDA. This can easily be done with a notepad as well.

It will take some time but the best thing you can do is not think too much about it...You will feel better when you get things done early rather then late. The more you do it the easier it gets you just have to make the effort.

Another procrastinator here also!

I can do everything but what I am supposed to be doing particularly when it comes to assignments. Like right now I am here typing this instead of doing my essay. And in about 5 minutes time I am going to clean my desk space and sort everything out, which doesn't need doing but I have convinced myself I cannot work until everything is clean.

I might try that five minutes thing (though not today:wink: ). It sounds like it might work.

My gf swears that post it notes help, but I can't see how, I'm also too lazy to get up and find one when i need to. lol

Put off today what can be done tomorrow is what I've always lived by :D

Just kidding - but I've had my procrastination moments as well. The reward system looks like it could be something I'm willing to try :wink:

I haven't done my taxes yet. I don't even know where my statements and such are. :uhoh:

I'm in deep shit.

lateforwork said:
My gf swears that post it notes help, but I can't see how, I'm also too lazy to get up and find one when i need to. lol

Actually they do, and I've used this method but it can get messy and you can easily lose them; especially if you empty your pockets every night. That's why if you have a small notepad or a PDA, you don't have go looking through you post-its...leaves only one thing to look at!

Mr. BAW said:
I am the King of Procrastination. :yes: it took me forever to post this comment.

I think I can hold off posting my answer until tomorrow or so.

:hmm:

Or after the weekend.

those are some good suggestions... PDA, post-it notes...

I've started using the calendar on my phone to help me keep track of things and the alarm will go off when I need to do something. I'm really liking the phone thing...

Of course, it's all about personal preference. Different things will work for different people.

indra said:
I haven't done my taxes yet. I don't even know where my statements and such are. :uhoh:

I'm in deep shit.

Mine are done and sitting on the floor waiting to be mailed (arrived this past weeekend). They arrived via the post office opened, and I need to make sure nothing fell out... And my fax machine isn't hooked up at the moment, so I can't fax my accountant something I need to... Maybe a trip to Kinko's tomorrow :hmm:

procrastination :sad:

it's such a terrible disease.

I hope none of us die from it 'cause it seems like there won't be a cure for quite some time.. :(

Back
Top Bottom