I don't believe in religion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Science is bullshit, Religion is bullshit,

People are not bullshit, I believe there is an inherent goodness in mankind, some "faiths" have great philosophies but I'll pick and choose them to suit myself and the world around me, i.e. welcome to compassionate humanism:wink:

nbcrusader said:
First, you should ask yourself "Is there a God?"

Unless your answer is an absolute "no", the next question is "Who is God?"

what if one's answer is 'it doesn't matter'?.

acrobatman, i agree with your "no rules for prayer".
most people go to church for the security and togetherness, structure and awknowledgement that comes from being part of something. this is great for those who are not incredibly independant and secure in their own faith. i'm not being critical, i think going to church is a wonderful tradition. i don't attend services anymore because i can talk to my god anytime i want to, i'm not gonna wait till sunday to thank him for something today.
(and i'm a stubburn german born lutheran that doesn't like to change the words to stuff everytime we get a new pastor :madspit: )

kobayashi, if it doesn't matter and you're ok with that, then it doesn't matter.

ZeroDude said:
Science is bullshit, Religion is bullshit,

People are not bullshit, I believe there is an inherent goodness in mankind, some "faiths" have great philosophies but I'll pick and choose them to suit myself and the world around me, i.e. welcome to compassionate humanism:wink:

I prefer to think of it in these terms:
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
- Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941.

That said... :up: to compassionate humanism. Yay Erasmus!

religion and "compassionate humanism" mean nothing to me, especially in comparison to what modern science is capable of.

i find the religious to be assholes, and i find many "compassionate humanists" to be assholes as well. compassion my ass. what compassion? it's phony.

earthshell said:
i find the religious to be assholes, and i find many "compassionate humanists" to be assholes as well. compassion my ass. what compassion? it's phony.

Do you believe you are better than these people?

earthshell said:
religion and "compassionate humanism" mean nothing to me, especially in comparison to what modern science is capable of.

Which kind of compassionate humanists are you talking about ?

I was brought up a Catholic in a not too strict house. I've become lapsed somewhat over the past few years, more out of laziness and more out of the feeling that I don't need to go to church to believe in God, so I guess I am not such a fan of organised religion. This weeks events with passing of Pope has rekindled my faith somewhat.

That said, I do believe in God (whether its seen as a higher spirit or whatever). While organised religion has a lot of flaws, a lot of morals and code of conduct on how we should live comes from religion. My countries constitution is built around the teachings of Catholic Church (Ireland) which in turn has given most of my fellow countrymen a code to live by.

If you found out with concrete proof that God did NOT exist, how would you feel? Personally, I would feel very alone, depressed and my life would lose a huge amount of meaning.

A lot of religions asks its followers to have faith and to believe. A lot of people cannot believe in something they cannot see or touch which turns them away from religion.

Deep down however, I think these same people want to believe in something and would equally be as depressed if they found out that god truly did not exist.

Religion in whatever guise it comes in, is a very personal relationship between an individual and the God they believe in. I am glad I have this relationship and I'm sure in some peoples eyes, maybe I am foolish and sending prayers into the great emptiness of nothing. However, I get relief and comfort and no one can take that away from me and which I am grateful for.

Last edited:
Party Boy said:
Deep down however, I think these same people ......would equally be as depressed if they found out that god truly did not exist.

Nup. Why? I'm an athiest. If I thought for a minute there was a god/s I would admit so. The church is the pointy building. It's not difficult to locate.

beli said:

Nup. Why? I'm an athiest. If I thought for a minute there was a god/s I would admit so. The church is the pointy building. It's not difficult to locate.

Fair enough for you. Maybe I made a general sweeping statement with what I said. I should clarify the statement relates to people I know.

There is more to a religion than a pointy building. And like I said previously, personal relationship with the God you do believe in takes place outside of the pointy building.

beli said:
I meant, if I wanted help finding God, I know where the pointy building is. My apologies if that was unclear.

Um.. who was trying to help you find God?! I wasn't if you think for some reason I was??

If you do believe in a God or religion, you will find it everywhere, including the pointy building. If you don't believe, then yeah your right, the pointy building is a good place to start.

lol. Its late.

No I didnt think you were trying to help me find God. I meant if I did want to investigate into it I would walk into a church and ask questions. Churchs are easy to find, where I live anyway.

All I meant was I don't find it depressing not having a God. If I did find it depressing I'd go investigate the different God options.

beli said:
lol. Its late.

No I didnt think you were trying to help me find God. I meant if I did want to investigate into it I would walk into a church and ask questions. Churchs are easy to find, where I live anyway.

All I meant was I don't find it depressing not having a God. If I did find it depressing I'd go investigate the different God options.

Sorry if you thought I was having a go - your entitled to believe (or not as case may be!) in whatever you want. Similarly people who do believe in god should be allowed to believe without any prejudice etc. Btw, I might come across all very holy. In fact, if I went to confession tomorrow, I probably wont get out till Thursday. Thats the downside of being Catholic - this whole Catholic guilt thing is very much real!!

Btw, your in W. Australia? Am flying to Oz friday morning for 3 weeks holidays!!

Enjoy your holiday. I'm presuming your not visiting my side of the Isle.

The weather is good right now, its just turning into autumn so theres less stinking hot days. Its still warm enough for a tshirt and bare feet but its not brainfryingly hot.

Not this time. Going east coast to stay with some friends in both Sydney and Burliegh (about 45 mins north of Byron Bay). One of my sisters married an australian guy and they live in Perth plus I am probably moving to Malaysia with work end of the year so Western OZ will become a little closer to home soon..

I could make a bigoted (sp?) comment and ask if your sister lives in Rockingham or Kallaroo, but I won't. :wink:

When you are nearby you can attend the U2 Perth fan club meetings. Currently we have 2 members. Me and ME2U2 :mad:

Nah, both are full of Poms. But I just remembered that your brother in law is Australian so thats probably not applicable.

18kms out. I'm about 18kms out. North? East? or South? Im guessing you have no idea but I thought I would ask anyway.

beli said:
I could make a bigoted (sp?) comment and ask if your sister lives in Rockingham or Kallaroo, but I won't. :wink:

When you are nearby you can attend the U2 Perth fan club meetings. Currently we have 2 members. Me and ME2U2 :mad:

Please let me know when you are having your next membership drive. I would like to sign up.

Back to the topic.

To me (and I stress this is my opinion only) "religion" is an excuse for a lot of power hungry/control freaks to use fear (ie you won't get to heaven) to gain wealth and status through their particular churches. (I am not talking about the general population of a particular religious group more those who take on positions within a church and use/abuse).

NOW - before everyone has hysterics!

It doesn't mean that you can't have faith, but ANYBODY who practises the various edicts of their religion should have no need for many of the material possessions that many churches seem to have, especially when there are so many poor people in the world.

I guess that is why I am not of any particular religious denomination.

Oh and Party Boy, I live 18km's from Perth and its not in the sticks (lol)

18 clicks from Perth is the sticks if you saw where my sister and her hubby lives! Am not knocking it as it looks great!

Have no idea what direction other than they live no where near any poms .. surrounded by lots of nice australian folk (thats how my sister described the neighbours anyway...)

beli said:
Sorry Tania. We should get you and Palace to visit. :wink:

Or maybe we can trek down there. :mad:

:wink:

Oh, I know how hard it is for you north of the river types (LOL) but it would be great to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom