I'm not going to see U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent post, Diane. While I think I'd be a :censored:hole for not sympathizing with people that got hurt, this isn't exactly Watergate. If you hate U2.com, you can get a refund. This negativity has been absolutely overwhelming. I haven't even been able to listen to HTDAAB for a week. This is a nightmare. I'm wearing black on my birthday, February 20. I curse the day of my birth. May God forgive me for these sentiments, but I'm sorry, I can't help it. It's an Aspie's nightmare. Things that have given me comfort and solace for decades have become as disposable as the things I put in my f:censored:g trashcan. This is intolerable.:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

U2Kitten said:
If they do add tour dates within a reasonable distance from me (I'm in VA) I will go to one show, but I am not burying myself in debt chasing them all over the place like I used to. I can't financially or realistically do that anymore.

I am in the same boat as you U2Kitten.

I can't travel to see U2 either, and I didn't even try for tickets for this reason. No Atlanta date. There was one but it had to be postponed when they postponed the start of the tour. Is this going to kill me? No. This negativity might. Mistakes were made; this doesn't excuse all of the horrid, nasty things that have been said. I do not accept excuses for lack of civility. I've always tried to follow a code of courtesy and respect for others. Even when I'm not getting the same, it's in my best interest to do this. I get more than I do if I did the verbal equivalent of punching someone in the nose. If I don't agree with someone I don't tell them to f:censored:k off. I have my own problems, I don't need to carry the weight of other people's problems with me unless I plan to check into my state's wonderful state psychiatric facility. I do not. Keep your issues out of my mailbox, and have a nice day.

ill try to get a ticket from ticketmaster for one show in Boston , if there will be no tix , it's alright , there will be plenty of acts in here , this hysteria is awful ,

Got a couple of tickets for london. First reason is that I have just introduced a lot of old U2 music to my gf and that, to me, they are the best band to see live (well... saw Bruce sprinsteen play for nearly 4 hours a few years ago and also Metallica during black tour.. during my stage diving long-haired days..) so as tour was coming up, I managed to pay £157 for two tickets.
To me its music and no more than that. As a few people have mentioned already, the reaction over the last few weeks since presale to me showed that the band is much more than just music to people. I can't understand that and maybe thats why i've never had the complication of "losing love" for the band...:shrug:

Good going, partyboy. This is about music. We're not talking about candidates for canonization here. The great majority of people are not saints or sages, they're human, with all of the faults you'd expect from humans. This society created something ridiculous called "celebrity culture". This was started in Hollywood during the Depression. It was a tough time for Americans. Catholics in Chicago had processions asking for the intercession of St. Jude, who became the patron saint of desperate causes. Their husbands were out of work and they didn't have any way to pay the bills. These people had problems! Thus was born a huge escapist cult. It's a mistake to put talented people on pedestals. I mean, Shakespeare wrote lousy plays (can you say "Titus Andronicus"?), van Gogh was a nightmare to try to live with, there was pettiness and silliness in the Impressionist group in nineteenth century Paris, which eventually broke the group up, and so on, and so on. In the end what matters is the great art these people gave us. How many times have we heard Bono say that celebrity is ridiculous? He's right. Incidentally, St. Jude is my own patron saint. I'm in a situation right now where if not getting tickets for this tour were the biggest drag in my life I'd be much happier, trust me. This isn't what has me cursing the day of my birth. I have to go the store today and get the black material for the tunic I'm wearing that day.

Excellent post Verte,

The whole idea of celebrity culture is quite strange. Am sure all of us at some stage wanted to be a singer in a famous rock n roll band or the star quarter back of superbowl winning team or the 5 times oscar winning actor that everyone loves. Only the lucky few are able to obtain such status and for the rest of us, to escape the daily routine of life, we maybe develop a link to these people that when its not returned, is seen as some sort of betrayal.

It all sounds very stalkerish, but I guess it can be seen on various levels, from the fans who hang out all day for days outside the studio or stadium or set of a movie in the hope of having a few seconds with their idol, to those who's daily life is affected by the actions or words of those they idolise.

I dunno.. i have a normal life and sure, if the star player of my fav soccer team turned out to be an asshole off the pitch, I am sure my opinion of him would change. Equally though, if he is still the best player on the pitch, why should my opinion change, because if he was never a footballer, i would never care.

On a slightly related note, I always wonder how ugly famous guys always have really good looking girlfriends or wives. Am sure they are wonderful people but take the celebrity aspect away and I am sure the woman will disappear just as quickly...

Sorry if I am being unfair on women!!! Just something I always noticed...

Last edited:
Thanks, partyboy. I'm sorry, folks, I have a real weakness for melodrama. I shouldn't say things like "cursing the day of my birth". I'm not a tsunami victim. I don't have HIV and I haven't lost a loved one to this terrible disease. There are people in much worse shape than I am. Depression does suck and leads me to hyperbolic :censored: like this. I do think I have the right to be pissed off at some stuff. I'd be a fool not to be pissed off at the people who've hurt me. OK, now my favorite American Cardinal, the late great Joseph Cardinal Bernardin of Chicago forgave someone who falsely accused him of sexual misconduct. There is talk in some quarters for starting a cause for his canonization. I support this. No one will ever start a cause for my canonization. The good Cardinal's power of forgiveness puts me to shame. He ended up giving his accuser his first Eucharist in a long time as well as the sacrament for the sick (he was a gay AIDS patient who died in 1995). Even if you're not Catholic, this is more the kind of person who deserves to be on a pedestal. After his death he became the first Cardinal to have a Jewish memorial service dedicated to him. He worked tirelessly to promote good relations between Jews and Christians. He could have retired for health reasons when he got cancer. Instead, he started a cancer patient's ministry. That's what he was, he died of pancreatic cancer in November of 1996, two months after receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He continued his work on the consistent life ethic, something that took alot of guts and character. If there were a Mt. Rushmore for U.S. religious figures he'd be among them.

Verte, melodrama is sometimes good. Its like the storm before the calm, it helps blow away the cobwebs and creates a fresher look at life. I've a couple of friends who suffer from depression, both are actually bi-polar which leads to lots of bouts of depression. Hopefully your bouts are no where near as serious? Either way, sunny days are always just a dawn away.

Used to live in Chicago years ago (from Ireland originally tho have decamped to London). Some really good communities in Chicago. Wonderful story about Cardinals scope for forgiveness. Some people are truly good!

Last edited:
Thanks, Partyboy. Damn, if Cardinal Bernardin forgave a guy who falsely accused him of something pretty horrible, why can't people forgive other stuff that's within the scope of human limitations? The last time I was exposed to this much hate was when my childhood church blew up with racism over the fact that some people in the church wanted to help an African American family. I quit that church, along with the rest of my family, including my mother who'd been a Sunday School teacher there. It was a horrible experience, but it taught me who my real friends were and who it was I needed to keep out of my life. I never, ever, thought this would happen in the U2 fan community. Now I know who my friends are and who I need to keep the hell out of my life. I'm gutted about this, but I guess this sort of thing happens in any large community. We have enough people here for a small town and it's a microcosm of humanity. Bad apples as well as good. Being disillusioned is no fun, but it's like death and taxes, it eventually kicks in. I just don't have to let it kick me in the ass. My next picture is going to be on the theme of Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", which I heard on the radio on the way home from the studio. I am a long-time fan of this band, and I've got to get that CD. No offense to U2, but they have 14 Grammies and GD has never gotten one, so I'll pull for them at the Grammies. That song sums up my feelings about this whole traumatic experience. Meanwhile I'm going to try to contact people who are trying to get Cardinal Bernardin canonized. He's a great role model, not just for Catholics, or even just Christians, but for all of us. I highly recommend his last book, finished just two weeks before his untimely death, called "The Gift of Peace".

Last edited:
I'm not bipolar. I do have rather nasty bouts of depression, this much unexpected change does freak me out pretty badly. Also, this stress-induced virus is also a depressing agent. There's no way for me to get rid of this damn thing. The stress from this trauma is too relentless. I admit it, sometimes I wish penicillin hadn't been invented when I had pneumococcal pneumonia, and the stupid bacteria had mercifully killed me at the age of six. Of course I really don't because I have parents and siblings who love me and would have been devastated. I wouldn't have grown up to become a U2 fan, a history student or an artist. But, Jesus asked to be spared that cup in the Garden of Gethsemane. It's sort of the same idea. It's the hard times when you grow spiritually, not the great times.

Last edited:
I think they are going to play two shows in Atlanta, damn, it's unfortunate that I can't go, but I'd be a fool to blow a chance to go to Turkey. And I'm pretty sure that I do have to pick between them. I have been reading what people are paying for tickets, and I can't do it. I'm just a little disappointed, I certainly am not pissed off or anything. What if I didn't have the chance to go to Turkey? That would be much worse. Some people can't do things like this and I should count my blessings.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I mean, hell, I have to have $$ to spend in the Grand Bazaar! I think the prices to the shows are simply out of my library-workers price range. Plus when I go to the Big Apple for my sister's wedding ceremony this spring I'll get to go for cheese blintzes and Polish sausage at the Ukrainian coffee shop and hit the St. Frances Cabrini Shrine. I have much to look forward to. This stuff will no doubt put me in a better frame of mind after all of this f:censored:g messy stuff that's been going on in my life.

Plus, even if I had all the money in the world that wouldn't help if, as I suspect, the Atlanta shows sell out in a matter of minutes before I get anything even though I'm qualified for the presale. I'm actually pretty lucky. I've seen U2 four times and there are people who haven't been able to see them and have been unlucky this tour.

Having something like going to Turkey on your horizon will def. put a smile on your face. Am off to Australia for 3 weeks in April. Between now and then I have a lot of cr*p with work and few other things to get through. But knowing OZ is waiting on the horizon is... well... makes everything a little more bearable! Turkey can do the same for you!

Definitely, Party Boy. I can just imagine how I'm absolutely going to flip out in the Ayasofia Museum, in a positive way, also the Blue Mosque, and places all over, for two whole weeks! I have HTDAAB, I love it, everything will be OK. I was a bit out of sorts yesterday because I have a bad cold. I feel better today. I'm going to a medieval re-enactment event today, that's something else I have to look forward to (although I do hate it when I end up in a cabin with a snoring machine in there). All in all, I'd be selfish as hell to complain about my life. The December stress and then the ticket fiasco did get to me for awhile, but I'll get over it and it'll just be a bad memory. C'est la vie.

A medieval re-enactment? We used to do those in my home town back in Ireland (town called Leixlip - viking word meaning leap of salmon - two rivers go through the town) and there are a couple of societys, one from UK (norman) and one from Denmark I think (viking) and they re-enact various battles aginst the Irish kings of the day. Quite interesting and they do go hell for leather at each other with real swords etc.. always a few flesh wounds at end of the day...

Egads! Flesh wounds? We don't get that in our group because we have really strict safety rules. Armor has to protect properly, the fighters use blunted "swords" and there are rules about how hard you're allowed to hit. If someone uses "excessive force", ooh, they get into all sorts of trouble. We do have plenty of injuries. Also we prevent dehydration, which is important in this semitropical climate by having "waterbearers" to give water to thirsty fighters. I have been a waterbearer myself for eons. The fighters love us!

Around here the biggest problem is actually dehydration, particularly in the summer when--I don't know how they do this--they get out there in all of that hot armor, pick up those big sticks and sometimes the heat index is as high as 115 Fahrenheit. Some of the fighters have a macho mentality about water--they think drinking it is a sign of weakness, and we've gotten heat exhaustion cases from this. This is a nightmare.

Last edited:
The other big headache is trying to prevent the fighters from getting drunk the night before--not because of anything moral, but that's very dehydrating. They need to have hydrated bodies *before* the tournament even begins, otherwise they won't last during the whole competition.

ah, we have completely opposite problem.. even in spring, it can be quite cold. DEf never ever have temp. around 115. A hot day in Ireland is probably 80 fahrenhiet. People who go on holidays in Ireland def. dont come to get a tan.

The big problem is drink tho.. we like a beer in Ireland so we do... any occasion is good enough. Usually there is a lot of hangovers and an over-riding smell of alcohol on the battle field...

Back
Top Bottom