MERGED --> Are you afraid of Death? + 3 years have gone by

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Are you afraid of Death?

Are you? Or are you afraid of the way your going to die? Are you afraid if there is an after life or not?

With my friend's 3rd year anniversary coming up after dying in a Car accident back in 2004, since that day. I have always been wondering how I will die? What will happen to my soul?

Not really, I don't really think about it. A really good friend died of cancer at age 20, and she was not scared at all, so I try not to be.

I don't dwell on it, but I guess I'm afraid. I do believe in an afterlife, so it's not that. I think I'm just more afraid of dying before I've lived the full life I want to live.

I used to be afraid of it, but now, honestly, I'm so miserable it would be a relief to get out of having to live another few decades. I don't look forward to all the problems and medical issues to come. Sometimes I even want to go.

I have experienced dying a lot more than most of you, since I've lost all my Grandparents and parents already and lots of others, including some cousins who died young. I'm already starting to see some of my schoolmates' names in the obituaries, and it's only going to get worse. And of course my beloved animals. I have lost so many pets, many who died in my arms, and there are times I think it would be so happy and peaceful to just go be with them again. Let somebody else worry about all the problems.

No the only thing I am afraid of is how it will be, I have a fear of drowning or burning. But I'm not afraid to meet my maker, a little worried but not afraid.

U2Kitten said:
I used to be afraid of it, but now, honestly, I'm so miserable it would be a relief to get out of having to live another few decades. I don't look forward to all the problems and medical issues to come. Sometimes I even want to go.

I have experienced dying a lot more than most of you, since I've lost all my Grandparents and parents already and lots of others, including some cousins who died young. I'm already starting to see some of my schoolmates' names in the obituaries, and it's only going to get worse. And of course my beloved animals. I have lost so many pets, many who died in my arms, and there are times I think it would be so happy and peaceful to just go be with them again. Let somebody else worry about all the problems.

:( :hug:

I think I fear that I wont be ready. You hear of those who pass away and are calm and serene. Then there's folk who die so unexpectedly. I guess I need to know I have said and done everything first so it is ok. It's more a checklist, really. Have I told everyone I love them? Are my animals going to be taken care of, the kids going to cope, have I achieved enough of the Brilliant And Huge Plans I had? Is everything in order with practical stuff? Is everyone just going to be ok?

:slant:

I have some fear of death, but I don't let it consume me. I'd rather just enjoy life while I can.

Not affraid to die.

But i do worry about my loved ones if im gone.
its the thought of leaving them i cant seem to get my mind around

I medically suppossed to be dead. I was born 14 weeks early, wieghing at 1lb. 6oz. The doctors gave my a 95% chance of dying. Plus I got really sick, getting all of this diseases, plus having my lungs collapes 3 times. The doctors told my parents that I was the sickest baby that didn't die. But, after 4 months in the hospitcal, I pulled through, and here I am, 19 years later, with only hearing loss, and some scars to show for my unusual beginning of life.

Anyway, am I afraid of dying, no. And I do believe in the afterlife. 4 of my great aunts, two dogs (one being hit by a car), my grandparents on my dad's side, and all of my fish have died.

I am however, afraid that people that I'm really close to will die, like friends and close family.

I'm very scared of dying and of people close to me dying (I'm actually more scared of that). I find it hard to believe in anything so the concept of not existing is terrifying. Sometimes I wish I were dead and the only thing that gets me through the day is the thought of going to sleep again. Still, when I'm having a sane day death freaks me out. I'm also scared of those huge mosquitos that every tells me won't even bite, so :shrug:

I don't like thinking about it and like VertigoGal said I'm more afraid about someone in my family dying, especially one of my siblings. I also know there are a lot of diseases in the family I could end up with. I don't want to get sick, that's my biggest fear.

Mostly I try to do whatever I can to keep myself healthy and make every day a good one and just enjoy life. Nothing more you can do.

Lancemc said:
I think I'm just more afraid of dying before I've lived the full life I want to live.

Yup, same here. Plus I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep whenever the day comes!

I'm not afraid to die. I don't live life recklessly, but I don't live it in fear either. Even with all of my religious upbringing, and the personal convictions I carry with me today, I cannot say with 100% certainty what lies behind that thin veil that separates us from life and death.

I think everyone fears death to some degree.

I do believe that it's possible to not think about it, and therefore not be consciously afraid of it, and perhaps if you're religious you think if you die you'll go to heaven... but I think there's always a little uncertainty. That's why it's faith, isn't it? Because you don't really know for sure, just what you feel in your heart as right.

I do fear death. Perhaps because I am an athiest (or maybe the term is agnostic - I believe in some sort of God, but have no religion). But from a biological standpoint, it makes sense. if we don't fear death, what's to stop us from doing something completely recklesss? How would we survive? Fear keeps us alive.

"Who would fardels bear, to grunt and sweat under a weary life, but the dread of something after death, the undiscover'd country from whose bourn no traveller returns, puzzles the will and makes us rather bear those ills we have than fly to others we know not of? Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all..."

Re: Are you afraid of Death?

Justin24 said:
Are you? Or are you afraid of the way your going to die? Are you afraid if there is an after life or not?

With my friend's 3rd year anniversary coming up after dying in a Car accident back in 2004, since that day. I have always been wondering how I will die? What will happen to my soul?

I am not afraid of dying, however I only pray that when I do die it is quick and pain is limited. I do not want people fighting over my will when I die. I have already told my family and friends if they fight over any possesions I leave behind, I will haunt them and they will regret their behavior.

I am not afraid of death, I am afraid of dying painfully, but then again I am afraid of pain in general. I am an agnostic/atheist and
the possibility that there may be nothing at all after life doesn't bother me :shrug:. I will be annoyed if I die early, I will feel jipped that I didn't get to experience everything that I wanted to.

U2democrat said:
I'm not afraid of death but I'm afraid of dying.

Yeah. Me too if its going to be a painful death. I don't think about it too much but drowning, burning or a plane/car crash would not be my chosen way of dying.

3 years have gone by.

I will never forget you Evan. You were like a brother to me.

Evan Parker
Parker, Evan Born May 15, 1982 - died while avoiding traffic and losing control of his car on February 28, 2004, at age 21. Evan is survived by devoted parents Lane and Millie Parker along with brothers Shawn and Bryce and sister Morgan. Evan lived his entire life in San Jose graduating from Stanbridge Academy in 2001 and has spent the past two and a half years working a variety of jobs in retail. After years of trying to convince his father to buy him his dream car it finally happened Christmas, 2003; Evan was surprised with a black 2004 Ford Mustang GT while spending the holidays with relatives in Atlanta. Evan and his father drove the car home from Atlanta to San Jose at the end of the year arriving home January 2, 2004. Two months later Evan died in the car he loved so much. Friends are invited to attend visitation on Wednesday, March 3, at 4:00 p.m. and a funeral service for Evan on Thursday, March 4, at 10:00 a.m. in OAK HILL FUNERAL HOME'S CHAPEL OF THE OAKS, 300 Curtner Ave., San Jose.
Published in the San Jose Mercury News on 3/3/2004.

Yes. Very. :crack: I can add it to my fears list:

1. Spiders
2. Heights
3. Water
4. Sickness
5. The sound of velcro being torn
6. Death

LemonMelon said:
Yes. Very. :crack: I can add it to my fears list:

1. Spiders
2. Heights
3. Water
4. Sickness
5. The sound of velcro being torn
6. Death

Wow, replace Spiders with Snakes and that's pretty much mine as well... Except #3... What's up with the water? :wink:

Like, swimming in large bodies of water or drinking a glass of water? :eyebrow:

As my dad told me when my grandfather passed away, dying is harder on those left behind. I think I agree with him. So, no, I don't really fear death. I don't think about it often unless I'm asked a question, but there are a few ways of dying that frighten me, like being burned or drowning.

i'm a little sad about it , cause when it happens , i want to face IT with dignity and with sence that i stood for something good ,
controling the animal fear of pain & darkness till that last second

WinnieThePoo said:
i'm a little sad about it , cause when it happens , i want to face IT with dignity and with sence that i stood for something good ,
controling the animal fear of pain & darkness till that last second

"You can live with dignity, but you can't die with it" -some crackpot doctor on TV

I'm scared of driving. I'm really convinced I'm going to die in a car wreck. I've only had two minor wrecks, neither of which resulted in any injuries, but... I don't know. it really scares me. i haven't driven in weeks. I purposefully avoid it. I've got issues.

and spiders suck

Not 100% fear free no.. but it's not something that I dwell on. It's an inevitability and out of my control. I sometimes wonder what it's like, how it feels when your spirit leaves your body and such. I guess I have alot of curiosity about it... as I think everyone does.

ylimeU2 said:
As my dad told me when my grandfather passed away, dying is harder on those left behind. I think I agree with him. So, no, I don't really fear death. I don't think about it often unless I'm asked a question, but there are a few ways of dying that frighten me, like being burned or drowning.

I agree, I don't think my fear is actually dying itself, it's how my dying would destroy many people I know...I don't even want to think what it would do to my mom or husband.

Back
Top Bottom