Missing person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is still hanging in there, falling in and out of consciousness, with some ability to communicate. He remembers going for a walk but then when asked where he slept, he says "in my bed in my room." I thought in a weird way it is almost a positive thing that he suffers from dementia as he probably truly doesn't remember his ordeal.

The doctors don't want to give us a prognosis due to his age and his condition when he was brought in, so it's pretty much day to day.

Thanks to all of you for listening and following along. It has meant a lot to me to be able to write all this out. :hug:

Continued thoughts and prayers for y'all! :hug:

I haven't been in Zoo Confessionals for so long, and when I decided to come here again today, I saw this thread. Oh, what an awful time it must have been for you and your family, anitram. I am so glad your grandfather was found, and I'm praying for his continuing recovery. :hug:
The mind works in a strange way. My dad has no recollection whatsoever about the time he got sick while visiting me here had to be hospitalized for 5 weeks. At that time, one of his nurses actually told me that when she saw how distraught I was seeing how sick and helpless he was. She said he probably won't remember the beginning (the worst times) of this. And she was right. I hope your grandfather recovers at least to the point where he will still enjoy his days with his family and make better memories to erase this near-tragedy.

Thanks everyone, all your support and your stories have been very welcome and appreciated. It is amazing how many people go through similar circumstances. Deep's story especially touched me because my grandfather was also a WWII vet.

He has actually woken up, remembers nothing, but has really made a pretty remarkable recovery. His kidneys are functioning at normal levels. He is having two ongoing problems. One is his heart, which seems to be in a fairly weakened state. The second and maybe immediately more serious one is that he now has necrosis in both his feet. :( They have to begin amputating some portions of his feet. Two toes on one foot have to be amputated ASAP, but his heart condition precluded him from having anaesthesia so they have been waiting until tomorrow. Hopefully he can then have surgery. The other foot also looks pretty bad, but at this point they will sit and wait to see just how drastically they may have to amputate. So that's pretty bad and I am concerned that he may totally lose his ability to walk after this. On the other hand, he says that he is not in pain and he seems mentally pretty with it and not terribly traumatized by the experience. Granted, he seems to remember nothing.

Thanks everyone, all your support and your stories have been very welcome and appreciated. It is amazing how many people go through similar circumstances. Deep's story especially touched me because my grandfather was also a WWII vet.

He has actually woken up, remembers nothing, but has really made a pretty remarkable recovery. His kidneys are functioning at normal levels. He is having two ongoing problems. One is his heart, which seems to be in a fairly weakened state. The second and maybe immediately more serious one is that he now has necrosis in both his feet. :( They have to begin amputating some portions of his feet. Two toes on one foot have to be amputated ASAP, but his heart condition precluded him from having anaesthesia so they have been waiting until tomorrow. Hopefully he can then have surgery. The other foot also looks pretty bad, but at this point they will sit and wait to see just how drastically they may have to amputate. So that's pretty bad and I am concerned that he may totally lose his ability to walk after this. On the other hand, he says that he is not in pain and he seems mentally pretty with it and not terribly traumatized by the experience. Granted, he seems to remember nothing.

Continued thoughts and prayers coming your way. :hug::love:

Thanks for your concern! :hug:

My parents are actually leaving this afternoon to go stay with my aunt (near my grandfather as we don't live close right now) for the next 3 weeks. He has been moved from the hospital to the hospital wing of his nursing home, so he has definitely made progress. They removed parts of the gangrenous feet and it seems that right now there is no spreading necrotic tissue (fingers crossed), so the situation on that end is stable. He is pretty weak and can't walk (mostly due to the ongoing foot issues and recent surgery there), so he is pretty unhappy about that as he has always been mobile, despite his advanced age and various ailments.

My grandfather passed away a few hours ago.

At the beginning of this thread I talked about how much he loved the outdoors, which really played a significant role in his demise. They took him out to the gardens of the long term care home where he was staying because it was a beautiful fall day and he died outside in his wheelchair. I very much feel like it was fate and it strangely makes me feel better to know that this is how he went, surrounded by nature and very peacefully.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and support on this thread. He was my last grandparent, the last of the Mohicans so to speak. My birthday is actually tomorrow and I feel lucky that I got to have him for nearly 32 years. He was a great man - it was a pleasure to have known him and learned so much from him. :heart:

From the way you described him, it sounds like he would very much be content with the way he passed.

Prayers to your family, I hope you all can cope well with the loss. I'm so glad you got to spend these extra months with him :) :hug:

So sorry for your loss, anitram. I hope you continue to find peace in the time you were able to spend with your grandfather & how he passed. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom