I don't like Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like them, but I think they're over-rated, and have some of the most annoying fans EVER (not anyone here :)). I could really take them or leave them. :shrug:

Salome said:
R.E.M.
Palace Music / Bonnie 'Prince' Billy / Will Oldham
Ryan Adams
The Beach Boys
Aphex Twin
John Coltrane
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Frank Zappa
AC/DC
Miles Davis
Gram Parsons
Townes van Zandt
The Pixies
The Pogues
Sonic Youth
Los Lobos
Tindersticks
Charlie Parker
Outkast
Oblivians
Marvin Gaye
Guided by Voices
Underworld

i have just heard a couple of songs of couple of groups you have mentioned :| .. i am mostly into britpop apart from U2 of course :)

radiohead
pink floyd
porcupine tree
oasis
blur
depeche mode
joy division
coldplay

do you think i will like one of the bands in your list

eh... i've tried getting into them. i've tried the "user friendly" appraoch. :shrug: just can't get into 'em. look... there's something to be said for making an album as a whole rather than just a collection of songs thrown together. i think the album is a lost art form, and i respect radiohead for leaning more that way. but shit... you can still have some great singles in there too. i dunno i'm not the biggest fan of pink floyd either... radiohead to me is just a pink floyd for today. a couple of good songs, a lot of inovation, but just doesn't do it for me.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
radiohead to me is just a pink floyd for today.

I hear this a lot but I have always despised Pink Floyd and yet Radiohead is my favorite band ever next to U2. :shrug: I think Radiohead is much more wild and soulful while Pink Floyd is too cold for me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not being able to get into Radiohead. We, for the most part ( ;) ), are all individuals, with our own unique tastes/brands.

I think Hail to the Thief is incredibly difficult to hear. I?m just sick of trying to get into booooooooooring songs like Sail to the Moon, or crap like The Gloaming or I Will. Altough I love 2+2=5, Sit Down, Got To Sleep, There There, Wold and Punchup the others are just... meh..

I wish they could put an album like Ok COmputer or Bends again. And I don?t mind if they put an album like Kid A, because that album was fucking brilliant. However, whe I listen to Amnesiac and HTTT I realize how Radiohead is becoming bad =/

I don?t think everything they are doing is brilliant... if you say "man, radiohead is bad" they will say "no don?t say that... so go and buy britney?s in the zone or get into avril lavigne". But I?m not talking about catchy or bizarre songs, I?m talking about good or bad songs.

Last edited:
This thread has made me think about my belief system regarding music, so I'm going to just flat out state it.

Music falls into 2 categories:

1 - Music you like to listen to
2 - Music you dont like to listen to

It's really not a big deal if you cant get into something. Lots of people get bent out of shape if someone doesnt like a certain band or song they like, the world will go on. We all have bands we like or dislike for no real explainable reason other than 'we just do'.

If you look at music like that, you'll never fall into believing that just because you dont like something, it for some reason has to 'suck' or be 'bad'. There is no reason for thinking you have to hate something just because you dont like it.

Bringing it back to the subject of the thread, dont sweat it if you dont like something everyone else likes, and conversly dont worry if you like something everyone else hates. There is honestly no real/tangible standard to judge music by, other than your own personal preferences. The only music reviewer that matters is yourself. No music is inherently better than, or worse than other music. Art is entertainment, how can anyone realistically say 'this is more entertaining than that'? Radiohead makes music that you can either enjoy or not enjoy. You dont have to do one thing or the other, it's all up to you.

Enjoy music for what it is, not what you (or others) want it to be.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Whenever Radiohead is discussed, it turns into a pissing contest. The avant garde pretentious image that the band receives from music-media (a misinformed assertion) seems to fuel the segregation between the casuals, the fans, and the non-fans. It's ignorant to suggest they should conform to any particular taste, as such a request would only dilute the musical development.

I would say I'm a fan, hoping to convey a non-subjective opinion (yay for paradox); you can judge the success. Let me at least say this: Radiohead, and bands of similar critical esteem are not infringing upon your musical palate. Their existence does not put into question the validity of your taste. It seems that when some are faced with this fallacy, they are content to project an attitude of negativity... to belittle others. Belief in this musical posturing and superiority is a rather immature pursuit. Within context it is appropriate to compare artists, but to marginalize their creative output by imposing your hierarchy of preference shows very little appreciation for artistry. Healthy, well-founded arguments can make discussions like these interesting... but I would advise not going down the road of posturing obtuseness towards the celebration of a musical idea.

It's one thing to jestingly remark upon a band, but to outright suppress others by some mode of pre-fabricated cynicism is not an appropriate avenue of conversation.

Whether you enjoy Radiohead or not is moot. But you should at least have respect for their intentions... realized or failed.

Last edited:
yeah cujo is smart but he keeps it a secret so he can shock us all.

either that or he felt ambitious and broke out the thesaurus :sexywink:

I think Radiohead is alright. I lost some of my luster for Radiohead after discovering how much more innovative Sigur Ros is.

Melon

wow, i didnt know cujo knew that many big words either. impressive. and i agree.

Clarity of argument leaves you open for scrutiny.

It's a substitute for substance.

:wink:

Most likely some jackass will quote this post and say...

"yeah, that's radiohead alright". :hyper:

Last edited:
Pinball Wizard said:
Clarity of argument leaves you open for scrutiny.

It's a substitute for substance.

:wink:

yeah, that's radiohead alright

I dislike Radiohead almost as much as I hate Coldplay. I can't enjoy listening to either because of the singers' annoying, whiney voices. I could never understand the appeal of these bands among U2 fans. I have been a U2 fan for 20 years but I don't like either one of these bands and don't get the connection.

U2Kitten said:
I could never understand the appeal of these bands among U2 fans. I have been a U2 fan for 20 years but I don't like either one of these bands and don't get the connection.

Well believe it or not, a lot of U2 fans like music that has nothing to do with U2! Diversity. :up:

joyfulgirl said:

Well believe it or not, a lot of U2 fans like music that has nothing to do with U2! Diversity. :up:

Duh, I know. I like some damn weird stuff myself most U2 fans wouldn't. What I was trying to say is that I don't understand how the 3 bands have come to be linked so hand in hand here, and some people treat you like if you're a U2 fan you must automatically worship these bands too or you are a jerk.

We bought 'Hail to the Thief' and the music wasn't bad, but it was almost something I'd rather have on background y'know? I just couldn't get into it... perhaps I'll try another album. I could never get into R.E.M. until I heard the song 'Losing my Religion'... man...I love that song. Anyway...

U2Kitten - I know what you mean, everyone always associates U2 with R.E.M., Radiohead, Coldplay, and Dave Matthews Band...maaan DMB gets on my nerves. I love some of their stuff, such as 'Crash Into Me,' but in general they annoy me and I don't understand why U2 is always compared to them. Coldplay I adore, but I don't think they're extremely U2-y...I dunno...but yeah, most of the stuff I like would make U2 fans raise an eyebrow. All the fans with raise one collective eyebrow.

Thanks Flarez. I have always liked REM but I don't understand how they are anything like U2! I really can't stand DMB either- like Radiohead and Coldplay, IMO they are very boring with annoying whiney voiced singers.

U2Kitten said:

Duh, I know. I like some damn weird stuff myself most U2 fans wouldn't. What I was trying to say is that I don't understand how the 3 bands have come to be linked so hand in hand here, and some people treat you like if you're a U2 fan you must automatically worship these bands too or you are a jerk.

When you look at the regulars who post in Radiohead threads over in Bang & Clatter (i.e. the people who love Radiohead the way they love U2), it's a very very small number of passionate people. I do not have the sense at all that most of the U2 fans here are Radiohead fans.

And I don't believe I've ever heard U2 compared to DMB except in terms of the passion each band's fans have for their live shows.

All 3 bands are very different, imo. I happen to like all 3 but I totally understand why some people don't.

And I think Bono annoys more people than Thom Yorke or Dave Matthews ever will!

Bono is not annoying :grumpy: And his voice is SO much better than those others it's not even fair :tsk:

yertle-the-turtle said:
I have a new confession:

I didn't know cujo knew that many big words. I hang my head in shame.

I was thinking the same thing! I don't know if I really soaked in what he wrote. I was paying attention to all of his fancy words.

:cute: our little boy is all grown up.

:sexywink:

U2Kitten said:
Bono is not annoying :grumpy: And his voice is SO much better than those others it's not even fair :tsk:

Sorry but I strongly disagree. Bono is very annoying to people who do not take the time to pay attention to what he is saying. I don't think it's his voice that turns people off as of late. You have to remember that you (figuativley speaking because I include myself here) are a fan and you need to step outside the U2 box to see what others think.

Want proof? I'll go get my sister, who used to be a casual U2 fan, until Bono was on the cover of Time magazine last year. She didnt read the article at all. She just saw the cover and was very turned off that a "rock star" would be on the cover of Time with the quote next to his picture (forgive me I don't have the mag handy to look at what it said). Now my sister cannot even stomach to hear a U2 song because that reminds her that "Bono annoys her."

Back
Top Bottom