I wonder if he will remember today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
My 75 year old dad lives about 45 minutes from us. Today, he joined us for church and lunch afterwards. He was able to make it because my sister (who lives in Virginia) is staying with him for 10 days to see first hand what has happened to our dad in the last 6 months.

His memory is going - and fast. Two weeks ago, the night before I was to leave town I receive a call from the Orange County Sheriff. They found my dad wandering around the community club house completely disoriented. He could remember where his car was and he didn't have his keys.

This was the second memory blank incident this year.

I raced over to his house, got him inside and located his car. If I had not known what had just happened and showed up to visit my dad, I might not have thought there was a serious problem. My dad can engage in light social discussion very well.

My wife (bless her heart, she had to do a lot of clean up work while I was on a business trip) got my dad to his doctor and a follow-up blood test visit (though, not without some hiccups) while I was on a business trip. We also go my sister up to speed on the situation, though she was a little skeptical about some of the details.

My sister's visit has been very enlightening for her. The day after she arrived, she was sitting with my dad when he looked at her and said "I want to go home now". They were sitting in his living room.

This morning, when my sister got up, my dad saw her and said "Well HELLO there!" as if he had not seen her in a while. She asked my dad if he remembered that she was staying with him. He replied that he remembered that someone was there, but couldn't remember who. He was dressed to out to breakfast and had forgotten about the plans we made the evening before.

We really need to make some big decisions about his care. The thought of assisted living is scary as it shows a loss of independence. But at the same time, we need to find a way that he can get daily care.

Your prayers would be appreciated.

This must be really hard for you - I can't even begin to imagine how I will handle this if/when the time comes for my parents and/or in-laws. My thoughts and prayers are with you :hug:

i remember when my grandfather starting going through a similar situation. :(

your father and the rest of your family are in my prayers. :hug:

nbc,

Has your dad been diagnosed with Alzheimer's?

I sympathize greatly with you. I'm currently one of the primary caretakers of my paternal grandmother, who was diagnosed years ago. As such, I've seen it all - her not remembering people she's known her whole life, forgetting that her parents have died, wandering, getting up at night with no sense of time or space, etc. She is now on a new, experimental drug, and is doing wonderfully on it.

I wish you and your family all the best in the months and years ahead. Your father is blessed to have you.

So sorry to hear your dad and you/your family are going through this struggle. My mom had Alzheimer's for a few years before passing away. The decisions are difficult, but necessary for your dad's safety.

A must read book is:

The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for Persons With Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementing Illnesses, and Memory Loss in Later Life by Nancy L. Mace, Peter V. Rabins

Here a couple of links that might help also:
The Alzheimer's Association

Assisted Living Federation of America

My prayers are with you all. :hug:

I am going through the very same thing with a close aunt. At times she knows me and other times she does not. It really breaks your heart.
So sorry Doug to hear about your father. :hug:

Thinking of you and your family :hug:

I'm happy and relieved to hear that your father was located by the police. I work as a police dispatcher and I can recount many incidents where an elderly person has been found wandering. There are many agencies out there that can assist you but before you do anything else get an id bracelet or pendant for your father with your contact info on it.

nbc, you're in my thoughts and prayers. This has got to be really hard. I'm dealing with issues with aging parents as well, it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.

We have a neurologist visit scheduled in the next couple weeks to screen for Alzheimer's.

Thank you all again. This is a wonderful place of support and kindness. :wave:

I'm sorry, Doug. :hug: And I can relate, too.

I've just returned from visiting my ageing mother in Virginia and her short term memory is pretty shot. She remembers important things, thankfully, but cannot remember what she told you 5 minutes ago, or what you told her. Given that she is one strong-willed, stubborn and independent woman, it will not be easy for my sisters and me when the time comes to make decisions about her long-term care. At least she knows her memory is failing and she constantly makes lists of things she needs to remember. She is frustrated by her failing memory and becomes angry when corrected. I returned very discouraged. :(

:hug:

This sounds all too familiar. Several of my family members have Alzheimer's, and it's extremely difficult for anyone to deal with.

I wish you the best of luck in making a decision in terms of care...it is very difficult I know. :hug: You're a good man with a big heart...your faith will help you through this.

Today my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My sisters and I have a tough road ahead.

How's your Dad, nbc?

Nbcrusader, joyfulgirl, U2democrat, and anyone else who's dealing with a family member with Alzheimer's, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families. My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago, and while luckily her decline has been pretty slow, it's getting to the point now where she doesn't know anyone in my family except my dad (her son), and she barely recognizes him anymore. :( It's a tough disease to deal with, and my prayers are with you all. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom